• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Cloaked Vergil, Babby Nero, New Origin Theory

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Ok, just so I don't have to keep posting this in other places, I was thinking about a theory of Nero's origins in light of the new teaser.

While I don't believe Vergil is a daddy, I do think he could have implanted a piece of his soul or something inside a random kid he took. This being Nero. Let me elaborate.

We have any readers in the house? Ever read Harry Potter? If so, I think it's the best comparison. Vergil turned some random child he kidnapped in to basically a Horcrux. You know, like he special items Voldermort used to carry fragments of his soul to resurrect and stay immortal.

Maybe Vergil escaped Mundus's clutches to an extent, however he's not going to survive. In a way to somehow possibly resurrect in the future, he kidnaps a child and implants a piece of his soul within him to use as a vessel. If Mundus was able to trap a piece of Vergil's soul inside his armor to create Nelo Angelo, maybe Vergil figured out how to do the same in a way? He spent a lot of time in libraries reading up on stuff. Maybe this was something he researched?

This would explain a connection Nero has with the Sparda lineage despite not officially being part of the family, but having more connections to Vergil than anyone else. Nero's Devil Trigger is not even like the rest. It's a spectral creature wielding specifically the Yamato.

Plus, wasn't Nero found wrapped in a dark cloak similar to the one Vergil is strolling around in?

There you go. So, what do you think of this theory?

Discuss.

Veloran

But Vergil is Nero's father. We've known this for years. Maybe they could change that, but it would have to be a retcon.

CfQ9Dux.jpg

On the topic of Nero's DT though, am I crazy or is it a bit similar to the Devil Trigger in DMC1? In that game, DTing with a weapon other than Sparda enveloped Dante in a sort of ghostly, Demonic facade that only appeared on attacks, rather than changing him physically. It was very alike to Nero's, except his is more distinct from his body rather than shrouding him completely.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
I can't read Japanese.

Illegitimate "child" then using this theory? Vergil has always struck me as a very asexual character. Why would he be interested in children, and when and how did he get laid?

It's such a stupid thing because it reaks of utter laziness with Capcom doing this as a shortcut to explain the walking plothole that is Nero with yet another way to connect everything to Sparda and his family tree. Something I am seriously tired of seeing when it comes to Devil May Cry.

It makes the whole world just feel small and doesn't do the lore any favors. That's why to be honest, Nero would have nothing to do with Sparda whatsoever if it was up to me.

That's what I'm doing in my D.M.C. AU fanfic.

Veloran

I can't read Japanese.

Illegitimate "child" then using this theory? Vergil has always struck me as a very asexual character. Why would he be interested in children, and when and how did he get laid?

It's such a stupid thing because it reaks of utter laziness with Capcom doing this as a shortcut to explain the walking plothole that is Nero with yet another way to connect everything to Sparda and his family tree. Something I am seriously tired of seeing when it comes to Devil May Cry.

It makes the whole world just feel small and doesn't do the lore any favors. That's why to be honest, Nero would have nothing to do with Sparda whatsoever if it was up to me.

That's what I'm doing in my D.M.C. AU fanfic.
The first underlined... Line, is "Nero", and the second is "Vergil no Musuko", meaning "Vergil's son" or "Son of Vergil".

As for how or why? Who knows. There could be a hundred different reasons why Vergil might bed up, ranging from the boring and mundane to the crazy and fantastical. I do hope they expand on the circumstances with the upcoming Special Edition.

Viper

Premium
I've read first three Harry Potter books and read the spoilers for the ending of the series... does that count? ^^;

While Vergil certainly doesn't hate humans, I don't think he has enough trust in them to use one as a vessel. There was no way for him to know how the results would be, for all he knew the random baby he picked up might have not even develop any powers needed to protect himself from demons, and reducing himself to the level of helplessness akin to that event when he lost his mother would be the opposite of what he is trying to do.

