• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Do people really mean it when they say they want "something new"?

Jak

i like turtles
Supporter 2014
With the movie i think the problem was that it wasn't a take that people liked because they see it as selling out and turning him grim and gritty and even calling it the "bat of steel" because they tried too hard to be Chris Nolan's Batman.

Rather than trying to find a new take that was uniquely Superman, they just jumped on the bandwagon to some people.

the reboot is another discussion.

the thing to me is...BOTH SUPERMAN MOVIES WERE WRITTEN BEFORE NOLAN'S TRILOGY (sorta)!!! Supermna returns was written in like 2003 and MoS was written in 2004 then edited in 2012.

IncarnatedDemon

I mean it.
I never would want DMC to be like Call of Duty or RE.

I want a Trish spin off
I want a Vergil game
Sparda game would be ok too, but the two above is my biggest wishes.

I also want a DMC x Bayonetta game

I am more positive about a game where Trish or Vergil is protaganist than Dante, because i have seen Dante so many times. And we need to see Vergil in his own game , and Trish too (that would be nice as well).

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
the thing to me is...BOTH SUPERMAN MOVIES WERE WRITTEN BEFORE NOLAN'S TRILOGY (sorta)!!! Supermna returns was written in like 2003 and MoS was written in 2004 then edited in 2012.
well i was talking more about Man of steel than returns.

The issue with returns was that it was too retro in what it was trying to do so it turned people off. So its the opposite problem to Man of Steel.

Jak

i like turtles
Supporter 2014
well i was talking more about Man of steel than returns.

The issue with returns was that it was too retro in what it was trying to do so it turned people off. So its the opposite problem to Man of Steel.

oh...then just forget what i said about returns then :p

Jak

i like turtles
Supporter 2014
I don't consider Man Of Steel, The Amazing Spiderman, or Robocop as New.
I consider them what they are......Reboots.
The Same situations, same characters, same events just re-told in a muddled way.
The Amazing Spiderman, Man Of Steel, Batman begins, they aren't new.
It's the same story re-told 12different ways. It's a poor attempt at new.

New is continuing what's there with new content.
New is Something like IronMan, The Avengers, Batman/Superman, Justice League, comics that haven't hit live action movies yet.

This is falling under the explanation i gave in your why are "the fans" so hard to please?
People do want something new, they just don't want garbage.
And if you hadn't notice about 80% of the reboots, remakes, or new ideas are garbage.
The real question should be when is hollywood going to start using real creativity again & stop spending so much time milking the audience.

sorry. the conversation drifted. but i do mean that. when i say something "new" i'm referring to not something of its own origin. anyone can create a universe of their own with with their own cast and world. but i was referring to "new stories" for old characters. like flashpoint. that was new. a lot of people hated it, but they asked for a new barry allen story that involved time travel and alternate universes and they got it. now they whine. people asked for a new movie with superman where lois isn't a ****ing idiot and figures out who clark is. we got it and they whine about it. they ask for these "new" ideas (which are really just old ideas that aren't used so technically when they are used they're "new") and once they get them, they are rejected.

MigsRZXAStylish

In a place where no one follows me. i Walk Alone!
What I think of the term something new?

It's rather ambiguous. Nothing is ever specific when saying something like that.

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
She was an absolute horrible choice as Lara Croft, Angelina Jolie sounded like she had marsh mellows in her mouth.
LOL that made me chuckle i didn't really think she was that bad.. i mean she's kinda hot and i never really knew that Lara was British until i played the games.
But NO, hollywood choose to fake it horribly for the sake of popular popular actress at the time.
She's still better than milla jovovich if you ask me XD
It's because it's a reboot, it's because ALOT of times hollywood chooses a poor cast to play these fan favorite characters
IMO most video games movies are barely watchable .. they're always doomed expect the worst.

EDIT: though you gotta admit nemesis getting KO'd was really hilarious XD

it's right there with baneVsbatman levels of stupidity.

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
I have nothing against Angelina Jolie, i think she's a decent actress but she was totally wrong for the role of Lara Croft.
Angelina Jolie as Lara Croft was nothing but Fanservice
tch. it doesn't matter the script was garbage action movie cliched nonsense they need to get that correct before casting specifics.​

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
Yea true but no worse then other movies today RESIDENT EVIL!!!!! They fill the cast with the wrong actors & still use a bad script. Each RESIDENT EVIL movie is worse then the last.
IMHO resident evil movies are one of the worst video games adaptations i've ever seen that its really hard to top nemesis bareknuckle fighting XD

Jak

i like turtles
Supporter 2014
You're having trouble with why people hate reboots, not why people hate something new.

