• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

DmC Theories

kenjiharimaCU

Street Fighter Fan
Faust;292229 said:
Capcom wanted NT to do w/e the hell they want with the game, they want the shocking change in Dante. I have a feeling it's to make people want to know why Dante is like that even though players are apalled at his new look. Reverse psychology as some have pointed out in other threads.

Well like I said many times. They have to have a very convincing story. If it sells and it's convincing I'll buy the game, though if it bombs and didn't work, hoping Capcom will never again westernized another game franchise. Most especially popular ones.

Richtofen

Nein, not ze puppies!
Premium
I've heard NT creates great stories, but I agree with you. I hope it's convicing because I'm interested in how they will put DmC together as a whole. I could care less about how Dante looked anyways, he seems like the normal, rebel teenager to me. :lol:

thesadtruth

Vampi;291692 said:
I just came up with a theory, so hear me out on this...

Remember that scene in the trailer where you get a close-up of Dante's eye and for a fraction of a second see him with white hair? Well...

I'm thinking...since Tameem keeps saying this game is the beginning and end what Dante will become. I'm thinking they'll go through the whole series. Cause in Enslaved they go through Chapters that takes place days or weeks after as well as Heavenly Sword. So i'm thinking in the Dino game is the beginning, then DMC 3, then DMC 1 etc until DMC 2 (cause when Dino says "My name is Dante it sounds more serious like DMC 2 Dante)

so i think it'll take place across all the games, like scenes we didn't see in the original games or sumthing

I have a feeling as well that they'll take sum parts of the DMC 1 novel, mostly for Ebony and Ivory. I think the ones Dino is holding are prototypes.

Cause in the DMC 1 novel, Dante is fighting without E&I and he keeps breaking the guns that gunsmith gives him until she creates E&I for him
So that's why they're kinda slow in the trailer. They can't match the speed of Dante's quickness.

So i think Vergil will make an apperance in only the DMC 3 part only and maybe the DMC 1 part. So they don't totally have to mess up the canon. I think by Reboot they mean style and way the story is told.They keep spouting that word and it could mean anything Since i think Capcom wants a cohesive DMC story from now on and deal with DMC 2.

You just have to look at similar aspects of Ninja Theory's past games.

Even Kamiya kinda gave a hint on his Twitter blog (and yes i know he's not on the DmC project but he's doing sumthing with Capcom and he knows sumthing that is shocking). He said "That Dante always changed in every iteration of the series"

So this is a good way to see every facet of Dante and what he'll finally become in the end

What do you guys think?

Hi!
I have been following the different theories and opinions on other boards and here as well,but after reading your theory yesterday I just had to register and comment.

Anything is possible as we are still in the dark with this game,but I think it has the most possibilities right now.It would give Capcom the chance to start from new and settle the timeline and storyline once and for all(something we have wanted for a long time)and at the sime time introduce new elements to enhance the story and deepen the characters.
I also agree with you about the guns not being Ebony and Ivory.From what I could appreciate on the trailer,they looked like revolvers and not pistols,but I could be mistaken.The novels have a lot of material to work with and introduce to the game without trashing the canon,and Dante acquiring his pistols would be wonderful to see.
Having the game focus on the whole story arch has a lot of more interesting possibilities,in my opinion,then just going for another precquel and it would bring sense into Capcom's and NT's ambiguity about it being a reboot/precquel/origin story.
Thank you for giving me back part of the interest I had lost in the series,Vampi.

moseslmpg

thesadtruth;292242 said:
Thank you for giving me back part of the interest I had lost in the series,Vampi.
Seeing things like this bring tears of joy to my cold, tactless heart. There are few things more wondrous than seeing a fan re-inspired and revivified, much less by the work of another fan. It really puts things into perspective, and lets us crusty old curmudgeons remember what it's all about. I'm glad I got to see it firsthand, and I thank you for registering just to express such sincere gratitude.

Now, I'm off to find a field of daisies to frolic in and indulge my newfound romanticism before it wears off, alas.

Vampi

thesadtruth;292242 said:
Hi!
I have been following the different theories and opinions on other boards and here as well,but after reading your theory yesterday I just had to register and comment.

Anything is possible as we are still in the dark with this game,but I think it has the most possibilities right now.It would give Capcom the chance to start from new and settle the timeline and storyline once and for all(something we have wanted for a long time)and at the sime time introduce new elements to enhance the story and deepen the characters.
I also agree with you about the guns not being Ebony and Ivory.From what I could appreciate on the trailer,they looked like revolvers and not pistols,but I could be mistaken.The novels have a lot of material to work with and introduce to the game without trashing the canon,and Dante acquiring his pistols would be wonderful to see.
Having the game focus on the whole story arch has a lot of more interesting possibilities,in my opinion,then just going for another precquel and it would bring sense into Capcom's and NT's ambiguity about it being a reboot/precquel/origin story.

Wow! I don't know what to say. Its such an honor, coming from another DMC fan, to make them take a second glance at a DMC game we're not 100% sure about. This has got to be one of the most nicest, and sweetest post ever given to me. And i thank you for it. Hopefully this is what Ninja Theory and Capcom are cooking up, time will only tell. But again,thank you for the compliment and i'm glad you're of the the few that grew inspired from it and understood it. :)

But the clues were there and what the developers say as well. DMC 1 dealt with Dante's revenge for his mother's death and his brother's corruption. DMC 3 made Dante realized his destiny, DMC 4 Dante realized he was no longer alone in the world and had family once again (Nero) after Vergil/Nelo Angelo's death from DMC 1 and DMC 2 is Dante embracing Sparda's legend and Dante trying to find out more about his father's legend and stuff. So i just think NT is trying to wrap it into one cohesive storyline in one game. Besides, what better way to compliment the 10th Anniversary of DMC then have a kinda retrospective look back at all of them (and also to see sum of the levels and characters from the PS2 games in PS3 era graphics) ;)

thesadtruth

kenjiharimaCU;292216 said:
Doesn't really mater if it's non canon or not, but it deals with the pre-devil may cry happenings. Anyways bottomline it's gonna be rectoned, due to the fact that it's on a western team and they'll decide the story...oh well....

Did I say what the new Dante is using it's Sparda? I said it's similar to Sparda-Force Edge. As for twins born in black hair blond mother and white haired father? Does not compute, his hair is possibly dyed in theory seeing there is a white patch which Alex Jones stated. But truly and originally in the Japanese capcom art books and concepts such Dante and Vergil are born with white hair and me seeing those books first. So who would I believe more? Of course the Japanese creators.

http://doesnotcompute.org/devil-may-cry-dmc/

But alas now it's in the hands of the west, they can pretty much do anything. So literally DMC3 that served as a prequel is rectoned, rebooted and we will go for this one. It needs to be convincing though.

Also for Negeshi aka Krauser II. It's also DMC(Detroit Metal City). If a man can change so much then Negishi is your man for comparison example on this new Dante.

Sorry for posting right after my first one,but I wanted to avoid creating a wall of text.

I don't see that much non-canon material in the novel except the events related to Gilver/Vergil.The rest could perfectly sill be canon as it doesn't contradict anything stated after DMC3,as much as I remember.

Regarding the shifting weapon,it could be a completly new weapon,so NT indulges their multiuse weapon fetish or it could be a sealed and disguised Rebellion.It would tie with the novel and give them the excuse to use their favorite type of sword.

As for the "hair problem": arent't there two scenes in the manga where we see the twins as children?One is Dante having a nightmare about Eva's death when he is hiding.The other one is Vergil having a flashback/halucination/vision about himself that same night in the cementery,when he is stabbed with Yamato and devil-triggers for the first time.Both scenes show the kids with white hair.

Wouldn't a disguising spell that altered Dante's appearance so he had a better chance at hiding and surviving make a more canon universe friendly excuse for the image change?
I really can't stomach the idea of the twins being born with black hair and having it change.I can't stomach even less the whole hair dye theory...it seems so antyclimatic to me.
....and I still wrote a wall of text.Sorry.

EDIT: While writing my testament,I didn't read Vampi's answer.To avoid another wall,I will answer to you here,if it' alright with you?
Thanks to you Vampi,it really helped to sooth my disappointment.

kenjiharimaCU

Street Fighter Fan
I don't see that much non-canon material in the novel except the events related to Gilver/Vergil.The rest could perfectly sill be canon as it doesn't contradict anything stated after DMC3,as much as I remember.

Yes that's a fact. The the only thing that contradicts DMC3 storyline when Gilver appeared and Tony fought, everything else fits in the first novel to game story.

Regarding the shifting weapon,it could be a completly new weapon,so NT indulges their multiuse weapon fetish or it could be a sealed and disguised Rebellion.It would tie with the novel and give them the excuse to use their favorite type of sword.

It better be a new weapon since DMC is not just a hack and slash game, Dante uses multi weapons and not an all purpose weapon in one.

moseslmpg

kenjiharimaCU;292379 said:

Yes that's a fact. The the only thing that contradicts DMC3 storyline when Gilver appeared and Tony fought, everything else fits in the first novel to game story.
No, there are other things that conflict, I just can't recall all of them. For one thing, in the novel Dante has forgotten his identity, while he clearly knows who he is in DMC3. That pretty much impeaches the entire novel right there. Some elements could be borrowed, but they are optional and should not be assumed.

777th post.

kenjiharimaCU

Street Fighter Fan
moseslmpg;292382 said:
No, there are other things that conflict, I just can't recall all of them. For one thing, in the novel Dante has forgotten his identity, while he clearly knows who he is in DMC3. That pretty much impeaches the entire novel right there. Some elements could be borrowed, but they are optional and should not be assumed.

777th post.

The forgotten identity is too minor and is always plot device on most stories.

True though like Masahiko Nakihara's Street Fighter Manga's stories like Evil Ryu is a big influence on Capcom's part. Hopping elements from the first novel will be borrowed and put into the game, since origins of Devil May Cry are there and remember it was worked with Kamiya.

Other theory

Unless Dante in his teens is fused with a drug addict accidentally like in the anime Usagi-chan de Cue!!, where there are 2 persona's in one Dante.

Vampi

It was more like a suppressed memory then a forgotten one in the DMC 1 novel. And also it wasn't minor since it was the focal point in the book.

And having two Dante's in one body sounds dumb. I hope they don't go the way of stupid manga/anime cliche tropes.

moseslmpg

Dante did not lose his identity in between DMC3 and DMC1. He had no reason to, and he opened up his shop in DMC3. Just drop it, alright. The novels are not canonical.

thesadtruth

moseslmpg;292382 said:
777th post.

Moses,I hope you have already recovered from that bothersom case of romanticism ^_^

The novels are definitly not canon,I agree,but after regaining some interest in this thing,I just need to stick to what's familiar in the series to keep hoping there's something for me in this game.
The canon has been changed before;the events in the novel could be recycled to lead not into Dante opening his shop for the first time in the original DMC,but opening it for the first time in DMC3.After all they changed the timeline as well.

KenjiharimaCU,I agree with Vampi about that "two Dantes" theory.Everything is possible,but it doesn't seem very likely.

veg-G

Mmm-hmm.....so what were we talking about again?
Faust;291640 said:
There was an article about Dante's hair being black...Tameen wanted to show it grow whiter as his demonic blood 'matured'. As for the swords and guns...I think Dante already has Ebony&Ivory, it's just Rebellion he doesn't have at this point.

the guns in the trailer don't look or shoot like ebony and ivory.

tameen's idea is....well strange. O_.

i'd expected something else.
i don't know why people like this concept....unless sparda and eva had recessive black hair genes then i would understand.

Richtofen

Nein, not ze puppies!
Premium
Well, I like the change so far...it just depends on the storyline and everything else in it that will make it or break it for me. :lol:

moseslmpg

Alex from CU said:
It's going to be in media res - that's all the rage these days. Combat tutorial will feed into "What is your name?" and the interrogation becomes the framing device.

From the press release, I'd assume we'll transition to the beginning with "hey your mother's killer is in town and by the way this is Vergil" with Dante going on a rampage trying to track the guy down. Depending on how much of the existing fiction they want to utilise, this may or may not lead to looking for an informant called Enzo who'll provide a nice exposition dump.

The hunt provides conflict with The Man (since to Antoniades this is about The Man, that's why there're all the punk nods) and the situations Dante finds himself in gradually increase in intensity until he has almost caught this guy but oh wait he's dead with the implication Vergil beat me to it and here's The Man come to arrest me for it. Transition into a "real" version of the tutorial fight.

Amulet McGuffins may or may not come up! Early hints of devil trigger causing hair to turn white or white hair being the norm for triggered Dante.

All throughout there will be lazy hints that "hey maybe this guy's crazy what do you think about that huh". This question will never be openly addressed - because the "ending" is Vergil storming one of The Man's facilities, our interrogator revealing this and Dante breaking out to find him (with a big trigger burst; hair is now stuck white). Boom, 5 hour Ninja Theory game. Done.

You then have unresolved plot threads and a useful sequel hook if the game sells well (so it's now a full reboot) or a way to slap it to the front of the existing continuity as a lead in for DMC3. If you don't think it fits neatly with pre-existing canon, well, that's because this game's story isn't going to. It will re-imagine things it can use, throw a lot of others out (it'll maybe use names from the novels or manga but it will make them functionally non-canon) and generally mangle your current ideas regarding what the universe's history looks like. And that's kind of the point.
This right here is the most plausible, best prediction for the game I have seen. Fro what we got in the trailer, I'd say this is the most likely scenario for sure. What do you guys think?

Lucifer(the weapon)

I think we should all give it a try, i mean so what if the new Dante isnt the same as the previous, so what if he doesnt have any of the same weapons as previous iterations, it may (even though possibly entirely unrelated) turn out to be an incredible game.
P-S
I personally reckon that this is a sort of spin-off and they will resume the plot later, i mean seriously they have kept with the plot for the past 4 games, so we should all have faith in the developers.
P-SS
If it fails i will cry lol.

moseslmpg

Lucifer(the weapon);292715 said:
I think we should all give it a try, i mean so what if the new Dante isnt the same as the previous, so what if he doesnt have any of the same weapons as previous iterations, it may (even though possibly entirely unrelated) turn out to be an incredible game.
Irrelevant, because without those things it won't be a DMC game. Might as well play one of the other, most likely much better action games out by then.
P-S
I personally reckon that this is a sort of spin-off and they will resume the plot later, i mean seriously they have kept with the plot for the past 4 games, so we should all have faith in the developers.
P-SS
If it fails i will cry lol.
It being a spinoff is doubtful. DMC4 was as close to spinoff as we got. Spinoffs usually involve regular characters on adventures not related to the main storyline (DMC4, DMC Anime, DMC2 sort of). This is more likely a reboot.

And we have no reason to have faith in Capcom or NT. Capcom has screwed us in the past and their level of fail increases every day, and NT only has 2 notable games under its belt, neither of which look promising with respect to the DMC series.

Lucifer(the weapon)

moseslmpg;292731 said:
Irrelevant, because without those things it won't be a DMC game. Might as well play one of the other, most likely much better action games out by then.
It being a spinoff is doubtful. DMC4 was as close to spinoff as we got. Spinoffs usually involve regular characters on adventures not related to the main storyline (DMC4, DMC Anime, DMC2 sort of). This is more likely a reboot.

And we have no reason to have faith in Capcom or NT. Capcom has screwed us in the past and their level of fail increases every day, and NT only has 2 notable games under its belt, neither of which look promising with respect to the DMC series.

Fair nuff xL

Top Bottom