• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

DmC Anime

Dante47

Since Devil May Cry has been rebooted in the form of DmC, do you think a anime based in the DmC universe will come out? If made, do you think it be made by Madhouse? Please leave your opinion for this.

Ana

I don't think so. For one thing, DmC is made by a western developer and has a very western aesthetic. Unless it's for a project like that X-men anime, I don't see it getting adapted.

That aside, Ninja Theory is supposed to be very good at storytelling, so I don't think there would be the same sort of "room" for an anime. (What I mean is, DMC had little in the way of world-building and story details because it focused on action, so fans would be interested in seeing more about the DMC world and characters in a format that allows for more exposition and story development. But DmC will probably not be like that.)

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
I don't think so. For one thing, DmC is made by a western developer and has a very western aesthetic. Unless it's for a project like that X-men anime, I don't see it getting adapted.

That aside, Ninja Theory is supposed to be very good at storytelling, so I don't think there would be the same sort of "room" for an anime. (What I mean is, DMC had little in the way of world-building and story details because it focused on action, so fans would be interested in seeing more about the DMC world and characters in a format that allows for more exposition and story development. But DmC will probably not be like that.)

The new thundercats is made by Studio C4.

lots of animes have western themes in them.

^ But couldnt you just find an area of the new canon to world build in the anime?

Ana

The new thundercats is made by Studio C4.

lots of animes have western themes in them.

^ But couldnt you just find an area of the new canon to world build in the anime?

I wouldn't say Thundercats 2011 has a particularly western aesthetic. It's not particularly Japanese either, but it's not all that western. It's also targeted at a much younger audience and is overall a much "brighter" show. There can be very dark anime, but usually not in the same style as DmC. That dark "rebel against the oppressive government" thing isn't too common. (Though there are some anime like that.)

In my experience, the more canon their is, the harder it is to fit something in. The less interest there is to see something fitted in. Also, if there is a lot of complicated backstory and character development that went on, the anime will need to somehow summarize or shorthand it so that non-gamefans will not be lost. In DMC, the general story is super simple, so it's pretty easy to jump right in. That's probably also the reason why Vergil and Mundus are never even mentioned.

Consider also that if DmC does well, it might get a sequel. The anime will then have to make sure not to overlap with that either (while the sequel's still in development no less).

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
I wouldn't say Thundercats 2011 has a particularly western aesthetic. It's not particularly Japanese either, but it's not all that western. It's also targeted at a much younger audience and is overall a much "brighter" show. There can be very dark anime, but usually not in the same style as DmC. That dark "rebel against the oppressive government" thing isn't too common. (Though there are some anime like that.)

In my experience, the more canon their is, the harder it is to fit something in. The less interest there is to see something fitted in. Also, if there is a lot of complicated backstory and character development that went on, the anime will need to somehow summarize or shorthand it so that non-gamefans will not be lost. In DMC, the general story is super simple, so it's pretty easy to jump right in. That's probably also the reason why Vergil and Mundus are never even mentioned.

Consider also that if DmC does well, it might get a sequel. The anime will then have to make sure not to overlap with that either (while the sequel's still in development no less).

I started watching Guilty crown which has a similar theme, I guess. I think it is common tho as such animes as Code Geass and gundam 00/Gundam wing have it.

I do agree that sometimes having a tight canon makes it hard to fit something but thats up in the air as we dont how much of it is explained till the game comes out.

But then couldnt you just get someone from NT to oversee the anime to make sure it doesnt contradict?
Bingo who was the writer of 3 and 4, did the anime.

Ana

I started watching Guilty crown which has a similar theme, I guess. I think it is common tho as such animes as Code Geass and gundam 00/Gundam wing have it.

I do agree that sometimes having a tight canon makes it hard to fit something but thats up in the air as we dont how much of it is explained till the game comes out.

But then couldnt you just get someone from NT to oversee the anime to make sure it doesnt contradict?
Bingo who was the writer of 3 and 4, did the anime.

Ah, Guilty Crown. Talk about a show with wasted potential. I feel like there's a difference in... general atmosphere between those shows and what DmC is going for, but I can't explain it and it's too early to tell anyway. I think something like Ergo Proxy or No.6 would be a little closer...

Wait, wait. The writer for 3 and 4 did the anime?! Okay, you know, there are no excuses now. Why did they do such a fail job then?! I mean, usually I can write it off as no one being willing to work more than necessary, but if you're the games' writer too... Geez.

Sieghart

"Plough the lilies"
What?Guilty crown is awesome >_< lolol
I don't see for DmC having an anime since its made by a western studio with so many western stuffs in it.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
Ah, Guilty Crown. Talk about a show with wasted potential. I feel like there's a difference in... general atmosphere between those shows and what DmC is going for, but I can't explain it and it's too early to tell anyway. I think something like Ergo Proxy or No.6 would be a little closer...