A reboot is Not new.
It is Not creative because you building on an already laid foundation.
It is not a new story for an old character.
A new story for an old character would be a sequel to the original. Not a replacement of the original.
Those ideas simply suck because they aren't thought out from scratch.

A reboot is like a song Remix.
It's the old song re-organized with techno crap mixed in.

I think what would give you a much better understanding is a Thread Asking How Do People feel About Reboots.

you're missing what i'm saying. i'm not saying that people hate reboots or that reboots present anything new (some do however, but for the sake of argument lets go with no). i'm saying that when fans ask for something "new" for a character IN a reboot or even in the current universe, they bitch about what they were given even though its what they asked for

Jak

i like turtles
Supporter 2014
Well the plane crash did from afterlife. The plane crash nose first directly into a mountain, Alice flies head first to the cockpit as it hits the mountain. And she walks out of the burning wreckage with little injury.

I understand what you're saying & my answer still fits.
People ask for things in movies & hollywood gives it to them but hollywood screws it up, so people complain.
Case in point.

Spiderman: People wanted Venom........Yet they got this

fcd79081af6e437147fc3c2df259f878.jpg
37745802734fa371f3f52e903d2e842b.jpg
Not this.
This is the Venom people wanted, not the skinny topher grace version.

not just in hollywood tho boo. its everywhere
flashpoint-logo.jpg

more engaging story centered around the flash family
0630-wonder-woman-pants_full_600.jpg

look more like a hero and not a stripper
266px-Leo%2CRaph%2CDon_and_Mikey_10.jpg

more comic book accurate

all things asked for and all hated

Jak

i like turtles
Supporter 2014
Not the WonderWoman we grewup with.
There she looked like every average comic female, she even looks like WitchBlade.

WonderWoman is an Amazon, not a stripper.

9010fa79b9ffddef8467c893ab867303.jpg
5a042742f232643d0b163ddef1a2727a.jpg
She adapted her costume to represent the u.s.a. & not lose the appearance of Greek mythology at the same time.
The New WonderWoman outfit sucks.

And which TMNT are you talking about ?
The CG movie or the upcoming where they were supposedly aliens?

the whole thing with wonderwoman is that...well...her suit didn't age well. a lot of DC character's suits didn't. and i don't know why they didn't stick with her battle armor suit (i think it was either 80's or 90's) but artist after artist...i certainly couldn't call her WONDERwoman any longer.
TMNT show in 2003. even though it went back to the comic book roots, not many people knew about them. so the new series brought this "new" feel to the franchise. and people asked for a more serious tone like the last few seasons of the old show. thats what they got.

Jak

i like turtles
Supporter 2014
The two images there of WonderWoman, i like.
Her look in the picture you posted doesn't even remind me of WonderWoman.
A WitchBlade wanna be YES, WonderWoman No.
The armored look for the recent DC characters looks silly.
What would Superman need armor for. It looked pointless.

on krypton they might have needed armor. we don't know. superman doesn't get the suit from ma this time around. he gets it from brainiac's war ship or something like that (i haven't read the issue yet). similar to how MoS superman gets his suit. plus, i like the costume. its a nice little deviation from the old series and it helps when superman is fighting villains way tougher than him. like darkseid or mongul. i personally like the wonderwoman costume that both you and i posted. its just the "classic" look never really gelled with me

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
I think some fans will take new things just fine, as long as its done good.

Good change;

inFAMOUS:
The inFAMOUS series started with Cole, continued with Cole, and ended it with Cole. Cole dies and that's it, he's not gonna come back. So what will they do next? Well obviously, go forward to new characters. Thus we have Deslen, a new guy who's got powers. Only this time, he's actually enjoying his new powers and will do with them what Cole didn't do with them; have a little fun. This is a new thing that fans saw and fans like characters who can have a little fun. So, inFAMOUS second son is now being anticipated happily.

bad change;

DmC:
Now I like DmC and will play it all day long, but even I know this change was for the bad. DMC wasn't a series that really needed to be rebooted, but rather touched on and be made better with story, character, and gameplay. But because of DMC4 bringing in a new character instead of Dante, fans were mad. Now all would've been forgiven if Nero was actually a good character, but Capcom got complaints of Nero being a whining guy who kept crying and wasn't as cool as Dante. So Capcom decided that it needed a new image; rebooting. So now there's Dante with black hair and middle fingers away.

This was not a good change. It was a reboot, but it was also a big change from the over the top anime feel of DMC3 and DMC4.

Top Bottom