• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Does fashion matter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

V

Oldschool DMC fan
Just wondering if Dante's fashion sense in the new DmC matters to you as a gamer and a fan.

NT are telling us that it's important, that Dante needs to 'get with the times'. But I've always felt that Dante's fashion sense in the other games was (almost) timeless, and not that important in itself. In DMC1, While he wears 'modern-day clothes' clearly, they weren't current for the year 2000 and have a genrally warrioresque and functional look to them. Neither were DMC2's (if you ignore the Diesel stuff) - his outfit there looks like some kind of older style elegant velvety ensemble, and still not current for the time the game came out. It seems with DMC3 and 4 Dante was fixed to make him look a bit more 'fashionable', though very few people seemed to have a problem with Vergil's choice of wardrobe - or indeed Sparda's, which hail mainly from the 18th Century by the looks of them.

Personally I liked the idea of Dante's world not being much like ours (a modern world in which demons exist, a demon once ruled, and is inflenced by a lot of gothic architectural trends it seems) and that Dante's fashion, while not all that important, should look like it belongs in that world, not this one.

What do you think?

Ebony

Dante enthusiast!
Premium
Lexy;285066 said:
Personally I liked the idea of Dante's world not being much like ours (a modern world in which demons exist, a demon once ruled, and is inflenced by a lot of gothic architectural trends it seems) and that Dante's fashion, while not all that important, should look like it belongs in that world, not this one!

^ Exactly!

It seems the new game doesn't have that 'gothic'/'out of this world' styling to it at all, not just the clothing. :(

The 'Historic' feel of the game(s) is what attracted me to it in the first place.

I would like to see them going in the direction they are going in - apparantly keeping up with the times, but also not forgetting about past DMC games and having more of a creative style - it has the potential to look really different and amazing! Sorry that was more about they whole game, not just the clothes.

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
Lexy;285066 said:
Just wondering if Dante's fashion sense in the new DmC matters to you as a gamer and a fan.

NT are telling us that it's important, that Dante needs to 'get with the times'. But I've always felt that Dante's fashion sense in the other games was (almost) timeless, and not that important in itself. In DMC1, While he wears 'modern-day clothes' clearly, they weren't current for the year 2000 and have a genrally warrioresque and functional look to them. Neither were DMC2's (if you ignore the Diesel stuff) - his outfit there looks like some kind of older style elegant velvety ensemble, and still not current for the time the game came out. It seems with DMC3 and 4 Dante was fixed to make him look a bit more 'fashionable', though very few people seemed to have a problem with Vergil's choice of wardrobe - or indeed Sparda's, which hail mainly from the 18th Century by the looks of them.

Personally I liked the idea of Dante's world not being much like ours (a modern world in which demons exist, a demon once ruled, and is inflenced by a lot of gothic architectural trends it seems) and that Dante's fashion, while not all that important, should look like it belongs in that world, not this one.

What do you think?

I don't think the fashion matters as such. More so, the period of time it's being portrayed in. Everything goes out of fashion as soon as it gets into it. And people obsessed with it, will constantly look for the 'next big thing' in fashion. I've always seen Dante as being rather stylish in his dress sense. In this he looks to be modernised. My problem with that is that he is currently styled to how someone would be in the World today. And that really makes it feel too similar to our World, compared to the Devil May Cry World.

We can believe that Dante lives in Modern times. Devil May Cry Three had a School Bus outside the shop. However, humans are rarely ever shown to us in the games. Neither are they in Devil May Cry 1. Devil May Cry 2 and 4 are the only times that humans have really been evident. In Devil May Cry 2, it was very much less so. In Devil May Cry 4, we had this whole civilisation of people. Humans are existent in the Devil May Cry Universe, but I wouldn't want Dante styled in the way to 'keep up with the times'. For me that takes away a certain element of his originality.

