• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

DMC VS DmC - Being a fan... (Long top post)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Asmodaius

Awesome post, Meg.

True, the word "fan" and the many forms of it have many meanings, but all in all, they stand for the same things. There are the casuals, the hardcore and the extremists... and though we do not all agree with one another or understand one another, we are all just people who share a passion. No one is better than the others. There should be room for all of us... Well, except for the crazies, they should just get a room for themselves and then have the door locked and barricaded... ;P

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
To me, I think some people only call themselves fans. Like how some kings self-proclaim their title. I try to stay away from general terms like "fans" and go with slightly more specific terms like "supporter", "skeptic", and "hater".

Supporters are the kinds of people who support what they like/think they will like, they like what they see and they want more of it, and there's nothing wrong with that. They also tend to be disappointed if things do not meet their expectations, though. Or perhaps that's just me, as I'm a supporter.

Skeptics feel cautious about new things, preferring to stay in reach of the old things that brought them to the series/book/movie. They ARE willing to try new things, but it takes convincing. Still, most generally say that they'll at least give what they're skeptical about a shot.

Haters are just that. They hate anything even remotely different from what they're used to and lash out at anything that isn't what they like. The typical "fanboy" by my definition of the word, which is someone who is an extremist in their pleasure and won't take anything but what they perceive as the very best.

So, I hope my input helped. That was a rather long post for someone like me. o_O I've never posted a response that big before.

wallenb

Humanoid Typhoon
Im a fan of a lot of things. It depends on what mood i'm in to like something more than something else i like, but it never goes down in my "like list" it just has it's place and time. I've got tons of games because i'm a fan of video games. There are some games i like more than others but i can still say i'm a fan of the lesser game because well, i can! I like NT, i like salt products, i like whatever floats my boat.
I'm never a fanboy of anything tho because i've no time to obsess over things anymore, well i guess i dont take time anymore, or maybe my fanboy obsession should be ps3 and 60'' tv's played as loud as possible with stimulants riding shotgun next to me for hours.

Meg

Skeptics feel cautious about new things, preferring to stay in reach of the old things that brought them to the series/book/movie. They ARE willing to try new things, but it takes convincing. Still, most generally say that they'll at least give what they're skeptical about a shot.

Wrong.

Or at least in my case it is. In fact I find it annoying that members here have been given labels like that.

Anyway, I have nothing against change so long as it's good change. To me the new DmC looks like a train wreck made by a train wreck developer. I'm skeptical it will be any good. If they rebooted DMC but did it in a way that looked cool then I would be excited for it.

Its not that I don't like change. I just want the change to be good.

Vergil'sBitch

I am Nero's Mom & Obsessed fan girl
Premium
Meg: Ms. Perri was on Strictly come dancing in the UK on sunday. (If you want to see it, it's on the bbc iplayer (strictly come dancing results) that's if you can access it)

I am a Vergil fan-girl/fantic... therefore, I take an interest in him, buy items which have him on them.

I'm just wondering, how may DMC fans, supporters...whatever bought Shin Megami Tensei's Devil Call and Viewtiful Joe games, JUST because Dante was it it?

Although, if you don't like labels, what are you if you aren't a DMC fan?

What I've hated about this new game is the fact that some fans have turned against each other.
Some fans don't want Vergil brought back to the series. Some fans hated Nero.
No game is perfect, not even DMC (old or new).
As for the new game, I'm a little doubtful, yet more accepting. My inital reaction was OMG! WTF?! but now, i can say I've mellowed a little.

berto

I Saw the Devil
Same here, actually, I have every game that features Dante in any way.

Its odd to see how this game has pitted the fans against each other over things big and small. Would you like to know why this game is causing all this commotion? It's because this game pretty much signals the end of the original franchise; it's over and we didn't even see it comming. To be honest I've been waiting for a sequel that felt more like the original DMC, this one most definitly doesn't feel like the original did but nether did any of the others nor did Bayonetta, thogh she came the closest in terms of style. Actually, I think it was Shinji Mikami that gave DMC alot of what's missing from it's sequels.

wallenb

Humanoid Typhoon
Same here, actually, I have every game that features Dante in any way.

Its odd to see how this game has pitted the fans against each other over things big and small. Would you like to know why this game is causing all this commotion? It's because this game pretty much signals the end of the original franchise; it's over and we didn't even see it comming. To be honest I've been waiting for a sequel that felt more like the original DMC, this one most definitly doesn't feel like the original did but nether did any of the others nor did Bayonetta, thogh she came the closest in terms of style. Actually, I think it was Shinji Mikami that gave DMC alot of what's missing from it's sequels.
I think Bayonetta had the same dialog as DMC but thats as far as it goes for me. DMC 1 was a horror hack and slash and part of the horror was just trying to stay alive in every battle. The mood has changed over the years and so has how serious it was. Thats one reason why i hope DmC will be good because it has a more serious tones and a lot more depth in the world, which basically makes anyplace your at a possible place to be dragged into limbo. The way the buildings dont just change into a demonic world, the buildings are torn and broken into place very violently. i think its rather awesome looking

lorddemolatron

I think im sort of dimensional traveller lol
Premium
I am propably an Fangirl of three Franchises wich Includes DMC, but Im think that sometimes Fanatism also shows when are rage wars where some fans call that This thing in game sucks or other thing.

veg-G

Mmm-hmm.....so what were we talking about again?
i like the previous dmc franchise. so i will be considered a hypocrite if i don't like NT's version of dmc. and DmC's version of cool is more cheesy and cliche than the japanese dork dante. i don't know how many times i cringed with the "don't f#ck with a god" quote from the latest DmC trailer.

wallenb

Humanoid Typhoon
i like the previous dmc franchise. so i will be considered a hypocrite if i don't like NT's version of dmc. and DmC's version of cool is more cheesy and cliche than the japanese dork dante. i don't know how many times i cringed with the "don't f#ck with a god" quote from the latest DmC trailer.
Why would you be considered a hypocrite? You can like whatever you want! I agree with you in the past, Dante has become more of a pest than a BA character like he was in the first dmc and i think the new Dante is going to be more like the first dmc dante because of its more mature tone. And i hope it is M rated for a reason, bring on the cursing and blood!

veg-G

Mmm-hmm.....so what were we talking about again?
i like dmc 1.....and dmc 3 made it better (vergil is not the reason why i liked it either). storyline wise i meant........although gameplay has been almost the same in each game with new tweaks here and there. storyline was what kept me interested...otherwise i would've moved away from the franchise like i do to so many.
the fact that i actually came to respect and acknowledge a game character like dante is very rare. i wanted a good ending to the series. but no.....this reboot disappointed me. dmc 4 also disappoint me.

but whatever.......it doesn't matter. at least i get to play dante in marvel vs capcom 3.....that kept me in good spirits for now.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
I think I'm more of a casual to medium dmc fan because I'm more in love with what the series could rather than what they have given me so far as I think it's either ok(dmc1,2, light novels) or crap(4,anime) in terms of story with 3 being the only great one to me. so I guess that's why it's easier for to accept the reboot because it has the potential to be a good fresh start. That doesn't mean I don't have problems with it as I do and it does have potential to be crap.

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
I'm going to get flamed for this, but DMC3 was actually my least favorite DMC. The enemies and bosses lose their flavor very quickly, and the combat is what keeps me playing in these games, so there's a bit of a problem there.

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
Flaming?
No one will flame you for liking DMC2...lol
Although, I would like to know your reasons for liking it.

Well, it's got the most enemy variety and the most boss variety. Sure the combat is a little slow, but it was a great way to ease myself into the series. I might be a bit biased I admit because it was my first game, but it was also the only game that pulled off having two separate characters with two separate stories as well, and for that I love it too.

Well, it's got the most enemy variety and the most boss variety. Sure the combat is a little slow, but it was a great way to ease myself into the series. I might be a bit biased I admit because it was my first game, but it was also the only game that pulled off having two separate characters with two separate stories as well, and for that I love it too.
Fair enough, but Dante is almost speechless in this one, that's what bothers me most in DMC2, everything else is passable and even better like you said.
Combat is a bit repetitive but if they added a couple more combos, I wouldn't mind slow combat at all.

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
Fair enough, but Dante is almost speechless in this one, that's what bother me most in DMC2, everything else is passable and even better like you said.
Combat is a bit repetitive but if they added a couple more combos, I wouldn't mind slow combat at all.

Actually, I liked this version of Dante. He was mature, unlike the continuity breaking DMC4 Dante and the slightly annoying DMC3 one. And besides, he's got my favorite DMC line of all time. "King? Yeah. Here's your crown."

I did like the combos in this game, actually. Using the directional pad at different parts of the combo to do different moves was cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom