• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Demon origin names

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ronin

Let's rock, baby!
Anybody know what the demons in all the dmc games mean?

Ex. Cerberus: Hades' 3 headed dog of the underworld

NerosDevil

Shall we dance?
Fauts and Mephistos:
Heinrich Faust is the main character of s drama named "Faust", in which he sells his soul to a devil named Mephistopheles.

The Da3dra

Master Of War
Beowulf is the Geatish hero of the Old English poem of the same name. This poem is famous for being the oldest known piece of English literature. It appears that Beowulf and Geryon had their names switched, as Devil May Cry 3 Beowulf more closely resembles the description of Geryon given in the Divine Comedy, while the legendary Beowulf would be more similar to the Devil May Cry 3 Geryon's rider.

There are some fans who claim that the design for Devil May Cry 3 Beowulf is based on that of Pazuzu, a Sumerian demon.

(btw I googled this and i am bsically copying an pasting what i find)

The Da3dra

Master Of War
In Greek mythology, Geryon is a giant with three bodies joined to one pair of legs. He appears in the Divine Comedy as a bear-armed dragon with a man's face and a scorpion's tail. It appears that Geryon and Beowulf had their names switched, as this description better fits Devil May Cry 3 Beowulf, while Beowulf was a legendary Geatish hero similar to the Devil May Cry 3 Geryon's rider.

A Doppelgänger (lit. "doublewalker" in German) is a ghostly double of a living person, often considered an omen of one's death. They are said to cast no shadow and have no reflection, and are supposed to provide advice to the person they resemble, though this advice is often misleading or malicious.

Leviathan is sea monster mentioned in the Old Testament as a gigantic fish that cannot be killed by man, but at the end of times. God will kill it and the Behemoth, and its flesh will be served to the righteous at a banquet in a tent made from its skin. In Christianity, it is considered to be the demon of Envy, who punishes the corresponding sinners.

The Da3dra

Master Of War
Belial was a fallen angel and one of the Four Crown Princes of Hell (the other three are Satan, Leviathan, and Lucifer).

Baal is Semetic title meaning "master/lord" applied to many local deities which the Hebrews considered demons. The title is also used as part of the name of the Philistine deity Beelzebub. Early demonologists came to regard the multiple uses of the title within the Bible as referring a singular demon, and depicted it as a hybrid of man, cat, and toad.

Dagon was a major god of the Amorites, Philistines, and Phoenicians, and was considered a demon by the Hebrews. It was typically depicted as a man-fish hybrid.

A Rusalka is a type of Slavic ghost which tries to seduce men in order to trick them into drowning.

Echidna was the mother of many monsters in Greek mythology, including Cerberus. This explains her laying the seed-like eggs, as they were her children.

The Da3dra

Master Of War
Arius was a third-century Christian priest who was deemed a heretic due to his assertion that Christ the Son was not eternal, and had not existed before he was begotten.

The Ouroboros is an ancient symbol depicting a dragon or serpent devouring its own tail. It generally symbolizes cyclicality or infinity, and is frequently used in alchemy.

Bolverk is an alias Odin (Norse god) once took while masquerading as a human. Freki and Geri are two wolves that acted as companions to Odin.

The Da3dra

Master Of War
The griffin is a legendary creature with the body of a lion and the head and often wings of an eagle. As the lion was traditionally considered the king of the beasts and the eagle the king of the birds, the griffin was thought to be an especially powerful and majestic creature. Griffins are normally known for guarding treasure. In antiquity it was a symbol of divine power and a guardian of the divine.

Nelo Angelo's name is a misspelling of "Nero Angelo" (lit. "Black Angel" in Italian). This misspelling has been maintained throughout the series.

Unfortunately I have nothing on phantom in DMC1, however Giant spiders are often found in capcom's series Resident Evil

The Da3dra

Master Of War
Here is one last bit of random info for you:

Nero is Italian for "Black". It is also identical to Nelo Angelo's intended name. (Nero Angelo = Black Angel = Vergil)

Vergil = Nero?​

La Vita Nuova, the final scenes name with Nero and Kyrie, is named after a series of poems written by Dante Alighieri about his endless, admiring love for Beatrice.

I hope I've helped you

Sparda™

Daedra...

You could have simply edited your last post and add all the info instead of posting numerous times.

The source of your info is Devil May Cry Wiki.

NerosDevil

Shall we dance?
The Da3dra;128681 said:
Here is one last bit of random info for you:

Nero is Italian for "Black". It is also identical to Nelo Angelo's intended name. (Nero Angelo = Black Angel = Vergil)

Vergil = Nero?​

La Vita Nuova, the final scenes name with Nero and Kyrie, is named after a series of poems written by Dante Alighieri about his endless, admiring love for Beatrice.

