• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Dante is protector of earth...why? (character analysis)

Jak

i like turtles
Supporter 2014
so, at the end of the main story line, dante proclaims himself protector of earth. thats nice and all. but why? he has no true reasoning for protecting a world that is for better or worse, FREE. so this begs the question: is dante really protecting the earth because he feels strongly that it needs protecting, or is he doing it for some misguided sense of morality?
ok. here's what's bugging me. dante has already accomplished his goal of freeing humanity from the demons, who, now will either die off or be forced to find an alternative energy source. and for all he knows, vergil is either dead or too afraid to fight back. so, what is going on here? imo, dante is suffering from a form of guilt. the source? asses up? like hell if i know. all i can conjure is that he is trying to make up for the current predicament that earth is is. he could be feeling regretful that he free humanity. after all, mundus did say that without his order, people would go back to behaving like the intern--er--um...savages. so, he has to be thinking to himself if he's really only hurt humanity more. another possibility is that the words demonized morgan freeman are echoing through his brain, about how powerful the nephilim really are *insert power/responsibility joke here* and it very well could just be the fact that dante feels like his father could've done something (like classic sparda) and chose not to, thus leading dante to try to make up for the sins of the father. anyways. thats me trying to squeeze the brane juises from my lemon.

Dante's Stalker

"Outrun this!"
Premium
Supporter 2014
:laugh:
Dante decided he was going to protect mankind because Vergil neglected to inform him of the detail that they would be taking Mundus's place. Vergil had him under false pretence. So Dante had been fighting for mankind's freedom, whereas Vergil had his own agenda behind the freedom 'farce' and simply wanted to take over the rule.
Hope that clears it up for you.
Sorry if I just killed the thread. :ninja:

Jak

i like turtles
Supporter 2014
:laugh:
Dante decided he was going to protect mankind because Vergil neglected to inform him of the detail that they would be taking Mundus's place. Vergil had him under false pretence. So Dante had been fighting for mankind's freedom, whereas Vergil had his own agenda behind the freedom 'farce' and simply wanted to take over the rule.
Hope that clears it up for you.
Sorry if I just killed the thread. :ninja:
you didn't kill it...just severely wounded it

reckless_serenade

Because Vergil wasn't totally wrong when he said that humans are fragile and need to be protected.

Part of the human condition is that we exist in an awkward middle-ground regarding morality and empathy. We are a race of individuals and are therefore neither fully compassionate nor totally ruthless—the reason the angels and demons are higher beings is because they are crueler and less forgiving. Mundus' plans were ruined because Sparda, a fellow demon, grew too sympathetic towards human kind.

I think Dante knew that humans are too diverse and divided to unite as a single entity, even against a common threat. Take the original American colonies following the Revolutionary War, for example. They were technically a single country, but the thirteen original colonies all ran their own governments without a unified judicial system or executive branch. Take that analogy and apply it to the entire world—every country's method of fighting the demons and protecting their citizens would differ, and in vying for a position of power—as every country would be—they would inevitably end up stepping on each other's toes. Dante had to step in as the executive branch, in order to unite mankind and fill that position of power; essentially, the world needed a sort of buffer to connect them to the demon world, and Dante acted as that buffer because, after defeating Vergil, he was the only person who could do the job.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Because Dante felt it was his responsibility to keep humanity free from those who would oppress them (eg Mundus, Vergil), and because he now understood that he wasn't the only one who had a difficult life hassled by demons. Kat showed him a lot. It's part of his entire character arc, where Kat helps him to understand that humanity has suffered just as much, if not more than he has, and that because of what he is, he had the power stop it.

It's all a matter of keeping humanity free from oppression, looking out for the little guy, as it were.

Railazel

May I add that Dante used the word "now"? Basically, he's saying he's replacing Vergil as humanity's protector.

Vergil and The Order were humanity's first line of defense and truth. He, like Dante, was given power to help people and he honestly wanted to do that. He wanted to free and protect mankind and he thought that he and Dante taking Mundus' place as rulers would accomplish that.

What's funny is that Dante just put himself above all of humankind by saying he's its protector, he's indirectly admitting that he's not human, something that Vergil has been trying to get him to understand throughout the game. So his later identity loss makes sense since he always thought of himself as human and now he no longer can think like that.

reckless_serenade

What's funny is that Dante just put himself above all of humankind by saying he's its protector, he's indirectly admitting that he's not human, something that Vergil has been trying to get him to understand throughout the game. So his later identity loss makes sense since he always thought of himself as human and now he no longer can think like that.

I can't believe I never realized that! I could never really pinpoint the reason for Dante's identity crisis at the end of the game, and now it aaalll makes sense.

Meier

Yeah to echo above, Dante basically wanted to let humanity be its own protector. He stepped in when possible in basically a way to assist. Its like he's humanity's knight in a way, rather than its ruler. There to serve and protect, but have the decency to not oppress. Kind of like what the police should be, but sadly aren't.

Top Bottom