• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Devil's Lair?

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
This forum is the first DMC related site I've joined, but searching the net for some other ones I found this Devil's Lair, and from what I gathered, it was fairly well known. It also looks a cool looking place. But it seems pretty dead now.

What happened to it? Was some of you guys a member there?

Gel

When the going gets tough, the tough get going
Premium
It was a very cool, and informative place to chill out and hang out, but it died after DMC4 "crisis" ( and Cat, her owner lost her interest in the franchise.)
They used to compile a lot of official stuff there.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
I see... it's a shame, it really looks like a warming place to hang out in.

Has no one showed interest in reviving it?

Gel

Premium
I don't know, but I guess not.In fact I'm mesmerized Devil's Lair didn't become a 404.
Unless I'm wrong, Cat just played DmC because it was part of the franchise and she wanted to put it there, but she seemed not too enthusiastic about it .Maybe she had enough of DMC...
But I'm seriously grateful to her for the accurate translation of DMC3 manga, DMC4 novel summary and the help she gave me related to the infamous DMC cd drama.

Gel

Premium
I can't say by now, but when I come home from work; I'll check it for you.

lorddemolatron

I think im sort of dimensional traveller lol
Premium
I been member of that mentioned forum too, but well i did join when it started dying and in end Im here.

berto

I Saw the Devil
Devil's Lair actually died because the webmaster got sick of the DmC vs DMC arguments that plagued every single thread. I was a regular there and was pretty much till the very end. It was a huge tragedy because next to the IGN forums that's where you could get the most DMC content. Cat was the first to translate the manga, create subtitles for the anime, that's where the novel was posted for the first time online, and she had almost all of the materials for the games. I remember that's where I posted pics for the DMC4 art book and the interviews that came with the DVD.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
Devil's Lair actually died because the webmaster got sick of the DmC vs DMC arguments that plagued every single thread. I was a regular there and was pretty much till the very end. It was a huge tragedy because next to the IGN forums that's where you could get the most DMC content. Cat was the first to translate the manga, create subtitles for the anime, that's where the novel was posted for the first time online, and she had almost all of the materials for the games. I remember that's where I posted pics for the DMC4 art book and the interviews that came with the DVD.

Dammit, it really does sound cool, I wish I joined it back in the day where Devil May Cry's fandom was still ok.

I also noticed that it organized tournaments, that's cool as sh!t.

Gel

Premium
I got some material you put to download years ago and I remember you decided to put it down since nobody cared about it.( Yes, I was one of those few who downloaded it).
I remember too a lot of "fans" insulted Cat because they didn't like her Anime's subtitles, (which by the way were more accurate than the dubbed official version, where some of the episodes go astray of their original script) or just annoyed her saying she was losing time uploading DMC media, since nobody cared about story, just gameplay and bla, bla , bla...
Sure she suffered a lot with that ****.

WolfOD64

That Guy Who Hates Fox McCloud
Devil'sLair was an extremely popular resource hub for fans of the franchise, and a place that I and many fans remember fondly. Every soundtrack, wallpaper, audio drama and manga scan that many English-speaking fans take for granted now were posted in an abundance on the site, and made it one of the ideal places for a fan to get their DMC fix.

Now, as for the fandom split being one of the main causes for the end of the website's thriving existence, well...from what I remember, the fanbase had already been split from the polarizing reaction to DMC4. As much as a debacle that DmC has created in recent years, I still remember the mountainous hurdle of heated forum threads, where people were tearing the game apart on the sole grounds that "it simply wasn't DMC3". You can imagine the devotion and fanaticism surrounding DMC3 by the time 4 had been announced, and everyone's love for the game had only been basted by things like the now-legendary TrueStyle Tournaments. And after 4 failed to live up to expectations, followed by a few years of neglect leading up to DmC, a lot of Devil'sLair's core members ended up departing.

And whatever half of the website's userbase that still remained was shortened to even smaller nub when DmC came about, leaving the miniscule remnant of people squabbling over minute arguments, which eventually led to Cat and some of the others to abandon the sinking ship that the site had become.

It was a sad end for what could possibly have been the haven for DMC fans, but given how the site's mutation into a festering, half-empty shell of what it used to be, one could argue that it was a necessary death.

I remember too a lot of "fans" insulted Cat because they didn't like her Anime's subtitles, (which by the way were more accurate than the dubbed official version, where some of the episodes go astray of their original script)
As someone who watched the development and fan hype build around the anime's release in the States, I can 100% vouch for this. People blasted Cat with such needless hostility, because she did away with some of the Dub's forced jokes and dumbass puns to stick to the original script. Even someone like me, who didn't care for the anime in ANY form, appreciated the efforts she went to deliver an accurate translation---but everybody was too caught up with "the superioriety of the dub" to give a damn.

berto

I Saw the Devil
Dammit, it really does sound cool, I wish I joined it back in the day where Devil May Cry's fandom was still ok.

I also noticed that it organized tournaments, that's cool as sh!t.
You can get most of the materials from other sources now, like youtube. You aren't missing out on much, so a google search will get you the stuff.

I got some material you put to download years ago and I remember you decided to put it down since nobody cared about it.( Yes, I was one of those few who downloaded it).
I'm glad someone did.
The thing is my computer wasn't sturdy and to seed the materials had me leaving the thing on for long periods of time, which wasn't healthy for it, but no one was downloading it. I think 15 people did and it wasn't worth the toll it was taking on my PC. I don't even remember how much stuff I had in there or what it was but at the time it was pretty much the only place you could find it. I was pretty proud of my little collection.

Top Bottom