• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Could Devil May Cry work as an RPG?

TyrantWayne9999

Golden Saint God of Overlords
Ok, I guess what I should really say is could Capcom make a Spinoff DMC game as in RPG and manage to make it workout?

Action RPG
Strategy RPG
Traditional RPG
Diet RPG (think Mystic Quest and Dragon Quest Swords)
Open World RPG
etc, etc, etc...

Discuss

Also I pick Hot Sauce over Salt and Pepper......

Last edited:

WolfOD64

That Guy Who Hates Fox McCloud
Most, if not all RPG's rely on an invigorating and compelling narrative with reasonably in-depth characters to immerse the player into wanting to experience the game. It's what provokes them to move forward with the story, level up the characters, explore the world, etc.

Doing something like that with Devil May Cry would essentially rely on removing every single element of DMC's nonsenical, anime-esque plot to make the experience even last half an hour. Characters would need to be developed seriously, the plot would have to do away with the series' staple style-over-substance cheese, and Dante's god-tier powers would need to be disposed to even allow the concept of leveling up to prove useful, logical, and applicable to him at all. In essence, making a Devil May Cry RPG would require stripping away literally everything that would make it recognizable as Devil May Cry.

Now, a Devil May Cry spin-off game with RPG elements, in the style of games like Monster Hunter or the Musou games might work...but a full-blown RPG? That would be a laughably unorthodox game that I hope Capcom is smart enough to never even attempt.

xMobilemux

I'll just get right to the ass kicking.
Supporter 2014
Don't like RPGs much, but I've always wanted to play a RPG that has the combat of DMC, so no, don't want DMC to be an RPG, but an RPG with DMCs combat is all good.

Erian1Mortal

Premium
@Erian1Mortal

That's my point though, it should be an action title with more in-depth rpg elements.

I would not have anything against that, but to tell the truth, I don't think that would make much sense with Dante as the main character, same with other RPG variants, he could make cameos or be playable but non customizable party member. But I don't think it makes sense for him to go around collecting loot (besides Devil Arms) and other equipment.
If we're talking skill trees or passive perks for moves and stuff like that, that would be cool I think.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
If we're talking skill trees or passive perks for moves and stuff like that, that would be cool I think.
That's sort of what I was going for. I meant more in the vein of Legend of Zelda and Metroid: upgradable jackets, leather vests, and weapons, but with a limit to them. You upgrade by buying or finding the upgrades themselves over time, just like any other metroidvania/zelda clone.

TyrantWayne9999

Golden Saint God of Overlords
Most, if not all RPG's rely on an invigorating and compelling narrative with reasonably in-depth characters to immerse the player into wanting to experience the game. It's what provokes them to move forward with the story, level up the characters, explore the world, etc.

Doing something like that with Devil May Cry would essentially rely on removing every single element of DMC's nonsenical, anime-esque plot to make the experience even last half an hour. Characters would need to be developed seriously, the plot would have to do away with the series' staple style-over-substance cheese, and Dante's god-tier powers would need to be disposed to even allow the concept of leveling up to prove useful, logical, and applicable to him at all. In essence, making a Devil May Cry RPG would require stripping away literally everything that would make it recognizable as Devil May Cry.

Now, a Devil May Cry spin-off game with RPG elements, in the style of games like Monster Hunter or the Musou games might work...but a full-blown RPG? That would be a laughably unorthodox game that I hope Capcom is smart enough to never even attempt.
Have ya never heard of Soul Nomad and the World Eaters? Gig was an overpowered character and the game tries to encourage you to utilize your own customized characters because relying too much on Gig will ultimately hurt your ability to play through later levels. Also a lot of RPGs have characters with ridiculous power levels (to include Final Fantasy, Disgaea, Shin Megami Tensei, Ys, so on and so forth)....then again....

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
No but RPG-like elements wouldn't be a bad thing to introduce. I thought a weapon crafting system and upgrades would be nice additions to give Devil May Cry some more interesting elements. Let you have more customization options.

WolfOD64

Have ya never heard of Soul Nomad and the World Eaters? Gig was an overpowered character and the game tries to encourage you to utilize your own customized characters because relying too much on Gig will ultimately hurt your ability to play through later levels. Also a lot of RPGs have characters with ridiculous power levels (to include Final Fantasy, Disgaea, Shin Megami Tensei, Ys, so on and so forth)....then again....
It's not just about throwing logic to the wind in order to allow Dante to level up. It's also about making the story engaging enough to be an RPG. Any and all attempts do that with the Devil May Cry lore would be close to impossible.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
Any and all attempts do that with the Devil May Cry lore would be close to impossible.
Well -- I wouldn't say that...

I mean, DMC already has tons of plotholes continuation problems, and story inconsistencies already; who's to say that we can't bend a few more story elements here and there, right?

Especially if some sort of demonic "mishap" made Dante lose all his powers like in the Metroid Prime series (and Infamous 2).

WolfOD64

Well -- I wouldn't say that...

I mean, DMC already has tons of plotholes continuation problems, and story inconsistencies already; who's to say that we can't bend a few more story elements here and there, right?

Especially if some sort of demonic "mishap" made Dante lose all his powers like in the Metroid Prime series (and Infamous 2).
Somehow I doubt that day will ever come. It'll add too much vulnerability to a character like Dante...and nobody seems to be interested in that.

Erian1Mortal

Premium
When I think about it, Immortal main characters worked in Lost Odyssey as far as I can remember, why shouldn't that work with Dante?
Especially if you got a team of different characters.
Hell, let's mix Tales of and Resonance of Fate and you got something crazy XD

And about lore, I think there is enough stuff that's vague enough so that you can delve deeper into it.
I believe it would be possible to create entertaining stories out of it. Could be a few little jobs at the start that spark something bigger.

Gel

When the going gets tough, the tough get going
Premium
Maybe... A good writer can take advantage of all DMC plotholes and turn theories into something plausible.
You just need a good writer.

Top Bottom