• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

DmC Short Story

Railazel

Hey, guys! It's been awhile since I last wrote a story. I decided to do a "sequel" of sorts for DmC simply because I felt the story lacked a good amout of exposition as to how the world works. Of course, I'm hoping to do more than just provide some arbitrary explanation for some of the plotholes in the game and to sort of evolve the world and Dante as well. Hear's to hoping that I do a good job. Please provide feedback and criticism as this is my first time doing a relatively large job in such a short narrative. Thank you.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter 1- Death and Oppurtunity:
You know, life has a way of messing you up. It has a way of changing your perception so that you realize that your hopes and dreams are nothing than just passing thoughts that'll never take fruit in reality. And all you can do is just stand there and watch as your entire state of mind, your entire world, crumbles before you.

It happened to me. It happened to the world. Where I once thought that everything was going to be better, everything ended up becoming worse. I ended up screwing the world over and I was happy about it, thinking that things can't get any more bad than how they already were. The demons were gone, so the only direction humanity could go was up, right?

How dumb was I. How stupid was I to think that getting rid of the demons and making human see the world for what it truly was was going to make things better. It didn't, and I learned that the hard way. I learned that when I saw a five- year- old girl lose her parents get sliced in front of her eyes. I learned it when I saw a banker get killed by the beings he served. I learned it when every person went crazy as they saw their own souls go haywire in front of their eyes. I learned it when I saw Kat get shot by a human. Mankind was betrayed by me, it only makes sense that one of them would pay me back.

So what was I to do except give up? Fight back? Against every demon in every city in every part of the world, right? For what? For who? Mankind's freedom? I already tried that and look where that got me. I'm not fighting anymore. I'm done. I delivered the world to the Devil and I can't get it back. I'm sorry, but I just don't want to try anymore.

Dante was slouching on his couch, holding an empty beer bottle, while watching a news report of the chaos that was spreading across the world. Where else would he be but in HQ of The Order that somehow remained intact despite the anarchy that had overflowed the city around it. It was pitch black and cold in there but he didn't mind. It makes sense that what was once the only hope for the city's freedom was now an empty, torn husk.

After hours of watching the horrid events that he caused, Dante hit the off button on his remote. He sighed, dropped the beer bottle on the floor, grabbed his jacket and began walking towards the city streets. He stopped before walking through the giant hole in the wall that was left from the SWAT team raid only to look back at the things he was leaving behind: Ebony, Ivory, and Rebellion. They were his most trusted weapons and, in a sense, his only companions. Should he take them with him? What for? He has no use for them now.

He walked a good block, almost puking to nauseating scene of corpses and the putrid smell of death that somehow permeated the entire city. Once he hit the city limits, the demons ambushed him but he just simply used his Devil power to get them out of his way. He decided to keep it active so that he wouldn't have to worry about demons getting in his way again. That's when he noticed a human- looking figure in the distance. After a closer look, he noticed the young man had wings and the weapons that he left behind.

"Hey!" he called, but the man simply walked away. He began running to the boy. When he caught up, the young man aimed Ebony at Dante's head.

"Dante, the forbidden child of Spard and Eva. Nephilim, a harbinger of Death. I am the Angel Ahriman. Your executioner." The young man said, raising his large wings so that Dante can see them, his light- brown skin radiating against the deathly white of Dante's power.

"An angel?" Dante, in a confused shock, took a good look at the young man's wings. "Of death, right?"

"No, I would hate to have that job." The boy's apathetic tone from earlier had now changed. "Seriously though, and I'm sorry to say this but, I kind of need to kill you now. It is your fault that this stuff happened. The contract's been broken, your parents' sacrifice had now been in vain, and Malice is now free to do what it wants with no restraint. You're in some seri-"

"Wait, what did you say about my parents?"

"Their sacrifice was in vain. Wait, you don't know the whole story yet, do you? Well, you do have the right to know before you die. Besides, I don't think I can kill you with your own guns, so I need to go get something else. If you come with me, I'll tell you the entire story. Deal?"

"Deal."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Good so far? A little bit of background story before I start the next chapter. This takes place one year after DmC. As you can see, Dante has gone through a lot and is now depressed; similar in personality to DMC 2 Dante. I kind of thought that this would be a natural direction for the story to take if a DmC 2 is ever announced.

About Ahriman, I originally planned him to be a rebooted Nero but I thought that making him an OC like Kat would give more creative room for me to develop him more. I would tell you more about him, but I want to finish the story before giving you his bio.

Railazel

No, really its pretty good, and i thought the winged boy was nero.

Ha ha!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter 2- Ruined Soul:
"Oh, and could you turn that off?" Ahriman said pointing at the white sky above. Dante did as asked and the sky returned to its dark grey hue. As a consequence, the demons floating about fell on their face, some of them getting squashed by their heavier comrades. "Thanks."

"Why did you need it off?"

"It prevents me from going where we need to go."

"How?" Dante had yet to fully understand his powers. This was the first time anyone had revealed anything about it to him.

"The demon blood flowing through your veins allows you to control Limbo. You're basically screwing it up which, in turn, keeps me from being able to travel between worlds." Ahriman knelt to the ground and began making an angelic symbol through the dirt. The symbol glowed and a portal opened. Dante could see a familiar face on the other side.

It was the demon Phineas. He seemed to be working on something, something... human. He was so caught up in his work that he didn't notice the portal behind him.

"Hey, I know that guy."

"Of course you do. He served you."

"Served?"

"You don't remember? He didn't tell you anything about his relationship with your family?"

"Not really." Dante walked up closer to the portal, getting a good look at the old devil on the other side. "Before he left, he called me his 'master' but I didn't care to figure out what he meant by it."

"He was one of Sparda's underlings. Your father was a powerful demon. I would even say that he could kicked Mundus' a** into kingdom come."

"Then how did he end up getting captured by him?"

"You." Ahriman walked through the portal while Dante stood frozen by what he had just heard. Was he truly the cause of his father's imprisonment? If that's true, is he the reason his mother died? So many questions had to be answered and it seemed that Ahriman held the key to figuring things out. So, whether he liked it or not, Dante had to warm up to his new companion.

On the other side, Phineas was intensely working on his new project. He grabbed tools of various kinds, sparks flying close to his face. He had a little helper demon, one of the Harpies who tortured him, that handed him the tools he needed.

"Yo, Phineas. What's up you old coot?"

"Hm? Who's there?" Phineas turned around, his mechanical eye widening with surprise. "Ah, it's only you."

"Only me? What do you mean by that?"

"I'm saying you're not important enough to waste my time with." Phineas said as he continued working.

"That's harsh. I believe you should thank me."

"For what?"

"Bringing you your savior." Ahriman turned to the side as Dante stepped up. Phineas turned around and began to smile.

"Dante, my boy... It is good to see you."

"And you're a sight for sore eyes." Dante held out his hand.

Phineas laughed as he shook it, "Still got your father's harsh humor. What brings you here?" He asked. Dante nodded towards Ahriman. "You two are working together?"

"He's due for an execution. I'm the executioner." Said Ahriman.

"Execution? For what?" Phineas began to worry.

"Don't act like the boy's a saint, Phineas. You've seen what he's done. His defeat of Mundus turned the world into a hellhole."

"He had good intentions."

"And?"

"He didn't know the consequences of his actions." Phinease quickly turned to Dante. "Right?" As Phineas looked into Dante's eyes, the young man could do nothing but turn away be silent. "Dante... don't tell me you did all this and didn't have a backup plan?"

"Oh, he's in trouble for more than just that." Ahriman began to walk towards Dante. "He's killed a human."

"I didn't mean to!" Dante quickly snapped.

"So, Kat's death had nothing to do with it, right? You didn't kill a man because you were angry, right? You didn't intend to kill the man who killed your girlfriend?"

"Wait," Phineas interjected, "she died? The little girl who helped you died? And you killed a man for it?"

"No! I... I didn't..." Dante turned around and began grabbing his head in frustration, which later turned to sadness and regret.

"Dante," Phineas walked up to him and grabbed his shoulders, "tell me what happened?"

Dante began to think... and remembered.

It was half a year ago. The chaos happening around the world began to reach its apex. Kat and I didn't know what to do. Demons were killing people left and right, the city was in shambles, and the entire world's governement went to pits. We were the cause of the end of the world and we had a hard time dealing with it.

However, she remained strong. While I began to lose my mind over what was going on, she embraced what was happening and only sought to fix it. "Dante!" She said. "We can't lose hope! We fought for the world's freedom and we'll continue that fight... to the end!" She was so brave, so... hopeful. All I knew was that she was my only chance at setting things right.

We decided to take the fight to the demons head- on. Demon after demon came and challenged us, and we fought and killed them all. I learned to control my devil powers while she learned how to use her psychic abilities to fight. We made a good team and, for a moment, I thought we were invincible.

That was when a poor old man pointed a gun at us. He asked us to turn ourselves in. We put our weapons down, raised our hands over our heads, and began walking towards him. Seemingly, that doesn't work anymore because he shot Kat right in the middle of her forehead. "What the f*ck!" I yelled. He shot me in the head and that's when I lost control. The anger just welled up inside and exploded. He begged for mercy saying that he only did it because we worth more dead than alive and he had a family to feed. I could tell that he was telling the truth but I didn't care. He killed Kat, my only hope, and he deserved to die. So, I cut off his head, shot his corpse, and threw it in the garbage. I didn't regain my senses until I turned and saw his daughter scream for her daddy. That's when I realized what I had done. That was when everything changed.

"Dante..." Phineas turned Dante around. "It's okay, son. We can fix this."

"It's not something you can fix." Dante swept his hands off. "I'm a murderer."

"And it's time for your death sentence." Ahriman interrupted while looking at a clock in the corner of Phineas' workshop. "But, as promised, I have to tell you about your parents. However, I'll let Phineas tell the story. He knows it better than I do."

"His parents?"

"Yes."

"You mean... the Deal?"

"Yes, Dante wants to know what happened."

Phineas looked at Dante. The young man's sad eyes begged him for some source of hope, a hope that can only be restored if this story was told. "Fine, then I'll tell him."
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, there you have it. We're almost done and are getting close to the big finale.

Believe it or not, I didn't original intend for Phineas to be in the story until later in conception. I originally intended for this chapter to take place in a paradise called Eden which is basically where the Angels lived. It was supposed to be a way to give some background info for Ahriman and give some parallel between his character and Dante's. I also intended for Ahriman to use graffiti as a method to move between worlds like Kat did but I scrapped that and replaced it with him being an angel.

Railazel

Hope you've guys waited long enough.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter 3- The Deal:
It happened around the time Mundus came to power in the Demon World. The war between the Two Races was reaching its peak and the humans were suffering for it. Sensing this, the angels created a seperate realm for the war, one that mirrored the Human World, so that the humans wouldn't get caught in the crossfire. In this realm, angels and demons had complete control over their surroundings which often resulted in the realm being moved close to the Human World, causing mass destruction and harm to the humans.

Again, the angels had to devise a way to keep the humans out of the war. So they created a formless protector for the Humans. If the realm ever moved close to the Human World, this protector would move it back. The realm itself was named Limbo and the protector, Malice.

What does this have to do with your parents? Well, Malice was losing control. The humans kept blaming the demons for their death. Malice reflected that anger and began to kill the demons. The angels, being warriors of honor, saw this as an unfair advantage, so they tried to calm the humans, but it didn't work.

So, they made a plan. Demons would disguise themselves as humans and live among them. If they could make the humans love them from the inside, Malice would reflect that growing love and the war would be even again. Many demons did so, among them was Mundus and your father. The angels had only one rule: Angels and Demons could not mate with one another. You see, this wasn't the first time either race had to take human form. Every time one did, they would be tempted to make love with the opposing race. And, every time, something bad would happen. A nephilim would be born and things would go to chaos.

You remember Assiel? She was executed by the angels, just like the others. Why? She helped Hitler. Ariel, the one before her, wrote a book that started the Civil War. Every one of them, just like you, ended up throwing the world into the pits of Hell.