I hope I've helped you

Heh, i wrote both of them on the Wiki ^^

The Da3dra

Master Of War
Dante Aseroth;128702 said:
Daedra...

You could have simply edited your last post and add all the info instead of posting numerous times.

The source of your info is Devil May Cry Wiki.

In hind site yeah i coulda edited it and i feel kinda like a jack ass at this point

yeah i know i said

The Da3dra;128674 said:
(btw I googled this and i am bsically copying an pasting what i find)

But I can type it again seeing as how you missed it k? =] (just a joke calm down)

I TYPED "(NAME OF RANDOM DEMON) DEVIL MAY CRY" INTO TO GOOGLE AND IT DIRECTED ME TO THE DEVIL MAY CRY WIKI. I THEN PROCEDED TO COPY AND PASTE THE INFORMATION TO THIS PAGE, AND I SHOULD HAVE EDITED MY FIRST POST BUT I ALREADY POSTED HOW I FEEL ABOUT THAT"
(Save for like 1 thing i think it was phantom)

Happy? =]

NerosDevil;128704 said:
Heh, i wrote both of them on the Wiki ^^

not being an ass, i really am stupid so you'll have to spell it out for me "both of what?"

NerosDevil

Shall we dance?
I wrote BOTH of those facts underneath Nero for the DMC Wiki and alot of info there about Nero. I researched into the Divine Comedy and saw some connection and wrote it down from Kyrie and Nero to Dante and Beatrice. Same with Nero's name meaning, which isn't hard to do.

The Da3dra

Master Of War
I went to normal wiki for the Nero Angelo part. and DMC wiki'd the other so CREDIT GOES TO NEROSDEVIL FOR ORIGINALY POSTING THE INFO I COPIED AND PASTED!! good work seriously im not being an ass. =]

Trish67

Bad a$$ Gunslinger
Pandora was a greek maiden who was sent, as a wedding present, a box containing all the evils of the world. she was warned not to open it. but she did and thus all the world's evils came out of the box.

The Da3dra

Master Of War
Theres a lot of things i really want to read/play/etc. and the divine comedy is one of the things i REALLY REALLY REALLY want to read, i also want to read the satanic bible, i read part of it i just haven't finished it it's really not what you think, all it says more or less is that you should live your life the way you want to with out worrying about god or satan. but now im straying way off topic. I just don't have the extra money to buy the books =[

Trish67;128722 said:
Pandora was a greek maiden who was sent, as a wedding present, a box containing all the evils of the world. she was warned not to open it. but she did and thus all the world's evils came out of the box.

I WIKI'D THIS KAY PEOPLE SO DON"T CRY!!!

The mistranslation of pithos as "box" is usually attributed to the 16th century humanist Erasmus of Rotterdam when he translated Hesiod's tale of Pandora into Latin. Hesiod's pithos refers to a storage jar for oil or grain. Erasmus, however, translated pithos into the Latin word pyxis, meaning "box". The phrase "Pandora's box" has endured ever since. This misconception was further backed by Dante Gabriel Rossetti's painting Pandora.

(it's not a box but actually a grain jar, it has just been mistranslated)

80px-Pithos_Louvre_CA4523.jpg

''Pandora's box'' is the large jar carried by Pandora that contained all the evils of mankind — such as greed, vanity, slander, lying, envy, pining— and the ills upon mankind such as sickness, and finally hope.

After Prometheus' theft of the secret of fire, Zeus ordered Hephaestus to create the woman Pandora as part of the punishment for mankind. Pandora was given many seductive gifts from Aphrodite, Hermes, Charites, and Horae. For fear of additional reprisals, Prometheus warned his brother Epimetheus not to accept any gifts from Zeus, but Epimetheus did not listen, and married Pandora.

(so she wasn't a wedding gift she was the bride)

Pandora had been given a large jar and instructed by Zeus to keep it closed, but she had also been given the gift of curiosity, and ultimately opened it. When she opened it, all of the evils of mankind escaped from the jar, although Pandora was quick enough to close it again and keep one value inside: hope.

You were in the ball park at least

NerosDevil

Shall we dance?
Just go to your local library where you don't have to pay. Even then, go to Wiki and look for Divine Comedy. Read about it about Dante his brother 'virgil' and how Mundus is like Satan in DC.
Read about all the characters and such etc. I wondered what La Vita Nuova meant for a while and decided to have a look, since its a love scene in DMC4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom