• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Favorite RPGs

Sieghart

"Plough the lilies"
Such a crime this thread wasn't made sooner(Or is it?),post some of your favorite role playing games in here.This is a sort of a.....suggestion/nostalgia thread,maybe you guys have played stuff i haven't and vice versa.Please put a reason why you liked it,it would be pointless to say the name of a game without telling anything about it lol

Well mine is:
1.Final Fantasy VII - I absolutely love the gameplay and the characters.This game made me remember the reason why i play RPGs in the first place.

2.Legend of legaia - Love the story and the creative gameplay.As a fan of martial arts and a martial artist myself i enjoy playing this game.

3.Dragon age origins - Damn hard to play this unless you know how to level up your skills and weapons and understand the storyline to play it which is very very interesting

4.Final Fantasy XIII - The only RPG i religiously play this generation of gaming.Absolutely love lightning and the story.The gameplay is quite linear but its amazing.

Chaos Raiden

Avid Gamer & Reviewer
1. Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4 (PS2) - Amazing game that blends RPG and simulation perfectly. Personally better than Persona 3 Fes, and it is one of the best RPGs for PS2.
2. Final Fantasy X International (PS2) - One of the best Final Fantasy game I have ever played, with great gameplay, music, and storyline.
3. Dark Souls (PS3) - One of the hardest RPG games I have ever played, and has many improvements compared with Demon's Souls.
4.. Final Fantasy XIII-2 (PS3) - Many improvements since Final Fantasy XIII make this game one of my favourite RPGs.
5. Demon's Souls (PS3) - One of the hardest RPG games I have ever played, but has unique battle system and lots of challenge.
6. Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga 2 (PS2) - Awesome game that features unique battle system and storyline.Sequel to Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga.
7. Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga (PS2) - Awesome game that features unique battle system and storyline.
8. Shin Megami Tensei: Lucifer's Call (PS2) - One of the unique RPGs that have very different style in both gameplay, visuals, etc than most RPG games.
9. Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 Fes (PS2) - Amazing game that blends RPG and simulation perfectly. One of the best RPGs for PS2.
10. Final Fantasy VII (PS1) - One of the first RPGs I have ever played ever, with great storyline, music, gameplay, etc.
11. Final Fantasy VIII (PS1) - One of my favourite RPGs on PS1.
12. Kingdom Hearts II (PS2) - One of the best action RPGs I have ever played, next to Mass Effect series.
13. Mass Effect 2 (Ps3) - One of the best third person shooter RPG with awesome storyline, gameplay, voice acting, etc.
14. Final Fantasy XIII (PS3) - One of my favourite RPGs despite it's many shortcomings.
15. Kingdom Hearts (PS2) - One of the first action RPGs I have ever played.
16. Mass Effect (Xbox 360) - One of my favourite Action RPGs despite it's mediocre combat system.
17. Tales of Vesperia (Xbox 360) - Great RPG game that features real time battle system with great anime-like quality graphics and style.

mrrandomlulz

Monsuuuta moonssuta mo mo mo mo monsuuta
1.Skyrim
2. Zelda II : The Adventure Of Link (my first RPG :D)
3. Pokemon games
4. Duel masters
5. Pokemon mystery dungeon games
these were all the RPGs i really ever played other than some mmo's really

Tony_Redgrave

TimeLord Detective
Let's see, without including Skyrim which I'll probably love as much as anyone when I finally get it a few years later, here's a small list. Without numbers, because choosing is unfair.

Dragon Age. Love the different starting points for each race, the three classes, the other main characters (Morrigan<3 Lelianna<3 etc.). The 2nd installment improved the gameplay a lot (loved my female rogue) introduced some new awesome characters (Varric you're a god) but degraded the story a bit. Felt like playing a side game in the Dragon Age universe. But all in all, love the series.

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona. The first of those I've played is Persona 2: Eternal Punishment. It really was an eternal punishment to me. In regards of gameplay. While you were not experiencing the story you had to: level up, make monsters friendly to you and get tarot cards which was kinda endless and tiring. Not to mention some really annoying puzzles. But other than that, it kept you busy for weeks. The story was awesome enough that you didn't need to know stuff about the first Persona or Persona 2: Innocent Sin - though knowing story-stuff made the story all the more sweeter I admit. And as always had some great/funny characters. Katsuya, I laugh at your every word.

