• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Get In Their Faces - Closing the gap with a bit of style

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
So, I've always noted that some people, especially among those new to the game, can't figure out how to approach enemies after a knockback, or just how to get to them quickly to initiate a combo.
I see them relying on the simple run, but...

UmOCDSIlTODFS.gif

Yeah, ain't too elegant, is it. Disrupts the flow of combat, feels and looks awkward.

Now, to those who have a certain amount of experience with the series, this is not gonna be any news at all, but there are better ways to close the gap between you and the enemy than running. In fact, you can use attacking moves to do it.

For example, you know Stinger? Every character has a move similar in concept to that one, where you dart forward and hit the enemy. And in DMC4, unlike its predecessor, the recovery time after such moves is reduced, so it is possible to chain them one right after the other, so you can see how that's already a faster and less awkward way to get in.

PVtQbJVsjSGzu.gif

But you can see the problem there, these moves knock the enemy back, and you're in the same predicament again. So that ain't ideal. But that's not the only way. Each character has their efficient methods of getting close to the enemy, and I shall show you a few.
Once again, this ain't anything new to the average Devil May Cry player, this thread is supposed to help a little bit the very fresh newbies, and I won't illustrate every single way the characters have to close distances, cause there are so many, you just gotta use some experimentation. I will show a few ways to get in, so you can enter that mentality of using moves to traverse distance rather than purely attacking.​

NERO

It only makes sense to start with the main guy, right?

Honestly, Nero arguably has the easiest time closing the distance between him and his enemies, mainly thanks to his Devil Bringer. However, although its maximum range is quite good, it can't cover big distances and there might be situations where you need to get close enough for the enemy to be in DB's range.

Thankfully, Nero has a couple of moves that help greatly with that. Namely, Streak and Calibur.
Streak is pretty much his version of Dante's Stinger while Calibur is basically Streak in mid air. So you can use the two to approach before using the DB or doing anything else you want.

O2OohtncoaGe4.gif

^
That is just an example. You can create your own sequence by combining the moves however you want.

DANTE

Dante doesn't have many attacks that cover distance, but has a whole Style dedicated to movement. Trickster allows you an incredibly high mobility and you can use its moves in a lot of ways that would take too long to illustrate them all.
By default, the Style lets you dash forward, but unlike DMC3, you can't chain up to 3 dashes one right after the other, as there is a big recovery after it.

4NuFDlhUCR95K.gif

See? So spamming it ain't ideal. There is a way to get around this recovery, but for a new player it can be pretty hard to pull off. However, for the sake of information, and in case you wanna practice it later on, I'll illustrate it anyway.

It's called Guard cancel. The Royalguard parry has the property of canceling Dante's animation, even those seemingly uncancelable, like Million Stab's. And including the Trickster dash.
That means that, if you switch between Trickster and Royalguard really fast, you can cancel every Trickster dash with the Royal parry and immediately after that, input another dash, and so on. This will make it so that the dashes will come out a lot faster than if you just spam them.

90x0Wvn2rrz2w.gif

Again, it's hard to get the hang of it, and requires practice and quick fingers. Luckily, the dash is not the only trick up Dante's sleeve (see what I did there?).
As you upgrade the Style, you gain the ability to teleport forward. It has a set range though, so it doesn't automatically teleport you right into the enemy's face. But you can chain up to two without recovery time and you can combine it with other moves. A quick and simple example.

iY7K5IHxNEqWs.gif

There's also Sky Star, which lets you dash in mid air. Mix all those things up.

Now, Dante in Devil Trigger is another story. While in DT, he can perform as many dashes as you want, so there you can spam them.

ve8pXA0hsA9dS.gif

You still have a limited amount of teleports and Sky Stars though, so be aware of that.

LADY

Well, Lady is a particular case cause she mostly focuses on ranged combat so closing the distance between her and the enemies is not as relevant, but just in case that you wanna do that, she doesn't have a lot of ways to. In fact, she has more moves to get away from them than anything.

I'd say the primary tool she has is the shotgun Stinger, but it causes knockback so you're better off using it after you lift the enemy in the air with her hook. So it will whiff and you can follow up with stuff.

6xmkkEHhVtdqU.gif

TRISH

Aside from Lady, Trish is the one that struggles the most in getting close to enemies. She only has one Stinger-ish move, and it's only available without Sparda, not even covering much distance at all. So I would suggest (ab)using Air Hike and the dive kick. However she does have a move that draws enemies to her so you can make up for what she lacks in mobility with that.

KzWK6E94lugne.gif

Something like that.

Vergil, I'm gonna leave him out cause closing distances is not a problem for him whatsoever, his teleport will get him right where the targeted enemy is.

So, if you that you're reading, have problems with getting in enemies' faces relatively seemlessly, I hope this thread helped you a bit, and don't forget to experiment, Devil May Cry's gameplay is all about that. Try mixing each character's tools up in different ways and come up with SSStylish stuff! Cause style matters, even when just moving around. :wink:

Top Bottom