• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Devil May Cry 3 MANGA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keaton

Premium
I picked up Code1 Dante, and 2 Virgil at the weekend and they fill in a fair few gaps (such as Sparda being 100% human when he sealed the Demons off, and the battle between Virgil and Dante BEFORE the fights in the Temenagru)...just wondering if anyone else had read them?

Tony_Redgrave

TimeLord Detective
Yup, and I think they rock. I always wanted to know when they met a year before DMC3 started as Dante said to Vergil. It also connects it with DMC1, showing that Dante believed that Vergil was dead before that reunion in the manga. As it should be. I also would have liked to know how Lady decided to go after Arkham in Code 3, but that's not going to happen.

I hope we get a DMC4 manga too. Nero needs some things explained about him. But since we already got the anime a bit before the game I doubt. And that's because the DMC1/2 Novels and DMC3 Manga came out a bit before their respective games. Like DMC Anime did with DMC4. *sigh*

Chaos Raiden

Avid Gamer & Reviewer
The DMC3 manga are great...:) There is supposed to have Code 3 Lady.but was canceled due to copyright problems,meow...:)

Vergilissexy

Wesker's #1 fan!
The manga is alright, but I find some stuff to be bull. How the heck are the twins half-demon if Sparda was full human? Not to mention the twins first encounter was crappy and so undramatic. Ok, Dante thinks Vergil is dead all this time, and they haven't seen each other in like, 10 years. So why the hell do they greet each other like two highschool kids that don't like each other? I know they're half demon but they're still identical twins. They don't have to cry their eyes out and bear hug each other, (Course, that would have been nice) but at least show some kinda of...well, be dramatic. >_>

Dante Redgrave

Son of Sparda
The mangas were canceled due to the artist quitting the project, actually, or at least that's what I read. And nowhere does it suggest that Sparda was a human after sealing the demon realm, I have both released volumes. The reason Dante isn't surprised to see Vergil is most likely a nod to the first novel, which was also mentioned by the anime, so anyone who claims that the first novel has been booted out of continuity is wrong. The manga makes nods, and the anime outright mentions Dante's time as "Tony". In fact, Dante is only surprised in Code 1 when he catches a glimpse of Vergil at the end, and in volume 2, he's not surprised at all to see him. Thus, Dante was NOT under the impression that Vergil was dead. What surprises Dante is Vergil's goals to unleash the demon world upon the Earth.

And the DMC1 novel actually came out AFTER the first game in japan, same with the manga to DMC3. So a novel or manga series dealing with events before DMC4 is not out of possibility, since the Anime does NOTHING to bridge DMC1 and DMC4.

Keaton

Premium
Vergilissexy;80243 said:
The manga is alright, but I find some stuff to be bull. How the heck are the twins half-demon if Sparda was full human? Not to mention the twins first encounter was crappy and so undramatic. Ok, Dante thinks Vergil is dead all this time, and they haven't seen each other in like, 10 years. So why the hell do they greet each other like two highschool kids that don't like each other? I know they're half demon but they're still identical twins. They don't have to cry their eyes out and bear hug each other, (Course, that would have been nice) but at least show some kinda of...well, be dramatic. >_>

Explination time :D

-Sparda was a full Demon with no powers and so appeared human and was treated as one in every sense.

-Dante and Virgil have Sparda and Evas blood, their powers were never sealed away and they are also powered demonicly by their human blood too.

-May have been undramatic their first encounter, but isnt it the same in the DMC3 game? Dante knows that Virgil (if V was a good guy) would have shown himself sooner. The fact that he kept himself hidden from Dante shows D that he has motives menacing. But yeah, coulda been better :D

Vergilissexy

Wesker's #1 fan!
Yes Sparda appeared human, but he wasn't human. Same with the twins, they have a humaniod body, but they're far from just human. And how do they get power from their human blood? I can understand them being protected by their human blood, but not getting power.

As for the encounter, I think 10 years is different from not seeing someone within 1 year. Example: lets say you see your friends like everyday, when you first see em that day your like, "meh, hey." But if you haven't seen each other in a whole week it's like, "Dude! I haven't seen you in like forever!" So the second meeting in DMC3 is more acceptable even though it was still kinda lame.

Dante Redgrave;80650 said:
The mangas were canceled due to the artist quitting the project, actually, or at least that's what I read. And nowhere does it suggest that Sparda was a human after sealing the demon realm, I have both released volumes. The reason Dante isn't surprised to see Vergil is most likely a nod to the first novel, which was also mentioned by the anime, so anyone who claims that the first novel has been booted out of continuity is wrong. The manga makes nods, and the anime outright mentions Dante's time as "Tony". In fact, Dante is only surprised in Code 1 when he catches a glimpse of Vergil at the end, and in volume 2, he's not surprised at all to see him. Thus, Dante was NOT under the impression that Vergil was dead. What surprises Dante is Vergil's goals to unleash the demon world upon the Earth.

