• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

DMC HD could have been better

Macabre

Your Friend and Mine
HD was alright, you get what you pay for, but I've experienced more crashing than I'd like

the very least theycould have done was give Dante the ability to switch styles on the fly and let him hold 6 weapons at once instead of 4.

I actually like the inhibitions of DMC3's system. You're playing a character who hasn't quite come into his abilities and thus doesn't have the ludicrous adaptability of his older self. Also I find that being strapped down to a single style means you have to anticipate what strengths/weaknesses each will saddle you with, and find the best way each can serve a given fight.

It's not like there are certain enemies that can only be harmed with certain weapons or anything.

WorkenOnMaLeft

HD was alright, you get what you pay for, but I've experienced more crashing than I'd like

I actually like the inhibitions of DMC3's system. You're playing a character who hasn't quite come into his abilities and thus doesn't have the ludicrous adaptability of his older self. Also I find that being strapped down to a single style means you have to anticipate what strengths/weaknesses each will saddle you with, and find the best way each can serve a given fight.

It's not like there are certain enemies that can only be harmed with certain weapons or anything.
yes i understand the thought process that comes with choosing your equipment and style just because you write it out doesnt automatically turn it into a logical argument. But i think its so adorable how you contradict yourself. All of a sudden DMC takes its story so serious that its ok for it to affect your gameplay to such a degree? Please come up with a less BS reason as to why they didnt do the things i said. theres no excuse, since doing so would make DMC3 the best action game ever made, even in this day and age.

Macabre

Your Friend and Mine
yes i understand the thought process that comes with choosing your equipment and style just because you write it out doesnt automatically turn it into a logical argument. But i think its so adorable how you contradict yourself. All of a sudden DMC takes its story so serious that its ok for it to affect your gameplay to such a degree? Please come up with a less BS reason as to why they didnt do the things i said. theres no excuse, since doing so would make DMC3 the best action game ever made, even in this day and age.

Gameplay and storyline should serve each other equally. When you play a character with little combat experience, he should be inhibited in how much he can do within the confines of the gameplay as well as the plot. Just because the emphasis with Devil May Cry is on the combat rather than storyline does not necessarily mean that it can't have intelligent conveyance between these two elements.

Most will agree that DMC4 is fairly weak in the plot department, but it still has this kind of conveyance as part of it's design. Nero is young and has little combat experience, so he lacks the broad plethora of skills that Dante has at his disposal despite how far he comes from where you start the game to the end. Dante on the other hand may have become so adaptable that he can switch styles whenever he wants, but because he's more set in his ways than his younger self he can't access the entire spectrum of skills he had in 3. It's character illustration through gameplay which makes the whole experience richer.

Another reason for a lack of style switching in 3 might have been technical limitations, but I really think it's intentional by design. If it wasn't they'd have put it in the Special Edition rerelease.

WorkenOnMaLeft

Wow I used to think that you always had good arguments to back up your points but all youve done is show how the story has been tied to the gameplay on 3 and 4 all the while trying to avoid the inescapable truth that DMC3 would have greatly benefited from the changes ive proposed and no one, i mean literally NO ONE, would have complained if they had done so. Btw Dante was no rookie in 3, if he wasnt well known for his skills he wouldnt have been able to open his shop and expect to get any sort of business, he just doesnt hold a candle to his DMC1 and 4 self. And technical limitations? lol now youre reaching, all youre doing changing the function of one button(with the exemption of stomp). the only acceptable excuse is that Dante would become overpowered and the game wouldnt maintain its trademark difficulty, but even then you could just bump up the difficulty slightly but i dont think that would be too much of a problem as you may imagine. But I know its strange when someone says that one of the best action games ever made could have been even better. How about this: Styles become selectable as a game completion bonus.n
And about DMC4: Neros movelist was limited because 4 was rushed and the didnt want to give him another weapon. Heck he even had the weapon swap button completly free! if that doesnt reek of laziness idk what does. Then my theory is that styles werent selectable in 3 because it was being saved for 4(for for, 4 4, lol). Seectabke styles were the only major advancement in the gameplay (most moves were recycled from 3 and theres only two entirely new weapons even though one works similarly to the rocket launcher in 3).

Macabre

Your Friend and Mine
I'd like you to present a single piece of solid evidence for Nero's rumoured additional styles and weapons.

What's more, you just brought up the other important reason they couldn't introduce Style Switching into 3: The game is balanced around having only one selected at a time, with every monster, weapon and obstacle built around that limitation. Adding in the Style Switch system would be like putting Rico's Grapple from Just Cause 2 into Tomb Raider 1.

WorkenOnMaLeft

I'd like you to present a single piece of solid evidence for Nero's rumoured additional styles and weapons.

What's more, you just brought up the other important reason they couldn't introduce Style Switching into 3: The game is balanced around having only one selected at a time, with every monster, weapon and obstacle built around that limitation. Adding in the Style Switch system would be like putting Rico's Grapple from Just Cause 2 into Tomb Raider 1.
Awesome, is it like concept art or something? And Like I said that would the one acceptable excuse. But as you said yourself its not like theres enemies that can only be harmed by one specific style or weapon so I dont think it would be too much of a problem and I dont expect the difficulty to suffer THAT much, do you?. How bout they let you use two styles? one offensive (swordmaster & gunslinger) and one defensive (RG and Trickster). That or having three melee weapons and two guns. For the record, I do really enjoy having to strategize and pick and choose my equipment to go into a boss fight or mission with a very clear plan in mind, im really just throwing around ideas.

Rayl

Pain and pleasure... I've got it all.
I can't deny that i wouldn't like the ability to switch between SM and RG at will but not as standard, it would be nice as an unlockable feature though if will designed.

To be totally honest i'm just glad they changed the DMC1 controls around, i'd have been pretty annoyed if they hadn't even bothered with something as simple as that.

Hellspawn

Hope some time they will make a fully remake of Devil May Cry 1-3, like they did to first Resident Evil.

Top Bottom