• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Firearms & DMC time period

TonyRedgraveDMC

Oh, so the series is in modern era (no years indicated) but with an abundance of older age equipment? Sounds legit. Though 4 feels like there was a fairly hefty gap between 1 and 4.

Viper

Premium
Oh, so the series is in modern era (no years indicated) but with an abundance of older age equipment? Sounds legit. Though 4 feels like there was a fairly hefty gap between 1 and 4.
Morrison mentioned in one episode of anime, while looking at Dante's jukebox, that people in that world are very into retro stuff. So in other words, they went a little further than our world, that is more or less into retro as well, though we are mostly talking about modern functionality with retro look. Of course, firearms are a special case, since you'd want improved functionality in battle, while keeping retro guns at home just for show.

There was going to be a slightly larger gap between 1 and 4, then they went with just 1 year. Still, I don't see that much difference, the only thing really more modern compared to what we seen before are Nero's headphones and that can be easily explained, since living in shabby neighborhood like Dante's means not having access to certain things due to being poor, while Nero was part of a rather high class family (Credo is a general, that's really high and by logic brings certain privileges).

TonyRedgraveDMC

Well, there were crazy turret cannon things too. Since I do have ulterior motive with the info, if one were to write a Devil May Cry fiction, what appears to be the oldest and newest variety of firearms available to characters throughout the fiction, assuming it were written during during the time period from Devil May Cry 3 all the way to Devil May Cry 2?

Lord Nero

Ultraviolet Sentinel
DMC's world is like the modern world, only sometimes more old-fashioned and possibly less advanced because of religion.

I'm pretty sure DMC3 essentially takes place in the '90s, so DMC1 (when Dante is ten years older than in DMC3) would take place in the 2000s. So really, it seems to correspond to the years in which the games were released... except for DMC3 being set in the '90s rather than 2005, because it's a prequel. Considering Nero carries a Smith & Wesson model 500 (love that gun's look btw), DMC4 would take place after 2003... probably simply in the game's release year of 2008.
God, I'd love it if Dante used two revolvers, or just one with a long barrel.

Well, there were crazy turret cannon things too. Since I do have ulterior motive with the info, if one were to write a Devil May Cry fiction, what appears to be the oldest and newest variety of firearms available to characters throughout the fiction, assuming it were written during during the time period from Devil May Cry 3 all the way to Devil May Cry 2?
The Spiral was based on the Lahti L-39, which is from WW2.
The M1911 (Ebony and Ivory) from 1911 to 1985, so that would be the oldest gun, technically. Still, I think the Spiral hasn't seen much use in modern times, if any.

The S&W model 500 would be the newest gun (from 2003).

Last edited by a moderator:

TonyRedgraveDMC

Okay
DMC's world is like the modern world, only sometimes more old-fashioned and possibly less advanced because of religion.

I'm pretty sure DMC3 essentially takes place in the '90s, so DMC1 (when Dante is ten years older than in DMC3) would take place in the 2000s. So really, it seems to correspond to the years in which the games were released... except for DMC3 being set in the '90s rather than 2005, because it's a prequel. Considering Nero carries a Smith & Wesson model 500 (love that gun's look btw), DMC4 would take place after 2003... probably simply in the game's release year of 2008.
God, I'd love it if Dante used two revolvers, or just one with a long barrel.
Okay, there you go, that's a lot more like I was going for, rather than "modern times duh".

The Spiral was based on the Lahti L-39, which is from WW2.
The M1911 (Ebony and Ivory) from 1911 to 1985, so that would be the oldest gun, technically. Still, I think the Spiral hasn't seen much use in modern times, if any.

The S&W model 500 would be the newest gun (from 2003).
Oh okay, awesome, so the guns really do fit in. What about DMC2? I assume that since it's anachronic, no newer Gen firearms are featured in DMC2 than DMC4?

Last edited by a moderator:

Lord Nero

Ultraviolet Sentinel
Oh okay, awesome, so the guns really do fit in. What about DMC2? I assume that since it's anachronic, no newer Gen firearms are featured in DMC2 than DMC4?
I know Dante can get SMGs in DMC2, but those aren't older or newer than the M1911 or that anti-materiel rifle. DMC2 really doesn't seem to fit in, but I suppose that's because it takes place somewhere where time seems to have stood still.

Yeah, so I guess it's pretty much from WW2 to the late 2000s.

Top Bottom