• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Dante (DmC) vs. Nero

Who would win in a battle?

• Dante

Votes: 62 59.6%
  • Nero

Votes: 42 40.4%

• Total voters

Dante Redgrave

Son of Sparda
421936_250818915053442_1684265563_n.jpg
~inserts new quote~
"Yeah, I remember those days...whiney teenagers. At least the new guy isn't angsting over his cardboard cutout waifu every five seconds and having flashbacks to a generic overly cliche anime."

EvilX-81

...I have been playing since the DMC1's friggin Demo came with Code Veronica, and *I* like DmC. I think you need to resort how you see it. Classic DMC was becoming way too anime generic and bland in it's asthetic and plotting. For god's sake, DMC4 was pretty much your cliche anime storyline lifted right out of Bleach and Dante shoehorned in as a guest star. It needed a fresh spin. Not necessarily a reboot, but cobnsidering Morihashi Bingo was one of the main writers for DMC3 and 4, and he kept borrowing HEAVILY from the popular animes and manga at the time he was doing scenario design...they needed someone new.

While I didn't see DMC4 as anime-cliched as you perhaps (but then again I come from the time of annoying invincible girls who can trounce otherwise powerful and skillful protagonists with gigantic mallets just because they are mad... THOSE were horrendous cliches), I did see it as growing a little big for it's britches. Nero and Dante was ridiculously casual cocky throughout the entire game, which might not be so bad was if they weren't practically unbeatable to boot storywise. Nero only lost because Sanctus --the big bad of the game who I should be worried or intimidated by-- was using Kyrie as a shield. And Dante... just f**kin' couldn't be challenged by ANYTHING. And then there's the sequel-bating like a muthaf**ka with not explaining a damned thing about Nero or his arm.

Dante Redgrave

Son of Sparda
Looks like someone doesn't pay attention to plot.:troll:

DMC4: Nero, an unspecified percentage breed Cambion, faces down an old man who is TRYING to become a demon, and is depending on a statue that runs on the blood of Sparda. Space Pope clearly underestimates the blood of Sparda...just like everyone else.

DmC: Dante and Vergil, two Demon/Angel hybrids face a virtual god who controls a layer of reality itself, who is a king of Hell...keeping in mind that Dante and Vergil are ALSO the sons of a Demon king themselves.

While Nero may have the POTENTIAL raw power to fight Mundus, he never reaches that, an dthe most he ever doeas is project his soul as an aura since his Devil trigger is undeveloped. Meanwhile, DmC Dante can warp and ALTER reality around him when he triggers, and that's when he's barely begun to truely tap his demonic heratige. We still have yet to the the powers his angelic side really gives hime as well, same with Vergil.

nightrunner_ks

You are not in control
How was that mean? lol Hes just a joke to me because he killed an video game icon. Well, i do not blame him, i blame Capcom for asking them to do a Devil may cry game and rebooting it, Capcom is just lazy, and why would they go to a small video game company?? The Devil May Cry Franchise is bigger than Ninja Theory...I'm not hating on the game, i think DmC is for people who are new to Devil May Cry. Capcom should continue the old Devil may Cry for people who have been playing that game since day one...

"video game icon"

Please, don't lie.

And while you're at it, cut that entitled attitude. Nero was the first indication that the series needed a reboot. Dante's rushed addition to DMC4 was the final. Anyone with half a brain can see that.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
"video game icon"

Please, don't lie.

And while you're at it, cut that entitled attitude. Nero was the first indication that the series needed a reboot. Dante's rushed addition to DMC4 was the final. Anyone with half a brain can see that.

But Dante was a video game icon...in the fanbase.

To the rest of the world, he was just "that anime final fantasy looking pretty boy who loved looking fabulous and show off everything he's got."

But to the fanbase, he was "a god of a character who was badass with everything he did. Even a sneeze from him would be the most amazing sneeze on the face of the earth.":p

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Y'know...there's always this theory of Nero being "quarter demon" because of the half-demon Vergil getting with a human woman, but what if Nero is "3/4 demon" and Vergil sexed up a demoness or something? Just a thought :x

Either way trying to gauge character power between two different universes is dumb, because they show varying degrees of strength and force - not to mention the inconsistencies in those factors for gameplay reasons. It's like trying to figure out which Final Fantasy character is the strongest, when in some games the characters have defeated Gods, while others haven't, and in some magic is inherent to all people while in others it turns them into demigods themselves. It's really difficult to equally quantify stuff like that.

TheOneGirl

...I have been playing since the DMC1's friggin Demo came with Code Veronica, and *I* like DmC. I think you need to resort how you see it. Classic DMC was becoming way too anime generic and bland in it's asthetic and plotting. For god's sake, DMC4 was pretty much your cliche anime storyline lifted right out of Bleach and Dante shoehorned in as a guest star. It needed a fresh spin. Not necessarily a reboot, but cobnsidering Morihashi Bingo was one of the main writers for DMC3 and 4, and he kept borrowing HEAVILY from the popular animes and manga at the time he was doing scenario design...they needed someone new.
But out of some video game companies..they picked Ninja Theory...Capcom should have made a better choice, and Tameem said he wanted DmC more contemporary to the generation today.....he did a good job doing that..but to have Dante continuously saying F*** You! every second of the game...yeah i liked how the classic DMC was all animated...Why the hell would Capcom and Ninja Theory try to make a game ...REALISTIC...and the classic Dante was cut way before his time..they can still make the new DmC for people who are NEW to the series..and make the classic one for those who were fans for years... You missed my point there...

TheOneGirl

The new Dante is EMO...why is he cutting into his chest to find his heart?... and half of the game doesn't make any sense...but like i said...its a alright game who people who are new to DmC

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
But out of some video game companies..they picked Ninja Theory...Capcom should have made a better choice, and Tameem said he wanted DmC more contemporary to the generation today.....he did a good job doing that..but to have Dante continuously saying F*** You! every second of the game...yeah i liked how the classic DMC was all animated...Why the hell would Capcom and Ninja Theory try to make a game ...REALISTIC...and the classic Dante was cut way before his time..they can still make the new DmC for people who are NEW to the series..and make the classic one for those who were fans for years... You missed my point there...

Simple; they wanted to try something different than what they normally had. They gave the game a contemporary occidental feel, and they went to Ninja Theory because of how they present the stories in their games. Dante wasn't "cut way before his time," he was becoming a cliche when he arrived on the scene back in DMC1 because he was a straight rip of 80s action hero cliches, and was even inspired by an anime character from the 80s.

And c'mon. Dante doesn't say f#ck every second of the game. That's hyperbole. Dante's time swearing in DmC could probably be counted in like a...ten second video, out of a game over ten hours long...

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
The new Dante is EMO...why is he cutting into his chest to find his heart?... and half of the game doesn't make any sense...but like i said...its a alright game who people who are new to DmC

Because, unlike actual retarded emo kids who "cut themselves to feel alive~" Dante actually didn't know who or what he was. He knew he wasn't human, but what was he then? Did he have a heart like a human? Who knew? That's why he did it. When you actually remove the retarded context that overly-dramatic whiny brats with razors have put into it, that aspect of Dante willing to torture himself in order to find out if he really could be thought of as human is an interesting part of his character development - that he actually does care that much about how he fits into things, despite his hedonistic and violent lifestyle choices.

And to most cultures, the heart is a sign of compassion and humanity, that's why it played a role for Dante in questioning what he is, and why in Vergil's Downfall Vergil patched up his disembodied heart and left it the f#ck in Hell when he fell to villainy.

aoshi

And c'mon. Dante doesn't say f#ck every second of the game. That's hyperbole. Dante's time swearing in DmC could probably be counted in like a...ten second video, out of a game over ten hours long...

Really, I mean really you are defending that the game does not have dante swear??????

First, when the swearing was in promos, you defended it saying its once or twice like you counted every instance. Now ,, you are defending even when dante swears at the sight of every demon in the game. I have seen all the cutscenes and every time there is a demon, he goes "f*ck this, f*ck that". That's not a hyperbole but is a fact that dante swears more often in DmC. I don't see why every con in DmC needs to be defended with "oh its exaggerated" or its "antis" speaking. I am getting sick of this.

Dante Redgrave

Son of Sparda

Um, he's NOT cutting into hi's own skin, that's where he got STABBED in a fight, and because he found he was healing faster than a human, he questioned if he WAS human.

Or at least, that's the reaction I got he was having. But it was from a fight he was in, not self inflicted. And he's NOT Emo, he's classic!Punk. If he was Emo, he'd be whining about everything instead of being a rebellious asshat who didn't give a **** about what people thought or about others for teh most part.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Really, I mean really you are defending that the game does not have dante swear??????

First, when the swearing was in promos, you defended it saying its once or twice like you counted every instance. Now ,, you are defending even when dante swears at the sight of every demon in the game. I have seen all the cutscenes and every time there is a demon, he goes "f*ck this, f*ck that". That's not a hyperbole but is a fact that dante swears more often in DmC. I don't see why every con in DmC needs to be defended with "oh its exaggerated" or its "antis" speaking. I am getting sick of this.

Did you...just...skim my post...like...not fully read or comprehend what I wrote? It really seems like you didn't.

Because I was debunking the claim that "Dante swears every second of the game" which very much is a huge exaggeration. I never said he didn't swear at all, I said he didn't swear as much as people seem to believe he does to make the game look bad. Dante's dialogue isn't comprised solely of expletives...it's sure a helluva lot more than classic Dante, but then again, anything is a lot compared to zero.

Dante Redgrave

Son of Sparda
While NT!Dante does have a filthier mouth than Classic, it's not like Dante NVER swore in the oiginal series; his mouth was bile filled in the anime, and he threw out some pg-13 level in DMC4 when he noted that if nero screwed up, he'd have to just "kick his ass".

VineBigBoss

GGXRD <3
Did you...just...skim my post...like...not fully read or comprehend what I wrote? It really seems like you didn't.

Because I was debunking the claim that "Dante swears every second of the game" which very much is a huge exaggeration. I never said he didn't swear at all, I said he didn't swear as much as people seem to believe he does to make the game look bad. Dante's dialogue isn't comprised solely of expletives...it's sure a helluva lot more than classic Dante, but then again, anything is a lot compared to zero.

I don't think it is an "anti" complaining too, so i don't think TWOxACROSS are labeling you, most people who not even played DMC in a decent way before where talking about these swearing of Donte.

EDIT: Most of the "anti" complains (here on this forum) is mainly about the gameplay itself than the story or the characters, even if they don't like the new setting and characters.

I think people really exaggerate on this too, but i think it's mainly because of the first impression of the demo, the result is that you can find these kind of images on the internet:

1343685559449.png

1348521903175.jpg

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
While NT!Dante does have a filthier mouth than Classic, it's not like Dante NVER swore in the oiginal series; his mouth was bile filled in the anime, and he threw out some pg-13 level in DMC4 when he noted that if nero screwed up, he'd have to just "kick his ass".
Dante really let rip in the anime. Called a prison warden a 'pudgy fu-k' because the guy implied he wanted to feel Dante up in that prison:p
And in DMC4, I think he said something about being ****ed off.

From what I can remember with DmC, it was this:

Dante said fu-k you because the Succubus started it. It was more like a school fight in the yard between kids. Seriously, instead of Succubus saying 'you can't kill me, I'm twelve thousand years old'. It should be more like 'you can't kill me, I'm twelve years old' with the way she cusses. :lol:

The other times Dante lets rip with the swears is mostly when he stressed out. I think he says 'fu-k' when he sees Kat get beaten up and dragged away by SWAT. Then the time he gets angry at Lilith because she's messing with him.

And why is no one calling Mundus out on his 'Don't fu-k with a god' line, or the part where he calls Dante a 'piece of ****'....or are the antagonists allowed to swear? :p And while we're on villains, Lilith's got a bit of a potty mouth on her too.

VineBigBoss

GGXRD <3
~inserts new quote~
"Yeah, I remember those days...whiney teenagers. At least the new guy isn't angsting over his cardboard cutout waifu every five seconds and having flashbacks to a generic overly cliche anime."

But still, Nero looks way more tough and insensitive to pain than Donte as i've stated on my first post on this topic and here we can see how much he can endure:

Nephilims don't look this tough on DmC universe, as we can see on the final battle, although we don't know too well how much a Nephilim can endure being constantly wounded like we've already seen Dante and Vergil be in DMC3 for example:

EDIT: The embed doesn't worked well, Donte stabs Vorgil @7:15 on this video.

Lilith is a good example of a demon who dies easily too, she get shoot in the head and dies, while Donte gets shoot by some machinegun bullets (in the same cutscene) and this doesn't seem to wound him too much. We don't have good parameters to say how tough Nephilims are in comparison to half or quarter (?) breeds in the DMC universe. The only thing i can say is what the image i posted as a joke shows to us: Dante is way, way more insensitive and tough than Donte; and demons overall look more tough on the DMC universe (even Arkham who is a human transformed into a demon with demonic power endured be sliced by Vergil).

Dante Redgrave

Son of Sparda
That "insesitivity to pain" is a result of bad writing and a lazy habit I have observed of japanese writers to make their heroes almost totally invincible just to show how "awesome and powerfull" they are, when all it does is make them harder and harder to actually care about because NOTHING can get them down. As a result, I do find Nt!DAnte easier to connect with on that level that Classic Dante; he does come off with a more human element.

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
That "insesitivity to pain" is a result of bad writing and a lazy habit I have observed of japanese writers to make their heroes almost totally invincible just to show how "awesome and powerfull" they are, when all it does is make them harder and harder to actually care about because NOTHING can get them down. As a result, I do find Nt!DAnte easier to connect with on that level that Classic Dante; he does come off with a more human element.
It does seem to be the case that Nero was just written to be insensitve to pain to make him on a level with Dante. Whereas Dante and Vergil in DmC not only have physical pain, but emotinal as well which makes them more human...to me at least.

Having said that about emotional pain in DmC...well, when they did it in DMC4 with Nero and his 'KYRIEEE!' complete with sparkling tears....it just came off as silly.

Top Bottom