• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Gaming hysteria

Games need to have more harder modes?

• Yes, I have completed all games and can take more.

Votes: 11 57.9%
  • No, I find them traumatic and disturbing.

Votes: 8 42.1%

• Total voters

cheezMcNASTY

Entertain me.
Premium
any game easier than Ninja Gaiden 1 (which is the hardest 3d game i have ever played) is too easy and is therefore for casual gamers.

The only game that I completed on all of the mods was DMC3. <_<
I already have 32 games installed on my PC and there's not much time to play all of the mods.

Captain Ren

Tribble
for me, playing on a harder mode should offer more content (areas, weapons or whatever the hell you want) instead of simply lol you do no damage and i kill you in one hit lololol

aka958

Don't trust people
cheezMcNASTY;261918 said:
any game easier than Ninja Gaiden 1 (which is the hardest 3d game i have ever played) is too easy and is therefore for casual gamers.

DOOM 3 on nightmare mode. That's all I have to say. :p

cheezMcNASTY

Entertain me.
Premium
aka958;261923 said:
DOOM 3 on nightmare mode. That's all I have to say. :p

i have to confess i haven't played doom 3 :lol:
but on ninja gaiden very hard mode it is literally impossible to complete by conventional means. a whole new style of gameplay is necessary to do it. unless you find a way to do combat that utilizes iframes (periods of animated combat and invincibility) you don't stand a chance. i don't know if you've tried it, but once you lose your iframes you die in about 4 seconds.

how bad could a shooter possibly be? :huh:

aka958

Don't trust people
A shooter were you usually have 100 health as normal on Nightmare mode you only have 25 health and if you gain more it slowly decrease to 25 again. The weakest enemy can damage you for over 30 damage if they are lucky, and your lucky if they damage you for 15.
A game where enemies do rush into you and sometimes it feels like it's impossible to pass without getting hit, or in this case, killed.
You have to utilize the soul cube for quick rushes and run with the small health boost you'll get. One hit pretty much means death to you.
You can save anywhere and at anytime so that takes away a little difficulty as you can save before going somewhere and learn where every monster spawns. That doesn't change the fact that you will die, and die many times.

The only thing I've come close to Very Hard on Ninja Gaiden is doing missions on Very Hard. I could even beat some missions on Master Ninja! Proud of myself! xP

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014

FALSE! Have you ever played Metroid Prime? That game is easier by a long shot, but it sure as hell ain't for casual gamers.

Meg

Well if Ninja Gaiden is the hardest game and anything easier is for 'casual' gamers then Ninja Gaiden is the only game for 'hardcore' gamers then? Yeeeeah no. :p

BlueDevil

Super Penguin Number 2
Premium
I love a good challenge...it might make me mad a few times, but I say that any game (aside from classic arcade games and such) that can make me do a part several times, or even several DOZEN times (thank you Armored Core 2) is great to me. I don't like getting through a game easily...it makes it...less satisfactory to beat. It's like if it wasn't hard, then I really just wasted my time doing with a video game what I could do with a book or a movie, which is learn a story. Challenges are what I thrive off of while gaming.

Ronan

oakheart
Premium
BlueDevil;261954 said:
I love a good challenge...it might make me mad a few times, but I say that any game (aside from classic arcade games and such) that can make me do a part several times, or even several DOZEN times (thank you Armored Core 2) is great to me. I don't like getting through a game easily...it makes it...less satisfactory to beat. It's like if it wasn't hard, then I really just wasted my time doing with a video game what I could do with a book or a movie, which is learn a story. Challenges are what I thrive off of while gaming.

