• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Gears of War 3 Review Round-up

Dark Drakan

Admin
Gears-of-War-3-Release-Date2.jpg

With the highly anticipated 3rd person shooter Gears of War 3 only a matter of days away, most websites have started to release their review scores for the title. Here is a round-up of the ones ive seen...

Gamespot - 9.5 (Editors Choice)

Ember To Inferno

Eternal Rest
Well, there's nothing below an 8. And an 8 is an incredibly high score. Makes me glad I've had this on pre-order since January lol. Thanks for the link too, I'm going to read them all to get the most out of the game in anticipation. And I just woke up, nothing to do.

Dark Drakan

Admin
Well, there's nothing below an 8. And an 8 is an incredibly high score. Makes me glad I've had this on pre-order since January lol. Thanks for the link too, I'm going to read them all to get the most out of the game in anticipation. And I just woke up, nothing to do.

Ive been reading through them too and watching video reviews most of the morning. I only pre-ordered last week as i didnt realise the release was so close and its most unlike me not to know the exact date a games being released as soon as its announced. Been looking forward to it for a long time though and hearing all the praise is very good news.

Ember To Inferno

Eternal Rest
Ive been reading through them too and watching video reviews most of the morning. I only pre-ordered last week as i didnt realise the release was so close and its most unlike me not to know the exact date a games being released as soon as its announced. Been looking forward to it for a long time though and hearing all the praise is very good news.
It's very good news indeed. Since you've been reading the reviews longer than I, do you know of any universally commented negatives to the game? If any at all? Perhaps starting with the 8 reviews is a great way for me to answer my own question.

Dark Drakan

Admin
It's very good news indeed. Since you've been reading the reviews longer than I, do you know of any universally commented negatives to the game? If any at all? Perhaps starting with the 8 reviews is a great way for me to answer my own question.

Only things they have said is that its predictable in some parts and some cheesy dialogue and kind of to be expected really. Also Epic playing it safe and not changing anything major but they say why try and fix something which wasnt broken more evolution rather than revolution.

Ember To Inferno

Eternal Rest
Only things they have said is that its predictable in some parts and some cheesy dialogue and kind of to be expected really. Also Epic playing it safe and not changing anything major but they say why try and fix something which wasnt broken more evolution rather than revolution.

Personally, I wouldn't want anything to be changed too much with the new Gears of War. The familiar and defining cover system/gameplay is what makes me play Gears. Taking a risk to "Change" the gameplay could go either way, resulting into something innovative or ruining the franchise via the final game. This is just me however.

Cheesy dialogue doesn't really affect me, as well as the game being predictable. Unless they mean the AI is predictable? Ah well, I hope you enjoy the game. Are you going at it with friends or solo? Never played Gears in single player, so I've rounded a few friends lol.

Dark Drakan

Admin
Personally, I wouldn't want anything to be changed too much with the new Gears of War. The familiar and defining cover system/gameplay is what makes me play Gears. Taking a risk to "Change" the gameplay could go either way, resulting into something innovative or ruining the franchise via the final game. This is just me however.

Cheesy dialogue doesn't really affect me, as well as the game being predictable. Unless they mean the AI is predictable? Ah well, I hope you enjoy the game. Are you going at it with friends or solo? Never played Gears in single player, so I've rounded a few friends lol.

I think they only signalled it as a slightly minor gripe because so many other areas had been improved on and given a makeover. The game maybe didnt have as many wow moments as previous ones because they expected them after previous games set pieces.

The dialogue was expected to be cheesy in some parts as its a bunch of macho, bullish guys (and some girls now) all killing, shouting and shooting so very little time for any Oscar worthy lines i suppose. Ive enjoyed the previous ones and they say in most cases that this is the best Gears yet and finishes off the trilogy well so i know im going to be a fan of it. I shall play it alone to begin with i think and then get some friends on Live and give the 4 player a go as well as horde mode.

