• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

does all the new features for the remastered DmC, more combat depth

Lord Nero

Ultraviolet Sentinel
Probably not. I mean, even with the improvements, DMC4 still has more combos overall, and I suppose it's also less restrictive than DmC considering it lacks color-coded enemies and doesn't throw enemies into the air every time you go into Devil Trigger and such.
And DmC's boss fights would still be way too easy (probably even easier).
I recommend watching the entire series of the video below.

Check it out from 7:58 onward.

Last edited:

LoneRangerNinjutsu

The Man Without Fear!
Well, I have the feeling that no matter how much the combat changes or advances in either version, whichever one people like most will simply be the one people like most. While I'll always enjoy DmC's combat, I lean towards DMC4 a lot more simply because I find it more gratifying to play, but I understand others might feel differently, which is why I'm incredibly grateful that Ninja Theory is adding so many new (or old, depending how you view it) options to add to the game's combat. I'm ecstatic about all the new additions they've implemented into DmC. Manual lock-on is something I've been dying for since the game's release.

berto

I Saw the Devil
Huh... That's a fair question. What are the major changes to the game? Frame rate, yes. 1080, no, not at all. Hardcore mode, yes. New skins, no. Manual lock on, Yes, depending on how it's implemented to the directional commands. Red and blue enemy damage all around, well, come on, that's a given.

Everything here and everything else, though, is still subject to the final product. Like ToCool said, we won't know till the game is in our hands. Maybe we should ask for a demo. Greg man was here not long ago, he can convey our thoughts on it and an open line of communication could lead to something.

ChaserTech

Huh... That's a fair question. What are the major changes to the game? Frame rate, yes. 1080, no, not at all. Hardcore mode, yes. New skins, no. Manual lock on, Yes, depending on how it's implemented to the directional commands. Red and blue enemy damage all around, well, come on, that's a given.

Everything here and everything else, though, is still subject to the final product. Like ToCool said, we won't know till the game is in our hands. Maybe we should ask for a demo. Greg man was here not long ago, he can convey our thoughts on it and an open line of communication could lead to something.

I personally think the core gameplay will stay intact if it's similar to the Special Edition DMC3 was received. Same goes for DMC4 as well when the special edition comes out for it.
If the developers went out of their way to change up the mechanics within DmC, it could be possible. But I'm on the side of "Gameplay will most likely be the same but just with new modes added"

LoneRangerNinjutsu

The Man Without Fear!
I'm wondering how the manual lock-on will work, considering that with manual lock-on, the separate button used for "launch" is no longer needed. Is that button for dodging now? I can only assume so...

berto

I Saw the Devil
I'm wondering how the manual lock-on will work, considering that with manual lock-on, the separate button used for "launch" is no longer needed. Is that button for dodging now? I can only assume so...
From Greg's post and the stuff in the descriptions I think it's an option in the controller layout and the old one and the one with the lock on is optional.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Probably not. I mean, even with the improvements, DMC4 still has more combos overall, and I suppose it's also less restrictive than DmC considering it lacks color-coded enemies and doesn't throw enemies into the air every time you go into Devil Trigger and such.

Literally every restriction you just mentioned there is being tweaked in DmC-DE-. Colored enemies can be damaged by anything, enemy and boss AI and behavior is redone, and Hardcore removes DT's launching effect. Hell, the entirety of Hardcore revolves around emulating the classic DMC for that specific purpose.

To elaborate on what Berto said - it's another function you can map to your control scheme if you want. From there, there's another option to make it a Hold input a la classic DMC, or a Toggle, like Kingdom Hearts of Dark Souls. You can map it to whatever key you want, too, so if you wanna move both mode triggers to the Left triggers, you can make R1 the lock-on.

However, with the way it's implemented, it doesn't change the function of the Special Attack button. It doesn't add the classic directional inputs, that would be unnecessary :p

Last edited by a moderator:

ChaserTech

I recommend watching the entire series of the video below.

Check it out from 7:58 onward.

Honestly dude, everything that you listed was added with the Definitive Edition. Just like @TWOxACROSS stated.

However my main gripe with DmC's combat system is that Jump Cancelling creates hitstun, which shouldn't happen and it limits a lot of potential that DmC has. It's the same reason why I got fairly upset about Bayonetta's combat system as well, although the game doesn't revolve around Jump Cancelling to stay in the air like DMC does. If this is somehow fixed with the Definitive Edition, I might just get it. But for now, my attention is being directed towards DMC4:SE.

Lord Nero

Ultraviolet Sentinel
Honestly dude, everything that you listed was added with the Definitive Edition. Just like @TWOxACROSS stated.

However my main gripe with DmC's combat system is that Jump Cancelling creates hitstun, which shouldn't happen and it limits a lot of potential that DmC has. It's the same reason why I got fairly upset about Bayonetta's combat system as well, although the game doesn't revolve around Jump Cancelling to stay in the air like DMC does. If this is somehow fixed with the Definitive Edition, I might just get it. But for now, my attention is being directed towards DMC4:SE.
Still wouldn't make the combat deeper than DMC4. Seems like there would still be just as many combos.
That, and the general gameplay would still be pretty mediocre, improved combat or not.
But at least they're willing to change most of DmC's combat flaws... now for the story and the characters, lol.

Literally every restriction you just mentioned there is being tweaked in DmC-DE-. Colored enemies can be damaged by anything, enemy and boss AI and behavior is redone, and Hardcore removes DT's launching effect. Hell, the entirety of Hardcore revolves around emulating the classic DMC for that specific purpose.
Even if they can be damaged by everything, it still depends on how *much* they can be damaged. If the demon weapons still do much less damage than angel weapons to the angelic enemies (and vice versa), I'd hardly call it an improvement.
But whatever, if they do get as much damage, that's great.

SSSSwagmasterMLGDmCplaya

Even if they can be damaged by everything, it still depends on how *much* they can be damaged. If the demon weapons still do much less damage than angel weapons to the angelic enemies (and vice versa), I'd hardly call it an improvement.
There's something I'd like to propose.

I never liked being restricted like I did with color coded enemies, and DT didnt do much justice for the enemies. In DMC4 enemies like Fausts took little damage with their cloaks on, but it was still possible to kill them without eliminating their cloaks with guns. So....
Color coded enemies should take damage from all weapons, however the weapons dedicated to them do more damage than usual, and other weapons are weak (not too weak). So blue enemies get hurt from angel weapons more than they would from demon weapons.

Ruisu

Of course you don't remember me.
Just not getting knock back when using the "wrong" weapon would be perfect. The problem with color coded enemies was never the damage you can't deal, but the way using an opposite weapon would break your combo. I think that DT can ignore these effects, but DT in this game doesn't come up very often, at least in my playthrough.

There's something I'd like to propose.

I never liked being restricted like I did with color coded enemies, and DT didnt do much justice for the enemies. In DMC4 enemies like Fausts took little damage with their cloaks on, but it was still possible to kill them without eliminating their cloaks with guns. So....
Color coded enemies should take damage from all weapons, however the weapons dedicated to them do more damage than usual, and other weapons are weak (not too weak). So blue enemies get hurt from angel weapons more than they would from demon weapons.
Basically shielded enemys like Tyrants or Butchers. You have to work your way around them with charged attacks, strikes from behind and air combos. It's not easy to figure it out at first, but once you do the combos will flow nicely.
Dealing with color coded enemies is mostly cluncky.

Top Bottom