• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Devil May Cry and Christianity

Ronin

Let's rock, baby!
Does the franchise and Christianity mix? Or are there any differences.

What are the differences from...

1) Devil May Cry
- Sparda
- Dante, Vergil, Nero, Trish & Lucia.
- The demons
- Mundus
- Angelos

2) Christianity - The bible
- The real savior - Jesus.
- Satan
- Angels

Sparda's rejected son

For Edenoi!
Premium
Supporter 2014
Devil May Cry 4 was the only game in the series that contained some Christian elements. The DMC3 Manga implied that Dante and Vergil's birth from Eva was akin to Mary's birth of Jesus. Other than that DMC is a mixture of a whole lot of stuff.

Danteredgrave

"I make the angels scream and the devil cry"
devil may cry is often compared to the divine comedy, whose writer and main character was also named Dante, it has elements in common with the game and it was a famous Christian book, still considered a masterpiece nowadays, so I would say yes, DMC has always been connected to Christianity.
have a look at this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ordinary_of_the_Mass Kyrie, Gloria,Credo, Sanctus, Agnus. All those names appear for the first time in DMC 4.
One day I even started to wonder whether Dante's colors were Christian symbols or not, because I've read the divine comedy one year ago, the book is divided in three parts, Hell/purgatory/paradise. After crossing the gate of the purgatory Dante climbs up a staircase which steps are made up with 3 different symbolic colors: first white steps, white stands for innocence and people have to stop sinning when entering the purgatory, then you have the black steps for humbleness/confession and the red steps for hope/love. I found it weird since both old and new Dante have those colors on them...but well after further researches I learned that Dante was only dressed in red because it is a tradition for Japanese heroes so.....I think comparing DMC with Christianity may turn out to be a dangerous thing, DMC obviously draws some of its inspiration from Christianity but it doesn't mean that it is ruled by it, and that we are allowed to pick any suspicious element from DMC and extrapolate subtle meanings from it just because religion says it means something special.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
Well I think its tied to christianity thru its usage of Dante's divine comedy but also because Christianity is a big religion over in the west so they think it could help them gain a western audience.

Danteredgrave

Or maybe religious references are used to heighten the demonic atmosphere. I mean even if religion can be seen as opposed to demonic things (order of the sword in DMC4, Mary in DMC3, loads of films about vampires, demons or other evil creatures killed by clergymen...), both things are linked because of the fight between them. So if there are a lot of holy people that's because they are needed in order to fight a lot of demons/wicked people.

Danteredgrave

Who ****in' cares?
I do care about analyzing DMC, but your answer sounds ambiguous to me, did it mean "to like DMC doesn't imply having specific opinions towards Christianity"? if not...well you've got your answer.

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
well i always thought it was christian all the opera song intro of DMC3 and the names are all from christian poems but the funny thing is Dante doesn't care about religion much

CHAOSBRINGER546

its better to burn out than to fade away
Premium
i think that dmc4 was the only one to really have much info on the game being linked to religion :)

Ronin

Let's rock, baby!
I thought Sparda is a good person to God. I mean Sparda does respect Him, the humans and angels right?

ZeroLove

I thought Sparda is a good person to God. I mean Sparda does respect Him, the humans and angels right?

Why would he? Sparda respected humans and protected them, but I see no reason for him to respect any deity, especially not a deity who did nothing to protect the humans from the demons.

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
Why would he? Sparda respected humans and protected them, but I see no reason for him to respect any deity, especially not a deity who did nothing to protect the humans from the demons.

That's your own opinion since Capocom doesn't have ball in your court :p yet you're trying to prove your point legit so that does that makes you vulgar ?? as you're implying me ? no you're just trying to express your opinion which i respect :) simple math

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
"Listen to him for I am pleased with him." LOL I just made a Bible joke using CHASBRINGER LOL! :p
But seriously CHAOSBRINGER is right. DMC4 was the only game in the series to have and use Christian elements.

So the theme in the intro of DMC 3 isn't orchestral ? and isn't it usually used in churches ?

that's what i used to think plz correct me if am wrong lol i don't really know much about Christianity so plz excuse me if i am wrong :rolleyes:

EDIT: i think the names are off from Christian poems and made by Christians and this game highly has churchly feeling to me

Dante's Stalker

"Outrun this!"
Premium
Supporter 2014
Does the franchise and Christianity mix? Or are there any differences.

What are the differences from...

1) Devil May Cry
- Sparda
- Dante, Vergil, Nero, Trish & Lucia.
- The demons
- Mundus
- Angelos

2) Christianity - The bible
- The real savior - Jesus.
- Satan
- Angels

1.) Sparda:
The infamous swordsman who had his name on every demon tongue in the demon world, also noted to be Mundus's 'favourite' or 'best', either way they were pretty close as they looked at one another as brothers. (don't ask me where I get this info, it's in my notebook of analysing the DMC story so probably got it from the manga/comic/anime) He rebelled against Mundus joining the demon world with the human world and fought for the human race, simply because his soul was at odds with the idea of enslaving people. He seals the demon world with Mundus inside it and resides in the human world, less his full demonic power which was also sealed into the demon world. Sparda ends up with Eva, we know that they fall in love and that the boys are born.
Compared to Christianity's Lucifer:
God's most beautiful angel and most powerful, became proud and vain and wanted to overthrow God's authority, eg. he rebelled against God. Lucifer was cast out of heaven and onto the earth along with the other angels he brainwashed, therefore winning the title of 'fallen angels', where he and his minions have deceived, corrupted and broken people in his bid to condemn their souls along with himself. There was some naughty business going around with the fallen angels and the women of mankind producing hybrids or whatever you want to call them, which is similar to the story of Sparda and Eva (Eva possibly/probably being inspired by Eve, the 'first' woman God made)

2.)Dante & Vergil (I don't really care about the other characters, sorry :p):
The yin and yang of the DMC world, one chose to do good for others, the other chose to do good for himself. Selfless vs greed. Dante sets up shop in the end, eventually becoming as powerful as Sparda or at least as famous as him anyway. His customers find him and he charges them some kind of fee, but for the most part he ends up doing jobs that he doesn't get paid for and just gets himself even deeper in debt. Or, the people he knows gets him into debt. Or both, I guess. He was also hunted by his own kind because he was known as the traitor's son.
Compared to Christianity's Jesus:
Jesus was the most selfless person to ever walk the earth. He came to spread God's word and love to all people, and in doing so He saved many souls and freed many people of demons. He did it for free too, no charge. He didn't have a shop but He went out to find people and people came to find Him to hear what He had on offer. He was also prosecuted for doing what was right. Jesus is God incarnate and He was the first person to carry the Holy Spirit within Him. You could say that Jesus listened and did as His soul told Him too. The difference here is that Dante is the son of Sparda, possibly inspired by Satan, whereas Jesus is God in human form.

3.) The demons, Mundus and Angelos:
To simplify this a bit more, the angelos were pretty much demons since their intention was to rule over mankind and become powerful, that was their aim anyway. Mundus aka The Dark Prince wanted to join the two worlds and rule over it, still not 100% sure why he wanted to do that but yeah.
Compared to the Biblical demons:
Err...well there's definitely some similarities. Some demons in DMC was inspired by the demons mentioned in the Bible, but a lot of them are based off mythology with a twist a la DMC style. The difference is that in reality demons don't care about power or ruling over mankind. All that matters is how many of us they take down with them, at any and every means possible and available to them. A rough example would be Katy Perry - she's pretty, has a good voice, has catchy songs, colourful music videos, comes from a parish family or some other religious background. It's all cover up. She sings about how it's okay to be a lesbian and act on the desires of the flesh (I kissed a girl), how it's hot and cool to wear skimpy clothes and have 'fun' with boys (Starstrukk), and how attractive it would be to fall in love with a demon (the E.T. song). But people are so brainwashed by Satan and his sneaky tricks that most people don't notice, or think they don't care or that there's no harm in it. Anyway, not here to preach, just saying what I've discovered.

Oh, also, Mundus is portrayed as the ruler of his kingdom yet Sparda is stronger than him to defeat him. Mundus is also inspired Lucifer. Because there's just no way Satan could pawn God, else he'd have done it a loooooong time ago.

Biblical angels:
You don't need wings to be Godsent. 'Nuff said.

CHAOSBRINGER546

its better to burn out than to fade away
Premium
"Listen to him for I am pleased with him." LOL I just made a Bible joke using CHASBRINGER LOL! :p
But seriously CHAOSBRINGER is right. DMC4 was the only game in the series to have and use Christian elements.
thanks lol plus to add to the point wich has probaly already been made the order of the sword sounds like a religious cult wich it is in a way lol :)

Top Bottom