• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Dantes no killing rule

Status
Not open for further replies.

devil_inside123

The devil in the dark
In the anime i remember it being mebtioned that dante refuses to kill full blooded humans. Its also stated in the wiki. Is this an anime only thing or is it supposed to be a permanent part of his character and people like arius and sanctus dont count due to being demon powered humans?

Carlos

A powerful demon
Xen-Omni 2020
In the anime i remember it being mebtioned that dante refuses to kill full blooded humans. Its also stated in the wiki. Is this an anime only thing or is it supposed to be a permanent part of his character and people like arius and sanctus dont count due to being demon powered humans?
Not really, if you pay attention to Dante's movements, facial expressions - he doesn't really want to kill anyone, really. Especially as the series progressed from DMC1 to DMC5. It was during DMC5, he started to have some sort of empathy towards humans. He's more of a demon hunter, not by choice, but by necessity. He starts out in DMC1, not giving a **** about anyone, but as the story progressed, he started to be urgent in cleansing earth of demons. Humans in general can't compete against Dante or Vergil, so they're not really the main focus of DMC series. It was DMC4, where the story has elements of this idea - especially towards the end of the game. They did it again in DMC5, but instead of the villain wanting more power to glorify his "god" complex (yes, that's basically the story in DMC4) to dominate people on the ground... In DMC5, you actually have a boss that wants the society's "bloodline" by sacrifice (killing humans).

Now, if you pay attention to the DmC: Devil May Cry alternate reality storyline, you'd know that you wouldn't know if Arius and Sanctus don't look like demons. They look like humans, but once they're ****ed, they're gonna change into demon form. Mundus in DmC: Devil May Cry, you wouldn't think he's a demon, until you see the cutscenes and final battle. But if you played DMC1 and DMC3, you'd already know he's a demon. You even fight his spawn. However, I will omit Sanctus from this idea of "oh, he's a demon." Uh, no. Sanctus is a lousy excuse for a boss in DMC4. That's where DMC4 falls apart story-wise.

devil_inside123

The devil in the dark
Not really, if you pay attention to Dante's movements, facial expressions - he doesn't really want to kill anyone, really. Especially as the series progressed from DMC1 to DMC5. It was during DMC5, he started to have some sort of empathy towards humans. He's more of a demon hunter, not by choice, but by necessity. He starts out in DMC1, not giving a **** about anyone, but as the story progressed, he started to be urgent in cleansing earth of demons. Humans in general can't compete against Dante or Vergil, so they're not really the main focus of DMC series. It was DMC4, where the story has elements of this idea - especially towards the end of the game. They did it again in DMC5, but instead of the villain wanting more power to glorify his "god" complex (yes, that's basically the story in DMC4) to dominate people on the ground... In DMC5, you actually have a boss that wants the society's "bloodline" by sacrifice (killing humans).

Now, if you pay attention to the DmC: Devil May Cry alternate reality storyline, you'd know that you wouldn't know if Arius and Sanctus don't look like demons. They look like humans, but once they're ****ed, they're gonna change into demon form. Mundus in DmC: Devil May Cry, you wouldn't think he's a demon, until you see the cutscenes and final battle. But if you played DMC1 and DMC3, you'd already know he's a demon. You even fight his spawn. However, I will omit Sanctus from this idea of "oh, he's a demon." Uh, no. Sanctus is a lousy excuse for a boss in DMC4. That's where DMC4 falls apart story-wise.
I feel you Kinda missed the point of my question. Like say if lady legitimately went around doing evil **** would he kill her despite her being fully human? I think this this is more a question because we never actually see dante fight humans who arent demomically powered. The omly time we do see him fight a regular human in the games is lady and he doesnt kill her, lending credence to this concept but it couldve been because her heart was in the right place. He also doesnt kill arkham. The most human seemimg demon powered human weve seen

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
Its an anime only thing. The games avoid it because he never really fights a regular human villain.

Granted he was a mercenary in the first light novel. You'd assume he would've killed someone along the way. But the novel has been vaguely canonical and I don't think he kills anyone in the novel anyway so its a moot point.

