• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Final Fantasy XIII is like VII?

Meg

*eye twitch at Lightning/Cloud comparison*

Well, it doesn't surprise me that much. They are part of the same series after all and I know a lot of the same people worked on both. Granted that doesn't mean they weren't kinda lazy, but :lol:

Ironically though I dislike the stories in both games. :lol:

Esura

Your breasts are illegal!!
Meg;295203 said:
*eye twitch at Lightning/Cloud comparison*
You DO know that Nomura intended for Lightning to essentially be a female Cloud right?

Well, it doesn't surprise me that much. They are part of the same series after all and I know a lot of the same people worked on both. Granted that doesn't mean they weren't kinda lazy, but :lol:
They actually cut a lot of extra stuff from the game they stated in an interview. All the extra stuff they said was enough to make another game off of. Some fans speculate that they cut out all the extra stuff so they could port it to 360 as well.

Ironically though I dislike the stories in both games. :lol:
:lol:

aka958

Don't trust people
I... like the story in both.

The first look of Lightning was a female version of Cloud.

The Lightning/Cloud comparison is fully moot and just look at the start of both of them. An EX-soldier riding a train with a stereotype black guy with guns and father issues... XD

No, Sazh is completely different from Barret in personality. But they do have some problems alike and have firearms/literally a firearm as weapons.

Dark Drakan

Admin
Esura;295222 said:
Some fans speculate that they cut out all the extra stuff so they could port it to 360 as well.

:lol:

Some fanBOYS suggest but its entirely made up and no truth in it. Content does not need to be cut to port things onto another console, only time content is trimmed is from PC to console. Which is usally menus and optimised simplistic control systems and online server numbers because consoles cant handle them.

aka958

Don't trust people
Dark Drakan;295239 said:
Some fanBOYS suggest but its entirely made up and no truth in it. Content does not need to be cut to port things onto another console, only time content is trimmed is from PC to console. Which is usally menus and optimised simplistic control systems and online server numbers because consoles cant handle them.

I don't know. The 360 version was split into 3 discs while the PS3 version still had room for much more. It isn't about the porting, it is about the the amount of space the 360 version has. That could cause a big deal because who would want to switch between 4-5 discs?

I'm not saying it's true. I'm just saying that content may be needed to be cut out if the memory size of the port isn't as big as the main port.

Dark Drakan

Admin
aka958;295248 said:
I don't know. The 360 version was split into 3 discs while the PS3 version still had room for much more. It isn't about the porting, it is about the the amount of space the 360 version has. That could cause a big deal because who would want to switch between 4-5 discs?

I'm not saying it's true. I'm just saying that content may be needed to be cut out if the memory size of the port isn't as big as the main port.

4 discs is plenty of room and no-one has complained in the past about it with Final Fantasy and Lost Odyssey. No game on the planet needs more than 4 discs, if it did then it would be more cutscene than game as its the FMV and Audio files that fill it but they can be compressed on DVD's whereas they cant on Blu Ray so it balances out. I agree in the long run that DVD is a dead format and its showing its limitations but there is life in it for a couple of years yet in the current generation of consoles.

aka958

Don't trust people
Dark Drakan;295253 said:
4 discs is plenty of room and no-one has complained in the past about it with Final Fantasy and Lost Odyssey. No game on the planet needs more than 4 discs, if it did then it would be more cutscene than game as its the FMV and Audio files that fill it but they can be compressed on DVD's whereas they cant on Blu Ray so it balances out.

Compressed audio, like Final Fantasy XII?

I bet there've been people complaining about the amount of discs. I've seen a few. So no-one is at least some.

No game on the planet needs more than 4 discs right now*. For those ambitious they could make a 5 disc. ;)

It balances out? FFXIII then? 3 disc DVD and 1 disc blue-ray. The only explanation is that they didn't compress either the FMV or the Audio. How come? Because it lowered the quality of both?

So, if they effectively want to port a blue-ray to DVD they must compress and in doing that lower the quality of the content?

Also, please refer from discussing the differences of blue ray and DVD's in this thread. That is off topic.

Esura

Dark Drakan;295239 said:
While there is no proof to confirm this theory, its entirely plausible. They wouldn't be the first to have problems with the limits of using a DVD. Also, FFXIII was designed for PS2, then PS3 originally (although they designed the engine to work for both PS3 and 360 however).

Dark Drakan;295253 said:
4 discs is plenty of room and no-one has complained in the past about it with Final Fantasy and Lost Odyssey. No game on the planet needs more than 4 discs, if it did then it would be more cutscene than game as its the FMV and Audio files that fill it but they can be compressed on DVD's whereas they cant on Blu Ray so it balances out. I agree in the long run that DVD is a dead format and its showing its limitations but there is life in it for a couple of years yet in the current generation of consoles.

Well, the disc space of XBOX 360's DVDs has been a recurring problem for developers recently. Also, its not entirely unreasonable that they may have cut content so it could fit on as little discs as possible. Its what Id had to do for Rage. They actually cut much content from the game so it could fit on a DVD I believe.