If the focus was off Sparda (like for example it was about Abigail in the anime, or Argosax in DMC2), and his descendants were just accidental heroes, with their personal lives a treat on the side, then making Nero Vergil's son wouldn't make world as small, while the kid would still have a logical background that is relatively easy to write (it's Capcom, let's not give them too much challenge).

ps. Stoic people are not necessarily asexual, in fact asexual people can be quite cheerful and loving. And a lot of them want kids, they just don't feel the need to do the act.
I think a person that craves feeling of power is actually more likely to engage in sexual activity, as the feeling of dominance over a submissive partner, i.e. being on top and leading them through the act, comes real close.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Every king needs an heir
Anyhow, just because we don't see Vergil flirting with girls like Dante. Doesn't make him asexual
Old Vergil's not a king. DmC's incarnation of Vergil however is.

Back on topic: I've always hated this daddy Vergil theory for how much it just sounds like bad fanfiction.

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
While I do agree that Capcom tends to be lazy in their explanations, I lean more toward Nero being Vergil's son than anything; I'm still open to other theories too, though, because some of them have been pretty cool. The "Horcrux" idea does have merit--but like Viper said, it might be too much of a gamble if Vergil just selected some child at random.

But if that child wasn't chosen at random, if he knew something about the child before placing part of his soul into the child? Well, that might be different.

With any luck, they'll answer the questions that Nero's existence has been raising for all these years--and hopefully, they'll do it well.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Well, what if a gamble's all he had because he was dying? Having to act fast. There you go.

And when I say Vergil is asexual, I'm not asking to get all technical because I know how asexual people can be. I just mean in general how that kind of stuff just doesn't seem to be in the cards for Vergil as a character whatsoever. It'll still just come out of absolutely nowhere sounding like bad fanfiction because of Capcom's crap storytelling.

I really hate stories that link everything to one thing just so all their characters can be connected instead of just, you know, developing them. That thing for Devil May Cry is Sparda. Sparda is not a character, but a plot device and go to everything for anything basically.

DMC's "Because reasons"= "Because Sparda".

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
@Chancey289 It's a cool theory.

Its similar to mine which is Vergil stole Nero as a baby because he wanted to deny Nero's birth parents their legacy by having Nero grow up ignorant of his heritage.

Dominus

I mean it's been confirmed that Nero is Vergil's son in the artbook, so probably have to scratch the part about Vergil picking up some random kid. I personally thought that Vergil would not know he had a son, and thus figure out that when he meets Nero for the first time.. But if we go with the whole baby in cloak thing, then he knew and took care of his son, but then I don't know why he would abandon him or drop him off at an orphanage.. That's my problem with the whole baby theory..

They could also go with the pre-DMC4 angle and have a weakened Vergil (after being defeated in DMC1) trying to conceal himself because his yamato breaking in half/plus the whole defeat in DMC1 left him in a weaker state or something... Ugh I need more info..

AgentRedgrave

Legendary Devil Hunter
I mean it's been confirmed that Nero is Vergil's son in the artbook, so probably have to scratch the part about Vergil picking up some random kid. I personally thought that Vergil would not know he had a son, and thus figure out that when he meets Nero for the first time.. But if we go with the whole baby in cloak thing, then he knew and took care of his son, but then I don't know why he would abandon him or drop him off at an orphanage.. That's my problem with the whole baby theory..

They could also go with the pre-DMC4 angle and have a weakened Vergil (after being defeated in DMC1) trying to conceal himself because his yamato breaking in half/plus the whole defeat in DMC1 left him in a weaker state or something... Ugh I need more info..
Maybe Vergil knew he wasn't ideal to raise the kid?

Dominus

Maybe Vergil knew he wasn't ideal to raise the kid?
I think a likely scenario is that maybe the baby was in danger by being associated with Vergil, so Vergil decided for baby Nero's sake to hide his identity by giving him up to an orphanage. But that doesn't seem very Vergil like imo..

AgentRedgrave

Legendary Devil Hunter
I think a likely scenario is that maybe the baby was in danger by being associated with Vergil, so Vergil decided for baby Nero's sake to hide his identity by giving him up to an orphanage. But that doesn't seem very Vergil like imo..
.....Maybe he thought the baby would make him weak?.....Think about it, on one hand Vergil's obsessed with power. But on the other hand....Maybe he loved his newborn son,...but the part of his mind obsessed with power made him believe his love would make him weak. But he couldn't bring himself to abandon/kill the kid. It would be ooc for an honorable warrior like him to kill an infant, especially his own son. Plus like I said, he loved him. So he left him at an orphanage were he thought the baby would be safe, and outta his way.

Top Bottom