Wait, wait. The writer for 3 and 4 did the anime?! Okay, you know, there are no excuses now. Why did they do such a fail job then?! I mean, usually I can write it off as no one being willing to work more than necessary, but if you're the games' writer too... Geez.

Off topic- what's wrong with guilty crown?
I'll take your word for it.

He was a also executive producer and on the writing staff. He might have been the showrunner but kobayashi was also there so you could blame him too.

Plus Jak and daxter/rachet and clank were mangas and Halo had a anime so it is plausible.

Ana

Off topic- what's wrong with guilty crown?

Guilty Crown..... I can't really explain it well. Many people would say the main character is a wussy whiner who holds back the entire show.

I can't remember much of it now (been a while since I watched it, which incidentally should tell you something as well), but my impression was that it's a bit like Code Geass. Except where Code Geass embraced the stupidness of all the highschool hijinks and rollerblade mecha, Guilty Crown tries to be more serious about it.

The real problem was that the show didn't really evoke the right emotional reactions to carry it along. The plot is kinda meh (pulling weapons out of people's souls using a special virus) but continues to take itself very seriously. Some of the developments seem pretty left-field too.

I want to say it was bad, because it really felt stupid, but when I have to really describe it, I'd say it's more totally mediocre. I don't think there was a single character I actually liked.

Plus Jak and daxter/rachet and clank were mangas and Halo had a anime so it is plausible.

But were those manga and anime any good? Anyway, I guess it's too soon to tell.

darkslayer13

Enma Katana no Kami
DmC is trying to avoid the anime-like things in Devil May Cry. so it wouldn't really make sense to make a DmC anime.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
Guilty Crown..... I can't really explain it well. Many people would say the main character is a wussy whiner who holds back the entire show.

I can't remember much of it now (been a while since I watched it, which incidentally should tell you something as well), but my impression was that it's a bit like Code Geass. Except where Code Geass embraced the stupidness of all the highschool hijinks and rollerblade mecha, Guilty Crown tries to be more serious about it.

The real problem was that the show didn't really evoke the right emotional reactions to carry it along. The plot is kinda meh (pulling weapons out of people's souls using a special virus) but continues to take itself very seriously. Some of the developments seem pretty left-field too.

I want to say it was bad, because it really felt stupid, but when I have to really describe it, I'd say it's more totally mediocre. I don't think there was a single character I actually liked.

But were those manga and anime any good? Anyway, I guess it's too soon to tell.

Well I've only seen the first six episodes . I like Shu as it is an actual everyman character instead of a generic cardboard cutout. I dont mind his whinyness as the show is still young and he can grow out it. Plus it sells his normal-kid-ness as most of us would probably be like him if we were in his shoes.

The mangas werent but no one knew they existed.

Sieghart

"Plough the lilies"
Guilty crown is much more similar to tengen toppan gurenn lagann.
and about shu's whinyness,it got less because of someone's death.He now got more courage :D

Ana

Guilty crown is much more similar to tengen toppan gurenn lagann.
and about shu's whinyness,it got less because of someone's death.He now got more courage :D

I object. Gurren Lagann was infinitely more awesome. Not to mention the entire atmosphere and spirit of the show is different.

Kamina was amazing. Nia was unparalleled. And Simon stopped whining by episode 9.

Sieghart

"Plough the lilies"
Well both are very awesome in my opinion :D
What i mean in guilty crown becayse..........Damn we got no spoiler tags -_-

Sieghart

"Plough the lilies"
Well i do like both series and they are both very awesome.
But don't worry in my anime forum,there are also people who dislikes guilty crown because of the concept,the story and others things that you mention lol

Edit:I forgot we are very off topic.

Ana

Well i do like both series and they are both very awesome.
But don't worry in my anime forum,there are also people who dislikes guilty crown because of the concept,the story and others things that you mention lol

Edit:I forgot we are very off topic.

I don't dislike it. I thought it was an okay series. I just didn't think it was anything outstanding either. But I love Gurren Lagann a lot, so I object to the comparison.

Well, it's not like there's a lot to say on topic....

CoolDemon

X will never be Y
After all the crap Ninja theory have said about Anime art style, and anime not being functional, and not having "meaning" - anyone watching DmC anime should think again.

DMC was requested to be westernized by Capcom because of Keji Inafune saying japanese game market is dead. And then they did a experiment where i think Keji Inafune said "Let's think of a DMC in a contemporary way".

The whole point of DmC is to appeal to western gamers and giving the finger to anime art style of DMC.

Top Bottom