But that doesn't explain why your mother had to die and your father endless tortured, does it? You see, the demons realized that the war was inevitably pointless. So, they decided to use their human disquises to forge a new way of life. The angels, thinking that this was a turning of a new leaf, decided to help them out by giving them control over Limbo and taught them the secrets of their powers. However, the demons deceived them and were actually trying to find ways to control the humans. The angels figured this out, but way too late, the deal had been set.

The angels promised not to harm the demons as long as the demons either resided in Limbo or in human guises in the mortal world. The demons did just that while turning the humans into livestock. The angels couldn't do anything to help the humans since Limbo and Malice were now under the control of the demons.

Would it be a blessing that you were born? Yes. A blessing and a curse. Thanks to Sparda and Eva's union, the deal between the angels and demons was now broken. However, your very existence deemed death to the world. Should the angels kill you or not? Killing you would mean losing a potential weapon but keeping you alive would mean losing the entire world.

That's when Sparda and Eva made another deal. Sparda said that he and his brother, Mundus, would try to take control over the demons, become their kings, and stop them from feeding off human souls if the angels would keep away from his son. Better yet, the angels could watch over his children and keep them from reaching their full potential, thus having their weapon and keeping the world safe.

It seemed like a perfect plan until an angel, out of fear, attempted to kill one of Sparda's children. The baby survived, but Mundus didn't know that. He saw this as a betrayal by the angels and, now that he was king, restarted the war. However, his brother faced him in defense of the angels. This broke Mundus' heart and he went mad. He blamed it all on your mother and made it his personal vendetta to kill her. He had hope that his brother would be humble enough to beg for mercy and apologize, but he never did, so Mundus placed him under eternal torture until he decided to do so.

"That's the story." Phineas concluded.

"That's why your mother sacrificed herself to save you." Ahriman continued. "She knew Mundus would go after her and used herself as a distraction while you escaped with your brother. Your father did as he promised and wiped your memories so that you would never know of your origins and never know of your full power. He believed in us. He believed that we would get to you first and fought the entire army of Hell to by us time, but it was all in vain."

"How do you know all this? Who are you?" Dante asked.

"Your mother was my best friend and my first love. Sparda and I fought together on those two fateful days, when he fought against Mundus to defend us and when he fought against the angels to save you. But I failed him when he needed most." A tear ran from Ahriman's eye to the bottom of his chin. Dante followed the tear with his eyes. In deep reflection, Dante began to walk to the portal. Stopped in front of it and looked at the dead city he tried to save.

It was official, all this was his fault. If he wasn't born, none of this would have happened. Now, he has a chance to set things right through his death sentence.

"I'm ready..." He said. "I'm ready for my sentence."

"Are you sure?" Ahriman asked.

"Wait, don't do it, Dante!" Phineas yelled in fear.

"No... No, Phineas. It's okay, I want this. You know better than I do that I'm due for it." Dante walked up to Phineas and put his hand on his shoulder. Phineas could only remain silent.

Ahriman walked over to portal and drew another mark under it. The portal changed its destination to what looked like a Roman utopia on the other side. The two young men looked at each other before crossing. Phineas turned to his almost- finished work.

"Just when he was ready to get this..." Phineas said as he lifted the blade. "His father's sword..."

On the other side of the portal, the young man were greeted by a gloriousness as they made it to the home of the angels.

"What is this place?" Dante asked.

"My home, your mother's home, the home of the pure." Ahriman walked out in front of Dante, spreading his arms and wings wide. "Welcome to Paradiso."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wooh! Third chapter finished. Next one up is the last chapter of this short story.

I think these last two chapters are going to be my favorite pieces of work so far. I wanted this chapter to be tragic in a way, pretty much making it my most depressing work yet. But don't worry, Dante went through Hell and just climbed up Purgatory, he has only one destination to go, right?

seraphmaycry

Hope you've guys waited long enough.

Wooh! Third chapter finished. Next one up is the last chapter of this short story.