Ember To Inferno

Eternal Rest
I think they only signalled it as a slightly minor gripe because so many other areas had been improved on and given a makeover. The game maybe didnt have as many wow moments as previous ones because they expected them after previous games set pieces.

The dialogue was expected to be cheesy in some parts as its a bunch of macho, bullish guys (and some girls now) all killing, shouting and shooting so very little time for any Oscar worthy lines i suppose. Ive enjoyed the previous ones and they say in most cases that this is the best Gears yet and finishes off the trilogy well so i know im going to be a fan of it. I shall play it alone to begin with i think and then get some friends on Live and give the 4 player a go as well as horde mode.

Macho, bullish guys could not be more correct. This review I read just now was comparing Delta Squad to dinosaurs. Large, thick, and muscular dudes who scream a lot, yet apparently have the brain of a nut lol. They look like they belong in Warhammer to be honest. And yeah, not many lines too do in war aside form yell. All I remember from the multiplayer in the second game is everyone yelling "Revive me!" lol.

"The best Gears yet" is enough for me to be ready. Again, thanks for taking the time to put all of these reviews here. Wish there was a better way to say thank you aside from words.

Dark Drakan

Admin
Macho, bullish guys could not be more correct. This review I read just now was comparing Delta Squad to dinosaurs. Large, thick, and muscular dudes who scream a lot, yet apparently have the brain of a nut lol. They look like they belong in Warhammer to be honest. And yeah, not many lines too do in war aside form yell. All I remember from the multiplayer in the second game is everyone yelling "Revive me!" lol.

"The best Gears yet" is enough for me to be ready. Again, thanks for taking the time to put all of these reviews here. Wish there was a better way to say thank you aside from words.

Yeah i wouldnt have expected them to be quoting Shakespeare in the middle of battle or anything to be honest. Most action movies have some cheesy dialogue and predictable parts but plot twists and brilliant action sequences make them classics the same way that Gears has became the benchmark 3rd person shooter.

The fact they have improved on most things from previous titles is a credit to Epic as the previous 2 titles were superb too and they seemed to have improved all the areas that needed improvement and polished the ones that didnt need fixing.

A thanks and people commenting on the articles is enough. :D

Ember To Inferno

Eternal Rest
Yeah i wouldnt have expected them to be quoting Shakespeare in the middle of battle or anything to be honest. Most action movies have some cheesy dialogue and predictable parts but plot twists and brilliant action sequences make them classics the same way that Gears has became the benchmark 3rd person shooter.

The fact they have improved on most things from previous titles is a credit to Epic as the previous 2 titles were superb too and they seemed to have improved all the areas that needed improvement and polished the ones that didnt need fixing.

A thanks and people commenting on the articles is enough. :D

Epic games really makes some epic games. Polishing perfected game mechanics is no easy treat. I really didn't see a way to make the cover system better in Gears 2. And apparently they've made it better. You get into cover faster, and the running is now faster too. And looking at the new weapons in the reviews really makes me wish I had played the beta. The One Shot, Retro Lancer, and Sawed-Off Shotgun are completely epic. And the silverback looks like something I could get into and blow up every locust/lambent dude ever! :D The more I talk about it, the longer 2 days seem.

I hope Skyrim does the same as Gears though, because it too is taking everything I loved and making it look even better. Just hope there's plenty of mod support to back it up. I need to upgrade my computer for it soon as well.

Dark Drakan

Admin
Epic games really makes some epic games. Polishing perfected game mechanics is no easy treat. I really didn't see a way to make the cover system better in Gears 2. And apparently they've made it better. You get into cover faster, and the running is now faster too. And looking at the new weapons in the reviews really makes me wish I had played the beta. The One Shot, Retro Lancer, and Sawed-Off Shotgun are completely epic. And the silverback looks like something I could get into and blow up every locust/lambent dude ever! :D The more I talk about it, the longer 2 days seem.

