• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Game Theory - why the popularity? Video debates possible too.

Lord Nero

Ultraviolet Sentinel
Sorry guys, maybe I could've posted this in the 'ranting thinking thread', but that thread seems a bit neglected to me, and I'm not sure if this qualifies as ranting. More like valid criticism.
I'm going to try to keep this short, as I've said all I wanted to say on YouTube. If you want to debate this - with anyone, not just me - go right ahead.

Game Theory is a string of YouTube videos about the ideas and theories behind gaming, and it is pretty damn popular. The number of upvotes even substantially exceeds the number of downvotes. Nonetheless, some of its videos are either completely obvious and cannot be called theories, or they're plain stupid because they contain theories that aren't supported by any evidence. For a 'video game researcher' (whatever that is) and YouTube educator, Matthew Patrick (MatPat) sure churns out some first class baloney. Can't believe the popularity he's gained.

These videos in particular contain nothing more than speculation with no logical arguments behind it. He argues FF is anti-religion without looking at the themes. He argues video games are anti-LGBT because... some evil characters happen to be gay/bi. I realize MatPat wants to make controversial videos, but sh*t. In the vid about FF, he even fails to realize what his friend was saying about the issue in that same video!

My username is Chameleonard... I know the name sucks. Don't know what I was thinking. But anyway, I explained my views there... so if you want to hear my side, read my comments please. We can also debate all kinds of Game Theory vids.
Thanks!

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
I once read similar bull about Doctor Who how he forces girls into sexual enslavement and is anti-christ in disguise xD Oh and only game that I know that pummels religion into a pulp is Xenogears

Lord Nero

Ultraviolet Sentinel
I once read similar bull about Doctor Who how he forces girls into sexual enslavement and is anti-christ in disguise xD Oh and only game that I know that pummels religion into a pulp is Xenogears
I don't know much about Dr Who, only saw one episode once and got bored really quickly, but... wow... dafuq XD

Director Bison

King of Games
Premium Elite
Premium
game theory is more about putting up a question to get people interested in the video
and then using the topic to educate people on things they might not look up themselves

its just for fun
he said's its just a theory so he's not saying that he's 100% right

yes some episodes are controversial
but he also made an episode about how Wario's farts could work in real life
i wouldn't take game theory too seriously

Lord Nero

Ultraviolet Sentinel
game theory is more about putting up a question to get people interested in the video
and then using the topic to educate people on things they might not look up themselves

its just for fun
he said's its just a theory so he's not saying that he's 100% right

yes some episodes are controversial
but he also made an episode about how Wario's farts could work in real life
i wouldn't take game theory too seriously
True, but in saying ''it's a theory'', he does make it known that he thinks that is what's going on. He theorizes that games are anti-LGBT and anti-religion, but he proceeds to give NO evidence of that. He's got some balls to call that a 'theory'. He even makes some assumptions that seriously come out of nowhere.

Two examples of his nonsense:

- At some point in the LGBT vid he even says that 'because this character is gay as well as a pedophile (mental illness), that means this game implies gay people are insane' (I'm paraphrasing).
- He just throws a number of evil characters together who also happen to be gay/bi, and then says 'look! these characters are gay/bi AND evil! Therefore gays/bis are evil according to the gaming industry.' It makes no sense.

What's more, he is not educating anyone in that LGBT video. At least in the 'FF is anti-religion' vid he gets Gaijin Goomba to explain Japanese culture a bit. But even then, if you've played any FF game, you'd already know all of it... so really he isn't educating anyone. In the LGBT vid he educates nobody.
From the vids I've seen so far, he deserves very little praise, and certainly shouldn't be well-known.

Last edited:

Sieghart

"Plough the lilies"
@Pyroblade

I share the popular opinion that MatPat and game theories' videos are informative and entertaining to watch. However, i do agree the sentiments that some of his videos are nonsense, such as how Mario is insane, where the killer scream in Mortal Kombat can happen anytime and those two particular videos in general. His LBGT and Anti-religion videos and his explanations are pseudo-psychological at many aspect.

Director Bison said it best though. It's the same reason how some people are taking CinemaSins way too seriously and some are getting butthurt to his videos way too seriously. Sure, there are some science and pseudo science here and there but both of them are really all about the laughs and entertainment.

Lord Nero

Ultraviolet Sentinel
@Pyroblade

I share the popular opinion that MatPat and game theories' videos are informative and entertaining to watch. However, i do agree the sentiments that some of his videos are nonsense, such as how Mario is insane, where the killer scream in Mortal Kombat can happen anytime and those two particular videos in general. His LBGT and Anti-religion videos and his explanations are pseudo-psychological at many aspect.

Director Bison said it best though. It's the same reason how some people are taking CinemaSins way too seriously and some are getting butthurt to his videos way too seriously. Sure, there are some science and pseudo science here and there but both of them are really all about the laughs and entertainment.
Yeah, I have seen some other vids by him, and it's mostly just about explaining some things (even if most people already knew all those things), and it's got entertainment value, so there's that. Still, it would be nice if he realized his anti-LGBT and FF is anti-religion vids are not accurate at all. Gamers are sadly listening to what he's saying and deciding he is right, without thinking more about it. He should realize that since he became popular he is like an example to others... so he shouldn't get so many things wrong. Strange thing is he didn't even realize what Gaijin Goomba was saying, so... he seems to be pretty self-important. The way he says ''that's just a theory. A game theory'' makes me want to vomit.

But I guess I understand it a bit better now. Thanks!

Last edited:

Lord Nero

Ultraviolet Sentinel
Matthew Patrick seems like another person looking for attention by using the negatives as a platform for personal gain.

And like THAT so-called feminist on youtube when they have no or can't deliver actual proof then they shouldn't be given any attention what so ever.

Let them sink their own ship of nonsense
''No what.
From this description it seems like is doing that.''

I certainly think so. In my second comment, I more clearly defined what I meant.

Anyway, that's the thing: there are way too many ignorant adolescent people who will actually believe what he's saying without doing further research on it or even thinking about it more. It's sad to see that those two stupid videos of his get like 99% likes. It shows me that most gamers don't take the time to think about what he brought up. Hell, they didn't even listen to Gaijin Goomba who disproved his theory in that very same video. It's just so sad that we live in an age of ignorance, with people blindly following one person even when they know nothing about the subject he's talking about. But whatever, I said what I wanted to say on YouTube... that's all I can do.

Most of what he puts out is decent enough, though I find Gaijin Goomba more interesting.

Last edited:

Lord Nero

Ultraviolet Sentinel
I've said it before but it's gotten so ridiculous how gaming become like politics.

Everyone going around spouting their beliefs & views on gaming, gaming journalism is untrustworthy, Youtube glory hounds trying to discredited, the gaming industry believes gamers are gullible people who don't have the gaming skill needed to finish a game with QTEs & health regeneration.
etc etc etc & then some.

Over freaking video games.
It's all have gotten so smurfin ridiculous & petty.

I just simply wanna play, i don't who's beliefs are what or who discredits who.
If their claims have no merit & obviously lack research then there's no need to give them any attention by trying to refute their nonsense.

Starve them of attention & go about your day like they never happened & they'll eventually fade away.
Yeah... games getting scores of 95/100 probably because they were featured as advertisements on their web site... all that kind of stuff. I've seen IGN and other professional reviewers give out 9/10s as much as lottery tickets, really. And then better games come along, but they rate them 7/10 just because they contain some flaws... even though they've got better atmosphere, soundtrack, and usually even gameplay, in the most important areas.
But I guess there's nothing we can do about it. Like you said, better not give them the satisfaction of attention. Maybe I'll close this thread... don't want others to find this 'MatPat' because of me.

Winterfrost

Shadow-of-Sundered-Star
If I was a girl, I wouldn't mind that one bit.

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
Well if People on youtube like THIS :-
And this :-
These 2 guys are like Top Youtubers! its not really much of surprise if some douchebag with retarded theories also gets insane amount of views.

Top Bottom