• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Dante and Vergil's Personality Tests :)

Do You Think These Tests Are Accurate?

• Yes

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • No

• Maybe

Votes: 6 66.7%
  • There is not enough information about them to accurately test them

• Total voters

MegaMad9

The Mad Man
Lots of people have been pretty tense recently about this game, and since one of my assignments was to take a personality test and write a one page report about it, I figured why not lighten the mood and take the Myers - Briggs personality test as everyone's favorite set of twins: Dante and Vergil. I did the same with their pre-reboot forms as well.​
Note: The links beneath the names give a more thorough description of the personality types. Just copy and paste it into the address bar at the top of your screen.​
Dante (DmC)
ESFP
Extravert(78%) Sensing(81%) Feeling(38%) Perceiving(67)%
  • You have strong preference of Extraversion over Introversion (78%)
  • You have strong preference of Sensing over Intuition (81%)
  • You have moderate preference of Feeling over Thinking (38%)
  • You have distinctive preference of Perceiving over Judging (67%)
Desciption of ESFP http://typelogic.com/esfp.html
Vergil (DmC)
INTJ
Introvert(11%) iNtuitive(75%) iNtuitive Thinking(100%) Judging(78%)
  • You have slight preference of Introversion over Extraversion (11%)
  • You have distinctive preference of Intuition over Sensing (75%)
  • You have strong preference of Thinking over Feeling (100%)
  • You have strong preference of Judging over Perceiving (78%)
Description of INTJ http://typelogic.com/intj.html
Dante (DMC4)
ESFP
Extravert(78%) Sensing(81%) Feeling(38%) Perceiving(67)%
  • You have strong preference of Extraversion over Introversion (78%)
  • You have strong preference of Sensing over Intuition (81%)
  • You have moderate preference of Feeling over Thinking (22%)
  • You have distinctive preference of Perceiving over Judging (67%)
Desciption of ESFP http://typelogic.com/esfp.html
Vergil (DMC3)
INTJ
Introvert(11%) iNtuitive(75%) iNtuitive Thinking(100%) Judging(78%)
  • You have strong preference of Introversion over Extraversion (90%)
  • You have distinctive preference of Intuition over Sensing (75%)
  • You have strong preference of Thinking over Feeling (100%)
Description of INTJ http://typelogic.com/intj.html

Both Dante and Vergil scored the same as their pre-reboot form, though with different percentages. Were you surprised by this, and also, do you think that these tests give accurate depictions of the characters?

Also, if you would like to take the test yourself, here is the link below.
http://www.humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/JTypes1.htm

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
The only thing I'll say is that these tests rely on the tester's perception of themselves, right? So in turn this would need your perception of how Dante and Vergil are, and this might differ with what other people think.
Otherwise- nice! I like doing this kind of thing too from time to time. ^_^

Slacri

I don't think you should've used DMC4 Dante, for consistencies sake you should of used DMC3 Dante as you're using DMC3 Vergil and they're both origin stories.

Disagreeing with these pretty heavily.
You have moderate preference of Feeling over Thinking (22%)
DMC4 Dante acted more on impulse and his feelings rather than any real critical thought or analysis. The feeling over thinking should be higher.
You have strong preference of Thinking over Feeling (100%)
This isn't true at all for Vergil in DMC3. His entire motivations are that he idolizes his father and wasn't able to protect his mother. When Dante suggests that Vergil will never be like Sparda, he attacks him in a fit of rage.

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
I don't think you should've used DMC4 Dante, for consistencies sake you should of used DMC3 Dante as you're using DMC3 Vergil and they're both origin stories.

Disagreeing with these pretty heavily.

DMC4 Dante acted more on impulse and his feelings rather than any real critical thought or analysis. The feeling over thinking should be higher.

This isn't true at all for Vergil in DMC3. His entire motivations are that he idolizes his father and wasn't able to protect his mother. When Dante suggests that Vergil will never be like Sparda, he attacks him in a fit of rage.
That's your opinion of Vergil. These kind of tests rely on the perception of the tester. Just because this is not your opinion of Vergil does not mean that it is wrong. Your opinions are not 'the word of God'.
This is just for a bit of interesting fun.

Slacri

That's your opinion of Vergil. These kind of tests rely on the perception of the tester. Just because this is not your opinion of Vergil does not mean that it is wrong. Your opinions are not 'the word of God'.
This is just for a bit of interesting fun.
Well yeah I know that. I'm not bashing the guy for doing them, I'm just offering my opinion as the thread title even asks what I think.