And the DMC1 novel actually came out AFTER the first game in japan, same with the manga to DMC3. So a novel or manga series dealing with events before DMC4 is not out of possibility, since the Anime does NOTHING to bridge DMC1 and DMC4.

????Ummmm, In the manga Arkham saids, Sparda died as a human man. And I believe Dante did think Vergil was dead. I forgot who said it, but I think it was the madhatter that said something like, "The brother you thought dead is alive, would you like to see him?" And Dante made a WTF face.

The novel came out first, but part 3 takes place first. Many people dismiss the novels because it was proved wrong in part 3. For example, in the novel some old lady made Dante's guns, but in part 3 he already has them.

As for the anime...I don't even know if it counts or not.

Dante Redgrave

Son of Sparda
Vergilissexy;80659 said:
????Ummmm, In the manga Arkham saids, Sparda died as a human man. And I believe Dante did think Vergil was dead. I forgot who said it, but I think it was the madhatter that said something like, "The brother you thought dead is alive, would you like to see him?" And Dante made a WTF face.

Mad Hatter probably doesn't know the history between them, and Dante was probably wondering how this lowly little demon knew about Vergil more than anything. Really, it's up to personal interpretation, but if you did read the novel, that actually does add a bit to it.

The novel came out first, but part 3 takes place first. Many people dismiss the novels because it was proved wrong in part 3. For example, in the novel some old lady made Dante's guns, but in part 3 he already has them.

DMC3 never said that the novel never happened, and it was never proven wrong, especially since a lot of the novel's info came from the original creator of the series. The novel would have occurred before DMC3, since it was where Dante got the original form of his guns. It's not hard to believe that since then, he's learned some gun-smithing and modified them further, since the DMC2 novel mentions such. Going by an ordered timeline, the events would be Novel(Two or so years before DMC3), Manga(One Year), DMC3.

And the anime was monitored by Capcom, so it stands that any background info presented in the series had to go by them. Since the novel was used as reference(Strawberry sundaes, having gone by the name Tony when he was younger), it stands to conclude that the novels are still a secondary canon source. Primary canon is the games and Capcom, mangas, anime, and Novels are secondary.

Tony_Redgrave

TimeLord Detective
No matter how many times you look at it, the novel and the 3rd game along with its manga cannot exist together.

In my opinion, the novel is a "what if.." situation. Something alternative that could/may have happened but did not.

First of all Dante absolutely thought that Vergil was dead. In fact even in Devil May Cry (I mean the first game) Dante believes that Vergil died along with his mother when he was little. He said so when Griffon died. Dante: "Mundus..his heinous way make me sick. Killing one of his own..like they were nothing. He's the one who took the life of my mother..my brother..for sure......"
Here's the cut-scene too Griffon Dies.

When they changed the whole thing in Devil May Cry 3: Dante's Awakening and the Manga was out, they re-modeled the whole thing. But in the Manga he clearly thought Vergil was dead before their meeting. Why? Here's why.

Proof 01.

This clearly shows that when Dante survived the attack that killed Eva, he thought that he lost both of them. If Dante had took a hint that Vergil escaped that place with Yamato, he would run after him or search for him. They were close brothers before that after all.

Proof 02.

In here we see that Madhater says that Dante in order to tempt him to join them along with Vergil. If as you said, Madhater was a freaking idiot who made false assumptions then Dante wouldn't be the least surprised. After all he wasn't surprised when he heard he had an invitation from Vergil after they had a year to meet, in Devil May Cry 3: Dante's Awakening. Because he knew he was alive, and did not care if he was around or not. If in the manga knew that he was alive, he wouldn't care if Vergil was in the town or not.

Proof 3.

As you can see in here Dante clearly says to Vergil that he thought he was dead. If that's was Dante's idea of being funny instead of the truth then he would say it in the game as well. As he's the guy who likes to say his jokes more than once. For example he always speaks about the bathroom when someone enters his shop:p Therefore, he absolutely thought Vergil was dead before that.

Proof 4.

In the novel, Dante receives his twin Handguns from a female gunsmith. However, in every game their description states that he personally made them. Ebony & Ivory "Dante's personal hand-made customized twin Handguns".

Proof 5.

Gilver used a shotgun to change Dante's attention in the novel. If that was the Vergil we all knew and love, he would have used a Summoned Sword instead. You may say here that he probably wanted to conceal his identity by not using such a "Signature Attack". That cannot be so, since if he had succeeded (which he clearly thought he would) then Dante would have been dead anyway.

Proof 6.

After the novel Dante opens Devil May Cry (the shop). While in Devil May Cry 3: Dante's Awakening, it clearly showed us everything about the shop. How he decided what to do with it, its name, etc.

Proof 7.

Dante's character in the novel. He is dark, stylish, serious and tough. Awesome character, and very close to the image Dante showed in the first Devil May Cry. However in Devil May Cry 3: Dante's Awakening he's just a cocky teenager with attitude (in the beginning). Weird no?

The fact that Capcom worked closely with Anime/Manga/Novels doesn't say Absolutely Nothing to me. The guys contradict themselves infinitely in the Devil May Cry universe. :p

Vergilissexy

Wesker's #1 fan!
^ I could have never explained it that well. Too bad the DMC books arn't like Resident Evil's where they actually make sense (at least the ones I have read.) Tis a shame I can't say the same for the movies.

Dante Redgrave

Son of Sparda
Tony_Redgrave;81054 said:
(snips to get to the point)
The guys contradict themselves infinitely in the Devil May Cry universe. :p

Yeah, that's why you can't say "this shows that this is not canon". If you went by everything that seems not to fit together, that basically says that DMC1 is no longer in continuity, since there are dramatic contrasts between DMC1's origin story and DMC3's. The trouble is that you have multiple teams developing each game, and they all have their own take on it. Hence, there are going to be INTERNAL massive discrepancies. The games themselves don't mesh with the backstory from game to game. DMC1 said it had been twenty years since Dante last saw Vergil, when their mother was murdered. DMC3 says it had been a year since they last met, fighting each other now to the death, like they never really got along. Two contradicting stories in the canon. By your logic, DMC1 is no longer canon, because DMC3 nullified what it said about the backstory. Also, Dante is a wiseass, he would have made cracks about "back from the grave", especially since at the end of the first novel, he's under the implication that he just killed Gilver/Vergil. And you can't use the epilogue saying "that's right after." It's never said how long since the battle with Gilver that takes place, only that it's right before DMC1's opening scene with Trish. As for Gilver, he notes outright that he's not much one for guns, but that "it'll do". That right there was developed further in DMC3 to "he heavily dislikes firearms". It's possible that piecing it together, that failure of the shotgun escalated his distaste for guns.

As to the "He's in town", that partial expression on Dante looks more like "Dude, you're telling me something I already know. Uh DUH, I saw him at the damn mansion!" When they actually meet, Dante doesn't look that surprised to see Vergil.

It seems more like you just wann'a say "novels don't count because I say only the games count". The fact that the anime did reference them means they count for something, plus Kamiya gave the novel's writer all the background on Dante as of DMC1, and the novel did present Dante as somewhat more arrogant and wisecracking than in DMC1, and showed him going through the things that began bringing him away from his younger arrogance. That was the personality set at the time, and DMC3 was raised form that because of fFan reaction to brooding!Dante in DMC2. Further revisions were not from him, so when you get that missing pot of writers, someone is going to outright contradict what was originally written. It's called Retroactive Continuity, adjusting already presented info to further what is redeveloped, but half the time messing up and contradicting what's been established by the original writer/creator/director.

Oh, and in the novel, the guns WERE hand-made, just not by Dante. But it's mention that he's modified them himself repeatedly in the second novel, establishing that he has had a part in further customizing them to his tastes. Thusly, they are hand-made, created for him, and rebuilt many times by him. It never said he made them originally himself in DMC3, but that they are "hand-made" and "his personal weapons". That means Dante and ONLY Dante uses them, and they are his alone, not that he made them. When someone hand makes you a gift, that tends to be your personal object too.

BTW, the RE books make only a bit more sense than the movies, I've read them. They tend to flat out contradict the games many times, especially the later ones.

Tony_Redgrave

TimeLord Detective
Since you've put it that way I will not disagree with you.

Like both of us said, there are multiple contradictions between the games/novel/manga/anime.

Especially about Vergil.

First Game: Vergil wasn't killed when Mundus' minions attacked Sparda's house, but abducted and probably forced into becoming Mundus' Knight. Thus Dante did not see him until their encounter in Mallet Island were Vergil was Nelo Angelo.

First Novel: Vergil wasn't killed when Mundus' minions attacked Sparda's house but escaped. As he grew separately from Dante he developed different beliefs and wanted to open the gate to the Underworld for his own reasons. For some weird reason he conceals his true identity by being Gilver and finally "dies" under the hand of Dante. Dante did not meet Gilver until he came to work with the mercenaries.

Second Game: No mention of Vergil. Thus we can conclude that Capcom wanted to say that Vergil died once and for all in Mallet Island at that point.

Second Novel: Same with the second game.