Microsoft charges developers for multiple discs and I think they have a limit of three discs for developers as well. Only reason Lost Odysseus was allowed four discs is because its published by Microsoft themselves. Lost Odysseus is the only game this gen that I know of that has four discs unless I forgotten one, because Blue Dragon was three I think.

To circumvent this a little bit, some developers asked for mandatory installs like PS3, but you know Microsoft ain't down for that. They still making money off the Arcades.

But like you said, DVD still has life for it if you aren't going for large, experimental games :lol:

Meg

Esura;295222 said:
You DO know that Nomura intended for Lightning to essentially be a female Cloud right?

Yeah, the original inspiration. She had a design change early(ish) on and personality wise they aren't alike. Both ex soldiers riding a train doesn't mean much. I'm sure there are other stories involving soldiers and trains that doesn't make them the same. :lol:

Esura

Meg;295264 said:
Yeah, the original inspiration. She had a design change early(ish) on and personality wise they aren't alike. Both ex soldiers riding a train doesn't mean much. I'm sure there are other stories involving soldiers and trains that doesn't make them the same. :lol:

Well, although that may apply to other games, in Final Fantasy games, the only game that had stories involving trains with ex-soldiers was FFVII, and to a smaller degree, FFVIII. This was no coincidence.

aka958

Don't trust people
Esura;295258 said:
While there is no proof to confirm this theory, its entirely plausible. They wouldn't be the first to have problems with the limits of using a DVD. Also, FFXIII was designed for PS2, then PS3 originally (although they designed the engine to work for both PS3 and 360 however).

Well, the disc space of XBOX 360's DVDs has been a recurring problem for developers recently. Also, its not entirely unreasonable that they may have cut content so it could fit on as little discs as possible. Its what Id had to do for Rage. They actually cut much content from the game so it could fit on a DVD I believe.

Microsoft charges developers for multiple discs and I think they have a limit of three discs for developers as well. Only reason Lost Odysseus was allowed four discs is because its published by Microsoft themselves. Lost Odysseus is the only game this gen that I know of that has four discs unless I forgotten one, because Blue Dragon was three I think.

To circumvent this a little bit, some developers asked for mandatory installs like PS3, but you know Microsoft ain't down for that. They still making money off the Arcades.

But like you said, DVD still has life for it if you aren't going for large, experimental games :lol:

Hmm... Didn't read my post?

Meg;295264 said:

Both with a black guy as their partner. Both being cold ex-soldiers who goes right on to business. Them both having a change of personality later in game to a better person/to be more nice and understanding instead of cold towards others.

What's the main difference? Cloud had a scrambled brain. XD

Meg

aka958;295268 said:
Both with a black guy as their partner. Both being cold ex-soldiers who goes right on to business. Them both having a change of personality later in game to a better person/to be more nice and understanding instead of cold towards others.

What's the main difference? Cloud had a scrambled brain. XD

That's an over simplification of both of their characters. :p With that description Jan Templar from Killzone is their long lost cousin. :p :lol:

I wouldn't call Cloud cold so much as withdrawn. Lightning is an outright bitch. Yelling at people, hitting them. Lightning isn't one for romance while Cloud was caught in a love triangle. Cloud works with others while Lightning spent a good amount of time trying to get away from them. :lol: She's also the self proclaimed leader right off the bat while Cloud needed some encouragement. Lightning is also way more sure of herself and doesn't go all "wah wah wah" about things while Cloud, poor guy, is kind of a mess.

And while they both warm up to people as the game goes on Lightning isn't suddenly this wonderful person. She's still kind of a bitch. XD What with her "target's a target" philosophy and telling Snow he's an idiot as well as been rude whenever he tries to say something. XDDD

I hate Snow.

Dark Drakan

Admin
Esura;295258 said:

Oblivion, Fallout 3, New Vegas, GTA IV, Dragon Age Origins and RDR all fit on 1 disc and all have huge game worlds. Games that use fancy FMV sequences rather than in game engine are the cause of multiple discs not the size of the game.

aka958;295255 said:
So, if they effectively want to port a blue-ray to DVD they must compress and in doing that lower the quality of the content?

Ive tested it and there isnt any loss in quality as its merely the filesizes and rates that are altered. Blu Ray audio is better quality but thats not because of compression however the load times are much slower. Just means audio and FMV takes up more space than it needs to on Blu Ray discs. Though yeah ive discussed this many times in past and tested the pros and cons of both platforms...

So back to topic. ^_^

aka958

Don't trust people
Meg;295269 said:
That's an over simplification of both of their characters. :p With that description Jan Templar from Killzone is their long lost cousin. :p :lol:

I wouldn't call Cloud cold so much as withdrawn. Lightning is an outright bitch. Yelling at people, hitting them. Lightning isn't one for romance while Cloud was caught in a love triangle. Cloud works with others while Lightning spent a good amount of time trying to get away from them. :lol: She's also the self proclaimed leader right off the bat while Cloud needed some encouragement. Lightning is also way more sure of herself and doesn't go all "wah wah wah" about things while Cloud, poor guy, is kind of a mess.

And while they both warm up to people as the game goes on Lightning isn't suddenly this wonderful person. She's still kind of a bitch. XD What with her "target's a target" philosophy and telling Snow he's an idiot as well as been rude whenever he tries to say something. XDDD

I hate Snow.

If you get hurt you get hurt. You don't whine about it but there still is a wound there. That is what happened to Cloud, nothing he could do something about. All due to mako poisoning in the end of Crisis Core. He is sure of himself, he had his doubts but so did Lightning, or else her Ediolon would've never appeared in front of her.

Cloud is withdrawn? Nope, he is not. You must've confused yourself with something else. Cloud is himself, thinking he is something that he isn't, he was stone cold and could just demand cash from Barret knowing it was cash for the future for Marlene. If you didn't know, Marlene is Barret's little kid.

Lightning still hit Snow and called him an idiot? Tell me one single time she does that after chapter 7. She becomes a caring lady, and she shows that her teammates are important from that moment on.
Her target's a target philosophy changed, mentioned in chaper 7 during a conversation with Fang. Where she said something along these lines: "If none of this would've happened I would've been the one hunting l'Cie right now. Seeing them nothing as targets". Her target's a target in the past was "just do my job". It changed when she learned about everything about the Sanctum and acted on her own accord instead. Meaning she chooses her targets and not some boss of hers.

But yeah... Lightning isn't a bitch at the end of the game and Cloud isn't a cold blooded EX-soldier at the end of the game.

I've never seen that they are alike, but that Cloud indeed was a huge inspirational source when making Lightning. It's kind of funny how both their partners is a stereotype black guy who both carry firearms, them being in a train, them both having an EX-soldier background, and of course their right to business attitude.

I've played FFVII from beginning to end three times.
I've played FFXIII from beginning to end two and a half times.
I'm spending a huge chunk of my time discussing and reading discussions about both of those games.
I know what I'm talking about.

Meg

aka958;295271 said:
If you get hurt you get hurt. You don't whine about it but there still is a wound there. That is what happened to Cloud, nothing he could do something about. All due to mako poisoning in the end of Crisis Core. He is sure of himself, he had his doubts but so did Lightning, or else her Ediolon would've never appeared in front of her.

Cloud is withdrawn? Nope, he is not. You must've confused yourself with something else. Cloud is himself, thinking he is something that he isn't, he was stone cold and could just demand cash from Barret knowing it was cash for the future for Marlene. If you didn't know, Marlene is Barret's little kid.

Lightning still hit Snow and called him an idiot? Tell me one single time she does that after chapter 7. She becomes a caring lady, and she shows that her teammates are important from that moment on.
Her target's a target philosophy changed, mentioned in chaper 7 during a conversation with Fang. Where she said something along these lines: "If none of this would've happened I would've been the one hunting l'Cie right now. Seeing them nothing as targets". Her target's a target in the past was "just do my job". It changed when she learned about everything about the Sanctum and acted on her own accord instead. Meaning she chooses her targets and not some boss of hers.

But yeah... Lightning isn't a bitch at the end of the game and Cloud isn't a cold blooded EX-soldier at the end of the game.

I've never seen that they are alike, but that Cloud indeed was a huge inspirational source when making Lightning. It's kind of funny how both their partners is a stereotype black guy who both carry firearms, them being in a train, them both having an EX-soldier background, and of course their right to business attitude.

I've played FFVII from beginning to end three times.
I've played FFXIII from beginning to end two and a half times.
I'm spending a huge chunk of my time discussing and reading discussions about both of those games.
I know what I'm talking about.

Well excuse me for questioning your brilliance on all things Final Fantasy. :rolleyes:

I'll admit some of my word choices weren't the best explaining Cloud. I couldn't find the right word. All I'm saying is that I don't think Lightning and Cloud are that much alike and he was the original inspiration for her, but she changed during development and became her own character. That's all I'm saying.

Oh and regardless of how many times you've played the game I'm still the authority on Lightning :p ;).

aka958

Don't trust people
Meg;295281 said:
Well excuse me for questioning your brilliance on all things Final Fantasy. :rolleyes:

I'll admit some of my word choices weren't the best explaining Cloud. I couldn't find the right word. All I'm saying is that I don't think Lightning and Cloud are that much alike and he was the original inspiration for her, but she changed during development and became her own character. That's all I'm saying.

Oh and regardless of how many times you've played the game I'm still the authority on Lightning :p ;).

Yeah, in the beginning you could clearly see she was almost like a female version of Cloud. But that's just a block of inspiration, she grew out to become her own character as you said.

O'rly? How come with your sayings that Lightning still was a bitch later on when she clearly wasn't?
And... challenge accepted.

DMC

Devil May Cry
Esura;295222 said:

what happen if cloud had sex change but no one knows about and he ended up to be lighting. that will confuse me for life

Top Bottom