• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Devil May Cry Movie: Screen Gems (2011)

KtWtWiS43

Anyone remember when Screen Gems bought the rights to a Devil May Cry movie in 2011 and nothing ever happened? Of course, Screen Gems also pushed out the Resident Evil movies, so maybe it's all for the best that they haven't made a Devil May Cry movie yet. I remember there also being rumblings that it would be modeled after the (2013) reboot, so it makes sense if things got cancelled after CAPCOM decided to point the boat back on track.

Do you guys think Devil May Cry could translate well to the screen? If it was me, I'm kind of split as to whether or not a film series should start with DMC1 like the games did, and have DMC3 be the rich history that we don't have to explain, or literally just start with a DMC3 movie because the story is so damn good. In the end, DMC3 is basically an origin story, so I wonder if a compact trilogy with like a DMC1 / DMC4 + DMC2 mashup / DMC5 finale -- would make a solidly compact trilogy. I've discussed how weak DMC4 and 2 are before, and how story elements can be taken from both to make one solid story. Plus, going into the final chapter of the trilogy with Dante missing in the Underworld would be a killer cliffhanger.

In any case, what games do you think would make sense for a film series to follow?

Also not to turn it into another fan casting, but I really think Garrett Hedlund has the killer charisma, bad boy sex appeal, and most importantly: dramatic chops necessary to pull off a compelling on-screen Dante. And tell me he doesn't have a kind of Reuben Langdon vibe anyway! Look at those blue eyes!

5ce558ec13a9e255664d27913da4a98d.jpg
Garrett+Hedlund+55th+New+York+Film+Festival+xqFLyvI1bCGl.jpg

Okay... discusss........

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
@KtWtWiS43

If I was writing it I'd probably lean towards the Del Toro Hellboy movies. Those are fun adventures with a dark undercurrent which also describes Classic DMC to me.

I'd probably adapt DMC3/1 and do a few original stories in between the two stories. A problem with the classic series is they never figured out what to do with Dante post DMC1. I'd either figure that out for them or just end on a high note with Dante and switch to someone else (lady/nero etc).

I'd probably base his look of this design because its sleek and elegant but not as fussy or dated as his other looks.

Last edited:

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
@Ronin
that's a big step for them (maybe too big). People

Dante and Vergil are tricky to cast because they are identical twins and there's more odds of finding seperate actors to play them than twins. Or we could always cast unknown actors.

or just have one actor play both.

@KtWtWiS43

The anime is the best example of some of the hurdles DMC might face on the big screen. Technically its sound but it lacks a strong character arc for Dante.

Castlevania does this better with it's Netflix anime.

Teal

A self-diagnosed misanthrope
For Dante, I'd choose Jake Abel. For a director, I'd choose someone like Timur Bekmambetov who did Wanted and Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter.

Ronin

Let's rock, baby!
Who to cast Nero, Kyrie, Lady and Trish?

Nero - Jace Norman
Kyrie - Jackie Evancho
Credo - William Moseley

absolitude

the devil is not as black as he painted
i love hedlund, especially his looks in mojave. but his persona is DmC dante, and i love DmC, so it could verilly work for me even if the movie is based on DMC

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
I'm cool with having shoutouts to DmC in the movies. Like if i was basing a film off of the manga, the trailer in the amusement park and his street clothes from DmC are gonna pop up.

Top Bottom