• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

DMC1 Trish vs DMC3 Dante

DMC1 Trish vs DMC3 Dante

• Trish

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Dante

Votes: 4 57.1%

• Total voters

devil_inside123

The devil in the dark
So considering trishes display of power in her establishing scene how do you thing that would've gone with a dante who was just a few years younger? Do you thing mundus just missed his chance by not sending her sooner to kill a less experienced dante? And if not barehanded what if she had a sword (not sparda)

Morgan

Premium
Xen-Ace 2021
Depends on how durable/fast/strong Dante is in either iteration for her power to mean anything, but that's just Dante competing with himself more than it is Trish competing with either version of him.

DMC1 Dante has the feats of: being impaled by Alastor, then pulling himself up through the sword with an immediate recovery despite copious blood loss; surviving the Ifrit acquisition where he was burned by hellfire, a.k.a. fires burning magnitudes above 2000 degrees Fahrenheit, given that Frosts are "impervious to volcanic fire" but only Ifrit can hurt them; on that note, surviving Frosts in general, whose claws reach "below absolute zero temperature", or negative 459.67 degrees Fahrenheit; similarly, surviving attacks from Nightmare, whose coldness can "freeze magma". So, 1Dante is durable enough to not spontaneously combust at temps a normal human would combust at, and is therefore as impervious to volcanic fire and magmatic heat as his enemies are, can survive having all of his heat energy drained and regains it in seconds in such a gross violation of physics it's pressing charges against him right now, and also survives his worst idea of body piercing ever. In terms of DA flavor text, Alastor grants Dante the ability to move at "lightning speed" (upwards of 220K mph, aka closer to Mach 300 and what NASA would call re-entry speeds).

DMC3 Dante in comparison has: taking multiple impalements from scythes in his introduction and walking around like it was barely an inconvenience; fighting Cerberus right out the gate, then later facing off versus Agni and Rudra simultaneously before he even got his DT; speed feats include slicing bullets in half; even more instant regeneration feats include his hand functioning properly after he punched a sword and split his fist in two; as an equivalency, Vergil recovered instantly from being cut in half by the waist in Mission 20, so Dante is similarly durable. Some of the flavor text for DA attacks feature things like Dante throwing a kick or spinning his sword at "supersonic speeds" (Mach 1), or at minimum he can spin his sword with the Prop Shredder attack at "propeller speeds", which is subsonic or less than 480mph.

1Dante is notably more durable and faster than his 3 iteration, but 3Dante is no slouch. So if the best Trish can do is "impale with sword, shoot some lightning, throw a motorcycle", then... uhhh... she could just ask Nevan how the "shooting lightning" thing went and not even bother. Seriously, Dante in 3 didn't even flinch to a motorcycle exploding directly behind him. It's not like Trish was tossing the older version of him a Super Saiyan Motorcycle in her debut. It still wouldn't hurt if she tried that on his younger self.

But maybe we can get further clarification here. Is Trish going against Pre-Mission 7 Dante, or Post-Mission 7 Dante? Considering even Lady held her own against Trish in the anime for some godawful reason, Trish is not that impressive in terms of power. I'll be generous and say she would fare better versus 3Dante if she won him over emotionally with the "looks like Dead Mom" thing, or if she immediately knows to either decapitate the guy or stab him straight through his actual heart rather than a generic chest impalement. And it'd have to be Pre-Mission 7. While Dante is weaponless and hungover, just to be safe.

devil_inside123

The devil in the dark
Depends on how durable/fast/strong Dante is in either iteration for her power to mean anything, but that's just Dante competing with himself more than it is Trish competing with either version of him.

DMC1 Dante has the feats of: being impaled by Alastor, then pulling himself up through the sword with an immediate recovery despite copious blood loss; surviving the Ifrit acquisition where he was burned by hellfire, a.k.a. fires burning magnitudes above 2000 degrees Fahrenheit, given that Frosts are "impervious to volcanic fire" but only Ifrit can hurt them; on that note, surviving Frosts in general, whose claws reach "below absolute zero temperature", or negative 459.67 degrees Fahrenheit; similarly, surviving attacks from Nightmare, whose coldness can "freeze magma". So, 1Dante is durable enough to not spontaneously combust at temps a normal human would combust at, and is therefore as impervious to volcanic fire and magmatic heat as his enemies are, can survive having all of his heat energy drained and regains it in seconds in such a gross violation of physics it's pressing charges against him right now, and also survives his worst idea of body piercing ever. In terms of DA flavor text, Alastor grants Dante the ability to move at "lightning speed" (upwards of 220K mph, aka closer to Mach 300 and what NASA would call re-entry speeds).

DMC3 Dante in comparison has: taking multiple impalements from scythes in his introduction and walking around like it was barely an inconvenience; fighting Cerberus right out the gate, then later facing off versus Agni and Rudra simultaneously before he even got his DT; speed feats include slicing bullets in half; even more instant regeneration feats include his hand functioning properly after he punched a sword and split his fist in two; as an equivalency, Vergil recovered instantly from being cut in half by the waist in Mission 20, so Dante is similarly durable. Some of the flavor text for DA attacks feature things like Dante throwing a kick or spinning his sword at "supersonic speeds" (Mach 1), or at minimum he can spin his sword with the Prop Shredder attack at "propeller speeds", which is subsonic or less than 480mph.

1Dante is notably more durable and faster than his 3 iteration, but 3Dante is no slouch. So if the best Trish can do is "impale with sword, shoot some lightning, throw a motorcycle", then... uhhh... she could just ask Nevan how the "shooting lightning" thing went and not even bother. Seriously, Dante in 3 didn't even flinch to a motorcycle exploding directly behind him. It's not like Trish was tossing the older version of him a Super Saiyan Motorcycle in her debut. It still wouldn't hurt if she tried that on his younger self.

But maybe we can get further clarification here. Is Trish going against Pre-Mission 7 Dante, or Post-Mission 7 Dante? Considering even Lady held her own against Trish in the anime for some godawful reason, Trish is not that impressive in terms of power. I'll be generous and say she would fare better versus 3Dante if she won him over emotionally with the "looks like Dead Mom" thing, or if she immediately knows to either decapitate the guy or stab him straight through his actual heart rather than a generic chest impalement. And it'd have to be Pre-Mission 7. While Dante is weaponless and hungover, just to be safe.
Well i posed the question because in 1 its shown on 2 occasions she can at least hurt an older dante. Granted both times were by suprise but thats something arkham couldnt even use against a less seasoned and weaker dante. And being shes made by mundus id like to assume he gave her at least power enough to be able to kill him with her lightning if her teaming up with nightmare was ever meant to be a viable solution. Butvfor the sake of argument lets say trish was under the employ of vergil and arkham as a mole for mundus to keep an eye on the brothers and was the one to being the message to dmc3 dante about vergil. Would she be able to kill him there? With the added suprise of vergils name PLUS looking like his mom? Itd be one big happy family reunion lol

Morgan

Premium
Xen-Ace 2021
Well i posed the question because in 1 its shown on 2 occasions she can at least hurt an older dante. Granted both times were by suprise but thats something arkham couldnt even use against a less seasoned and weaker dante. And being shes made by mundus id like to assume he gave her at least power enough to be able to kill him with her lightning if her teaming up with nightmare was ever meant to be a viable solution. Butvfor the sake of argument lets say trish was under the employ of vergil and arkham as a mole for mundus to keep an eye on the brothers and was the one to being the message to dmc3 dante about vergil. Would she be able to kill him there? With the added suprise of vergils name PLUS looking like his mom? Itd be one big happy family reunion lol
I don't read the intro scene with Arkham as him intentionally trying to hurt or maim Dante, he was just setting out a lure by mentioning Vergil and passing himself as an unassuming creepy human. He manages to sweep kick three [weakened] teenagers in succession in M13 so he's got some martial skill but he wasn't about to throw down the gauntlet straight out. We'd have gotten a different game if he were that up front.

If Trish would theoretically be given enough power to kill Dante in 1, why wouldn't she have done it? She sneak-attacked him solo in his own turf and it didn't work, then sneak-attacked him teamed up with Nightmare complete with a home field advantage (Hell boosts the powers of devils) and still couldn't do it. She's just vastly weaker than Dante overall so it reads like Mundus didn't give her enough strength to begin with.

Anyway, I'd still give this one to Dante. Unless Trish has the Yamato in her possession to put him down and doesn't think of stabbing him with his own sword like she did in 1 which would awaken his DT this time, or heavily plays up the angle of looking like Eva instead of Clark Kenting it (older Dante didn't even see the resemblance and still clocked her as a regular minion until she took her glasses off), she wouldn't have a chance. Shock aside, a demon is a demon and a threat is a threat. 3Dante from the manga threatened to put his own twin brother back in a grave instead of being excited he wasn't dead anymore. That man does not care.

And I mean, if we're including Vergil and Arkham with this, even if we assume Trish does manage to kill Dante, how long would she last before Vergil hears about that? He'd fillet her for messing up his plan. He legit killed a Hell Vanguard for less.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
I could see Trish lasting longer in a fight with DMC3 Dante but I don't see her winning. She would last longer playing up the resemblance to Eva but I could see that backfiring on her pretty fast.

A more interesting question is would DMC3 Dante spare her? At first I'd say no because I see him as more callous than his older counterparts. For example, I can't see him respecting Griffin or offering Echidna/Bearial a chance to walk away.

So whether or not this Dante would spare her could be apart of his arc.

Morgan

Premium
Xen-Ace 2021
I could see Trish lasting longer in a fight with DMC3 Dante but I don't see her winning. She would last longer playing up the resemblance to Eva but I could see that backfiring on her pretty fast.

A more interesting question is would DMC3 Dante spare her? At first I'd say no because I see him as more callous than his older counterparts. For example, I can't see him respecting Griffin or offering Echidna/Bearial a chance to walk away.

So whether or not this Dante would spare her could be apart of his arc.
Not likely DMC3 Dante would spare her. When you think about it, he really only cried about Vergil because Vergil had actual blood relation to him and they were the last family the other had after Eva and Sparda died, and before Dante meets Nero. Trish has nothing except her looks. DMC1 Dante was more mellowed out and set in his ways concerning his respect for Nero Angelo and Griffon-- he was at the point where he'd recognize that even full-blooded devils have noble traits and can be reasoned with (and has more respect for his father overall), and that recognition justifies why he even trusts Trish to begin with when he clocked her as a devil on sight and referred to demonkind as "your kind" right to her face. 3Dante doesn't have that. And to be honest the dialogue and development in 3 is too hokey for him to have believably developed into the type of guy willing to spare full-blooded demons or feel bad when their master obliterates them in front of him.

devil_inside123

The devil in the dark
Not likely DMC3 Dante would spare her. When you think about it, he really only cried about Vergil because Vergil had actual blood relation to him and they were the last family the other had after Eva and Sparda died, and before Dante meets Nero. Trish has nothing except her looks. DMC1 Dante was more mellowed out and set in his ways concerning his respect for Nero Angelo and Griffon-- he was at the point where he'd recognize that even full-blooded devils have noble traits and can be reasoned with (and has more respect for his father overall), and that recognition justifies why he even trusts Trish to begin with when he clocked her as a devil on sight and referred to demonkind as "your kind" right to her face. 3Dante doesn't have that. And to be honest the dialogue and development in 3 is too hokey for him to have believably developed into the type of guy willing to spare full-blooded demons or feel bad when their master obliterates them in front of him.
He seemed willing enough to let agni and rudra live if they didnt bother him. He was even going to let them live instead of opting to fininsh them off. I dont think Dante really has any hatred for demons other than mundus and a few shades of it in 1 but other than that he might doubt demons can he good but sees them more as pests to exterminate. Hes just doin his job. Tbh tho i think after trish attacks him her fate is seales unless she pulls something sappy and cries just for him to say "devils never cry"

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
A more interesting question is would DMC3 Dante spare her?

I think he possibly would. He's not a completely stone cold killer in 3. He could have taken the final shot to finish off the fleeing Hell Vanguard, he was tracking the dude perfectly but he let it go once he saw it was running away. Didn't seem hell-bent on killing Cerberus either, he just accepted his surrendering, and you could argue the same for Geryon as well. Was walking away from the defeated and bodiless, now harmless Agni and Rudra without delivering the killing blow.

You can see some of the DMC1 willingness to not outright end his opponents if they stop fighting or cower away, or end up being harmless once defeated. Doesn't strike me as a dude who would go as far as pitying a demon in its death throes though, striking a kind of middle ground with his future DMC1 self. It's only towards the end of 3 that he had developed more of a compassionate, chill side, as you can see him trying to talk Vergil out of the confrontation, whereas before he was going for the fight straight up, starting the bridge that would connect his character to that of his 1 counterpart in that sense. You can see that's where he's going, character wise.

So I think there is a chance 3's Dante would spare Trish, all in all.

Last edited:

Vergil95

Might controls everything, and without strength, y
So considering trishes display of power in her establishing scene how do you thing that would've gone with a dante who was just a few years younger? Do you thing mundus just missed his chance by not sending her sooner to kill a less experienced dante? And if not barehanded what if she had a sword (not sparda)
In the dmc 5 novel, it is stated by mundus itself that if vergil was at full power (not weakened by arkham and dante battle before) during they're battle in hell, mundus would have Lost the battle against vergil, considering that mundus say he only restored half of his power by dmc 3

so dmc 3 dante at the end of the game is at the same level as dmc 3 mundus whit half of his power restored, trish is not really that powerful he can only take down lesser demon he never manage to defeat a large demon alone, in the anime both trish and Lady together were not even able to deliver a single scratch on Abigail while dante manage to defeat him by just tapping into his devil trigger for one second lol

So even if Trish would have happeared in dmc 3, dante would have easy defeated her

And by the way mundus didn't send trish before because mundus was still not fully restored, he only created trish some time before dmc 1, he patiently wayted for his power and his army to grow and than lured dante to mallet Island
It is all stated in the dmc 5 novel, he only watched the sons of sparda from afar and decided to step in only when he saw that vergil was weakened after his battle whit arkham and dante, it was the perfect opportunity to defeat and subdue vergil

Morgan

Premium
Xen-Ace 2021
He seemed willing enough to let agni and rudra live if they didnt bother him. He was even going to let them live instead of opting to fininsh them off. I dont think Dante really has any hatred for demons other than mundus and a few shades of it in 1 but other than that he might doubt demons can he good but sees them more as pests to exterminate. Hes just doin his job. Tbh tho i think after trish attacks him her fate is seales unless she pulls something sappy and cries just for him to say "devils never cry"
Yeah, but that interaction didn't exactly go beyond "You two are annoying, STFU, I have to go through this door", "No, we can't let you do that, we're guarding this door" "Okay" cue fight. Was anything really stopping him from just sidestepping them and going through the door anyway except how the game is designed? A&R didn't have anything special blocking it except themselves and Dante entreated them because the game has a "boss battle every mission" quota. He didn't compliment any positive traits of theirs in the least, not even when they sold their allegiance off to him and presented themselves as useful. Other than that, he's playing the part of a disaffected teen. Compare that to his line about "guts and honor" to Nero Angelo and calling Griffon "noble". They didn't have to offer or advertise themselves to him for him to say that.

Sure, it's not about hatred for demons-- except for...y'know, the ones he said he'd outright killed in the hopes that "eventually I should hit the jackpot sooner or later", a.k.a. until he found the one that ordered the hit on his mom. Anyway the premise to this is "Trish shows up to kill DMC3 Dante, what does he do", in which case he deals with it like literally any other demon trying to straight up murder him and he kills them first, and then if they have a sense of honor or a lack of shame they swear themselves to him in weapon form if they don't die or self-destruct. I mean, no one goes out of their way to step on each ant hill they look at, but if they get bitten by one, that ant is getting its 3mm sh*t pushed in.

Top Bottom