Third Game: Vergil wasn't killed when Mundus' minions attacked Sparda's house but escaped. As he grew separately from Dante he developed different beliefs and wanted to open the gate to the Underworld in order to receive Sparda's power and maybe do something with it later. Instead of hiding, he challenges Dante openly and proves to be far more superior in strength, having awakened his Devil powers and increased his strength. Dante mentioned that he met Vergil one year before the game. Thus their first encounter after they were little kids could be this year that Dante spoke about.

Manga: Vergil wasn't killed when Mundus' minions attacked Sparda's house but escaped. As he grew separately from Dante he developed different beliefs and wanted to open the gate to the Underworld in order to receive Sparda's power and maybe do something with it later. Vergil appeared to have been traveling and searching all over the world in order to find suitable ways to achieve his goal. Then he met Arkham who shared his knowledge about Sparda's seals, Temme-ni-gru, etc, thus Vergil ended up in the same town that Dante was and they met by "chance". This was their 1st encounter after the attack on their house when they were still kids.

The second thing that contradicts itself partially is Ebony & Ivory's origins.

In the novel they were created by the female gunsmith, especially for Tony (Dante), since Tony had a tendency of destroying guns by overusing them fast. So in the end of the novel Dante receives Ebony & Ivory and continues to modify them to his liking as learned from the second novel.

In the first game we see that Sparda, had two guns almost identical to Ebony & Ivory (though older in design) called Luce & Ombra. Having seen that one can easily say that Dante took a liking for them and developed his own guns by himself while using Luce & Ombra as their base. (I'm not saying that Ebony & Ivory were Luce & Ombra, just that Dante took the idea of designing his own guns from his father's).

However, ever since the first game, the second game, the fourth game and the anime, the one who holds Luce & Ombra is none other than Trish. Weirdo no? Even though their description in the 1st game clearly states that they belonged to Sparda. How could Trish have them in the 1st game. (Although I don't remember her having them inside the game, but she did have them in the official drawings/wallpapers and after that in the next games and in the anime.
One could say that Dante lent them to her, just as he did with the Sparda sword. But it's never stated.

What I'm trying to say is that since the whole Devil May Cry universe is so messed up, one can always end up using his own ways to connect the "facts" that lie around him.

Dante in the anime did admit that he used the name Tony in the past. Also, the Tony the client spoke about, was resembling Dante a lot in both character and appearance. In the novel, it was said that the female gunsmith took a liking to Tony (Dante) due to him resembling her lost son. So one can pick these two and combine them into telling that Capcom continues to accept the novel even now.

Also the anime showed how Trish and Lady met, in its fourth episode. In the fourth game they knew each other pretty well, so one can combine these two as well and say that the anime is canon.
One other may say that that since in the anime Trish had already left Dante for her own reasons it'll be weird for her to return all of a sudden. She clearly did not seem very eager to in the anime, therefore we conclude that Trish stayed with Dante all the time after the 1st game and at least, until the fourth game.

This is why everyone connects everything the way he likes/wants it and there is no "absolute" truth. Except a few things, like Dante defeating Mundus for example.

However let me express my respect for such a nice conversation by delivering you a rep^_^

Vergilissexy

Wesker's #1 fan!
Guess we'll never know the real truth. It's all up to the individual fans desision and what they want to believe.

BTW, the RE books make only a bit more sense than the movies, I've read them. They tend to flat out contradict the games many times, especially the later ones.

That's why I said, "at least the ones i've read." I've only read a couple and skimmed through some others. And from what I saw it made a heck of alot more sense. I also like how it shows what's going through the character's minds. I wish they would have made one for part 4.

Keaton

Premium
^i really hope not, I want more! >.<!

Sadly it happens, which sucks at the beginning of a series that has and has furfilled so much potencial ^__^

Haven

Devil May Cry's a Rockin Baby!
Where can I buy code 1? There's a book shop called waterstones but they don't have devil may cry in the manga part and I don't know any other book shop that'll sell manga, can someone tell me where I can get it.

Keaton

Premium
Haven;82027 said:
Where can I buy code 1? There's a book shop called waterstones but they don't have devil may cry in the manga part and I don't know any other book shop that'll sell manga, can someone tell me where I can get it.

I got mine in Waterstones...if they don;t have it at your local one then you can always order it in.

Code 1 DANTE ISBN:978-1-59816-031-4
Code 2 VIRGIL ISBN: 978-1-59816-558-6

Ask them to order these (check they have the right titles first) and they should come in :D

These will also work in the amazon.co.uk search bar...you may need to remove the dashes first. :)

Sicktress

Artist
I LOVE the books, they were very well drawn, when I first read Book #1 I was wondering why they had to do the whole "save the little girl" route like in the Anime, but it was different, thankfully. Too bad there aren't any more, I was looking for sequels!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom