• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Do you think DmC has ruined trustyle tournaments?

wallenb

Humanoid Typhoon
Maybe I'm not looking hard enough but I cant find any good trustyle toury's. And it all happened back in 2013. I remember the fight. I remember defending DmC before the release and knowing in the back of my mind that the game wasn't going to be "as loose" as DMC4. And after the demo, figuring out the controls and knowing how easy it was to stay in the air, I thought to myself, "I've only been able to JC in DMC3 with the gauntlet and nothing else and now im floating like a feather on a windy day with so many options of attacks to choose from. " I knew every combo vid was going to be the same.

After years of playing the game and researching tips and ****, I understand that JC isn't the initiation into having great trustyle vids, it's the set ups and weapon switching and gun switchimg and buffering that really make DDmC a true...trustyle contestant.

If you have any fancy, behind the back, no look kills or weapon buffering with set ups please drop a sic vid. I have no video editing skills so......

Did DmC kill trustyle?

wallenb

Humanoid Typhoon
I'm not comfortable answering this question.
Maybe asking that question could start a war lol but what I meant was DMC has its own style and so does DmC. And I haven't seen a DmC combo vid that is unique to its game play yet.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
Maybe asking that question could start a war lol but what I meant was DMC has its own style and so does DmC. And I haven't seen a DmC combo vid that is unique to its game play yet.
I thought that Rainstorm multi-juggle trick this guy did @ 0:23 was pretty decent...

----

Not to mention, SamD's vids were the stuff of legend, imo.

But I'm not going to elaborate further. Better to back out while the waters are still calm.

Unfortunately, I'm unable to find this awesome DmC vid where this one guy completely annihilated his enemies during his combos -- mostly because the title's in Japanese, I don't remember the guy's name, and the vid itself is really old.

Ah well.

wallenb

Humanoid Typhoon
I thought that Rainstorm multi-juggle trick this guy did @ 0:23 was pretty decent...

----

Not to mention, SamD's vids were the stuff of legend, imo.

But I'm not going to elaborate further. Better to back out while the waters are still calm.

Unfortunately, I'm unable to find this awesome DmC vid where this one guy completely annihilated his enemies during his combos -- mostly because the title's in Japanese, I don't remember the guy's name, and the vid itself is really old.

Ah well.
0_0
thank you.

kablooy set ups are ridiculous.
more....more...MORE!!!!!

well maybe I'm late but is everyone this good? lol I'm bad ass but it takes time lol

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
I don't think the thread will cause many arguments, to be honest.

The only thing I could see as a problem was the title itself, so I've conveniently edited it so it's not too 'problematic'.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
The thing for me is that DmC simplified some mechanics a bit too much, and that, combined with a more limited moveset, made the DmC videos more samey and less hype to watch, especially for someone who knows the games well.

For example, the hitbox for Enemy Step was made huge and the time frame within which you can cancel a move with it made wider, so it ain't as impressive when someone pulls it off, cause you know it's a lot easier.
Or buffering. While in the older games there was buffering in the true sense of the word, in DmC they had that mechanic where if you start, say, a 4 hit combo with weapon A but then switch to weapon B at the second hit (you know, when your weapon glows), you'll do the weapon B combo starting from hit 3 and so on. That is easier to do than buffering, but is also less versatile and diminishes combo potential, as well as nullifying weapon canceling, which was also a thing in the older games.

Then you got the absence of directional inputs, which restricts your moves count, and the lack of taunts, which in DMC4 make for some sick ass final touches after a combo when timed right with some moves (for example, letting the explosion for Charge Shot 3 be the final hit and making Nero do the "fake shot" with his gun, only to see the enemy actually explode as he does it).

Other stuff like Inertia or Devil Trigger specific moves were removed while the mechanics that they did bring back from the older games, they made it overly effective, like the pull/lift, which now had an enormous range as opposed to Nero's Snatch, which, as you said in your opening post, made staying in the air way too easy, as well as keeping a combo going. Or Round Trip, which lasts a lot longer.

I get it, they wanted to make the game more accessible to have more people jumping in the franchise while still retaining the stylish action, which they did, but the downside is that if you make compromises like that, you can't expect to top what came before. As a result, despite retaining DMC's signature core combat system of chaining single moves together instead of relying too much on the DAC, DmC's combos aren't as vary or as spectacular as its predecessors', even with some cool tricks of its own.

TL;DR
It all comes down to the compromises made to the combat system's complexity in order to draw a broader audience in.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
DmC didn't really add nor ruin anything for Truestyle tournaments. It's not the games fault that there aren't anymore Truestyle tournaments, it's the most of the master players faults for being so anal about DmC that they act like they can't just boot up DMC3:SE or DMC4: SE (or hell even Bayonetta and MGR) and continue doing Truestyle tournaments again.

Top Bottom