• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Command & Conquer creators announce new RTS

Dark Drakan

Admin
2455889-grey_goo__screenshot_07.jpg
Westwood Studios veterans and original creators of the Command & Conquer series now known as Petroglyph have recently announced their new RTS title Grey Goo (yeah the name is awful).
Grey Goo is a new real-time strategy game that blends established gameplay mechanics with modern design and tools. It will draw on the best aspects of base building, unit management, and all-out war in an all new space saga. It promises to remove the frustration often associated with the genre and focus on deep, tactical systems based on classic RTS gameplay. The game will feature three factions: The Beta, Human, and Goo, each with its own strategies and powerful “epic” units that tower over the battlefield, which you can play in either a single-player campaign or competitive multiplayer mode. Grey Goo’s AI, Petroglyph said, is based on real-world Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) concepts, and will make every match unique rather than run off of scripts.

We have a rich, lengthy background as RTS developers, dating all the way back to our time on the original Command & Conquer at Westwood Studios, We want to bring back some of what made those ‘traditional’ RTS games great while addressing all the lessons we've learned along the way.”

Grey Goo will release on PC via Steam this fall

AngelEyes

Dressed To Kill
Oooo.... been a few years since I played any good old Westwood Studios games, or any RTS games >.>

JessenReinhart

This is good, isn't it?
when i heard the title, i thought it would be like an Indie 2D cute little RTS....

it looks awesome though. its been a long time since i've played any RTS games :/

Dark Drakan

Admin
System Requirements

• Minimum:
    • Processor: 3.5 GHz Intel Core i3 Dual Core or equivalent
    • Memory: 4 GB RAM
    • Graphics: 1024 MB DirectX 11 capable video card (GeForce GTX 460 or AMD Radeon HD 5870)
    • DirectX: Version 11
    • Network: Broadband Internet connection
    • Hard Drive: 13 GB available space

• Recommended:
    • Processor: 3 GHz Intel Core i5 Quad Core or equivalent
    • Memory: 8 GB RAM
    • Graphics: 1024 MB Direct3D 11 capable video card (GeForce GTX 570 or AMD Radeon HD 7870)
    • DirectX: Version 11
    • Network: Broadband Internet connection
    • Hard Drive: 13 GB available space

Dark Drakan

Admin
REVIEW SCORE ROUNDUP

The Escapist - 9/10

Grey Goo is, frankly, fantastic. From the opening scenes through the entire narrative thread of the campaign, you'll want to improve your game if only so you can see what happens next as quickly as possible.http://www.escapistmagazine.com/art...rey-Goo-Review-Petroglyph-Games-Gets-it-Right

IncGamers - 9/10

Grey Goo is an extremely well produced game. Fans of classic RTS games should sample the Goo for themselves because it's the best RTS released for quite some time.
http://www.incgamers.com/2015/01/grey-goo-review
PCGamesN - 9/10

It’s the most purely fun, accessible RTS I’ve played in years.

Gaming Trend - 9/10

Grey Goo wildly exceeds all expectations for presentation and gameplay. While there are a few issues with cheating and infinite units in single player, the multiplayer is rock solid.

Game Over Online - 8.5/10

It lacks that final polish games like Starcraft have received where each unit and race has been weighed against every other in terms of cost and utility. Nonetheless, it is a nicely crafted and presented RTS which leans towards the old-school mold.

PC Gamer - 8.2/10

Two very similar factions dull its edge, but Grey Goo’s old-school take on strategy still makes it one of the most interesting new RTS games in years.

Gaming Nexus - 8/10

Grey Goo isn't a paradigm shift but Petroglyph still really know what they're doing when it comes to RTS. They introduce some clever new twists on the formula and tell an intriguing story in the process.
http://www.gamingnexus.com/Article/4688/Grey-Goo/
Hardcore Gamer - 8/10

It’s a testament to sound design when the worst aspect of a video game is indeed its actual title. Even with it, though, Grey Goo is a stand-out RTS that has found an expert way of blending old with new to create something familiar but fresh.
http://www.hardcoregamer.com/2015/02/08/review-grey-goo/133271/
DarkZero - 8/10

Grey Goo is perfect for fans of 90s real-time strategy games and is one of the best RTS games in recent memories not to be called StarCraft II.

http://darkzero.co.uk/game-reviews/grey-goo-pc/
GameSpot - 8/10

One of the best traditional RTS games to hit the PC in a number of years.
http://www.gamespot.com/reviews/grey-goo-review/1900-6416017/
GameWatcher - 8/10

The biggest problem Grey Goo has is that it’s far too hard for what it is, which is a fun Command and Conquer-style RTS.

IGN - 7.6/10

Grey Goo is likely the best traditional RTS not made by Blizzard in the past five years. The cinematic, exciting presentation of the campaign is a big selling point by itself, even if the mission structure and actual scenarios are less than revolutionary.

Dark Drakan

Admin
Shall be purchasing this when my PC is finished in next few weeks as I've wanted a new RTS for ages.

Wajpa

Also Viper339 on Twitch!
Bought it on launch! It's great. The campaign is great, the story is great, the CGI is better than Blizzard's. The balance for the multiplayer seems to be fine but Goo feels a little weak. I wanted to main it but switched to Betas later.

The main problem I have with it is that it feels a little slow. Like, slower than C&C. It might be because I used to be a low diamond SC2 player but it feels kind of weird. I'd stick with SC2 especially since LotV is coming and lets you play without the base game and the first expansion but if you want a little slower RTS it's great.

Dark Drakan

Admin
I do like a more slow paced RTS & was always a fan of the old school C&C games & Age of Empires etc and been some time since I played any RTS titles besides the classics so this looks good way to start with a new title. I'm glad it seems to have done quite well & been received well for first title in a new IP & hope we get a sequel or expansion for it too.

Wajpa

Also Viper339 on Twitch!
I do like a more slow paced RTS & was always a fan of the old school C&C games & Age of Empires etc and been some time since I played any RTS titles besides the classics so this looks good way to start with a new title. I'm glad it seems to have done quite well & been received well for first title in a new IP & hope we get a sequel or expansion for it too.

I don't want to spoil it but the story ends with a cliffhanger so we're most likely going to get a sequel or an expansion especially since it was on the top sellers list for quite a long time when it launched. I'm glad that people are actually still interested in RTS since it's a pretty dead genre.

Dark Drakan

Admin
I don't want to spoil it but the story ends with a cliffhanger so we're most likely going to get a sequel or an expansion especially since it was on the top sellers list for quite a long time when it launched. I'm glad that people are actually still interested in RTS since it's a pretty dead genre.

I'm happy about that as it seems a good solid foundation to build off from what I heard. It's a shame the RTS genre died off from the powerhouse it once was, but I hope it makes a comeback at some point.

Top Bottom