Last edited:

Carlos

A powerful demon
Xen-Omni 2020
I feel you Kinda missed the point of my question. Like say if lady legitimately went around doing evil **** would he kill her despite her being fully human? I think this this is more a question because we never actually see dante fight humans who arent demomically powered. The omly time we do see him fight a regular human in the games is lady and he doesnt kill her, lending credence to this concept but it couldve been because her heart was in the right place. He also doesnt kill arkham. The most human seemimg demon powered human weve seen
Well, we DID fight "humans" in DMC games, which I stated a few times.

DmC: Devil May Cry - Spin-off/Alternate Reality/Reboot storyline. Has demon characters disguising as humans.
DMC1 - Purely demon 100% of the way, aside of Trish, and other side characters.
DMC2 - Arius is final boss and is human, has demonic powers.
DMC3 - Purely demon 90% of the way, aside of Arkham, Vergil, Dante, Lady, etc.
DMC4 - Purely demon 90% of the way, but features humans as part of the story, including Sanctus.
DMC5 - Purely demon 90% of the way, but features humans as part of the story, has villain using humans as sacrifice.

Last edited:

devil_inside123

The devil in the dark
Well, we DID fight "humans" in DMC games, which I stated a few times.

DmC: Devil May Cry - Spin-off/Alternate Reality/Reboot storyline. Has demon characters disguising as humans.
DMC1 - Purely demon 100% of the way, aside of Lady, and other side characters.
DMC2 - Arius is final boss and is human, has demonic powers.
DMC3 - Purely demon 90% of the way, aside of Arkham, Vergil, Dante, Lady, etc.
DMC4 - Purely demon 90% of the way, but features humans as part of the story, including Sanctus.
DMC5 - Purely demon 90% of the way, but features humans as part of the story, has villain using humans as sacrifice.
DmC lore shouldnt be tied to the main timeline in general but even then demons disguising as humans are still demons and every other one you named has demonic powers and has begun to demonify. My question is if dante would kill a 100% human with no demon powers if he saw them as evil or is killing humans totally off limits to him? Since he kinda has a biased towards humans being less evil than demons despite having met humans who became demons that he had to kill

Carlos

A powerful demon
Xen-Omni 2020
DmC lore shouldnt be tied to the main timeline in general but even then demons disguising as humans are still demons and every other one you named has demonic powers and has begun to demonify. My question is if dante would kill a 100% human with no demon powers if he saw them as evil or is killing humans totally off limits to him? Since he kinda has a biased towards humans being less evil than demons despite having met humans who became demons that he had to kill
Yes, if Lady did anger Dante enough. Dante is a laid-back person, so he doesn't take Lady as a threat until later in the game. They were all at the gate of hell, and at that point, he has already understood who Lady is, or was. The story never explicitly spelt out that she's a demon (she was born from a ****ing demon, c'mon now.)

Arkham is demon, even if he doesn't use it outright. He's just one of those pawns in demonic world.

devil_inside123

The devil in the dark
Yes, if Lady did anger Dante enough. Dante is a laid-back person, so he doesn't take Lady as a threat until later in the game. They were all at the gate of hell, and at that point, he has already understood who Lady is, or was. The story never explicitly spelt out that she's a demon (she was born from a ****ing demon, c'mon now.)
Shes not a demon and they go to great lengths to point out the difference between power due to that fact. Dante even tells her its not a human's job and thats why he has to do it not her. Arkham use to be normal and human. But he was corrupted by demonic texts (his book) and after killed his wife. Its why lady could even believe him when he says vergil made him do it. Because she remembered how he was before. Im pretty sure you entered the series through DmC or are young so i wont fault you but you are fatally confused on the story of the original timeline. The entire point of dmc3 was dante becoming more human because of lady, who is a human

Carlos

A powerful demon
Xen-Omni 2020
Shes not a demon and they go to great lengths to point out the difference between power due to that fact. Dante even tells her its not a human's job and thats why he has to do it not her. Arkham use to be normal and human. But he was corrupted by demonic texts (his book) and after killed his wife. Its why lady could even believe him when he says vergil made him do it. Because she remembered how he was before. Im pretty sure you entered the series through DmC or are young so i wont fault you but you are fatally confused on the story of the original timeline. The entire point of dmc3 was dante becoming more human because of lady, who is a human
I'm not confused. I've been playing DMC since the original DMC1. And, no, the point of DMC3 wasn't to "humanize" Dante, they needed a game that would help people forget the garbage DMC2. Arkham, during DMC3 is demon. Not because he's reading the book, but because he became it (demon). It's just he hasn't mastered the power of demonic powers at that point. Vergil even said it when he became "Sparda." If you're demon, and you know how to control the power of Sparda, you'd be ****ing Sparda.

When he fell, he lost his demonic powers to the point of where Lady was able to shoot Arkham in the head. He just manipulated Vergil, to effortlessly get Sparda without having to fight Vergil or Dante, which he would be no match for... so he had to dress up as a ****ed up clown.

devil_inside123

The devil in the dark
I'm not confused. I've been playing DMC since the original DMC1. And, no, the point of DMC3 wasn't to "humanize" Dante, they needed a game that would help people forget the garbage DMC2. Arkham, during DMC3 is demon. Not because he's reading the book, but because he became it (demon). It's just he hasn't mastered the power of demonic powers at that point. Vergil even said it when he became "Sparda." If you're demon, and you know how to control the power of Sparda, you'd be ****ing Sparda.

When he fell, he lost his demonic powers to the point of where Lady was able to shoot Arkham in the head. He just manipulated Vergil, to effortlessly get Sparda without having to fight Vergil or Dante, which he would be no match for... so he had to dress up as a ****ed up clown.
But you know you contradicted your own point right? That you think lady is a demon which is what i was correcting you on. Point is he was born human and had lady as a human. Thus, lady is a human

Carlos

A powerful demon
Xen-Omni 2020
But you know you contradicted your own point right? That you think lady is a demon which is what i was correcting you on. Point is he was born human and had lady as a human. Thus, lady is a human
I still maintain she's demon. She doesn't know it, but Dante does. He just doesn't take her as a threat.

devil_inside123

The devil in the dark
I still maintain she's demon. She doesn't know it, but Dante does. He just doesn't take her as a threat.
Do you have any proof or reason for that claim though? When the game itself explicitly states shes human as has her bio and everything concerning her since? It just seems strange for you to ignore all that for the headcanon of her being a demon

Carlos

A powerful demon
Xen-Omni 2020
Do you have any proof or reason for that claim though? When the game itself explicitly states shes human as has her bio and everything concerning her since? It just seems strange for you to ignore all that for the headcanon of her being a demon
Bios throw people off. It's always been that way. YOU have to interpret the story on your own, and form your own ideas. Let me put it this way: When you bought MGS2, did you think you were gonna play Solid Snake? How surprised were you when you realized you're playing as Raiden? Did you think that you were gonna find out that Vergil is Nero's father? Nah. Neither did I. I was just as surprised as anyone.

That whole "Vergil is Nero's father" has been a rumor since BEFORE DMC4 came out. That's... 10 years. So, don't be surprised that they're withholding stories behind bios, characters, etc. Assume everything is possible.

Last edited:

devil_inside123

The devil in the dark
Bios throw people off. It's always been that way. Let me put it this way: When you bought MGS2, did you think you were gonna play Solid Snake? How surprised were you when you realized you're playing as Raiden? Did you think that you were gonna find out that Vergil is Nero's father? Nah. Neither did I. I was just as surprised as anyone.
You still provide no proof and this is a different situation. Dmc4 pulled a MGS2 but thats the setup to a game. Not the info about the character themself. Based off how much evidence youve given i could say dante was human, vergils an angel, and trish is sparda. Just because i decide. If your going to throw oit such an absurd claim at least do me the mercy of saying why you think that and what evidence you have. Especially when it directly says the opposite in 3 different games

Carlos

A powerful demon
Xen-Omni 2020
You still provide no proof and this is a different situation. Dmc4 pulled a MGS2 but thats the setup to a game. Not the info about the character themself. Based off how much evidence youve given i could say dante was human, vergils an angel, and trish is sparda. Just because i decide. If your going to throw oit such an absurd claim at least do me the mercy of saying why you think that and what evidence you have. Especially when it directly says the opposite in 3 different games
You know what? I don't have to. You gotta figure it out. If you want to go back and forth on how wrong I am, by all means, go for it. That's what makes DMC a series full of mysteries. Lady is demon, and eventually that story is going to turn true. Go back to the game, and look at Lady. What do you see?

Dante isn't 100% human, he's a half-human, half-demon. He's been showing his demonic powers since the first DMC1. There's no question of it. Lady, on the other hand? She hasn't. I could say the same for Trish, but in Trish's case, she DOES have demonic powers. She just doesn't show it enough, or uses it enough. Lady is the same. Only, we've never seen anything beyond her boss battle.

devil_inside123

The devil in the dark
You know what? I don't have to. You gotta figure it out. If you want to go back and forth on how wrong I am, by all means, go for it. That's what makes DMC a series full of mysteries. Lady is demon, and eventually that story is going to turn true. Go back to the game, and look at Lady. What do you see?
Thats not how this works though. You state a claim you provide evidence. Otherwise your just making stuff up. Even theories have evidence to them. Nero being vergils son had hints and moments people could point to to support their point. How ever you dont. If arkham was a human and Kalinna Ann was a human what makes you think a demon could come from that? I mean i even have some things you could use if i wanted to play devils advocate but im not going to help your flimsy headcannon if you cant even support it yourself. Even the creators have stated shes a human. She scars like a human. Has no healing factor or anything that could even point to her being a demon. You even see her struggle when carrying kalinna ann. Theres literally mountains of eveidence that shes a human because it wasnt something we were ever even supposed to question. And they made it evem clearer in 3 to point out the difference in power between demons like dante and humans like lady. She was meant to show us the limits of what a human can do in DMC and show us that no. No human not even one as skilled as lady can stand a candle to dante. She even is visibly exauhsted at multiple point just from climbing the tower

Carlos

A powerful demon
Xen-Omni 2020
Thats not how this works though. You state a claim you provide evidence. Otherwise your just making stuff up. Even theories have evidence to them. Nero being vergils son had hints and moments people could point to to support their point. How ever you dont. If arkham was a human and Kalinna Ann was a human what makes you think a demon could come from that? I mean i even have some things you could use if i wanted to play devils advocate but im not going to help your flimsy headcannon if you cant even support it yourself. Even the creators have stated shes a human. She scars like a human. Has no healing factor or anything that could even point to her being a demon. You even see her struggle when carrying kalinna ann. Theres literally mountains of eveidence that shes a human because it wasnt something we were ever even supposed to question. And they made it evem clearer in 3 to point out the difference in power between demons like dante and humans like lady. She was meant to show us the limits of what a human can do in DMC and show us that no. No human not even one as skilled as lady can stand a candle to dante. She even is visibly exauhsted at multiple point just from climbing the tower
*yawn* "That's not how this works though." Sounds like you're looking for an argument, so I'm gonna block your stupid ass. You want to be a pain in the ass? Go for it. I won't be there for a moderator to slap a warning on your ass eventually. I dealt with people like you who start **** for no reason.

devil_inside123

The devil in the dark
*yawn* "That's not how this works though." Sounds like you're looking for an argument, so I'm gonna block your stupid ass. You want to be a pain in the ass? Go for it. I won't be there for a moderator to slap a warning on your ass eventually. I dealt with people like you who start **** for no reason.
Says the one cursing and making ridiculous claims. I can back up every single thing i say. You cant. Is asking for evidence to a claim to much? Especially when im more than willing to do the same? This doesnt need to be an argument. Your making it one. All im asking is you support your claims and your getting offended because you cant

Carlos

A powerful demon
Xen-Omni 2020
Says the one cursing and making ridiculous claims. I can back up every single thing i say. You cant. Is asking for evidence to a claim to much? Especially when im more than willing to do the same? This doesnt need to be an argument. Your making it one. All im asking is you support your claims and your getting offended because you cant
Im just sick and tired of people going like "That's not how this works." as an excuse to feel good about their claims. At the end of the day each theory is an opinion and you can't take it, so you sidestep the subject and say "That's not how this works." Like I have to bend a knee to you.

Newsflash: Nobody has to. Opinion is opinion. End of story. Don't like it? There's the door, don't let it hit you on your way out. And stop crying about swearing. DMC has swearing, so get in line.

"Mommy, this guy said the eff word. Wah. Mommy!"

****ing hell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom