• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

DmC- So much cussing

Nessy

It's part of the whole realism thing that has been hitting games, kinda following suit from the realistic twist the new batman films have taken to their comic counterparts.

Anyone see the new Tomb Raider stuff at E3? Way darker and more realistic than it used to be. I can see many games going this way.

What concerns me most is that the recent DMC games and the recent Tomb Raider games have both been met with positive feedback. I don't like fixing stuff that isn't broken.

PS As a 22 year old, I would say I curse more now than I did at the age of 16. In normal conversation with friends only really though.

McdD

Ignorant and closeminded - That's me :D
If i met someone who's 20+ and curses alot whenhe talks i would think "This guy talks like a kid". As in immature speech.

V

Oldschool DMC fan
I'm 21 and curse all the time. It's nothing to do with immaturity or a lacking vocabulary. They just help to elevate a statement, add a lot more punch to what you're saying.

Yeah but only if you don't do it all the time. It's one of those things that punches best if someone isn't expecting it. If they are, it's normal, mundane, predictable. Like people who swear in every sentence - you no longer get a punch from their cussing because you know it's not being used for emphasis, it's just some kind of habit.

Which is why it was used in this trailer, I feel - Dante has never sworn before so it had a punch to those watching it. If Dante had always done it, and always will do it thereafter, it will only be mundane.

Vergil'sBitch

I am Nero's Mom & Obsessed fan girl
Premium
Isn't that kind of racist? There are tons of Japanese games with lots of cursing.

Strong accusation. I am many things, but i am DEFINITELY NOT racist. :mad:

By swearing in Japanese games, I meant in the DMC series. This is what i meant and READ CAREFULLY before accusing me of being RACIST or anything else... IT TOOK A WESTERN DEVELOPER TO ADD IT INTO THE GAME IN A LARGER CONTEXT!

Dante47

Strong accusation. I am many things, but i am DEFINITELY NOT racist. :mad:

By swearing in Japanese games, I meant in the DMC series. This is what i meant and READ CAREFULLY before accusing me of being RACIST or anything else... IT TOOK A WESTERN DEVELOPER TO ADD IT INTO THE GAME IN A LARGER CONTEXT!
I didn't say you were racist. I said that it was kind of racist to assume only western studios add cursing to video games.
I'll requote what you said.
And i agree with that, but it takes a western company to do add it though.
You said it takes a western company to add cursing. You did not specify at all that you referring to just the Devil May Cry series.
And, it still could be taken as a racist comment even if you were just referring to Devil May Cry since you said only a western studio would add cursing. As I've said, I'm not saying you are racist, it's just kind of strange to assume that only a western studio would add cursing to any series.

Vergil'sBitch

I am Nero's Mom & Obsessed fan girl
Premium
I didn't say you were racist. I said that it was kind of racist to assume only western studios add cursing to video games.
I'll requote what you said.

You said it takes a western company to add cursing. You did not specify at all that you referring to just the Devil May Cry series.
And, it still could be taken as a racist comment even if you were just referring to Devil May Cry since you said only a western studio would add cursing. As I've said, I'm not saying you are racist, it's just kind of strange to assume that only a western studio would add cursing to any series.

So therefore, Its saying that I 'could've said' said something racist.
It was never meant to be racist. I never even said it in that context.
And i meant swearing as in the F-word

Nessy

If someone judged someone as being immature solely by the person using profanity, I would judge them for being so judgemental.

Razyel

Soul Reaver
In my culture ( the Finnish culture :p ) cursing is quite common among people of all ages, but even so I still get pretty annoyed when I hear some grade school kids cursing with their helium voices xD so in our culture cursing doesn't refer to an early age...

now watch this:

ReRave

smug jerk
In my culture ( the Finnish culture :p ) cursing is quite common among people of all ages, but even so I still get pretty annoyed when I hear some grade school kids cursing with their helium voices xD so in our culture cursing doesn't refer to an early age...

now watch this:
The polish do too... God, I love being born of mixed heritage. :D

Tosto

The Dark Brawler
I also don't mind the cursing. I just hope it isn't overdone. More than likely it'll be a devise used to show that this Dante is a bit immature and as the game goes on we'll get to experience his development. This is also why I enjoyed the back and forth between him and Poison in the boss fight, this brings out a lot more of Dante's personality. I have faith in NT to strike a sweet-spot where the swearing doesn't overstay it's welcome.

Sparda's rejected son

For Edenoi!
Premium
Supporter 2014
I get that the game is based on an outcast teen but the large amount of cussing they've added is unnecessary in my opinion. They've just overdone it. I was a fan of the Devil May Cry series because it was something I could enjoy without cut scenes packed with foul language, now I can't enjoy DmC with my little brother. :'(

I'm just kinda sad it's going into the more Mature direction. What are your thoughts on this?

I agree!
Unfortunately in a conversation like this your going to get "numb nuts" who like the cursing cuz their young and stupid and those who don't like the cursing can enjoy something dark without needless cursing and strong sexual content.

Top Bottom