MegaMad9

The Mad Man
I actually thought about this a lot beforehand, so I'll explain.

In DMC3, Dante is cocky, arrogant, and a showboat. In DMC4, he acts, more or less, exactly the same as in DMC3, so in all honesty, there is no difference between the characters, with a possible exception being a change in the percentages.

Also about Vergil, he is always thinking and very cold and calculating, however, Dante saying, "You will never be like father", is a very serious insult to him. Imagine you lived your whole life, wanting to be exactly like a person, your entire life in their shadow. Now imagine your younger brother, whom you greatly dislike, insultingly claiming that you will never be like that person. I think most people would blow out in a fit of rage right there.

Slacri

I actually thought about this a lot beforehand, so I'll explain.

In DMC3, Dante is cocky, arrogant, and a showboat. In DMC4, he acts, more or less, exactly the same as in DMC3, so in all honesty, there is no difference between the characters, with a possible exception being a change in the percentages.
I feel like he was a bit more reckless in DMC3, even though he's more serious about the whole thing. In DMC4 he kind of treats the situation mostly as a joke. It's a lot more personal for him in DMC3.

Also about Vergil, he is always thinking and very cold and calculating, however, Dante saying, "You will never be like father", is a very serious insult to him. Imagine you lived your whole life, wanting to be exactly like a person, your entire life in their shadow. Now imagine your younger brother, whom you greatly dislike, insultingly claiming that you will never be like that person. I think most people would blow out in a fit of rage right there.
Well yes he's cold, but that's my entire point is that he does show emotion. 100% thinking over feeling I feel like implies Vergil is some kind of robot.

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
Thanks for offering your reasons. I like your insight into the characters. Agreeing with what you say about Dante. It's like they just made an older looking DMC3 personality.

As for Vergil, he is a cold guy, but he does have fits of emotional reaction. Well, the bit about Sparda anyway. For me, Vergil wanted to be like Sparda so that he had some kind of identity, something to relate to because he didn't know his father. So the next best thing is to try and be like him as much as possible. Also the part about having control in his life from when he lost his mother. Getting power gives him that control also the sense that he can protect. But, then he goes off the rails trying to get that power.

Slacri

Thanks for offering your reasons. I like your insight into the characters. Agreeing with what you say about Dante. It's like they just made an older looking DMC3 personality.
I feel like Dante was a bit more rambunctious though. In DMC3 he was riding up massive towers at a 90 degree angle with a motorcycle and beating demons to death with it mid-air. In DMC4 It's mostly just comedy stuff rather than over than the over the top action of DMC3.

I feel like DMC4 Dante was more of him telling the jokes rather than his actions being the joke.

I agree with you on Vergil.

MegaMad9

The Mad Man
Well yes he's cold, but that's my entire point is that he does show emotion. 100% thinking over feeling I feel like implies Vergil is some kind of robot.
I recommend you click this link: http://typelogic.com/intj.html
This is a general overview of Vergil's personality type: INTJ. "100% thinking over feeling" does not literally mean he does not feel, it's about how he makes decisions.

Slacri

I recommend you click this link: http://typelogic.com/intj.html
This is a general overview of Vergil's personality type: INTJ. "100% thinking over feeling" does not literally mean he does not feel, it's about how he makes decisions.
But even then though his decisions don't make logic sense a lot of the time. He's heavily wounded from his fighter with Dante and in pretty bad shape, he doesn't take Dante's hand of help out of pride and a desire to be more like his father in Hell and even when he's in such bad shape he has the bravery to charge straight forward at Mundus despite his poor condition.

If he was an entirely logical decision maker the most logical choice would've been to flee.

Although your link does clear up a lot about how the int 100% score doesn't mean emotionless, I still feel it's a bit too much.

MegaMad9

The Mad Man
But even then though his decisions don't make logic sense a lot of the time. He's heavily wounded from his fighter with Dante and in pretty bad shape, he doesn't take Dante's hand of help out of pride and a desire to be more like his father in Hell and even when he's in such bad shape he has the bravery to charge straight forward at Mundus despite his poor condition.

If he was an entirely logical decision maker the most logical choice would've been to flee.

Although your link does clear up a lot about how the int 100% score doesn't mean emotionless, I still feel it's a bit too much.
Okay well, that would make sense, except for the fact that the developers had to make Vergil do that for the sake of continuity with DMC1.
Also, he did not want Dante's help because he believed that he was stronger and he did not want to admit defeat.

Slacri

Okay well, that would make sense, except for the fact that the developers had to make Vergil do that for the sake of continuity with DMC1.
What? Vergil wasn't even established to want to be like his father or have such a strong sense of pride in DMC1. The only thing that DMC1 establishes is about Vergil is that he's Dante's brother who was corrupted by Mundus and he was an honorable fighter. I also don't see how the writers trying to be consistent makes any difference.
Also, he did not want Dante's help because he believed that he was stronger and he did not want to admit defeat.
Yes, out of pride.

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
What? Vergil wasn't even established to want to be like his father or have such a strong sense of pride in DMC1. The only thing that DMC1 establishes is about Vergil is that he's Dante's brother who was corrupted by Mundus and he was an honorable fighter. I also don't see how the writers trying to be consistent makes any difference.

Yes, out of pride.
Not in DMC1. He was just....there. The whole Vergi falling into hell was out of reference for explain how Vergil became corrupted. Vergil had to fall somehow, face Mundus and be changed by him. That was the way they saw fit to do it to fit in with what was established in DMC1. Plus, you couldn't just introduce him in DMC3 and have him be as boring as he was in DMC1. He had to have a reason to be there and some motivation.

Slacri

Not in DMC1. He was just....there.
Yeah that's what I'm saying. There wasn't much established about him other than him being Dante's brother and honorable. The only thing the writers were really forced to do is have been be corrupted by Mundus somehow.
The whole Vergi falling into hell was out of reference for explain how Vergil became corrupted. Vergil had to fall somehow, face Mundus and be changed by him. That was the way they saw fit to do it to fit in with what was established in DMC1. Plus, you couldn't just introduce him in DMC3 and have him be as boring as he was in DMC1. He had to have a reason to be there and some motivation.
Yes and they could've done it a lot of other ways and chose to do it in a way that established Vergil as a character full of pride who wanted to be like his father. I don't see the problem with that.

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
All I remember with Vergil mostly in DMC3 is this
Vergil: Must have power, must have power. :lol: Like a 'must have power' zombie. Plus the occasianonal Arkham slaying. If he hadn't done it, I would have. That guy was such a sycophant. Might as well have been humping Vergil's leg saying 'make me a demon, make me a demon-- SPARDA IS AWESOME!':lol: He was just so....I have no words.

MegaMad9

The Mad Man

Yes, out of pride.
Alright, my friend, it is clear that we are not seeing eye to eye on this, so I recommend that you take the test yourself, as Vergil, and see what you get. Here's the link: http://www.humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/JTypes1.htm

Slacri

Alright, my friend, it is clear that we are not seeing eye to eye on this, so I recommend that you take the test yourself, as Vergil, and see what you get. Here's the link: http://www.humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/JTypes1.htm
Alright, will do. I'll post my results in a moment.

Here's what I got.
  • You have distinctive preference of Introversion over Extraversion (67%)​
  • You have slight preference of Sensing over Intuition (12%)​
  • You have moderate preference of Thinking over Feeling (38%)​
  • You have strong preference of Judging over Perceiving (78%)​

Last edited by a moderator:

MegaMad9

The Mad Man
Here's what I got.
  • You have distinctive preference of Introversion over Extraversion (67%)
  • You have slight preference of Sensing over Intuition (12%)
  • You have moderate preference of Thinking over Feeling (38%)
I just googled the overview of ISTJ and that sounds like a good description of Vergil, as well. My only gripe would be that Vergil should have much more than 38% in the "Thinking over Feeling" category. But still, it's a pretty good description :)

The only thing I'll say is that these tests rely on the tester's perception of themselves, right? So in turn this would need your perception of how Dante and Vergil are, and this might differ with what other people think.
Otherwise- nice! I like doing this kind of thing too from time to time. ^_^
I tried my best to keep out my own biases, but if you would be so kind, could you take the test as well, as Vergil. I had my younger brother take it, in which he got similar results to my own, Slacri just took it as Vergil and got very different results compared to mine, so if it's not any trouble, could you take it as well? I would like another perspective on this.
Here's the link: http://www.humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/JTypes1.htm

Last edited by a moderator:

WorkenOnMaLeft

As for Vergil, he is a cold guy, but he does have fits of emotional reaction. Well, the bit about Sparda anyway. For me, Vergil wanted to be like Sparda so that he had some kind of identity, something to relate to because he didn't know his father. So the next best thing is to try and be like him as much as possible. Also the part about having control in his life from when he lost his mother. Getting power gives him that control also the sense that he can protect. But, then he goes off the rails trying to get that power.
the way you described that made me realize even more what a tragic character Vergil is...

Top Bottom