I'll have to agree with you there. The harder the mode, the better I'll feel after beating it. Challenges are what I live for, after all ^_^

aka958

Don't trust people
BlueDevil;261954 said:

Tonks;261973 said:
I'll have to agree with you there. The harder the mode, the better I'll feel after beating it. Challenges are what I live for, after all ^_^

I agree I agree! Here here! *jumps to show I'm present*

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
You guys are crazy, seriously. Harder doesn't mean more fun, it just means more frustrating and it ends up as just a way to see how assholeish the game developers are.

aka958

Don't trust people
DreadnoughtDT;261980 said:
You guys are crazy, seriously. Harder doesn't mean more fun, it just means more frustrating and it ends up as just a way to see how assholeish the game developers are.

We've explained why we like it already. The only defense you've used against it is that it is frustrating.

I'm gonna say something now. The reason I play games is for a challenge nowadays. Unless it's an RPG, then it's for the story and awesome characters as well. :cool:
The soundtrack is a bonus, a very good bonus! <.<

I like it when I finally meet something I can't be a total bad*ss with and actually get a challenge. I find DMD in DMC4 and DMC3 far too... easy... <.< I want harder than that. But not like Ninja Gaiden since I hate it's controls.

Devil Bane

God Slaying Blades
^Excactly what Chaos said.Sometimes a harder difficulty is good for improving our skills.I'm not saying that all games must have it.But if possible,I'd like to see some games have that option like a...say...new game plus on a harder difficulty.

Though it seriously depends on the games and by no way should the best unlockables be hidden at the hardest difficulties.Not all gamers can make it there.[Remembers Ninja Gaiden 1 's Master Ninja mode...]

aoshi

I don't see how exactly are skills improved in uber-hard difficulties?

Are'nt skills relative and need to be consistent? I can't play 2 or more games at same time on such difficulties with each character having its own strength and weakness.Also , some difficulties require cheap strats such as invincibility for a few seconds which need to be capitalised to beat the game. Any other strat will jus be a luck by chance. Eg: In GODHAND = releasing godhand makes u invincible for a few seconds and rest of the fight is to increase the godhand guage by consistent dodging and attacks. I would also prefer comprehensive strats to beat the game than enemy AI knocking my teeth out by end of game and be saved by game options.Second half of arkham mission on DMD was plain survival with nevan and kilina ann.

It is hard to achieve as each character has it's own style. I might suffer from multiple personality syndrome.But with adequate time, I think it is achievable but i feel meh at the end of the game. Eg : DMD - DMC3 , Capcom Vs SNK 2(Boss battle mode - relied mostly on supers to get through mode.)

And i think anyone else would have stuck to the same.

CVS 2 Boss battle mode

Meg

^ I think what they're saying is that playing a game on hard difficulty modes makes you better at that game and can translate to other games of that genre if you play them enough.

aoshi

Other games in same genre - I am not sure though as each game has its own engine where timing button inputs are automatic in some cases and need perfect timing in some.Eg : DMC has more timed engine than Prince of persia or god of war.I guess it depends on engine.

I think it is affinity to a game or series can help get through such difficulties. I liked DMC 3 for its concepts and wanted to play all difficulties but did not find Resident evil as interesting and am havin a hard time with mercenaries.

Devil Bane

God Slaying Blades
It's not just the engine.The thing is that you play a game to enjoy it.Having a harder mode on it is probably just a bonus or a test of skills in some cases.

Again not all games are fit for "difficulty selections" nor players should stick to strategies.The fun is lost that way.Unless of course the player doesn't like said boss etc and wants to get past it quickly.

All in all it's just for fun.Just because "gamers" want a challenge or they believe that no game is hard enough for them doesn't mean that others can't view it as a pleasant surprise.

I started Master Ninja on NG 1.Far too dificult and frustrated so I stoped it.I just unlocked the costumes via codes and played normal mode again and had trememndous fun.

Difficulties are meant for a fun challenge.Like the game itself,they are not an obligation.

The crazy demon

Metal Gear Vindicare.
I liked DMC3 hard more that normal, cause it was funny having to prove my skill in normal, the last boss in hard was nice too :D.

If you want to improve your skill, to achieve a funny moment in the game then do it, if you find it frustrating go for the cheats

Top Bottom