That's just my opinion.

heatlancer

1# Trickster
word, it'd look weird see'in some dude in a hoody swinging around a broad sword or god forbit a katana, their trench coats fits perfectly

capcom are just stupid ****s

Richtofen

Nein, not ze puppies!
Premium
Dante always had that trademark trenchcoat/overcoat thing, it looked modern. The new DmC is almost too modern for me though...DMC has it's own world.

GamblingGambitCloud

LoD Come Back!!!
personally i like and i don't see anything wrong with it....it appeals to me, both as a gamer and a person who also dresses like that....and there is nothing saying in any of the previous games that Dante is not in our world...yeah he may not be in any known cities...but if i remember correctly, the first game was on an island, the second was in a post-apocalyptic future, and the fourth was in a city run by a cult. The third could very well fit in any one of our cities today. The only difference is we don't have a giant demonic tower....but all that COULD very well take place in our world today...maybe there is no difference between the devil may cry world and ours....maybe you just see what you want to believe?

icmasticc

I agree with everybody who says DMC fashion should be restricted to it's own world. There's no reason to try and model Dante's fashion based on referecences in real life because Devil May Cry is supposed to take place in an alternate, fictional world. I've never really had a problem with Dante's clothes until now. I'm not a fan of the skinny clothes movement(nor the EXTRA baggy either tho lol) so he looks stupid to me right now.

I liked the way he dressed in the main series. He had that sort of Eastern flair and anime-ish creativity you often see if you read lots of manga. The trenchcoat isn't a must for me but they could have spun it MUCH better than they did.

V

Oldschool DMC fan
...Where does it say that DMC2 was set in a post-apocalyptic future?

aka958

Don't trust people
GamblingGambitCloud;285118 said:
personally i like and i don't see anything wrong with it....it appeals to me, both as a gamer and a person who also dresses like that....and there is nothing saying in any of the previous games that Dante is not in our world...yeah he may not be in any known cities...but if i remember correctly, the first game was on an island, the second was in a post-apocalyptic future, and the fourth was in a city run by a cult. The third could very well fit in any one of our cities today. The only difference is we don't have a giant demonic tower....but all that COULD very well take place in our world today...maybe there is no difference between the devil may cry world and ours....maybe you just see what you want to believe?

Hmm...

Demons made of sand, beasts known in mythology, renowned names of ancient mythology and older texts such as Artemis, Cerberus, Dante, Vergil, Lucifer, Echidna, etc, etc. The style of the weapons, the setting and the environment.

DMC1: An island with a late-medieval castle theme.
DMC2: An island again with yet another medieval theme with added technological mechanical transports (helicopters and tanks)
DMC3: To what me looks like a regular town. How many games has ever had a regular towns looking like existing in the 1900? Many. For example: FFVII has an industrial feel to it with fantasy looking characters.
DMC4: Seriously? Fortuna? Look at the place again. The architecture and the simplistic wooden docks.

I don't know about you Cloud, but I know what I see. I see that the DmC is going for modernised fashion and that the DMC series were not in that way under any circumstance. I see that DMC was a game of it's own fashion. Maybe you are just seeing what you want to see.

If someone wants to cosplay as a DMC character one can easily see that it is a cosplayer due to the clothing not being as realistic in the game. One can easily buy an expensive jacket, get a haircut and look like DINO without much effort.

Dante's Stalker

"Outrun this!"
Premium
Supporter 2014
I think having a young Dante dressed up in red leather trenchcoat and black vest and shiny buckles won't fit with DmC. He won't fit into the new world they've created. In that sense, fashion does matter.

Since this is a retelling of his origins, it means he's got no Rebellion, no money for a red coat, and he probably still needs to mug someone to get those boots of his. I think the new look is fashioned to fit with the package, so I have no complaints.

aka958

Don't trust people
Master Vergil;285148 said:
I think having a young Dante dressed up in red leather trenchcoat and black vest and shiny buckles won't fit with DmC. He won't fit into the new world they've created. In that sense, fashion does matter.