The 2nd of those and my personal favorite is Persona 3 - NOT FES. The main character there has some super special aura that you fall in love with him the moment he appears. Besides that the atmosphere in the game is really well made, the darkness, the coffins, the tartarus etc. Has a few nice side characters like Akihiko and Shinji, but there's one major flaw (according to me) regarding gameplay. You CAN'T control what the others do, only what the main character does. I mean it does have some orders that you get to issue when you play with the main character like "Yukari, please heal/buff us" but it's not 100% sure that they'll obey either. So in the end you just HAVE to rely ONLY on the main character. Great flaw IMO. Another thing is the guys/gals with which you get to do social links. Except the main characters they're mostly super boring as hell. There are exceptions but..still. I know this somehow sounds weird since I said it's my favourite Persona and started all the rant but it's all true. It has flaws but I still love it.

And finally the 3rd and last of those is Persona 4, which recently came out as an anime (good job being done in it by the way). It fixed ALL problems I had with Persona 3. You can control everyone, all the social links are interesting etc. My only problem is that the main character is a bit boring. I don't know..he's one of those silent protagonists like always, but something doesn't work with it. I love him in the anime, but in the game I feel like I'd prefer using Chie or something. Other than that no complaints!

Other than Persona the only Shin Megami Tensei I played is the 3rd game, Nocturne. It's mostly because of Dante, yeah. Awesome game, love creating my special party selecting demons from who knows where and making my main character exactly how I want him in regards of gameplay. (If only he would wear bigger trousers or a coat or something...can't stand shorts..XD). Dante is the best as always, though since the last boss requires a very certain move in order to beat him - which Dante does not possess, it's kinda a shame since you only get to add him in your party towards the end, but all in all, no complains. Love the multiple endings as well.

Now this is going to sound a bit weird. When I was younger, my favorite game (cut me some slack my only console was the Game Boy and I didn't have a PC) was Pokemon Silver. For the Pokemon fans back then it was a great game, especially since it allowed you to travel to the previous region and battle the previous gym leaders from the old games. Through it I finally managed to create my favorite 6pack of Pokemon. And it is the only Pokemon game in which I caught everything that was available and had more than 50 Pokemon maxed out at 100 level without using rare candies and with them knowing the best attacks possible. Still remember my favorites back then. Charizard from my Pokemon Yellow. Haunter that evolved to Gengar during the trade, again from Pokemon Yellow. Red Gyarados - only available in PKMN Silver/Gold. Lugia with Aeroblast (caught it while I had nothing left to throw at it besides a Heavy Ball which did the trick<3) only available in PKMN Silver. My Dragonite from Pokemon Yellow and finally a Sandslash. Good days those.

Let's go the Final Fantasy Way now. I first played Final Fantasy X. Couldn't really get into it because I hated and continue to hate Tidus with a passion. The only guy which surpasses my hatred there is the guy who attacks with a volleyball. Because of Tidus it didn't make it into the list of my favorites even though it had my favorite way of using the Summons, it had Yuna and Lulu, and Auron and time travel which are all things I love. Well anyway..

I saw Final Fantasy IX after that. Totally prefer it more. The only drawback is the summons - since I prefered the X way - but other than that, Perfect. Kuja is one of my favorite villains ever. And he didn't even lose.

Tried to play Final Fantasy VIII, but the gameplay was..aaargh. You were fighting for hours..yes let's not go there. Loved the story though. As much as I aw. It had witches so yeah..

Final Fantasy XIII now. Didn't have the "something" that all the previous FF had. But in the end it had something of its own. Took me two times to finally accept that and conquer it, but was totally worth it. Also it had NO character I dislike.

I'm playing XIII-2 now. Seems even better. We'll see.

darkslayer13

Enma Katana no Kami
1. Final Fantasy XIII
2. Final Fantasy X-2 (yes the two most hated single player Final Fantasy games are my favorites)
3. Final Fantasy XIII-2 ( it made a lot of improvements but some of the changes are a bit annoying and it just feels like something is missing)
4. Final Fantasy X
5. Legend of the Dragoon ( the best ps1 game ever)

lorddemolatron

I think im sort of dimensional traveller lol
Premium
1. SMT Imagine Online (PC)- Online incarnation of Shin Megami Tensei XD
2. FF XII ( PS2)- Do need explanation ??
3. SMT Nocturne ( PS2)
4. SMT DDS 1@2 (PS2)
5.TESv- Skyrim ( PC)
6. FF XIV Online ( PC)
7. DX: HR ( PC)