I think these last two chapters are going to be my favorite pieces of work so far. I wanted this chapter to be tragic in a way, pretty much making it my most depressing work yet. But don't worry, Dante went through Hell and just climbed up Purgatory, he has only one destination to go, right?
and im hopeless at this so you will have to tell me as whenever someone tries to teach me religion i just cant pay attetion

Railazel

and im hopeless at this so you will have to tell me as whenever someone tries to teach me religion i just cant pay attetion

In the story, Dante's Inferno (aka The Divine Comedy), the main character Dante journeys through five places: The Forest, Limbo, Inferno (Hell), Purgatory, and Paradiso (Heaven).

Railazel

Well, if you've been reading, I would like to say thanks for giving this small story some attention. At last, this is the final chapter. It was a blast writing it. I would definitely consider it my best work yet. As promised, I would give you some details about Ahriman. I might add some extra stuff later. Now, without further ado...

Final Chapter- Put To Rest:
"Paradise, huh?" Dante looked around, walking slowly foward, trying to capture the beauty of the realm around him. Truly, this could be called an angel's home. Yet something was off. This was supposed to be paradise, right? Why are executions held here? He looked at Ahriman, thinking he might give some explanation about this world and its customs but his face... showed a deep sadness. "Hey man, what's wrong?"

Ahriman nodded his head. "I wish I could tell you without sounding sappy."

Dante walked closer. "What is it?"

"You're about to die." He said. "Your mother wanted me to protect you. Heck, when she and Sparda married each other, she asked me to be your godfather."

"Godfather?" Dante was possibly more shocked than he has ever been during this journey. The angel in front of him had a much deeper connection to him than he thought.

"Yeah... Best moment of my life. The greatest honor, the greatest thing that I can ever ask for." Ahriman chuckled a bit. "Next to dating your mother, of course."

The humor didn't reach Dante's ears. He was getting a little aggravated from the confusion he was now experiencing. Here was his godfather now trying to kill him, but why? "So then why are you my executioner now? Why aren't you trying to get me out of this mess?"

"Weren't you just fine with it before? Now, you want me to stop it?"

"No, I don't. I just want to know what your motives are."

"Because I..." Ahriman choked. He began to show signs of coming close to crying. "Because I didn't want to fail you, your family, two times over. I had already lost you to the demons. I didn't want to see your life be taken away from you by someone else." The first tear finally crawled its way out from his eye. "You don't understand how much I love you. You wouldn't understand how I felt when your parents showed your precious faces when you were babies." He wiped the tear off his cheek. "I wanted to be your father. I wanted to care of you. I wanted to be there for you!"

"But you couldn't... Could you? And you were tortured by it."

"I couldn't touch you as long as you were under the protection of the demons."

"Protection?"

"That's what they called it and we saw it as such. I tried to tell them otherwise but the others didn't listen." He walked over to Dante's face, looking straight into his eyes, reflecting his pain through his gaze. "I had to watch as you suffered."

Dante was silent for awhile. He turned away and looked up, thinking. Then, it all made sense to him. "So, this execution... is just a way for you to end the torture, huh?"

"What else can I do? The alternative would be for you to suffer the same fate as your father."

"Who decides these things?"

"The Council? They created The Order, the group your brother was a part of. They are a group of angels chosen by the people here."

"So what? They say something and its law?" Dante became agitated again. What kind of paradise is this?

"Yes."

"That's f*cked up!" Dante yelled in anger. "That isn't right! They knew your situation, right? They knew what was going on. They knew about the demons. They knew about everything! Why would they-"

"Because we're foolish and naive!" Ahriman yelled back. "We believe in the good of things. We always give the benefit of the doubt. We never ever think of the risk of deception or cruel intent. We're kind- hearted beings. That very aspect has led us to make the worst of decisions."

"But that doesn't explain you. That doesn't explain why they just left you suffering."

"They thought that the demons were just disciplining you. We would give any excuse, Dante. Anything to justify a person's actions."

"So, wait. What about me? Why am I paying for the end of the world? Why not give me an excuse for that."

"Because the world wants your head, Dante. Malice is out of control and all its hatred is directed at you. If we want any chance of bringing the world back to peace, we need Malice on our side."

Dante laughed. "So that's it, huh? I'm just a pawn in your little game."

*smack!*

Ahriman slapped Dante's face so hard that Dante almost lost his balance. "Don't your dare patronize me! I've lived over 15, 000 years. I've killed over a million souls, both innocent and evil! So don't you dare start disrespecting me!" Then he grabbed Dante and began to hold him in a tight embrace. The tears began to flow like rivers. "Especially when I've lost so much already...."

The sting on Dante's face became warm and comforting. He returned Ahriman's embrace, holding hesitantly but just as tightly. He and Ahriman were birds of the same feather. They have both lost the ones they've loved and cared about. Who was Dante to think that Ahriman didn't care? Who was he to think that this was all just a game to Ahriman? Ahriman was suffering. If this was the only way to ease it, then so be it.

"I'm sorry." He said.

"It's okay," Ahirman let go of Dante, wiping away his tears, "let's just not talk about this again."

Dante giggled. "Yeah, let's not..."

In the distance was a large colliseum where the angels were gathering. They all knew of Dante's execution and were already prepared, wearing all black as if going to a funeral. Even though none of them knew Dante personally, they were weeping for him.

The preparations for his execution were complete. He was chained with large handcuffs that prevent him from using his powers. Walking slowly through the large colliseum doors, he saw Ahriman standing behind a pool of water in a priestly outfit holding a Bible in his hand.

Dante walked in the water. It was warm, consoling, as if it promised that his death would be a peaceful one. Ahriman walked in, too. They met at the middle of the pool, facing each other for the last time.

"You're ready?" Ahriman asked.

"Yeah."

"Kneel, please."

Dante had done so. Ahriman turned toward the other Council Members that were on a balcony, overlooking the event. They stood up as one walked forward to the edge.

"My people. Yet again, our outlook on life has faced us with another loss of innocent life. Here, we must sacrifice a young hero to save the world. Let us not forgot him. His birth allowed us the chance the break the bondage the world was forced under by the demons and his heroics did our job for us. A job we failed to do. Let us honor him in his death." He stared down at Ahriman and signaled him to continue. "You may begin, Councilman Ahriman. We are sorry and pititful for bringing you this great grief."

Ahriman turned back to Dante and gave him one last hug. "Remember, Dante. Me, your mother, your father, we have always loved you. We will always be proud of you."

"I love you guys, too."

Ahriman cringed as the words pierced his heart. Holding back the tears, he slowly placed Dante's head into the water....

Moments later, Dante woke up. His mother sitting beside him, softly caressing his face. 'Rise and shine, sleepyhead."

"Momma? Momma!" He jumped and hugged his mother as tight as he could.

"My, my, what's wrong, dear?"

"I had the scariest nightmare! You died and Daddy was tortured by demons and I had to live my life without you and I almost killed Vergil! And I-"

"Baby, baby, baby! It's okay... I'm here, now. None of that stuff will ever happen. I promise." She held him in a warm embrace and kissed him on the cheek. Soon, the fears went away. He was home and that's all that mattered.

"Mommy, where are you?"

"I'm over here, Vergil!"

Vergil ran in with two wooden swords in his hands. "Look! Look what Dad made for me and Dante!" He showed his mother the swords, then placed one on Dante's lap.

"Well, they sure are nice, aren't they? Did you thank your father?"

"Yep. I thanked him a whole bunch! Come on, Dante! You should go thank him, too. Then we could go play with these!" Vergil ran out almost as fast as he came in.

Eva looked at Dante, who looked a little confused. "Well, go on."

A bright smile shined on Dante's face as he ran out to catch up with his brother.

In reality, Dante was being carried over to his grave. There was a giant statue built where his body would be preserved, so that decay would never tarnish his corpse. The coliseum doors slowly slammed shut. The angels left the coliseum... except for one, Ahriman, who's tears continued to fall into the pool.

The End.

seraphmaycry

haha donte u could not use rebbelion, sparta trigger, majiin from or any type of backup dante wins

still a grat fanfic

Top Bottom