• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

DmC: Devil May Cry... changes?

Primordium

From shadow to shadow...
Now, it's been a while since the controversial title was released, and some of happened to be quite okay with what had been changed in the reboot. But, if you could do something different to this game... what would you do?
(If you're going to be negative, you are welcome, just be polite and refrain from swearing)

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
I don't know... I guess the only thing that I would want would be lock-on.

I would make sure the DT in this game didn't make all the enemies float in the air.

No color coded enemies.

If I think of anything else, I'll be sure to post it here.

EllDawn

I agree with the last two Loopy said. That and maybe a little more about Kat and Vergil. I would have liked to know more about their pasts. Everything else I was fine with.

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
I agree with the last two Loopy said. That and maybe a little more about Kat and Vergil. I would have liked to know more about their pasts. Everything else I was fine with.
Yes, and more Kat and Vergil; especially as not everyone would have seen the Vergil comic that has more of their story in.

While we're at it, more of Phineas. He had a lot of potential, but wasn't used too much.

Also, make some members of The Order have a personailty, maybe talk a little to Dante when he first got taken to the HQ. Then I might have cared when they were all shot.

Primordium

From shadow to shadow...
I personally would have enjoyed a bit of a more open world-y feel to it. Not to the extent of having to go to one place to the next, and possibly being forced into Limbo at random times (although that would be a lot of fun), just larger environments to explore sort of. Harder difficulty would be a definite recommendation.

EvilX-81

Oh, that's right, I forgot. Harder difficulty. Harder than DMC3 Turbo and Master Ninja mode combined.

Harder than Dark Souls. :shifty:

The Nintendo Hard generation bred a bunch of masochists. That said, I would replace the Butchers with something else.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
The Nintendo Hard generation bred a bunch of masochists. That said, I would replace the Butchers with something else.
That they did. Ninja Gaiden III for life. :steve:

I know people really don't like the third one for NES because it's so cheap, but since it's the hardest, might as well go with that one. I have beaten and liked the second one, though.

And might as well do something about that glowing sphere on the Butchers' stomachs... I never liked that aspect of their art design. Or, just replace them entirely with something else, like you said.

I Make The Devils Cry

Now, it's been a while since the controversial title was released, and some of happened to be quite okay with what had been changed in the reboot. But, if you could do something different to this game... what would you do?
(If you're going to be negative, you are welcome, just be polite and refrain from swearing)
Well, you're useless now... done with you. Anyone asks, look at Primordium's gamertag, and then look at mine.

Macabre

Your Friend and Mine
What would i change about DmC? Oh sure, hand me a Rubik's Tetrahedron why don't you...

The Ophion grapple system could have been much more interesting. I often got the feeling that the ludicrous mobility it gives you makes it completely unfair for the enemies, who even on DMD can't keep up if you grapple between them constantly or just abuse it to perform endless, effortless aerial combos. The introduction of enemies that could counter-grapple Dante, perhaps by grabbing him if he abused the tactic or swinging him into the jaws of another enemy, could have made the mechanic a little more balanced. Then there was the way the original trailer showed Dante using Ophion to chuck cars at enemies, so using it to turn the environment against enemies seems like an idea that was teased then failed to appear.

In fact on the whole the environment's role in the combat tended to be disappointing; usually it only involved uppercutting an enemy into a hazard above you or over the invisible wall at the side of a floating platform for an easy instant kill, or if you were really really lucky, sometimes the floor could hurt you. For a game that makes a big deal out of it's Hostile Transforming Environments, it completely failed to make an interesting combat mechanic out of the idea. Imagine if the terrain sometimes lashed out, like the spectral hands you got in the old games, and you could abuse that effect by luring enemies towards it just before it attacked.

The enemy AI is generally god awful too, even by Devil May Cry standards. They telegraph for incredibly long periods of time, and by using the camera you can abuse the aggression system so that you can single out enemies so you can whomp on them with impunity. When God Hand did this it at least didn't give the player independant camera control with the right stick, because the designers realised how easily it could be abused if that were the case. So yes, much more aggressive, tenacious enemies with tactics that compliment eachother, and attack in numbers on par with Legendary Dark Knight difficulty in DMC4, that'd do nicely.

I should stop now, or I never will.

I Make The Devils Cry

What would i change about DmC? Oh sure, hand me a Rubik's Tetrahedron why don't you...

The Ophion grapple system could have been much more interesting. I often got the feeling that the ludicrous mobility it gives you makes it completely unfair for the enemies, who even on DMD can't keep up if you grapple between them constantly or just abuse it to perform endless, effortless aerial combos. The introduction of enemies that could counter-grapple Dante, perhaps by grabbing him if he abused the tactic or swinging him into the jaws of another enemy, could have made the mechanic a little more balanced. Then there was the way the original trailer showed Dante using Ophion to chuck cars at enemies, so using it to turn the environment against enemies seems like an idea that was teased then failed to appear.

In fact on the whole the environment's role in the combat tended to be disappointing; usually it only involved uppercutting an enemy into a hazard above you or over the invisible wall at the side of a floating platform for an easy instant kill, or if you were really really lucky, sometimes the floor could hurt you. For a game that makes a big deal out of it's Hostile Transforming Environments, it completely failed to make an interesting combat mechanic out of the idea. Imagine if the terrain sometimes lashed out, like the spectral hands you got in the old games, and you could abuse that effect by luring enemies towards it just before it attacked.

The enemy AI is generally god awful too, even by Devil May Cry standards. They telegraph for incredibly long periods of time, and by using the camera you can abuse the aggression system so that you can single out enemies so you can whomp on them with impunity. When God Hand did this it at least didn't give the player independant camera control with the right stick, because the designers realised how easily it could be abused if that were the case. So yes, much more aggressive, tenacious enemies with tactics that compliment eachother, and attack in numbers on par with Legendary Dark Knight difficulty in DMC4, that'd do nicely.

I should stop now, or I never will.
Any comments on the plot; characters, setting and more?

Top Bottom