• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Do you have to know the full depth of DMC/DmC's gameplay to only be considered good at it?

Dante94513

Facing my first criticism about my gameplay. I found it no giant BIG DEAL, but I did question it a bit. He/She said that because he didn't show things like combos, and such that I'm very (extremely it seems) bad at both DmC and the DMC games. Note, this is how I play.

I'm not completely perfect, but I thought the things about gaming is that you can be good in anyway you chose to play as long you're good at it. I never cheapen my way in playing DMC. I'm not a combo person, but I do take note from those players that are, while at the same time find my own way. But is my way of playing bad at all? Just curious.

Last edited:

Angel

Is not rat, is hamster
Admin
Do you enjoy the game playing it the way you do?

Can you complete missions using your method?

Because that, to me, is what matters with ANY game. Can't be doing with style snobbery - ruins things for people when there is only "one" way considered to be right.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
I can already smell bullshit in what that guy told you, but I can't see the videos now as I'm on my phone. I'll watch them on my PC in a while and reply later.

Director Bison

King of Games
Premium Elite
Premium
if you can beat the game on the hardest difficulty without being cheap/cheating i think you can consider yourself good
that's the highest challenge the developers set for you

there's always room for improvement of course but your critic is full of ****
not getting past human is bad at devil may cry
betting hell and hell is anything but

but a tip for fighting blitz as dante at least what i do is i use full house and royal guard when i hit them very easy to just guard that way

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
I can already smell bullshit in what that guy told you

I smelled right.

I'm not a combo person, but I do take note from those players that are, while at the same time find my own way. But is my way of playing bad at all?

No.

So, I would like to tell you what you've been told before, namely that as long as you're having fun, nothing else matters. While it's true, I reckon that's not what you're asking. You're having doubts about your playstyle being "good" or "bad", and if it necessary to know everything about DMC's combat to be defined "good".

The thing about DMC is that it gives you the freedom to play it however you want. There's no good or bad way to play it. The way you forged your playstyle is as valid as anyone else's.
True, DMC does put emphasis on combos, and the player's ability to perform them, but as I said, a key factor that characterizes Devil May Cry is the freedom to play it as you see fit. You, not a random commenter.

Shrug this off of you, buddy.

Wajpa

Also Viper339 on Twitch!
There's no bad way of playing. The only thing which can be bad is your execution.

If he's comparing your play to combo videos, he's pretty stupid. No "combo" player does similar combos like on the recording when they're just playing the game. When they're recording for the combo videos, they usually try a few times to get the combo they want and they only leave the cool looking ones in the actual video.

Since you thought about the criticism the person gave you, I'm going to assume you're a person who strives to improve at the game you're playing else you wouldn't care what they say about your play. If you want to improve, you should listen to the criticism but "you're not showing enough combos" is a bull*** criticism.

So, I'd just say, if you want to improve, listen to constructive criticism but don't listen to ones which don't help you at all.

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
I can't view the videos whilst using this phone. But, a game is there to be played and enjoyed. I doubt anyone truly cares whether anybody else is good or bad, because those that do care are just smug douchebags who think their style of playing is the best way or the right way to play a game. I can't stick those types of people, so just ignore them and keep playing however it works best for you!

:thumbsup:

absolitude

the devil is not as black as he painted
as long as you enjoy it, nobody tells you what to do and what not to do.. i'm not a combo person either, but if i do managed getting into combos, i would certainly enjoy it, but before that happens that won't stop me from enjoying it..

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
I suggest you ignore it and do your own thing. Im playing Souls games a lot and easily beat most bosses, but not interested in PvP. For that I was called "filthy casual". Do I care? nope. If somebody invades me, than we see who's better, but why be bothered with people like this.

Vergil Crosse

I'm one of the top 5 players on the leaderboards for DmC (PS4), and I think your "raid awareness" is better than mine! :) Your game play is straight up good. You don't have to be flashy or technical or any of that. You know what you're doing, you have a clear idea of your next move, you have a general sense of incoming attacks, and you're able to compensate and adjust to counter attack. That is all conveyed through your game play. I was able to see it. Others of the community can see it too.

It sounds to me, the guy was living vicariously through other dmc players who ARE combo monsters and trying to make you feel bad for something they weren't able to do. That was some sweet game play no matter which way you look at it :)

Top Bottom