• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Definition of a "Real" Devil May Cry game

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
Can anyone tell me the actual definition of a real DMC game? It seems that I've gotten into the argument with this guy who says DmC and DMC2 aren't "real" DMC games. So I ask "Okay, then what is a real DMC game?" He replies, "It's all about speed, and doing stylish combos." If that was the case, then to me by that logic DMC1 really isn't winning any points. DMC1 was good, but I hardly doubt it is better then DMC3 in gameplay style. So I just wanted to ask; what is this definition of a "REAL" DMC game, and how is DMC2 and DmC not any realer then the other DMC's, cause from what I've seen of DmC and played of DMC2, both are pretty DMC styled.

Agility

"Known"
Can anyone tell me the actual definition of a real DMC game? It seems that I've gotten into the argument with this guy who says DmC and DMC2 aren't "real" DMC games. So I ask "Okay, then what is a real DMC game?" He replies, "It's all about speed, and doing stylish combos." If that was the case, then to me by that logic DMC1 really isn't winning any points. DMC1 was good, but I hardly doubt it is better then DMC3 in gameplay style. So I just wanted to ask; what is this definition of a "REAL" DMC game, and how is DMC2 and DmC not any realer then the other DMC's, cause from what I've seen of DmC and played of DMC2, both are pretty DMC styled.

The definition of a real DMC game? Isn't it obvious? Whatever the creator of the series says it is. Not the fans who only liked the stylish combos and speed. If that's the case then Ninja Gaiden is a real DMC game.

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
The definition of a real DMC game? Isn't it obvious? Whatever the creator of the series says it is. Not the fans who only liked the stylish combos and speed. If that's the case then Ninja Gaiden is a real DMC game.

Agreed. A "real" DMC is any of the games that carry the DMC name. People can CONSIDER a game to not be a "real" DMC game, but by definition any game that carries that name is a "real" DMC game.

Capcom could make a DMC game full of cutesy-ness and sugar, but so long as it carries the name, it's DMC.

berto

I Saw the Devil
Well, creator might be too specific since Kamiya and Mikami've never said about any of the sequels. Under such a deffinition it be more appropriate to say "whoever owns the name says what goes." In this case it's Capcom, the corporation, who says what the Devil May Cry name goes on, not Capcom, the creators.

There are people who would argue what determins what a true DMC game. It's a simple question and you'd think it has a simple answer but because people have opinions and we all think ours is the supreme end all truth. Unfortunatly I don't think there is a simple solution with a list of qualifications that can be checked off. There was one before DmC but that's obviously changed quite a bit.

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
This >>
250px-DMC1FrontCover.jpg

darkslayer13

Enma Katana no Kami
A real Devil May Cry game is a game produced by or for Capcom that is stated by Capcom to be part of the Devil May Cry franchise. A fake Devil May Cry game would be a game made without Capcom's approval that claims to be related to Devil May Cry. Devil May Cry 2 is a game made by Capcom as a sequel to the first Devil May Cry game so it fits the definition of a Devil May Cry game. DmC: Devil May Cry is a game made for Capcom by Ninja Theory as Reboot and/or spin-off of the Devil May Cry series so it also fits the definition of a Devil May Cry game.

(Note: the name itself is not a suitable way to determine if something is a real DMC game because content not part of the Devil May Cry franchise could be given that name (not legally in most cases but that doesn't always stop people) and because content not carrying the name Devil May Cry could be created by Capcom as part of the Devil May Cry franchise)

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze

(Note: the name itself is not a suitable way to determine if something is a real DMC game because content not part of the Devil May Cry franchise could be given that name (not legally in most cases but that doesn't always stop people) and because content not carrying the name Devil May Cry could be created by Capcom as part of the Devil May Cry franchise)

If Hideki kamiya makes it i'll buy it anyway !

not that i bother how many lawsuits Capcom issues against kamiya XD

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
If Hideki kamiya makes it i'll buy it anyway !

not that i bother how many lawsuits Capcom issues against kamiya XD

Its not just Kamiya but also PG if Capcom sues them for making a game of one of their licensed games.....PG can go bankrupt. A new development company that only made like 5-7 good games VS a very powerful and wealthy video game company that has been around for many decades......who will win??

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
Its not just Kamiya but also PG if Capcom sues them for making a game of one of their licensed games.....PG can go bankrupt. A new development company that only made like 5-7 good games VS a very powerful and wealthy video game company that has been around for many decades......who will win??