Since this is a retelling of his origins, it means he's got no Rebellion, no money for a red coat, and he probably still needs to mug someone to get those boots of his. I think the new look is fashioned to fit with the package, so I have no complaints.

But he can afford a sword that can extend and switch forms? :p

None of that fits in that world of the retelling. Thus it's not much Devil May Cry in the game left. Why couldn't Capcom just give it another name and other names for the characters? It would be so much simpler.

Meg

aka958;285152 said:
But he can afford a sword that can extend and switch forms? :p

None of that fits in that world of the retelling. Thus it's not much Devil May Cry in the game left. Why couldn't Capcom just give it another name and other names for the characters? It would be so much simpler.

Because then people wouldn't be raging about it on the net giving it free promotion.

aka958

Don't trust people
Meg;285171 said:
Because then people wouldn't be raging about it on the net giving it free promotion.

Yeah, people would rather accept that the DMC series is put to rest and not twisted into something most fans don't want. :\

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
I actually don't much care about Dante's fashion. So long as it fits the setting, it's fine for me.

Asmodaius

Dante's fashion sense... What fashion sense? XD
I'm not really going along the whole "Dante needs to fit todays fashion", because honestly, what he wears in the new trailer aren't really all modern and fashionable. It's a fantasy world, they can do what they want with his looks as long it fits the setting.

The feashion sense Dante from past games had is what I call the "Matrix-style". He does indeed look like other hero characters from his time like Neo, Blade, even Selene from Underworld, who made the idea of wearing long coats into a fashion phenomenom for alternative people, those who aren't following the mainstream. However, Dante made the style more flamboyant by choosing to wear the style in bright red colours. And it fits his personality, because he isn't all dark and gothic, but rather careless and light-hearted. And the long coat looked cool in the stylish action-gameplay that is Devil May Cry.

His jacket in the DmC trailer isn't as long as in the previous games, but it still seems to fly around when in the hectic fights. And I like his new style. If he wore a long coat when looking like he does he would easily look like a second Neo. So a shorter jacket is a nice choice for him in my opinion.

However, other than having a shorter jacket, there's not much difference in his choice of style. He has a wifebeater on instead of a black bulletproof vest, but considering the game's setting, I don't think he's had such a vest available yet. He didn't even wear it in DMC3, no, then he was bare-chested.

Also, the fact that he is beaten up and dirty in the new DmC... I don't think that's a fashion choice. In the past games, he would have been beaten up and dirty as well when fighting demons like he do. Invincible or not, no one jumps around on walls and slay demons like he does without getting stained and bruised. I think it has something to do with today's technology making it available for the developers to show the damage being dealt to Dante this time around.

Dante'sgirl

Forever For Dante
Well...For me his jacket is cool, quite fashion...the accessories around his neck is good also as for me accessories is a part of fashion. Moreover, for me fashion is more than clothes and accessories,it is about the personality also and Dante seems to have the personality "I don't give a damn" and this is trendy.

moseslmpg

I think NT's reasoning for upgrading his fashion sense is purposefully specious. As some have pointed out, what Dino is wearing isn't modern or fashionable in our world, so that can't be it, and since DINO is set in a fictional world, they can arbitrarily designate any costume as modern for that context.

We have to remember that originally NT didn't want to change his design much, but Capcom pushed them to make Dino unrecognizable as Dante. There may be some of this Twilight/hipster/emo aesthetic that they were going for (for another similarly unwarranted endeavor, see the redesigned "Superman"), but I think that is as far as we can say his fashion is supposed to be modern.

But his original red coat look is neither modern nor archaic, rather it is more iconic, not bound by any time period in particular. I could see it in the Middle Ages and I could see it in the 2000s. That was a true fashion statement, and it defined Dante's character. And they changed that, for better or worse (probably worse).

veg-G

Mmm-hmm.....so what were we talking about again?
i liked all of the previous dante's outfits......it was gothic, stylish, and elegant (for a dude)and punkish (dmc3)

my eyes cannot adjust to this new dante....it'll take some time to get used to the guy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom