• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

DmC average score on N4G (477 Reviews)

Do you agree with this score MORE or LESS?

• Yes

Votes: 17 60.7%
  • No

Votes: 11 39.3%

• Total voters

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
I mean everyone, and I don't care much for "professional" reviews besides I have a ton of games that would be considered "crap" if I went by scores. Everyone has different tastes. And can you seriously tell me people take reviewers like IGN seriously?
I dunno... anyone here take them seriously? :ermm:

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
6. There is nothing in this universe that can make DmC's input lag on consoles bearable for me. How ANYONE could think a high-octane fast action game such as this can have input lag and do OK is beyond me.

I never noticed... ._.

D

Deleted member 25469

I never noticed... ._.
MANY console titles of this generation have atrocious input lag. I admit it's hard to tell unless you plug your SNES/Genesis, play PC games or play the more responsive current gen titles (Bayonetta, any of the Ninja Gaidens except vanilla 3, DMC4).

EvilX-81

I' m kinda torn with the scale issue come to think of it. I tend to think of games that rate in at a 5 or 6 as playable, but not enjoyable. A chore.

Superman Returns for example, was a 5 for me, maybe a 6. Playable, nothing's really broken, but like working the buttons on your VCR remote, it's not fun to play with. You don't feel really feel challenged or engaged for the most part.

If I see a 7, I tend to take that as the game is playable, and you will enjoy playing it. In this day and age against current games, I'd rate Super Mario Bro classic a 7. Everything works, no overly game breaking bugs, no story there, but it is fun to play and makes up for it all in the category of enjoyment.

But overall, it's a pretty hard and subjective thing to work out.

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
MANY console titles of this generation have atrocious input lag. I admit it's hard to tell unless you plug your SNES/Genesis, play PC games or play the more responsive current gen titles (Bayonetta, any of the Ninja Gaidens except vanilla 3, DMC4).

Thanks for not calling me a "casual." Pretty much every time I tell someone that I can't tell the difference between 30 and 60 FPS, or say I can't notice input lag, I get labeled "casual." Right, because a casual gamer can beat Bayonetta on Non-Stop Infinite Climax mode...

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
Right, because a casual gamer can beat Bayonetta on Non-Stop Infinite Climax mode...

Please... I beat Tantra Karma Sutra Mode

With my teeth.

quadriplegics%2520video%2520games-325526376_v2.grid-6x2%5B1%5D.jpg

Seriously though, I saw someone beat NG1 on NES with his feet. HIS FEET. :O

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
Please... I beat Tantra Karma Sutra Mode

With my teeth.

quadriplegics%2520video%2520games-325526376_v2.grid-6x2%5B1%5D.jpg

Seriously though, I saw someone beat NG1 on NES with his feet. HIS FEET. :O

If I was a human, I think my head might have exploded. Luckily, I'm an incredibly attractive dragon man instead. :3

D

Deleted member 25469

Thanks for not calling me a "casual." Pretty much every time I tell someone that I can't tell the difference between 30 and 60 FPS, or say I can't notice input lag, I get labeled "casual." Right, because a casual gamer can beat Bayonetta on Non-Stop Infinite Climax mode...
Because people are assholes.

The current generation of gaming (on consoles) conditions you to low resolutions, screen tearing, aliasing, blurry textures and low framerates and you stop noticing after a while. It's normal, it happens to me too. Then you play a 1080p60 game on PC (or even consoles, wasn't Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 a 1080p60 title? I remember it being awesome on PS3 somehow) and you're like "I CAN SEE AND REACT TO EVERYTHING. EVERYTHING!".

That being said, I am very picky about this sort of thing. 720p I will tolerate disapprovingly, depending on how the game handles it. I originally owned DMC4 on PS3 and enjoyed every minute of it. but 30 fps? lolno.

I remember when console games didn't even try on the graphics front and instead focused on gameplay. Seriously, there's nothing wrong about a game that has average special effects or polygons, or even textures. But image blurriness and low framerate actively detracts from the actual GAMEPLAY!

Thus, a 6/10 for the console version of DmC is in order. It's slow, it's blurry, it's choppy and it responds late to inputs. The core game brings it avobe mediocrity, but there's only so much you can do about a game that's punishing to play for the wrong reasons.

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
Because people are assholes.

The current generation of gaming (on consoles) conditions you to low resolutions, screen tearing, aliasing, blurry textures and low framerates and you stop noticing after a while. It's normal, it happens to me too. Then you play a 1080p60 game on PC (or even consoles, wasn't Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 a 1080p60 title? I remember it being awesome on PS3 somehow) and you're like "I CAN SEE AND REACT TO EVERYTHING. EVERYTHING!".

That being said, I am very picky about this sort of thing. 720p I will tolerate disapprovingly, depending on how the game handles it. I originally owned DMC4 on PS3 and enjoyed every minute of it. but 30 fps? lolno.

I remember when console games didn't even try on the graphics front and instead focused on gameplay. Seriously, there's nothing wrong about a game that has average special effects or polygons, or even textures. But image blurriness and low framerate actively detracts from the actual GAMEPLAY!

Thus, a 6/10 for the console version of DmC is in order. It's slow, it's blurry, it's choppy and it responds late to inputs. The core game brings it avobe mediocrity, but there's only so much you can do about a game that's punishing to play for the wrong reasons.

I never found DmC punishing to play... And I remember NGS2 being incredibly difficult to get used to because the controls are a bit TOO precise. Seriously, there's like, no zeroing on the analog sticks, so Ryu always starts sidling a bit whenever I stop moving and it makes tough jumps really tedious.

D

Deleted member 25469

I never found DmC punishing to play... And I remember NGS2 being incredibly difficult to get used to because the controls are a bit TOO precise. Seriously, there's like, no zeroing on the analog sticks, so Ryu always starts sidling a bit whenever I stop moving and it makes tough jumps really tedious.
You don't find DmC punishing to play because you don't have 60 fps as your mainstay. Unless you played a very small subset of specific titles on your console, it's be impossible for you to be accustomed to 60 fps.

Think about it this way: If you live all your life eating normal rations of food, then all is fine and dandy and that's it.

If you live all your life eating like a fat glutton and suddenly you eat normal rations of food, it's gonna be excruciating to you.

Is it good? Is it bad? I don't know, but 60 fps is my standard and it is physically discomforting to play at anything less than that.

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
You don't find DmC punishing to play because you don't have 60 fps as your mainstay. Unless you played a very small subset of specific titles on your console, it's be impossible for you to be accustomed to 60 fps.

Think about it this way: If you live all your life eating normal rations of food, then all is fine and dandy and that's it.

If you live all your life eating like a fat glutton and suddenly you eat normal rations of food, it's gonna be excruciating to you.

Is it good? Is it bad? I don't know, but 60 fps is my standard and it is physically discomforting to play at anything less than that.

It's not that I can't get used to 60 fps, it's that I literally cannot detect the difference. Sometimes, even, it seems like 30 fps games go FASTER than some 60 fps games. My perspective is all f*cked up, I guess.

IncarnatedDemon

New question guys:
Take standpoint in that the "average game" score is 5/10, what would your score be then?
My score would be 6.5/10.

Basically the non modern Review scale

13151596601392.png

Please repeat the question before answering it so that everyone reading the thread sees this question and answers it.

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
New question guys:
Take standpoint in that the "average game" score is 5/10, what would your score be then?

13151596601392.png

Please repeat the question before answering it so that everyone reading the thread sees this question and answers it.

Going by the more correct/reasonable score sheet/method..the old one.

I give it a 4.5.

Wow...4.5 seems a bit......low...guess I'm so used to the modern way of doing thing.

Sunaka Marién

My, like, "personal emotion and fun based rating" would be 9.5 :p
New question guys:

13151596601392.png

Rating it from a more objective perspective, especially using those tables is a bit more difficult, though :ermm:
On the moder review scale, it'd be... a 9, I guess? Huh, this thing is even more inflatious than I thought :blink: Idk, I really think that DmC is a good game, but based on my own feeling it'd be an 8.5 as far as modern reviews would go...
Anyway, based on the old review scale, I'd also say it's a 6.5 :3

Gbraga

I agree with the score, but not for the console version. 30 fps, input lag and no turbo mode kill this game for me. The bloody palace being a joke for the first 50 levels and the color-coded enemies don't help it either.

On the PC, I believe it is a fantastic game on par with DMC4 gameplay-wise and single-player wise. DmC might be shorter, but it isn't 40% backtracking and the enemies are well designed both for Vergil and Dante (can't say the same for a few enemies in DMC4 with Dante). I like the setting, characters and story much, MUCH better in DMC4, though.

60 fps, GREAT visuals, no input lag, turbo mode, OppressedWriter's colored enemies mod, amongst others, all sum up to make this game well worthy of an 8.
I'd give the game a 7 overall myself, but if we're counting mods, the DLC and the PC version benefits, I do think it'd be fair to give it an 8 for the PC version.

I didn't play it on console to give my veredict, but I can say that I HATED the demo when I played it on PS3, JESUS that performance was atrocious.

I'm used to playing it on PC and not only it runs flawlessly but also is one of the best looking games I've ever played, so it's kinda hard to have how horrible the demo was in mind to compare.

I just wish Capcom-Unity would make a weekly (maybe every 15 days or even mothly) contest where people submit their videos and they'd post the best ones in their youtube channel, it would do great for the DmC community, that is very lazy and slow when it comes to record combo footage (myself included)

Top Bottom