I'm petty sure that DMC(GOTY) game would be like SO Awesome which will eventually pay off all the fines and attorney bullcrap and Capcom would eventually give up and give DMC to where it belongs !!

see problem solved :)

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
I'm petty sure that DMC(GOTY) game would be like SO Awesome which will eventually pay off all the fines and attorney bullcrap and Capcom would eventually give up and give DMC to where it belongs !!

see problem solved :)

Or license that game to make money of PG....why would Capcom give away something that sells. Capcom wants to make money not make the right decisions.

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
Or license that game to make money of PG....why would Capcom give away something that sells. Capcom wants to make money not make the right decisions.

because DmC isn't going to anything more than what DMC4 was...
nothing like spectacular DMC 1

So i'd say they would give up DMC to PG because PG's DMC would be GOTY and the highest grossing games of all time just like GTA 4 !

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!

So i'd say they would give up DMC to PG because PG's DMC would be GOTY and the highest grossing games of all time just like GTA 4 !

.....................when did DmC get into this?....besides that will be the point if PG makes a DMC that sells really great Capcom won't just let them have it otherwise they would've gave Okami, Viewtiful Joe, & GodHand to them already. Capcom would want money the most you can hope is that they have PG make a game for them but not gonna. I doubt PG would want to work for Capcom or Capcom even cared about PG, they looked at PG in terms

Besides looking at PG's/Clover's track record almost all of their games sold poorly and Bayonetta didn't reach 2 mil which is considered below average to most games. Plus they'll need Capcom or some other company to advertise/promote it. Heck even games that appears to be GOTY material (Rising) appeared to have been pushed under the carpet with the announcement of Ground Zeroes plus the game never got as much publicity as DmC. It was "here look at this awesome game out of a dozen other awesome games" and with DmC "oohhh look at this amazing title in its rebooted glory, fans must appreciate this new DMC."

Plus GOTY doesn't equal to quality, it equals to popularity. God of War have won GOTY not DMC or Bayonetta does that make it better?

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
You know, I really do hate when people use sales figures to say a game is good. Just because it sold a lot doesn't mean it's a good game. It just means people like it.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
To answer the topic, it depends on your own definition but every series is flexible since its not that much of a stretch for DMC to have japan, egypt or africa as a location now is it?​

darkslayer13

Enma Katana no Kami
To answer the topic, it depends on your own definition but every series is flexible since its not that much of a stretch for DMC to have japan, egypt or africa as a location now is it?​
1. No, it depends on Capcom's definition. Individual fans do not have the ability to decide if something is or is not Devil May Cry. Fans only have the ability to decide if they like or dislike the fact that something is or is not Devil May Cry.
2. What does the location the game takes place in have to do with anything? No one is suggesting that location is a requirement (each game takes place in a different location anyway including at least one in a real country (the city DMC3 takes place in is somewhere in the US)
3. Egypt is in Africa so including both in your list is redundant.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall

Why bring up DmC? This about the "definition of a DMC game is" Not "Why DmC isn't the definition of a DMC game."

No it won't. Bayonetta wasn't that popular in America, and I doubt that PG would make DMC any popular. If the past DMC's weren't as big, then I doubt PG being involved will do much. Maybe if it was Naughty dogs (inFAMOUS) or Radical Entertainment (Prototype). Hell maybe even Square-Enix.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
1. No, it depends on Capcom's definition. Individual fans do not have the ability to decide if something is or is not Devil May Cry. Fans only have the ability to decide if they like or dislike the fact that something is or is not Devil May Cry.
2. What does the location the game takes place in have to do with anything? No one is suggesting that location is a requirement (each game takes place in a different location anyway including at least one in a real country (the city DMC3 takes place in is somewhere in the US)
3. Egypt is in Africa so including both in your list is redundant.

1. I just meant fans can either accept or disagree with what Capcom defines and vote with their dollar.
2. You could say that European gothic castles and hunting demons is the core of the series but would the series be any less applicable if we expanded on thos parameters.
3. Brain fart. change to south america.

No it won't. Bayonetta wasn't that popular in America, and I doubt that PG would make DMC any popular. If the past DMC's weren't as big, then I doubt PG being involved will do much. Maybe if it was Naughty dogs (inFAMOUS) or Radical Entertainment (Prototype). Hell maybe even Square-Enix.

Wrong company, naughty dog made Uncharted, jak and Daxter and crash bandicoot while Sucker punch made Infamous and Sly cooper.
I dont think they would do it since they could just create a new IP that can fill DMC's shoes and not deal with the hassle of DMC and capcom. Plus they are sony exclusives.
Same with Square enix.

Top Bottom