I hope Skyrim does the same as Gears though, because it too is taking everything I loved and making it look even better. Just hope there's plenty of mod support to back it up. I need to upgrade my computer for it soon as well.

You can now kick enemies when vaulting over cover so there isnt that awkward moment where you vault into an enemy and have to wait until the animation is finished to attack them. The cover and shooting mechanics in a whole just seem like they have been polished and tightened up. I didnt manage to play the Beta either but in a way im glad as it shall be a total surprise when i do get my hands on it and its been a really long time since ive played Gears 2.

Skyrim looks to have improved everything from Oblivion and the list of improvements and overhauls really is quite spectacular, ive been stunned by the attention to detail Bethesda have shown. They have also stated that they are trying to do their very best to get the mod tools to the community and are excited to see what the modders can do with Skyrim.

Ember To Inferno

Eternal Rest
You can now kick enemies when vaulting over cover so there isnt that awkward moment where you vault into an enemy and have to wait until the animation is finished to attack them. The cover and shooting mechanics in a whole just seem like they have been polished and tightened up. I didnt manage to play the Beta either but in a way im glad as it shall be a total surprise when i do get my hands on it and its been a really long time since ive played Gears 2.

Skyrim looks to have improved everything from Oblivion and the list of improvements and overhauls really is quite spectacular, ive been stunned by the attention to detail Bethesda have shown. They have also stated that they are trying to do their very best to get the mod tools to the community and are excited to see what the modders can do with Skyrim.

"You can now kick enemies when vaulting over cover."

I can not say how many times I have been blasted by a shotgun from a distance doing such a thing (seriously, Gear of War's shotguns have insane range). Having to wait a whole second to do anything aside from the movement within the animation always makes me go "Don't shoot me" in my head, whilst repeating it over and over. And you have a point with the beta, it will make for a better surprise. Also my temptation would have been worse, having already had a slight teaser to the game and then having to wait even longer for it :D. I did this with Uncharted 3, and I regret it lol.

And the modders in Oblivion did some really excellent work. The armor, swords, custom quests, and even maps were absolutely beautiful. I would go on about Bethseda, however I feel I may get off topic to the thread, sorry for bringing Skyrim up.

Dark Drakan

Admin
"You can now kick enemies when vaulting over cover."

I can not say how many times I have been blasted by a shotgun from a distance doing such a thing (seriously, Gear of War's shotguns have insane range). Having to wait a whole second to do anything aside from the movement within the animation always makes me go "Don't shoot me" in my head, whilst repeating it over and over. And you have a point with the beta, it will make for a better surprise. Also my temptation would have been worse, having already had a slight teaser to the game and then having to wait even longer for it :D. I did this with Uncharted 3, and I regret it lol.

And the modders in Oblivion did some really excellent work. The armor, swords, custom quests, and even maps were absolutely beautiful. I would go on about Bethseda, however I feel I may get off topic to the thread, sorry for bringing Skyrim up.

Yeah that split second could be disastrous, especially if you dont see the enemy on the other side of the wall. By the time you vaulted over the wall and over them and turned around they had hit you and you found yourself bleeding out and not sure who attacked you.

Id love to see what the modders could do with the Dragons in Skyrim. Its ok, its another AAA title thats out soon that i shall no doubt make a similar thread about at the time the review scores come out.

Ember To Inferno

Eternal Rest
Yeah that split second could be disastrous, especially if you dont see the enemy on the other side of the wall. By the time you vaulted over the wall and over them and turned around they had hit you and you found yourself bleeding out and not sure who attacked you.

Id love to see what the modders could do with the Dragons in Skyrim. Its ok, its another AAA title thats out soon that i shall no doubt make a similar thread about at the time the review scores come out.

I usually have even worse luck than bleeding out. The shotgun they're always holding just blasts me into a million different pieces for an instant kill, not even a chance. And with the new Sawn-Off Shotgun being even stronger, there's a possible repeat. I hope the kick mechanic will allow me to knock them off guard prior to them being able to pull off a shot with an active reload with one of those things. Even the AI could do this to you if it felt like it lol. However it's only a minor gripe, as having it done to you is still fun. Makes for good laughs around friends in local play.

And I can't wait for your thread on Skyrim, it'll be good to catch up with the insane amount of info with that game that comes out with it.

Dark Drakan

Admin
I usually have even worse luck than bleeding out. The shotgun they're always holding just blasts me into a million different pieces for an instant kill, not even a chance. And with the new Sawn-Off Shotgun being even stronger, there's a possible repeat. I hope the kick mechanic will allow me to knock them off guard prior to them being able to pull off a shot with an active reload with one of those things. Even the AI could do this to you if it felt like it lol. However it's only a minor gripe, as having it done to you is still fun. Makes for good laughs around friends in local play.

And I can't wait for your thread on Skyrim, it'll be good to catch up with the insane amount of info with that game that comes out with it.

Yeah well that should balance things somewhat at least and not lead to so many of those situations. Liking the look of the alternate Horde mode where you get to be a locust, looks a blast.

Quite a bit of info out there already on the customisation and details of things you can do in the game. Its looking utterly stunning thats for sure and my most anticipated game of the year.

Ember To Inferno

Eternal Rest
Yeah well that should balance things somewhat at least and not lead to so many of those situations. Liking the look of the alternate Horde mode where you get to be a locust, looks a blast.

Quite a bit of info out there already on the customisation and details of things you can do in the game. Its looking utterly stunning thats for sure and my most anticipated game of the year.

The alternate Horde mode is what I'm currently looking at gameplay for. How do you embed videos in this site? I'll gladly post it here in case anyone else wishes to view it. However I can not find a thread or post on it via the search bar. And thank Epic for helping with those situations, otherwise I'd just keep getting blown to chunks lol.

And yeah, shouting a thunderstorm to destroy your enemies is one of the more creative things I have ever seen. :D Skyrim is absolutely my single player game this year. Supposedly 300+ hours too in the vanilla game.

Dark Drakan

Admin
The alternate Horde mode is what I'm currently looking at gameplay for. How do you embed videos in this site? I'll gladly post it here in case anyone else wishes to view it. However I can not find a thread or post on it via the search bar. And thank Epic for helping with those situations, otherwise I'd just keep getting blown to chunks lol.

And yeah, shouting a thunderstorm to destroy your enemies is one of the more creative things I have ever seen. :D Skyrim is absolutely my single player game this year. Supposedly 300+ hours too in the vanilla game.

If they are youtube links you merely add the ID code of the link into media tags like this:

Original link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-dd47lVF90

[MEDIA=youtube]I-dd47lVF90[/MEDIA]

Ends up like this:

Ember To Inferno

Eternal Rest
I recommend 720P quality.

Thanks for telling me!

And from what I have seen out of Beast Mode, my only problem so far is the very short time according to the video. It appears you have about a minute at most per wave to kill the humans in time. You also start off with lower locust units until you kill enemies or break down their barriers, destroy their mechs, etc. Until you can buy the bigger locust guys.

Dark Drakan

Admin
Thanks for telling me!

And from what I have seen out of Beast Mode, my only problem so far is the very short time according to the video. It appears you have about a minute at most per wave to kill the humans in time. You also start off with lower locust units until you kill enemies or break down their barriers, destroy their mechs, etc. Until you can buy the bigger locust guys.

No problem.

Im sure if people start saying anything negative about it Epic will tweak it with patches and mix things up a little.

Ember To Inferno

Eternal Rest
No problem.

Im sure if people start saying anything negative about it Epic will tweak it with patches and mix things up a little.
I completely forgot about patches. Which was pretty foolish of me, since I had just downloaded a patch for Dead Island today :confused:. Ah well. And even now as it is, Beast Mode looks really fun to play. I just hope these people were playing on a lower difficulty, because the human AI sometimes acted completely dumb.

Top Bottom