• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Give Dante a challenge

Exejpgwmv

Basically, make up your own, or find an already preexisting character/idea, that would give Dante a good, long, and hard "fight". (Remember, not something that would absolutely demolish Dante, but not something that's a cakewalk for him either.)

You can do this for both the rebooted and classic version. I only ask that you limit yourself to, at most, two enemies for each version of Dante.

Mine:
Classic Dante vs The Grudge
I mostly picked this one because It can't be solved purely via violence. Something like the grudge is basically omnipresent and extremely persistent(Which would ensure that Dante is always on guard). Now, you might argue that it's obvious that Dante is physically superior to the Grudge in almost every conceivable way.
But that's the thing, Classic Dante is a man of many talents, but killing what's already dead isn't one of them. No matter how many times he slashes, shoots, pounds, burns, electrocutes, or freezes her, she'll always comeback.

Which means that he'll have to go out and find a way to break the curse or seal her, whilst having to perpetually fend her off.
Also, If he finds out the nature of the curse and her past, he might become more reluctant to cause her physical harm.

New Dante vs Sparda
Mostly because Mundus became a "Demon King" through a loophole basically. He seemed more like a con-man who happened upon immortality and less of a legendary demon of staggering power. But Sparda seems to be different, he was a Demon King just because he was that damn powerful, so he would probably put up a much better fight.(And would probably make for a much better boss.)

Also, he knows Rebllion and all of Dante's demon weapons, better than Dante does. Remember, Rebellion and Arbiter were originally Sparda's, and he's been alive for thousands of years, so he's probably much more adept at using them than Dante is.
Plus, Sparda has been a warrior for thousands of years, giving him a vast amount of combat experience, and has most probably handled hundreds of different kinds of weapons. Making him possibly the most skilled warrior in the DmC universe.

Of course, because of Dante being half angel, he might out class his father in terms of physical prowess (Also magical power?), and Dante's angel weapons could give him an advantage as well.

Last edited:

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
1) Pit Classic Dante against Old Ones or Deep Ones. They are much more powerful than your average demon of the day, and with their mind-influincing powers they can pose much more threat than most of his enemies. They are much more stronger than raw physical force and may pose big enough threat for Dante to work hard for his win. Or make DMC version of them.

2) Make classic version of Munduss spawn. But not in form of ugly deranged baby, but in form of the demon hunter's assassin, who wants to take revenge for his father's defeat and release Mundus once again. S/he can be equally strong or even stronger than Dante and put his skills to a challenge and force him to work for the win. S/he can be good anti-Dante without being clone of him. Maybe give him/er same cheerful personality as Dante only with evil undertones :D

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
Are you referring to new Sparda or classic Sparda in the opening post? Cause in DmC, Sparda is not depicted as a particularly powerful demon at all.

Exejpgwmv

Are you referring to new Sparda or classic Sparda in the opening post? Cause in DmC, Sparda is not depicted as a particularly powerful demon at all.
New Sparda.
Mostly because he seemed to have become a Demon King via his own power/training.
While the only reason Mundus was considered a demon king was because he had the hell gate.(At least it seemed that way.)

And because I firmly believe that Sparda wasn't imprisoned because he was overwhelmed by Mundus's forces, but because he was fighting an enemy that couldn't die. (Basically, an unstoppable force.)

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
New Sparda.
Mostly because he seemed to have become a Demon King via his own power/training.
While the only reason Mundus was considered a demon king was because he had the hell gate.(At least it seemed that way.)

And because I firmly believe that Sparda wasn't imprisoned because he was overwhelmed by Mundus's forces, but because he was fighting an enemy that couldn't die. (Basically,

Actually, I remember Vergil explaining to Dante that Sparda was Mundus's brother, and he was his general. Not a Demon King. But anyway, I still consider new Sparda... well... kind of a pussy xD
It's also true, however, that veeery little is known or told about him. The game just gives me that feeling... that Sparda wasn't much of a badass.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Actually, I remember Vergil explaining to Dante that Sparda was Mundus's brother, and he was his general. Not a Demon King. But anyway, I still consider new Sparda... well... kind of a pussy xD
It's also true, however, that veeery little is known or told about him. The game just gives me that feeling... that Sparda wasn't much of a badass.
Brother as in "brother in arms" and of just basically demonic kin, I don't think really biologically.

How is he a pussy? Just because he isn't arbitrarily decided to be the most powerful thing in the universe driving any plot point Devil May Cry pulls out of its ass? Sparda in DmC is an actual character with some potential to do things with.

I actually discussed a possible villain to come out of a broken Sparda that escapes his torment after years and years of torture dealing with all what Mundus has done to him and the death of Eva. That would be kinda cool. Insane Sparda going on a rampage Dante has to fight against that would also pave way for Dante to become the Legendary Knight instead of his father.

