• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

DMC4 gone hi-tech cheesy rather than gothic dark?

ophion07

hey everyone, im new to this forum, but i used to be (and still somewat am) a DMC freak.
I liked the first DMC because it had such a gothic feel to it which was pleasantly disturbing, not to mention that (in my opinion) it had the best DT forms...
DMC2, for the most part, just ****ed me off with the cheesy dialogue and total lack of combos, not to mention a five-dollar storyline...
The DMC3 was an amazing game with a crazy combo system, sickass graphics, appealing storyline, and still managed to really have that gothic thing goin' on. So yeah, I loved it...
DMC4 was... well... a tiny bit of a disappointment. The graphics were awesome, they added a new dimension to the combo system which was good. But the storyline was... a bit gay and pretty corny. The dialogue at times just made me laugh, NOT because it was funny, but because it was so dam cheesy. Another thing which they really removed was the very thing that made the first game goodl: the ATMOSPHERE - the GOTHIC ATMOSPHERE. Like even the weapons in DMC look like **** out of Battlestar Galactica or sumthin'...

Well, thats my humble opinion. Feel free to post watever u think...

Sparda™

You wanna play the most gothic DMC?!

Play Devil May Cry 2. It is the most obscure ambient you'll ever counter, even more than the first game.

Janny

Dines with dementia
I actually found it to be a refreshing change. DMC3 is dark and gritty, and DMC4 introduced color. Although, I thought that the church and Fortuna Castle were rather dark and had a similar DMC3 atmosphere.

I agree with the lines being corny sometimes, but I liked the ambiance. Maybe because I've played way too much DMC3 and I was getting sick of the gray environment...

New DMC Player

If I had one complaint about DMC3 it would be that it was too dark. =/ Other than that it is the best game of the series story wise. But I liked DMC4 graphics. It is a step forward for the new consoles.

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
Nero made DMC corny ;)

Dmc1 is the greatest if you are looking for darkness... 2 is equally as good, but 1 has Mundus for crying out loud ;) 1 all the way!!

Stylish Nereezy

the lone soul reaper
whats up and welcome Ophion...yea i'd like for the disturbing darkness feel to be brought back as well....Capcom got its new batch of fans now its time to get back to their roots

Kiluwastrife

Maybe they just got a bit "over-excited" with the Next Gen Console power...
that's why DMC4 came out quite bright... but still looked nice, don't ya think?

Dante94513

I didn't really mind it, I thought it was just as gothic because of the environment around fortuna city, the castle, order's hearquarters, and even the forrest of ruins gave me that DMC1 gothic feeling, the enemy's return got me into it too. DMC3 was darker, but thats because of the graphics, and wreckage.

NerosDevil

Shall we dance?
Well, I actually found it a change to the usual gloomy castles, deserted streets and tall glooming towers. DMC4 retained the gothic architecture of the others, with a lighter tone. I really enjoyed it in all honesty; it felt alot more ambidiant and relaxing.

yasoukyoku

SAVED!
I completely agree, 4 was "pretty" but lacked any depth in story, actually it felt a little similar to 2's story but with more dialog.

Tony_Redgrave

TimeLord Detective
Yeah I agree with the 1st post. DMC1 was a dark game, with dark places, weird sounds, difficult enemies which had many shapes and a whole Devil Kingdom. It was also a nice story that had revenge, love and many stuff in there. Dante looked like he just teased his enemies to provoke them back then and allow him to get an advantage in battle. In the recent games it seems he feels nothing can be a challenge for him and just does what he wants. (Well he is right, if we take into account that he had to fight enemies who were way below Nero who is way below Dante). In the new games they aimed for cool cut-scenes, graphics, and fanservice. It's not bad to move in that direction but they should remember what made DMC successful in the first place. It was not ONLY the awesome fast-paced gameplay and the cool scenes.

MochaCub

ReadzMangaS
Tony_Redgrave;114261 said:
It was not ONLY the awesome fast-paced gameplay and the cool scenes.

Seriously, Capcom needs to wake up. DMC1's darkness is what reeled me in, along with the gameplay and awesome cinema.

Dammit now I'm in the mood for DMC1.

Dante94513

PorKYkinG;114290 said:
Seriously, Capcom needs to wake up. DMC1's darkness is what reeled me in, along with the gameplay and awesome cinema.

Dammit now I'm in the mood for DMC1.

Part of the atmosphere was in the game when I was going through the water fall tunel as Dante. besides this game is like a new beginning for a new story, so I expected that DMC4 is meant to lighter, otherwise it would be too hardcore. From what I expected for the sequels since Nero and Kyrie's origin are unknown, I feel like DMC5 has many chances to become lot darker. Not to mention there are still twist things to happen with Dante like mundas haunting him in shadows.

NerosDevil

Shall we dance?
^
What you said; there's time to track towards the gothic theme again (I thought it remained anyway) but it felt alot more beautiful and atmosphertic in a good term. The sky usually changed throughout the game. I'd like a mix of DMC1 and DMC4 theme. Nero and Kyrie have alot of potential. Capcom have other plans panned out for Nero and Kyrie probably before DMC4's release.

Ryuuji

Dark slayer
the story in dmc4 wasn't clear becaus capcom wants us to wait for dmc5 to clear out the story about nero

Top Bottom