• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Dante in love?

D-Sparda

Nothing is true, everything is permitted
Tch, yah! Of course he could fall in love for me. Ohhh, you mean with me, right? Well, yeah. We've had this sideline thing going on for a while....y'know... I think he likes me a bit more than I like him, though. I think he's hot. He thinks I'm hot.
OF COURSE HE'S IN LOVE WITH ME!
I've seen the way he's taken my picture to the police station, asking the police if they've seen me and keep an eye out for me because he wants to find me. He's got my love letters plastered all over his desk. You should hear the sound of his voice when I call him. It's like he's PASSIONATELY enraged to hear me.
<--- see username lol

ToCool74

"Fair" DmC Skeptic
Premium
lol at the people who want Dante to fall in love with Trish.

Falling in love with someone who looks like your freaken MOM is pretty darn weird and wrong.

But I do believe he does love her, just not in a sexual way.

I would rather he be with Lucia or Lady.

V

Oldschool DMC fan
Trish might look like his mother, but she isn't. So it's not incest if they did get down to it.

You guys are forgetting this a a story from Japanese developers. It's not seen as quite so weird over there (so I am told) for husbands and boyfriends to have wives or girlfriends that 'mother' them. In fact, wives are sort of considered a 'second mother'. So the whole Dante/Trish thing is just... not that big a deal over there. Sort of an in-joke.

ToCool74

"Fair" DmC Skeptic
Premium
Trish might look like his mother, but she isn't. So it's not incest if they did get down to it.

So you think it is ok to bang someone who looks like your mom?

just because of the fact that she actually isn't?

Sounds pretty darn weird to me, but hey, Believe what you want dude lol.

I just would not get with someone who looks exactly like my mom but with skimpier clothes.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall

I just would not get with someone who looks exactly like my mom but with skimpier clothes.

Oh God...That made my spine shiver a little...>_<

berto

I Saw the Devil

It's not uncommon, or even rare, for people to marry someone who reminds them of their parent. Men who marry women who are similar to their mother and women who marry men who are like their father.

Dante is the opposite. He is in a relationship where the woman who isn't like his mother, just looks the part. Two sides of the same complex. The biggest difference is that most people do it on a subconcious level, Dante doesn't seem to share that trait, he know she looks the part.

Manerism is a huge part of what defines a person as who they are. If Trish's only physicly similar to Eva then the similareties are only skin deep. when she moves and speaks her personality makes the difference.

I still think it's a weird desicion to make Trish in Eva's image but only when I think about the relation in appearence. The idea of Dante and Trish doesn't bother me... Only when I think about the fact the she looks the part.

V

Oldschool DMC fan

I didn't say what I personally thought of it.

But if you're asking my opinion, they're demons. In that case, do bears **** in the woods?

It's implied anyway that Dante wouldn't. Only in that Viewtiful Joe game, which is a joke.

Selutu

Son of Death, Bringer of the dead
He may be in love, but that it would definitely be with either Trish or Lady. But from this point, Trish does seem like the more likely option.

darkslayer13

Enma Katana no Kami
Dante has known Lady for a lot longer and Trish looks exactly like his mom so Lady seems more likely than Trish. The most likely possibility is Lucia. Whatever feelings Lady may have felt for Dante after DMC3 appear to have faded and a relationship with Trish would be to weird but the last time we saw Lucia she was waiting for Dante to return from hell and not enough time has passed for her to lose interest or realize how annoying Dante is when he isn't currently saving the world.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
Well with lady, there is the problem of her growing old and dying if she lives that long and I don't know if Dante would want to go through that or lady would want to put Dante through that.

KtWtWiS43

I'm gunna say Lady.

Sparda sacrificed Lady's ancestor to seal off Teminigru, so I feel like it's only fitting that the violence of their ancestry be resolved with Dante and Lady being together. The dynamic nature of their relationship is so good too. While Trish remains at the Devil May Cry, Lady has the ability to go back and forth, unchained and able to taunt Dante or be his support whenever and wherever she wishes. But because she doesn't live at the Devil May Cry, I feel like Dante's going to end up being closer to Trish, which is the price Lady pays for living on her own.

