• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Fresh details of Metal Gear Solid: Rising

Chaos Raiden

Avid Gamer & Reviewer
  • MGS: Rising uses MGS4 engine, with some improvements.
  • Raiden has suicidal, depressive tendencies in the story probably due to that he is a cyborg.
  • The game has a very adult story. (could mean very dark, bloody)
  • In terms of gameplay, it can be compared with Ninja Gaiden games and Dynasty Warriors games.
  • It is unknown whether the PS3 version will implement Move support.
  • You can use quick attacks, or slow attacks during Slow Motion.
  • In order to use Slow Motion attacks, you need to sacrifice LIFE gauge.
  • Raiden's movement is not great, and can be compared with Fallout: New Vegas. Changes could be implemented as the game is still in development.
  • There is a cover system which allows you to cut enemies that are passing by when you are behind a wall.
  • The game is mainly action, with only 1/4 stealth implemented.
  • There will be a shadow mode where Raiden can become nearly invisible and allows him to travel places quickly. However, it drains LIFE.
  • The game still has the MGS feeling, but less than previous MGS games.
  • Explosions and smoke effects are spectacular, but does not surpass MGS4 yet.
  • The camera system is "behind the shoulder" and not top down perspective like previous MGS games. (possible means the camera system is the same as Resident Evil 5 and Dead Space 1 & 2 camera systems)
  • The sound effects of gunshots are great.
  • The game is very bloody, where blood will remain on Raiden's body after killing human enemies and will not easily disappear.
Source: http://translate.google.com/translate?js=n&prev=_t&hl=nl&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&sl=nl&tl=en&u=http://ps3life.nl/nieuws/8289-verse-info-van-metal-gear-solid-rising/

The Google Translate provides difficult and inaccurate translation, so I corrected some of it from the link above so that it makes more sense. However, there are some parts that I did not correct because I don't really understand what it means.

Esura

Your breasts are illegal!!
SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKKEE!!

Get hyped, Metal Gear Rising is going to rock the world!

Darth Angelo

Tuck-yet-chi-say-denie trieve trick-dis-nie

In terms of gameplay, it can be compared with Ninja Gaiden games and Dynasty Warriors games
Raiden's movement is not great, and can be compared with Fallout: New Vegas
The game is mainly action, with only 1/4 stealth implemented.
The game still has the MGS feeling,

So they have more or less taken out the stealth, changed the controls, changed the concept and substituted the main character...It doesn't sound like there is much to salvage in terms of "feeling" like MGS.

Although I am pleased to finally hear something, if this is legit it has pretty much confirmed my worst fears about it. I most definitely won't be buying this at this rate, (I would say "I never thought I would say that about MGS" but imo this isn't an MGS game)

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
Actually, the reasons why I never bought any other MGS game is exactly because of the whole stealth thing... I run in and kill crap, not sneak around. :/

Darth Angelo

Actually, the reasons why I never bought any other MGS game is exactly because of the whole stealth thing... I run in and kill crap, not sneak around. :/

There are more than enough games that allow you to do that especially these days.
The whole idea behind Metal Gear came from it not being one of your usual "kill everything that moves because you can" games. That it punished you for being a cowboy and thats what set it apart from everything else, MGS is to stealth games what DMC is to H&S and now they are just going to trade it all in for the sake of being flashy and tren:eek:-dy hang on...im being a bit of a hypocrite here. Oh well this is about more than fashion and the series has been around a lot longer and tbh has a lot more to lose by going off the rails into something completely different.

I wouldn't be so irritated by it if it wasn't clearly trying to just cater for MGS4 fans want to go on ninja Raiden killing sprees not giving a crap how or why It's all so "hey look at this! look how cool this is huh? look at all this stuff im chopping up, cooooooll" so far that's all we have been given and people are loving it and I don't get it :confused:. As a totally seperate spinoff im sure this game will be great but don't put an MGS label on it because it's not. Like that person said it's closer to a Ninja Gaiden game.

Darth Angelo

Well, what if the story is still of the same magnitude as an MGS game?
Raiden did do important story related things during the gap but almost all of it was done when he was still human and considering the gameplay is so heavily based to his cyborg character and electrical regeneration something tells me that the only important part of his story is going to be either rushed in some kind of half assed tutorial or overlooked entirely for the sake of his own totally unrelated story. Purely down to the fact that they don't think anyone cares about playing as human ninja Raiden
From Metal Gear wiki
Raiden and Rosemary began living together, but the tragic memories of his days as a child soldier started to resurface, causing tension in their relationship. He began drinking heavily, and getting into fights and eventually decided to leave her.
Raiden learned from Big Mama, in exchange for the location of Big Boss that he obtained from GW, that Olga's daughter, Sunny, was being held in Area 51, and successfully rescued her with the help of Big Mama and the Paradise Lost. After hearing of Rosemary's miscarriage and subsequent remarriage to Roy Campbell, Raiden became despondent. He left Sunny in the care of Otacon and Snake. Afterwards, he left to wander the Earth. Raiden studied scouting techniques under a Native American shaman living in Alaska, and learned to hunt. He then began work on retrieving Big Boss's remains from the Patriots for the Paradise Lost Army, leading to his capture. As a prisoner, the Patriots used Raiden as a test subject for experiments in exoskeletal enhancement surgery, during which he had his head and spine excised from his body from his lower jaw down and subsequently grafted into an enhanced synthetic body.
With the help of the Paradise Lost Army, Raiden managed to escape his captivity. After undergoing surgery to clear his body of nanomachines and being saved by Dr. Drago Pettrovich Madnar, he was successful in reclaiming Big Boss's remains from the Patriots. The enhancements implanted throughout Raiden's body, however, were too severe to allow him to live a normal life again. He elected to disappear from the life of his fiancee, Rosemary.

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
Next time, I won't share MGS: Rising news.

No, you shouldn't think this is all because of you or something. :/ Him and I aren't arguing, we're just getting facts straight with one another. He's just explaining to me, especially because I haven't played any other MGS game.

Darth Angelo

Next time, I won't share MGS: Rising news.
Sorry Chaos like I said last time I know you are looking forward to it and all I do is moan and complain about it and I really do appreciate you digging up all info about Rising (and everything else for that matter).

I just find it really hard to contain how much it saddens me for something I have loved and felt so devoted to for so long is turning into something I have lost all respect for so suddenly it's like ive walked in on MGS cheating on me. It's kind of a combination of feeling frustrated because I have no idea where the story will be going or why it is even important, the niggling doubt that this is starting to stray away from stealth shooter and turning into Ninja Gaiden for the pure sake of coolness and wondering why they feel the need to do this when if they wanted to carry the series on there are several places which not only are more appropriate but also have more potential for innovation and not just trying to impress people with flashy ninja moves+evil depressed face.

Oh and Raiden is a Gray Fox clone whch was fine as a reference in 4 for those who were able to pick up on it but now it is just plain making Fox look rubbush and thats not fair.
Like when Jango Fett came rolling in with his gadgets and his flamethrower and I imagine retro Boba Fett fans were like "oh...ok then...thanks for totally copying and ruining my favorite character by upstaging him to epic proportions and making him look like crap in comparison"

Chaos Raiden

Avid Gamer & Reviewer
No, you shouldn't think this is all because of you or something. :/ Him and I aren't arguing, we're just getting facts straight with one another. He's just explaining to me, especially because I haven't played any other MGS game.

No, it's because of Darth Angelo I am not sharing any new MGS: Rising news as he always do the same thing in EVERY MGS: Rising threads I made.

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
No, it's because of Darth Angelo I am not sharing any new MGS: Rising news as he always do the same thing in EVERY MGS: Rising threads I made.

Then can you at least tell me personally about any new news? Because I would very much like to stay updated on all this.

Darth Angelo

Well i've apologized for being blunt with my feelings about it and explained where those feeling come from and how it is aimed at the development of the game itself and not you. So I have nothing to feel guilty about but now I realise I was bothering you so much with it ill just stay out of all of the threads you make from now on. I can't be doing with treadng of egg shells with people especially when it comes to Rising.

Esura

Your breasts are illegal!!
Metal Gear Rising isn't replacing the main series so I don't know whats up with the angst in the thread. Its a spin off, and its not the first franchise to have a spin off (although MGR has canonical story ties to MGS) that diverges from the main elements of the main games. Also, remember this isn't even being directed by Kojima.

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
Metal Gear Rising isn't replacing the main series so I don't know whats up with the angst in the thread. Its a spin off, and its not the first franchise to have a spin off (although MGR has canonical story ties to MGS) that diverges from the main elements of the main games. Also, remember this isn't even being directed by Kojima.

I was about to make a post similar to this, but I suppose it wasn't necessary. >_< I'd just be reiterating points.

Darth Angelo

He is producing it though, and it is actually called Metal gear Solid: Rising so whether it is or it isn't trying to be part of the main series it is certainly being pitched like it is.
If it was just called "The Rising" like Death By Degrees it wouldn't be so much of an issue they would be proudly introducing it as a spinoff and starting anew but it is being advertised like just another MGS game with cool new changes and that just because it has MGS in the title everybody who has ever enjoyed an MGS game should automaticly be mega hyped about it no questions asked. Which most of them are even though we still know next to nothing about it.

Top Bottom