Sieghart

"Plough the lilies"
Now this is going to sound a bit weird. When I was younger, my favorite game (cut me some slack my only console was the Game Boy and I didn't have a PC) was Pokemon Silver. For the Pokemon fans back then it was a great game, especially since it allowed you to travel to the previous region and battle the previous gym leaders from the old games. Through it I finally managed to create my favorite 6pack of Pokemon. And it is the only Pokemon game in which I caught everything that was available and had more than 50 Pokemon maxed out at 100 level without using rare candies and with them knowing the best attacks possible. Still remember my favorites back then. Charizard from my Pokemon Yellow. Haunter that evolved to Gengar during the trade, again from Pokemon Yellow. Red Gyarados - only available in PKMN Silver/Gold. Lugia with Aeroblast (caught it while I had nothing left to throw at it besides a Heavy Ball which did the trick<3) only available in PKMN Silver. My Dragonite from Pokemon Yellow and finally a Sandslash. Good days those.

Let's go the Final Fantasy Way now. I first played Final Fantasy X. Couldn't really get into it because I hated and continue to hate Tidus with a passion. The only guy which surpasses my hatred there is the guy who attacks with a volleyball. Because of Tidus it didn't make it into the list of my favorites even though it had my favorite way of using the Summons, it had Yuna and Lulu, and Auron and time travel which are all things I love. Well anyway..

I saw Final Fantasy IX after that. Totally prefer it more. The only drawback is the summons - since I prefered the X way - but other than that, Perfect. Kuja is one of my favorite villains ever. And he didn't even lose.

Tried to play Final Fantasy VIII, but the gameplay was..aaargh. You were fighting for hours..yes let's not go there. Loved the story though. As much as I aw. It had witches so yeah..

Final Fantasy XIII now. Didn't have the "something" that all the previous FF had. But in the end it had something of its own. Took me two times to finally accept that and conquer it, but was totally worth it. Also it had NO character I dislike.

I'm playing XIII-2 now. Seems even better. We'll see.

Nahhh its okay i also like pokemon because its my very first rpg.I think its pokemon sapphire or something.
As an order for the FF series-
FFX - yes
FFIX - yes
FFVIII - I'm going to replay the game again because my friend says that the story makes no sense at all.
FFXIII2 - Love the gameplay but the ending really sucks!!!

Meg

Easily Oblivion. That game is just freaking epic! In a close second is Persona 3. The story, characters, and writing are all so well done it's amazing. The gameplay is great too.

Satsui no Hado

BUY ONE THOUSAND GIFTS!!!
Fire Emblem Series
Kingdom Hearts
Kingdom Hearts 2
Kingdom Hearts:Chain Of Memories
Kingdom Hearts Birth By Sleep
Super Mario RPG
Paper Mario
Paper Mario:The Thousand Year Door
Chrono Trigger
Final Fantasy VI
Final Fantasy IX
Final Fantasy X
Skyrim (Has probably some of the most respectable dragons I've seen in a long time.)
Mass Effect Series
Star Wars:Knights Of The Old Republic
Star Wars:Knights Of The Old Republic 2
The World Ends With You
Tales Of Vesperia
Tales Of Xillia
Tales Of The Abyss
Pokemon Series (Especially the first generation games and the shadow pokemon games)
Arc Rise Fantasia (Not a grade A RPG game,but definiatly not as bad as made out to be)
Persona 4

Dark Drakan

Admin
In no particular order off top off my head:

Skyrim
Oblivion
Fallout 3 & New Vegas
Star Wars: Knights Of The Old Republic
Star Wars: Knights Of The Old Republic II
Mass Effect series
Deus Ex: Human Revolution (rpg/shooter)
Final Fantasy X
Final Fantasy IX

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
The one in which you don't have to take turns and you don't have to rely on crap load of stat screen and upgrade screen

Ultima

Obsessed Green Day Fangirl ^^
Kingdom Hearts - The first game I ever played for PS2, ever since I played the first one I've been hooked. The only one I havent played is Birth By Sleep. The storyline is just amazing and the characters are wonderfully developed. H will always have a special place in my hearts xD
Final Fantasy 7 - My favorite game I have ever played. Nuff said. (I love Cloud >.<)
Final Fantasy 10 - I can honestly never forget my first experience playing this game, I cried my eyes out during the ending >.<
Final Fantasy 12- DAT STORYLINE!!!!
Final Fantasy 13 - It was pretty meh but I liked it anyways. I loved the characters, the story and gameplay were the meh part
Final Fantasy 13-2 - Defiantely better than FF13. Im so glad its not like FF10-2 @.@
Legnd of Zelda: Windmaker - I think this is the first game I've ever played. But, it was just freaking amazing, I would do anything to play it again >.<

Top Bottom