• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Gamespot doing a Now playing segment on DmC on april 10th?

Tiran

The great pretender.
Well to be subtle it's hypocrisy on Ninja Theory's part considering they (by "they" I mean Tameem) criticized Bayonetta's over the topness ( he said that wasn't what he was looking for), said that they story was going to be "adult" (judging from his statement about how Dante was angry and blah blah I thought it was going to be serious) and they went all patriotic about how "different" the West does with our stories....

I guess they changed their minds down the road because they are kinda on the same route they criticized some parts of Japanese pop-culture before hand.

O.k. You ready for this?

You're wrong.

You must be American, because you can't see subtlety in the differences between the coolness and humor in any scene in Bayonetta and this game. Also, the difference between the subtly ironic and the obvious. (I'm American, by the way)

In Japanese entertainment, the chaos and cool is usually created and maintained by the focus character(s). They create the cool scenario to act cool in. They are usually responsible for initiating the coolness and maintaining the over-the-top feel of the moment with what they say and do. Everything has to be and stay cool with them. Dante wrecked his own shop in DMC 3 yet blamed it on the demons. Bayonetta killed angels in unnecessary fashion and spoke and moved in unrelatable character at all times, even when it wasn't necessary. Classic Dante spoke in 'cool' even if his responses had nothing to do with anything another character was saying or the tone of the moment. His dialogue came off as so random he sounded like his own internal monologue.

Cerberus: You are not welcome here! You are unworthy!
Dante: Wow! I've never seen a talking dog before! In a dog show, you'd definitely take first prize.
Cerberus: You will pay!
Dante: Let's go for a walk.
Cerberus: I'll kill you!
Dante: It's showtime.

All of that was so random.

In this DmC the actions Dante takes are not random, or things he does just to be cool. He does things in response to his surroundings and actions taken for or against him- He just happens to look cool doing them. Dante didn't want to get dressed that way, he had no choice if he didn't want to fly out the window naked.
Because he does not have to carry a scenes tone, he can shift to adjust to whatever mode he, as a multidimensional character needs to to express his character properly with out seeming out of character or having a jarring shift of character at a pivotal moment in the story just cause the story needs him to. That's what real characterization is.
Some people say they don't see the angry Dante in this. The truth is, that's the genius of great writing. If you notice, Dante went through several different phases and emotions in the two minutes of this trailer all seamlessly and without out-and-out snarling, scowling or yelling "WHOO-HOO!" repeatedly. He's already showed more range, subtlety and depth in a single trailer than all the other Dante's combined and he's had a bigger opening action scene.

...But, then again, who'd notice in a world where Micheal Bay films break records.

ZeroLove

O.k. You ready for this?

You're wrong.

You must be American, because you can't see subtlety in the differences between the coolness and humor in any scene in Bayonetta and this game. Also, the difference between the subtly ironic and the obvious. (I'm American, by the way)

In Japanese entertainment, the chaos and cool is usually created and maintained by the focus character(s). They create the cool scenario to act cool in. They are usually responsible for initiating the coolness and maintaining the over-the-top feel of the moment with what they say and do. Everything has to be and stay cool with them. Dante wrecked his own shop in DMC 3 yet blamed it on the demons. Bayonetta killed angels in unnecessary fashion and spoke and moved in unrelatable character at all times, even when it wasn't necessary. Classic Dante spoke in 'cool' even if his responses had nothing to do with anything another character was saying or the tone of the moment. His dialogue came off as so random he sounded like his own internal monologue.

Dante: Wow! I've never seen a talking dog before! In a dog show, you'd definitely take first prize.

In this DmC the actions Dante takes are not random, or things he does just to be cool. He does things in response to his surroundings and actions taken for or against him- He just happens to look cool doing them. Dante didn't want to get dressed that way, he had no choice if he didn't want to fly out the window naked.
Because he does not have to carry a scenes tone, he can shift to adjust to whatever mode he, as a multidimensional character needs to to express his character properly with out seeming out of character or having a jarring shift of character at a pivotal moment in the story just cause the story needs him to. That's what real characterization is.
Some people say they don't see the angry Dante in this. The truth is, that's the genius of great writing. If you notice, Dante went through several different phases and emotions in the two minutes of this trailer all seamlessly and without out-and-out snarling, scowling or yelling "WHOO-HOO!" repeatedly. He's already showed more range, subtlety and depth in a single trailer than all the other Dante's combined and he's had a bigger opening action scene.

...But, then again, who'd notice in a world where Micheal Bay films break records.

So many truths are written here.

Sieghart

"Plough the lilies"
O.k. You ready for this?

You're wrong.

As an otaku that watched and played 80% of japanese films,animes and games i humbly agree with this.

Gbraga

I completely agree, there's no douchebag moments when he's watching the TV (he looks kinda depressed actually), or when the girls says she's not safe there, he dosen't crack a random joke, he just says "then go" e takes care of the demons.

If you think about it, it's more like he forces the cool stuff when he's not alone to hide his melancholy.

Aaaand, just 10 more minutes :)

Sieghart

"Plough the lilies"
I just finished the whole clip and i'm not that satisfied.Only 6 minutes?
The graphics looks more better.I'm still waiting for more details tomorrow.

ReRave

smug jerk
let's play was disappointing. Quality was crappy and nothing new except for the HUD, which looked decent (decent: it looked kinda cool, without distracting you too much).
Overall, I am still drooling (and dehydrating very fast) over the new and first story trailer!
Our prayers have been heard and now release the damn thing already!

lorddemolatron

I think im sort of dimensional traveller lol
Premium
I seen this gameplay, well Im only dissapointed that is only 6 minutes but for gameplay and graphics I have no objections. Well I silenced music too, as my parents not like hearing so loud music.

Terrence

O.k. You ready for this?

You're wrong.

1. What does me being an American have to do anything with my opinion? If you're going to give a rebuttal you may want to refrain from "You must be -insert nationality-" to start with it because it can come off as quite rude. Especially when you said "Also, the difference between the subtly ironic and the obvious. (I'm American, by the way)" like that made seemed you hold some type of rank or something. FYI I don't care for Michael Bay nor do I like his movies. He wrecked Transformers and he is wrecking TMNT but this isn't the forum for that so I will save that story for another day.

2. The nude slow mo in the trailer was an attempt at fan service (mostly for fan girls) and if you doubt it check NT/CU forums and you will see some posters who switched from disliking it to liking it based on Dante's appearance. Also not all Western pop-culture is well thought out (Kick Ass (comic), Crank 2, Dude Where is my car?, How High to name a few) and not all Japanese pop-culture is all nothing but random action (Guilty Crown, Deadman Wonderland, Death Note, Gundam Wing,). I can easily say Bayonetta killed Angels for the fact that they aid Lumen Sages who are enemies of the Umbra witches (who make packs with demons) which could explain her sadistic tendencies towards them. Dante killed Demons in 3 while simultaneously wrecking his shop could be explained by the fact that a) Brash and immature (not uncommon) b) Probably have some experience hunting them which explains his show boating (which is why Dante didn't take Cereberus seriously).

3. I know Dante didn't just pick out what to wear by choice. I was simply commenting the reason being why he looked dirty because of the flipping of his trailer. Note I was a little smug no doubt by that remark but I wasn't implying he willing decided on that.

4. How can you pick up brilliant writing from a small trailer the only show minimal parts of cutscenes of a game still in development?

Gbraga

The graphics are even better (the game was already beautiful) but the combat doesn't seem as smooth as in The Fight or The Secret trailers, maybe because the guy playing had no clue of what he was doing...

Top Bottom