• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Devil May Cry 5 - Prequel or Sequel?

Dante47

Though DmC has replaced the original series, it's still widely speculated that Devil May Cry 5 is in production by Capcom. Though it's not confirmed, anything could happen since there is a wide demand for this game to be made. So looking at this hypothetically, where would it take place canonically? Possibly showing Sparda's journey to protect the human world from his fellow brethren? Or showing Dante's encounters after Devil May Cry 2? Or something in between? This thread is for any speculation on the thought.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
Not sure if your talking about DmC being DMC5 or after DMC5. Anywho, I hope a DMC5 takes place after DMC2. I'm interested to what could comes next. Sparda's ledgendary past should stay a ledgend. Making a game out of it would destroy his ledgend status largely. God I hope they don't to decide to make a continuation of DMC4 or an origin story of Nero's past because it would be so unneccessary. I also wouldn't mind they do something with their original plans for DMC4;
dmc4con.jpg

Dante47

What I mean is that if Capcom was going to make a true Devil May Cry 5 (not a reboot like DmC) would it be a prequel or sequel? That's what I'm asking.

Tony_Redgrave

TimeLord Detective
I always wanted a full game inside the demonic world. Show us a bit of how they live there. Is a strict society ruled by the strong or just mindless chaos? Devil May Cry 2 had the perfect excuse to show us a sequel that would go like that but for some reason or other they still prefer going through the usual "bad demons enter earth through a gate, let's close the gate" story.

Especially since DMC2 Dante had (somehow) acquired even his motorcycle inside hell. It would be nice if it turned towards a more rpg-like game, while preserving the battle system as it is. Expand the world. Only "missions" starts to be a bit outdated. I understand that they want us to have a great replay value by making the fighting the most important feature of the game (making automatically the hardest difficulties a new challenge for the good players) but adding more stuff couldn't hurt in my opinion.

Anyway, I don't see it happening, but wishing won't hurt.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
I'd set it after 4 and make it a more personal tale with Dante and the crew.

We'll sort out the canon and the big mysteries, gaining some faith from the fans.

DMC6 will be set after 2.

Weezie

“Kill before killed."
The bottom line about the DMC series: After DMC 1, Capcoms DMC division has failed repeatedly to create a good continuation to the original “Son of Sparda" plot. When I first played DMC 1, I got that Resident Evil eerieness and I loved it! After 1, all was lost, and the Son of Sparda was turned into an Anime Celebrity instead of a true “bad ass demon killing machine" that he is. His power has always been figuratively tainted by superficial “styles" and redundant leveling systems. If they were to make 5 a game between the both, they have to truly come with it because imo, they need a fresh start with a sequel and truly bringing back that lavishly, button mashing and timing demonbutt kicking. No more style switching and over dramatic cut scenes, just brute killing.

darkslayer13

Enma Katana no Kami
It could take place at any time. It would be best if it took place after 2 but if it happens it is most likely to take place in between 4 and 2.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
I would say either between 4 and 2 or after 2. I'm not against prequels since i like young dante more than old dante but the series needs to move forward.

Since DMC4 did the stupid thing off jumping twenty years and wasting the awesomeness that is young dante, we might as well keep moving forward.

plus if they do a dmc5, they gotta show people they care about DMC and start fixing their mistakes so going forward, clearing up plot holes, unanswered questions etc, is the way to go.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
The bottom line about the DMC series: After DMC 1, Capcoms DMC division has failed repeatedly to create a good continuation to the original “Son of Sparda" plot. When I first played DMC 1, I got that Resident Evil eerieness and I loved it! After 1, all was lost, and the Son of Sparda was turned into an Anime Celebrity instead of a true “bad ass demon killing machine" that he is. His power has always been figuratively tainted by superficial “styles" and redundant leveling systems. If they were to make 5 a game between the both, they have to truly come with it because imo, they need a fresh start with a sequel and truly bringing back that lavishly, button mashing and timing demonbutt kicking. No more style switching and over dramatic cut scenes, just brute killing.

^ Pretty much this, but with cool cutscenes. Not too over the top, but cool to watch.

kryptoknight

Unfortunatlly we will probably never see DMC 5, we might not even see DmC 5; but i digress. Dmc holds the title, and that universe is the serise. More than likely if DmC is a flop, Capcom will Megaman The Devil may cry title, and we will be left with naught but fond memories. And there will be no Protomen to stir those fond memories either.

Zarathustra

The Forsaken Offspring of Heaven and Hell
Dunno if any of you have actually covered this or not(had tl;dr syndrome), but the way I see DmC is a reboot in a way where we're looking at the reboot as an alternate universe type setting. Granted, some aspects are still the same, at the same time, it gives a bit more closure on the story...well, making sense. For example, the term nephilim being used as Dante and Vergil's labels in terms of species. Instead of being half-demon/half-human/half-breeds, they are the forsaken offspring of Angels and Demons, children that are shunned by either side simply because of the potential they hold that can overthrow both Heaven and Hell.

Instead of Dante being the usual gothic guy running around slaying demons as a job, he's a thuggish kind of guy with the same sarcasm, but being pulled in to do it because it's his responsibility(and he actually cares). I suspect with the Vergil's Downfall DLC, he will more than likely be going through his own actual storyline where he probably falls to the Underworld, and undergoes his transformation to become the Dark Knight/Dark Angel, Nelo Angelo. And of course, there are speculations on how some of the enemies are personifed, i.e, the Succubus in 'Secret Ingredient', and one of the creatures called 'Nero' later on in the game, where it's rumored it might be DMC 4's Nero BEFORE he attained a human form.

Can't really say this is all true, but logistically, it all makes sense. It's just up to the producers to confirm it.

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
I get some sort of feeling that if they made Devil May Cry 5 it'd be set just after Devil May Cry 4 and before Devil May Cry 2. I don't know if anyone else thinks the same way, that's just how I feel.

Kind of feel like I would want it set after Devil May Cry 2 though.

Top Bottom