Dante previously always just seemed to live in his father's shadow no matter what he did. DmC actually puts Dante's tale at the forefront instead of a journey made because of something to do with his dad.

In the original series, Sparda wasn't a character, he was a plot device.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
Well, they could have at least told us that Sparda fought back before getting captured, or something... the way they describe that, looks like he didn't even try, he just surrendered. That doesn't exactly make me feel he was not kind of a pussy, you know...

Lord Nero

Ultraviolet Sentinel
''Dante previously always just seemed to live in his father's shadow no matter what he did.''
Dante defeats Mundus in DMC1, rivaling Sparda. I think it's been implied one or two times that he surpassed Sparda, and he cleans up Sparda's mess, as Dante said himself. As for living in his father's shadow when it comes to popularity, I don't think Dante wanted popularity.

I'm pretty sure Sparda is just a plot device in both DmC and DMC. He's not a character, he doesn't do anything. Like in DMC, he's just part of the background story, nothing more.

Exejpgwmv

I think he's stated to be a Demon King in, "The Chronicles of Vergil".

Exejpgwmv

Well, they could have at least told us that Sparda fought back before getting captured, or something... the way they describe that, looks like he didn't even try, he just surrendered. That doesn't exactly make me feel he was not kind of a pussy, you know...
In one of the cut scenes Sparda is shown struggling against chains held by demons, which symbolizes his resisting.

And let's not forget, he was a major help in conquering demon kind, Hell, and Earth.
And I'm pretty sure Mundus wouldn't want a "right hand man", that was complete weak-sauce in terms of fighting power.

Last edited:

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
In one of the cut scenes Sparda is shown struggling against chains held by demons, which symbolizes his resisting.

Come on, you know what I mean. I mean actually trying to fight and kill those demons that held him. But anyway, this is going op, let's drop this.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
He did fight back. When Dante is going around the mansion in Limbo, you're hearing all kinds of past events and Sparda was ordering men to seal a door trying to keep people out etc.

He wasn't the most powerful thing ever. Mundus was the leader for a reason. His sons were considerably stronger than him too because they had the perk of being Nephillim.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
''Dante previously always just seemed to live in his father's shadow no matter what he did.''
Dante defeats Mundus in DMC1, rivaling Sparda. I think it's been implied one or two times that he surpassed Sparda, and he cleans up Sparda's mess, as Dante said himself. As for living in his father's shadow when it comes to popularity, I don't think Dante wanted popularity.

I'm pretty sure Sparda is just a plot device in both DmC and DMC. He's not a character, he doesn't do anything. Like in DMC, he's just part of the background story, nothing more.
I said there was hypothetical potential to do more with him because he is actually still alive. Since Dante and Vergil took down Mundus and the demonic world went all out of whack, maybe they can't keep Sparda imprisoned much longer. It's just speculation.

And how would even measure how powerful Dante is? You got a scouter on him? They just seem to have him do whatever when a scene calls for it for the sake of cool.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
He did fight back. When Dante is going around the mansion in Limbo, you're hearing all kinds of past events and Sparda was ordering men to seal a door trying to keep people out etc.

Well, that's not fighting back, retreating and shutting doors. I mean actually taking arms and try and kill the demons. He might have tried, maybe, but the game just doesn't tell us so. But that's something for another thread, I guess. To the topic, before mods force us to do so ;)

Last edited:

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Well, that's not fighting back, retreating and shutting doors. I mean actually taking arms and try and kill the demons. He might have tried, maybe, but the game just doesn't tell us so. But that's something for another thread, I guess. To the topic, before mods force us to do so ;)
Who said he didn't? It's making it clear that he didn't just roll over and let himself be taken. He was still able to get his children out and to safety.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
Who said he didn't? It's making it clear that he didn't just roll over and let himself be taken. He was still able to get his children out and to safety.

And who says he did take up arms and FIGHT either. Exactly, no one.
The game just doesn't give me the feeling that this new Sparda was a badass. Just the opposite. Might be wrong, since he was Mundus's general after all, but still, that's what the game communicates me.

Last edited:

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
And who says he did take up arms and FIGHT either. Exactly, no one.
The game just doesn't give me the feeling that this new Sparda was a badass. Just the opposite. Might be wrong, since he was Mundus's general after all, but still, that's what the game communicates me.
It's easy to assume he didn't roll over like a b!tch. It's shown he was fighting back. He was Mundus's right hand man, and like I said, he was able to fend off his forces long enough to get his children to safety.

You're really reaching with this whole thing.

Top Bottom