• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Did Hellsing Influence DMC?

windleopard

The titular character of Space Adventure Cobra has been listed as an inspiration for Dante but did they look to other sources too? Like say, Alucard from Hellsing? Both are inhuman hunters of non-human creatures, they were red coats, wield two large guns (one black, one silver) and show enjoyment of battle and often taunt their enemies.

Lain

Earthbound Immortal
Premium
Dante is honestly a mix of clichés in Japanese media - the red coat, the inhuman white hair and the overly long sword among others. We've seen it all before countless times, hell even Alucard is confirmed to have been based on Vash the Stampede from Trigun.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
So maybe they just had similar sources of inspiration rather than DMC being directly inspired by Hellsing?

berto

I Saw the Devil
Red is the color of the hero or leader in Japan, white hair is for otherworldly properties, divine, infernal, mystical, ethereal, and so on, the sword and guns are so you can shoot and slice enemies. You'll find a lot of red clad heroes in Japan. It's the uniform.

You know, in Japan these are a given, they don't look make those kinds of connections any more than we'd we'd make for between Catman, Catwoman, Black Cat, Black Panther, and El Gato. They're cat characters, that's as far as it goes.

AgentRedgrave

Legendary Devil Hunter
I dunno, I know Alucard was a huge influence on me when I was coming up with my own version of Dracula. So was Gary Oldman's version from the 90's movie.

Top Bottom