• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

DmC Theories

Chibi Dante

Keepin' it Stylish!
Premium
Dante is not american.
Dante is a freelance underground mercenary in modern America. He even acts American. What does that tell you? >_> Like Asmo said, even the booklet tells you he's American. Btw wallenb, you're wrong...DMC was supposed to be Japaneesy, not Western-like.

CoolDemon

X will never be Y
Dante is a freelance underground mercenary in modern America. He even acts American. What does that tell you? >_> Like Asmo said, even the booklet tells you he's American. Btw wallenb, you're wrong...DMC was supposed to be Japaneesy, not Western-like.
What makes you say it's in America? Acting american and being american is to different things.

Tony_Redgrave

TimeLord Detective
He supposedly 'lives in modern America' . But it still looks like it's about a century ago..:p And he wasn't always living there. But there isn't any difference no matter where he's from. What if he was Spanish? He still is half-devil:p

CoolDemon

X will never be Y
He supposedly 'lives in modern America' . But it still looks like it's about a century ago..:p And he wasn't always living there. But there isn't any difference no matter where he's from. What if he was Spanish? He still is half-devil:p
But his nationality is NOTHING atm. And we can only ask Hideki Kamiya what his nationality is, because he created Dante. And it matters where he is from because it's messed up when people like Ninja theory label him british with the flag on jacket and british hooligan look.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tduPgFLy_dE
at 0:55 in that video on the left of walls of buildings a flag pole is hanging (looks like Danish flag). So the place is Denmark lol?

1:06 Better colours of the flag

Kammosjuttu

Some people have stated that some DMC booklet has said Dante to be American. I don't know, though. To me it makes no difference from where he is.
But people shouldn't flip out because of the flag on his sleeve; many use flags in their clothes and it has nothing to do with their nationality. Besides, British flag is one of the flags I've seen most on people's clothes or accessories and many of them don't even care for the country, but just think the design of the flag is cool.

Asmodaius

But his nationality is NOTHING atm. And we can only ask Hideki Kamiya what his nationality is, because he created Dante. And it matters where he is from because it's messed up when people like Ninja theory label him british with the flag on jacket and british hooligan look.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tduPgFLy_dE
at 0:55 in that video on the left of walls of buildings a flag pole is hanging (looks like Danish flag). So the place is Denmark lol?

1:06 Better colours of the flag

I'm from Denmark, and yes, that does indeed look like the Danish flag, but not quite.

dmcflag.png
Dannebrog.jpg

The Danish flag ALWAYS has a white cross on it, the vertical line being 1/3 up along the horizontal line, while the flag in the trailer has the white lines meet at half. It's a small difference, but enough for it NOT to be the Danish flag. Also, it looks like the flag in the trailer has a white square outline.

However, though the British flag on his jacket doesn't make Dante British! If you wore a British flag on your clothes, would that turn you British? No, it wouldn't. The flag is merely a pointer at Ninja Theory being a British company, nothing more, nothing else. Stop reading too much into it.

As said, it was mentioned in the Devil May Cry (the very first game) booklet that Dante is American, so Hideki Kamiya has already more or less confirmed Dante's nationality.

Kammosjuttu

That flag in the DmC trailer also has a crest in the middle of the cross shape; definitely not something the Danish flag has.

CoolDemon

X will never be Y
Ok, Dante is american. Could you provide a picture of that booklet please?

Also it's true your not british just because you wear a cloth with british flag. However:

DmC Dante looks how a british teenager would be. And the fact that he has british flag on jacket is enough to make fans angry. Why? Because then we might see a future Dante wearing a cloth with a australian flag, or Dante with a cloth with american flag.

And if there is someone's country that should be paid a tribute to it's Hideki Kamiyas. He is the one who created DMC. Ninja theory is just taking over a project that other people made successful.

And why didn't they put a flag on Enslaved characters? or Heavenly sword?

DeamonslayeR

The one true son of Sparda
Ok, Dante is american. Could you provide a picture of that booklet please?

Also it's true your not british just because you wear a cloth with british flag. However:

DmC Dante looks how a british teenager would be. And the fact that he has british flag on jacket is enough to make fans angry. Why? Because then we might see a future Dante wearing a cloth with a australian flag, or Dante with a cloth with american flag.

And if there is someone's country that should be paid a tribute to it's Hideki Kamiyas. He is the one who created DMC. Ninja theory is just taking over a project that other people made successful.

And why didn't they put a flag on Enslaved characters? or Heavenly sword?
Yeah i do believe that the flag was a bit to much they shouldnt have done that.

Kammosjuttu

I don't think Dante looks any more British than a child from some other country. Why, he could pass easily as a Finn, too, which would make him fellow citizen with me. Saying they have made him look like a Brit is exaggerating.

CoolDemon

X will never be Y
I don't think Dante looks any more British than a child from some other country. Why, he could pass easily as a Finn, too, which would make him fellow citizen with me. Saying they have made him look like a Brit is exaggerating.
Bottom line he comes more off as british than not british:
1) "Street brawler" (Tameem's quote) : British fotball hooligans and youths rioting
2) The flag
3) And t he whole look.

But my point is that the british flag on jacket is not cool at all. If you find that acceptable then it will make games a arena for advertisements.

Example We could see DmC's dante with Nike shoes. etc

And since Ninja theory is not the creator, it's very rude to do something like that with the flag. Then again they have done so much (Tameem looking line Dante etc).

But i won't accept it. If Ninja theory likes to do that - it's fine by me. But DMC series is not a game that Ninja theory owns. Capcom has the rights. Ninja theory if you want to put a flag on a main character, go do it on your own games.

Asmodaius

CoolDemon, why do you persist in ignoring the simple facts?

The reason Dante wears the flag is because Ninja Theory is British! Plain and simple. So why would he ever wear a different flag? It's not like NT would suddenly change nationality as well.

And to say that Dante looks like a British teenager is a generalization. British teenagers aren't looking in one particular way and there are teenagers from all over the world who looks like that. He could might as well have been Danish, German, American etc etc.

Hideki Kamiya might have created DMC, but he doesn't own it. And he has nothing to do with this DmC. So no, they shouldn't do anything to make some sort of tribute for him. Why should they? They didn't in the past DMC's, not even in the first one which he was actually part of making.

You can like the flag or not, but that's your opinion. Nothing more, nothing less.
However, it does seem like you are trying to come up with excuses for bashing this game.

wallenb

Humanoid Typhoon
Dante is not american. And DMC was never supposed to be westernized.
Well are you telling me its a japanese looking game? dmc 3 is the closest i could think of it being related to japanese, But everything else screams big time hollywood hit.
Dante was a character that was going to be featured in Resident Evil game. And if you think RE isnt westernized than i dont think you'll get why DMC is westernized. As for Dante, he never appeared in RE, but his concept design was kept and made into DMC.
Even the way Dante talks is very "american" and that goes for the immediate cast as well.

when i said he was american, i was reffering to his speech, you are right about dmc's world being very fictional.

dvlsnvrcry423

well supposedly, the new "Dante" is Dante from a "parallel universe" ...yeah, cuz that makes total and complete sense

Top Bottom