• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Firearms & DMC time period

TonyRedgraveDMC

So I have very little knowledge about guns, but going with DMC3 > DMC > DMC4 > DMC2, and the inclusion of certain guns (Spiral & Kalina Ann in 3, Grenadegun in DMC, Submachine Guns and Missile Launcher in DMC2) what sort of time periods can it be assumed each game falls into based on this. Due to very little gun knowledge and this, I am inconvenienced when trying to decide on what types of firearms to include in a DMC-verse fanfiction set during and after the events of each game.

rocketvergil

Vergil's apprentice, the successor to yamato
DMC is set in modern times. The period we live in now. Dante has a jukebox, lady has a motorbike. Strip clubs exist. Bars exist. You don't need to look at the guns to know when it's based upon

TonyRedgraveDMC

"Modern times" is kind of a stretch in general, let alone for what models of guns might have been manufactured at the time.

rocketvergil

"Modern times" is kind of a stretch in general, let alone for what models of guns might have been manufactured at the time.
If you want to be safe, include guns from the game. Bazookas, rifles, demon energy blasters. You could add a some sort of automatic weapon such as machine guns or SMGs. A tazer might be a creative weapon.

TonyRedgraveDMC

Submachine Guns and tazers would have been present as early as DMC3? I'm not even quite sure what Kalina Ann or Spiral are classified as.

rocketvergil

Submachine Guns and tazers would have been present as early as DMC3? I'm not even quite sure what Kalina Ann or Spiral are classified as.
It's a video game. Don't go overboard on realism. Fan fic stands for fantasy fiction. So, just write your heart out. Don't bother with small things like this

berto

I Saw the Devil
DMC is set in a sort of modern but different time. Look at the bike Trish rode in on at the start of DMC1, it's very much a modern model. The idea is that, although it's the present, there are significant differences between that world and this one. The reason for that is to add a sense of style to the place.

I'm not even quite sure what Kalina Ann or Spiral are classified as.
Kalina Ann is a custom made RPG and Spiral is a high power rifle.

High power rifles are usually mounted because of the tremendous force of recoil, which is why Dante only shoots standing and not walking, the force shoves him backwards.

ef9dante_oSsshea

Premium
Xen-Omni 2020
that bike in DMC1 was like a mid nineties cbr honda

plus in DMC4 nero has wireless earphones like the dre ones so i would say the timeline is close to the real world

Blue_Rose

One way to get yourself shot
wireless earphones like the dre ones
Beats

But yeah, even the DMC1 manual said Dante is a paranormal mercenary in modern America.
But the fact that Sparda had the Luce and Ombra is utter bullshit imo, because he's a 2000 year old demon.

berto

I Saw the Devil
But the fact that Sparda had the Luce and Ombra is utter bullshit imo, because he's a 2000 year old demon.
No one said he's had them for 2,ooo years. Those are M1911's, they've been around since 1911, he could've owned them for a long time, long enough to be considered a personal item.

WolfOD64

That Guy Who Hates Fox McCloud
I never understood that whatsoever. I'd understand him using a demon laser, like Nightmare B/Y or Artemis---it'd legitimize the idea of demonic weaponry being advanced and ahead of the human race's technical progression---but handguns? A human invention in 2000 B.C.? That's just idiotic on a whole host of levels.

ef9dante_oSsshea

Premium
Xen-Omni 2020
where was it stated he had used em when he fought against the hordes of hell? he was around up until at least the conception of dante and vergil or til they were very young.

So he could have started using the guns in the 20th century

Blue_Rose

One way to get yourself shot
I never understood that whatsoever. I'd understand him using a demon laser, like Nightmare B/Y or Artemis---it'd legitimize the idea of demonic weaponry being advanced and ahead of the human race's technical progression---but handguns? A human invention in 2000 B.C.? That's just idiotic on a whole host of levels.
Exactly. Demon lasers would be so much more efficient and more powerful. And human inventions wouldn't really suit him and hanguns wouldn't fit his medievil style. Also, he can spam meteors.

I think it was a misconception as the Sparda skin in DMC1 supposedly had Trish's weapons (she used Luce and Ombra in anime). I believe this led official sources to say that the guns belonged to Sparda when they were intended for Trish.

Although I have read official text claiming that Sparda had Luce and Ombra.

ToCool74

"Fair" DmC Skeptic
Premium
No one said he's had them for 2,ooo years. Those are M1911's, they've been around since 1911, he could've owned them for a long time, long enough to be considered a personal item.

Agreeing with this, it was never said that he had those guns 2000 years ago, you guys are just assuming he did, the only weapon he was CONFIRMED to have then was Yamato and Force Edge, as Berto said he could have easily had those made around the early 1900s which was when those models of guns where first invented.

WolfOD64

Agreeing with this, it was never said that he had those guns 2000 years ago, you guys are just assuming he did, the only weapon he was CONFIRMED to have then was Yamato and Force Edge, as Berto said he could have easily had those made around the early 1900s which was when those models of guns where first invented.
That actually makes sense, especially when you take his style of clothing into consideration.

...but I can't help but wonder if the developers were thinking along those lines at all.

TonyRedgraveDMC

Or Umbran Witch Eva could have had them crafted and they ended up in his possession for some time. <.< >.> Anyway, yeah, that's mostly what I was going for, I wouldn't even have known the intended model of Trish's motorbike. I'm not meaning to get a timeline for the series, just verification on what the most recent model equipment is present during each game so that an educated guess could be made as to the ~time period~ so that I could choose from other same-era weaponry (or a little older) since "Demonic Laser Guns" isn't ALWAYS an option, especially since sometimes you have to focus on non-demonic characters now and again.

TonyRedgraveDMC

So, DMC3 is set at least in 1900s? What about Kalina Ann or Spiral's models? Would they push DMC3 further into the century? If it's to be believed that the Legendary Dark Knight wielded Luce & Ombra, then I would assume that puts DMC3 into 1960-80's?

berto

I Saw the Devil
So, DMC3 is set at least in 1900s? What about Kalina Ann or Spiral's models? Would they push DMC3 further into the century? If it's to be believed that the Legendary Dark Knight wielded Luce & Ombra, then I would assume that puts DMC3 into 1960-80's?
The games are set in modern times. Not sure why it's so hard for anyone to believe that or why people are so adamant about it not been so.

TonyRedgraveDMC

You're missing the point. I wasn't asking "Is Devil May Cry franchise in modern times?", I asked what time period each of the games fall under as time progresses, based on technology such as firearms, vehicles, etc.

WolfOD64

You're missing the point. I wasn't asking "Is Devil May Cry franchise in modern times?", I asked what time period each of the games fall under as time progresses, based on technology such as firearms, vehicles, etc.
People have approached Kobayashi about the technology and time period DMC takes place in, and he agrees with Kamiya and Itsuno's idea of the series taking place in the modern world, but has a few technological setbacks due to it taking place in this alternate, post-war-of-2000-years-ago setting.

In other words, it's in modern day, and phones and cars exist, but the phones are like old-fashioned dial-up phones, and all the cars and televisions have a 80's-90's look to them. Diners, bars, and strip-clubs have a very 80's and 90's look, but the people in them dress in modern clothes...some of them even having modern cell-phones. Keep in mind that Dante has a bunch of old-fashioned things, like a 50's-style jukebox, but that's probably because he has an appreciation for old-fashioned novelties---hence the old-fashioned bar and pool table.

A good indicator of the series taking place in modern day is Nero's headphones. He has such modern headphones---and is listening to heavy metal, I might add---but the shops and cars in Fortuna have a very old-fashioned look about them.

Top Bottom