• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Devil May Cry Retrospective - The Gaming Brit

berto

I Saw the Devil
I just thought this guy was hysterical and I like his views on the game, mostly because he's a non-fan and it's interesting to see how people percieve DMC in a possitive (sometimes) view after NT had spent the last 2 years tearing it a new ass*&%#.

V

Oldschool DMC fan
He's spot on, I guess.

Although I disagree that DMC3 was so ball-numbingly hard as so many people claim. I honestly didn't find it as "hard" as DMC1 with the ability to replay levels and buy stuff more easily, unless you're talking an initial straight playthrough for the first time with no idea what you're up against. (Even now, with all the weapons and items, in both games, I get killed more often in DMC1 trying a straight playthrough on hard/v hard/DMD. The combat controls are vastly superior in 3, and that helps). And DMC4 Dante being the best Dante? Nah.

But yeah, for someone playing these for the first time in order, and for me who played them out of order and have years of repeat plays to shape opinion, our opinions are much the same.

berto

I Saw the Devil
He's spot on, I guess.

Although I disagree that DMC3 was so ball-numbingly hard as so many people claim. I honestly didn't find it as "hard" as DMC1 with the ability to replay levels and buy stuff more easily, unless you're talking an initial straight playthrough for the first time with no idea what you're up against. (Even now, with all the weapons and items, in both games, I get killed more often in DMC1 trying a straight playthrough on hard/v hard/DMD. The combat controls are vastly superior in 3, and that helps). And DMC4 Dante being the best Dante? Nah.
He was playing the original DMC3 release, not the special edition, which returned normal mode to normal and hard to hard.

DMC3 was horribly hard, it was, as he said, set normal to the Japanese hard.

V

Oldschool DMC fan
Yeah, so was I, I had that version first also. I remember dying a lot first play, sure, but the same happened with DMC1. Maybe I just clicked better with DMC3's controls, then.

I don't have that version now, though and I've no idea where it went or I'd crank it up for a go right now and see.

Edit: Just bought a cheap copy of the original 3 on eBay. Heh. Let's see how tough this mother is.

berto

I Saw the Devil
Yeah, so was I, I had that version first also. I remember dying a lot first play, sure, but the same happened with DMC1. Maybe I just clicked better with DMC3's controls, then.

I don't have that version now, though and I've no idea where it went or I'd crank it up for a go right now and see.

Edit: Just bought a cheap copy of the original 3 on eBay. Heh. Let's see how tough this mother is.
You didn't have to. Hard in the SE was normal on the original release and very hard was hard.

Meg

That was a really awesome video. It was interesting to hear the opinions of someone who never palyed any of the games before. Thanks for sharing. :D

V

Oldschool DMC fan
You didn't have to. Hard in the SE was normal on the original release and very hard was hard.
Aye, I still wanna see how it plays from scratch (I swear I noticed some subtle differences when I first got the SE). And own the same copy I originally did for PS2 with the MH demo. I'm vaguely annoyed it went missing at all...

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
Lol

I like how he couldn't even finish DMC3. Then again it was the original so I guess it's understandable.

Glad I'm not crazy in seeing how DMC4 was like not the freshest DMC ever.

Also lold at how he introduced DmC as a horror fest. Just means that it's a threat. :D

V

Oldschool DMC fan
I must've been seriously oblivious on my first play throughs. I was utterly oblivious to the monumental suckage of DMC2, because I think I went looking for the first one right after I finished it... without knowing it was better. And I was oblivious to how tough 3 is and just kept plugging away. And I was definitely oblivious to how slow Dante is in 1, because the way he runs in comparison to the others (like under water) didn't register or annoy, etc. Most of the stuff people complain about, went over my head first time.

When I got to 4, though...

1583057110.jpg

Autumn

Welcome to my world....
Thanks for introducing me to this guy. I had the same reaction as him when playing DMC4 for the first time.

DAAAAAAAAAANTE!! :w00t:

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
I just thought this guy was hysterical and I like his views on the game, mostly because he's a non-fan and it's interesting to see how people percieve DMC in a possitive (sometimes) view after NT had spent the last 2 years tearing it a new ass*&%#.
EDIT:15:33-15:42 is how i feel about DmC

He thinks DMC 4's Dante is the best HA HA HA HA HA XD

Macabre

Your Friend and Mine
I just thought I'd resurrect this thread seeing as Charlie has managed to crank out his perspective on DmC and put a little capstone on his retrospective.

I'm actually very fond of Charlie Cade. While he might not do the most thorough research on everything he says, his commentary is usually spot on from a gameplay and storytelling perspective. It doesn't hurt that he's genuinely funny and manages to play off his dry monotone delivery and making it compliment his comical moments. I love guys like Jontron, but sometimes the manic style is a little too much.

His Metroid: Other M Analysis is really something to behold too.

berto

I Saw the Devil
I've been waiting for some time for this and it was bloody hila-rioos!

The part with the Dante man crush had me laughin.

Macabre

Your Friend and Mine
I've been waiting for some time for this and it was bloody hila-rioos!

The part with the Dante man crush had me laughin.

I do feel he didn't give DmC adequate credit in some areas, like how it's simplified combat makes the game more enticing for the new generation of gamers who are used to constant hand holding and...well, it made people interested in the franchise again and caused the HD Collection's sales to skyrocket. That's good.

Macabre

Your Friend and Mine
I liked his DMC-DMC4 retrospective video.
Though it was fun, I disagree with his DmC review.

That's cool, what do you think of his other vids? I can recommend Overblood 2, and he's been doing a pretty good Resident Evil 4 Letz play on blip for a while now. He has an interesting perspective on the latter seeing as he lived in Spain for a few years.

ZeroLove

That's cool, what do you think of his other vids? I can recommend Overblood 2, and he's been doing a pretty good Resident Evil 4 Letz play on blip for a while now. He has an interesting perspective on the latter seeing as he lived in Spain for a few years.

I haven't seen them. Probably not going to either.

Top Bottom