Apart from the fact that Trish looks like his mother, Trish is always there. She's going to be the one Dante trusts completely and the one who helps him make the tough decisions. Trish is Dante's rock, and essentially his mother figure who he trusts and leans on when things get tough. It's tragic though, no matter how close her and Dante are and no matter how much she loves him, they'll never be together because her face is Eva's. In that way Trish has to be canceled out. I mean Trish knows it and probably hates herself a little for it.

Example: Lady arrives at the office in DMC4, and the second Lady has Dante's attention, Trish walks off with Sparda and steals the show right back from Lady. The two of them are obviously in a subtle turf war for Dante's affections. Trish has the high ground in that she's closer to Dante, but her low point is that their relationship isn't romantic. Lady's low point is that Dante confides more in Trish than her, but she has the high ground in that Dante is captivated by her whenever she walks into his life, and back out again; something Trish seems to emulate in the anime by leaving the Devil May Cry office. Even at the end of the game, when the two are fighting over the money and they both turn to Dante, waiting to see whose side he'll pick. But in true Dante fashion, he isn't gunna pick sides directly between the two. In the end, Dante doesn't protest and Lady still wins, but he still takes back the edge in their romatic relationship by letting her tag along to fight demons, "but don't expect to get paid."

In any case, Lady has my vote. DMC3 is the prime example. In every DMC game, you see Dante change someone. Dante encounters Trish and turns her from the path of evil, Dante keeps Lucia from doubting herself in DMC2, and even Nero in DMC4 is guided and sent on his way by Dante with the token of his trust and goodwill: Yamato, which helps Nero come to terms with his demonic heritage. Dante helps each of these characters by imbuing each with the virtues of his soul: goodness, caring and love. This not only draws them to his side, but makes them better people in the end. Of course who better a foil for Dante than Vergil: The consummate loner who puts value in others so long as he can use them? At any rate it's fair to say that only one special lady affected Dante in the same way he affected her.

In DMC3, in the library, Lady and Dante finally fight. They've been going at it back and forth. Lady is sheer will for revenge and Dante is blinded by his grudge match with Vergil. But after his fight with Lady, her strength passes to him and he realizes something about himself. "At first I didn't give a damn. But because of you, I know what's important now." Lady then gives Dante Kalina Ann, and the will to push forward. Even at the bottom of Teminigru, its Lady's motorcycle that Dante uses to fight his way back to the top. Another example is Dante's words to Vergil in their final battle. "And right now, my soul is saying it wants to stop you!" A line echoed by Lady telling Dante that, "my soul is screaming, demanding me to kill him [Arkham]" Dante even names the Devil May Cry office after Lady comforting him over the loss of Vergil. "Maybe even a devil may cry when he loses a loved one .." And in return, Dante gives Lady the one thing she's desperately searching for: her sense of "self." Rejecting the name Arkham gave her, "Mary," Lady is fighting to rediscover herself and find out if she can even be anyone else. Dante is the one who gives Mary her true name, and true sense of self, just as she instills within him the courage to face his past and become the confidant and responsible man we see in DMC1. Essentially, they both help each other, together. And just as she gives Dante the will to finish Vergil, he gives her the same name she tells her father before she kills him: "My name is Lady."

In the end, it's clear that they grow up together, from punk kids to sexy DMC4 adults. Even though Dante's characterization in DMC4 wasn't exactly as spot on as it should have been. Anyway I tend to go on long rants, but I've had a crush on Lady since I was 13 sooo if that's a reason enough ...

Upon further thought, it's interesting to see how the DMC series uses the giving of items as a metaphor for carrying on with life.

Dante (Name) ---> Lady
Dante (Sparda Sword) ---> Trish
Dante (Yamato) ---> Nero
Dante (Coin) ---> Lucia

and notably the only one to ever give Dante anything, is still Lady:

Lady (Kalina Ann) ---> Dante
Lady (Shop Name) ---> Dante
Lady (Motorcycle) ---> Dante *just kidding he kinda stole it*

but I actually forgot the most important lady who gives something to Dante:

Eva (The Amulet) ---> Dante

anyway, food for thought, be my guests to speculate as you may

seraphmaycry

dante could love somone the only problem being that everyone he knows is a unlikely option

did i mention my avator creates great irony in this thread

Top Bottom