• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Capcom can be bought now.

mrrandomlulz

Monsuuuta moonssuta mo mo mo mo monsuuta
Konami is probably my company to go with.
In terms of Capcom being bought. It feels pretty awkward because Capcom games usually have a weird feeling that go with them of "Crazy **** in bound" every time I see they made something.
Even DmC and Resident Evil 4, both designed to be more serious to their predecessors, realized this, and made sure to sprinkle in as much whacky stuff as they could.
The only other company to ever get close to that feeling was Konami with the many gags in the Metal Gear series
Though the thing that really scares me about this is the companies that will most likely be able to afford the IPs.

Whoever gets Resident Evil would slightly bring RE back to it's horror roots, but in the long run treat it as nothing more than their Dead Space.

Any company that gets it's hands on Dead Rising will try to make it more realistic and fail miserably in the fun factor.

No matter where it ends up, DMC isn't gonna live up to it''s predecessors

Street Fighter will be made either too cartoony or too bloody

And we'll never have a "Capcom Vs" game again because of the seperate studios :(

Last edited:

Enigma

Crimson Sentinel
Which is why I have no faith in it anymore. Why care about a series whose track record in stroy is that of an anime for 12 year olds? and gameplay beginning to repeat itself instead of being different from the last? (DMC3 to DMC4 to DmC) It's just another streetfighter with no big difference from game-to-game except with graphics and how you press the buttons.
I decided to come back just this once to ask this...
Why are you saying you 'have no faith in the series anymore', when the series has always been pure bullsh!t story-wise? Each game has had a different story, basically. Did you just figure out yesterday that DMC didn't make sense? I thought that has been clear since... well... DMC2. Barring that, DMC3.
Why say ''why care about a series whose track record in story is that of an anime for twelve-year-olds''? You haven't been here that long, I think, but you were here before DmC. So... did you just decide to join a forum dedicated to a game series you don't like? How does that work? If you found the games to only be nice for children, why did you play them? Sorry if my question sounds aggressive or anything... I'm just confused by this.

Also, there's nothing wrong with the DMC games' stories in terms of how adult they are. DMC3 and DMC4 were enjoyable; I could be 22, or frickin 40 for that matter, I would still enjoy them and find they're suited to adults. Just because there's no bare boobs, not too much cursing, and because the characters are not dressed 'normally' or act 'normally' (in a western style), that doesn't mean the games are not adult. Anime-like? I suppose. For twelve-year-olds? I don't see why. Please don't bring DMC4's love story into the debate again - DMC has never been quite like that, and even if DMC4's love story is mushy, who cares? That doesn't mean it's not adult, or that DMC4's entire story is suddenly cr*p. I actually don't find DmC's story to be any better or less childish than those of the previous games. I mean, it's just the old 'Illuminati conspiracy theory' bull all over again. The kind of stuff you find teenagers spouting on Facebook or whatever. It's something that takes no time to think of. I'm not saying DmC's story doesn't have any redeeming qualities, because it certainly does. But there's just not much objectively wrong with the DMCs' stories aside from the fact that, as a series, they clash with each other.

''Gameplay beginning to repeat itself?'' In some ways, but not quite in others, so this statement is far too general. DMC3 made huge improvements over DMC2 in combo potential, among other things. DMC4 introduced on-the-fly style switching and the Devil Bringer (granted, it could've worked more in tandem with Nero's other skills).
DmC's gameplay was basically the same as DMC4's, that's true. So... the main problem I see here is Ninja Theory's reluctance/fear of trying something new in the gameplay department.

As for the topic, Nintendo can take them over, but that might result in kiddy games. I've had enough of Capcom. They haven't been the same since... I don't know... when most of their best staff left in the late '90s? If possible, I hope they split to form new development companies. Then maybe one of their offshoots can turn their sh!t around and make quality games again, like the old Street Fighters and Resident Evils.

Last edited:

The Final Offer

So... the main problem I see here is Ninja Theory's reluctance/fear of trying something new in the gameplay department.

Um...what?

Malice. Weapon switching. No creativity restrictions. To name a few.

If it didn't have the combat system of the previous Devil May Crys then it wouldn't have what made Devil May Cry great in the first place. On top of that, it was Capcom themselves that were doing most of the work on the gameplay.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
I would say Nintendo has the most to gain from buying them out because they now get a bunch of IPs that can appeal to a older demographic and get that demographic into WiiUs but that could totally backfire.

Sieghart

"Plough the lilies"
If that doesn't matter at all then why is it a thing consistently discussed in this forum?

Oh is it? The last time i visited the DmC section was last year and if i remember correctly people are more discussing of how Dante's characterization would be in the new game rather than the story itself.

I'm not a fan of a game developer who keeps trying to recreate the same game over and over.​

You should totally say that to fromsoftware.

Enigma

Crimson Sentinel
Um...what?

Malice. Weapon switching. No creativity restrictions. To name a few.

If it didn't have the combat system of the previous Devil May Crys then it wouldn't have what made Devil May Cry great in the first place. On top of that, it was Capcom themselves that were doing most of the work on the gameplay.
- Uuh... weapon switching was also possible in DMC4. You could switch between all of them. DMC3 and previous games also allowed it, to a lesser extent.
- Malice can't really be called a gameplay mechanic, I think. It's not something your character can do or has any influence on. It's just a visual gimmick of the world warping around you at set times (similar to a QTE), killing you if you move too slowly. Call that an amazing gameplay mechanic if you like, but it's not. Even if it were, it's just one fairly irrelevant feature. You could just as easily cut it out of the game, and it would not change the game fundamentally.
- ''No creativity restrictions''? Don't know what you mean by that. DmC restricted creativity many times by telling you to hit the blue enemy with an angel weapon, and to hit the red enemy with a demon weapon. It forced you to fight aerially in Devil Trigger. It forced platforming sections upon you. In-game cutscenes, too. I'm sure I could go on, but you get the picture.
Also, are you implying previous DMC games restricted creativity more than DmC? Because DMC4 let you use all styles and weapons. As far as I know, you can do as much in DMC4 as you can in DmC. Maybe you missed something.

No, I'm positive people have said on this forum that Ninja Theory worked on the gameplay the most. I thought Capcom did, but people from the 'pro DmC side' have been telling me NT did most of the work (with just a little bit of help from Capcom), so you're wrong about that. Unless they've been lying to me for some reason.
Not really relevant which of the two companies is responsible anyway... DmC just didn't do much that DMC4 hadn't already done.

Last edited:

xMobilemux

I'll just get right to the ass kicking.
Supporter 2014
DMCs story is a secondary, story fans need to understand that, it's not what made the series known or why the series is still known and loved, you can love it and discuss it, but it is NOT the franchises power. Even the worst stories in the world can be loved and discussed.
The gameplay is one of those "If it ain't broke, don't fix it", whoever was in charge of DmCs gameplay, Capcom or NT, tried to fix it and ended up breaking it, the gameplay in DmC was dumbed down and restricted.
The reason why Platinum Games is the best place for DMC to go is because they are pretty much the only ones who can do DMC justice since the internal team at Capcom has very poor management and pretty much no one else in the industry knows the fast paced, anime style like Platinum does, which is exactly what DMC is.
Platinum doesn't need Devil May Cry, Devil May Cry needs Platinum.
Platinum won't do anything new to DMCs lore and will probably just muck it up, but most won't care, the story and lore is not a vital thing in Devil May Cry, most just want Dante back along with improved DMC4 gameplay.
Hell P* could make Dante go to space and fight demonic space nazis canon and people would love it.
If claimed long time fans have no faith in DMC anymore because they "dont lik da storwie" then they shouldn't even be playing Devil May Cry in the first place.
Story to Devil May Cry is what Graphics are to Minecraft.

Loads of people want Nintendo to have Capcom's arsenal, me included, but yeah it'll be a financial mess because they'll also be getting Capcom's debt, auctioning off each IP would be good for business of other companies, but depending on where the IPs go will determine whether they will be good or not in the future.
If Nintendo gets Megaman then he's safe, if Platinum gets Devil May Cry then it's safe, Resident Evil and Street Fighter however will be a money battle for sure, loads of big companies will be trying to grab those IPs, not even sure of a good place where they could go.
Maybe if the IPs are just split up to other owners and Capcom tanks, then the Capcom dev teams can make up their own studios like Platinum did or even just join Platinum.

Devils Never Cry

Devil Hunter
Premium
This seemed inevitable, but it's still somewhat of a surprise. Makes me kind of glad I haven't purchased a new system yet.

Honestly, I hope a third party buys them. Not sure who would be best though.

xMobilemux

I'll just get right to the ass kicking.
Supporter 2014
Nintendo doesn't have Platinum, neither does SEGA, Platinum is still a private studio that works for any company, like Scalebound for Microsoft, Bayo 2, Mad World and W101 for Nintendo, Bayo 1, Vanquish and Anarchy Reigns for SEGA and Metal Gear Rising for Konami.

Nintendo can bring all those old Capcom IPs back from the dead and let the overused ones like Resident Evil, Street Fighter and such take a break.
Which ever company gets the Capcom arsenal exclusive to their system will be invincible and Nintendo is the one who needs it most.
I don't think Microsoft can just come in and grab Capcom because I heard there was a law about foreign companies buying a Japanese company.

The Final Offer

- Uuh... weapon switching was also possible in DMC4. You could switch between all of them. DMC3 and previous games also allowed it, to a lesser extent.
- Malice can't really be called a gameplay mechanic, I think. It's not something your character can do or has any influence on. It's just a visual gimmick of the world warping around you at set times (similar to a QTE), killing you if you move too slowly. Call that an amazing gameplay mechanic if you like, but it's not. Even if it were, it's just one fairly irrelevant feature. You could just as easily cut it out of the game, and it would not change the game fundamentally.
- ''No creativity restrictions''? Don't know what you mean by that. DmC restricted creativity many times by telling you to hit the blue enemy with an angel weapon, and to hit the red enemy with a demon weapon. It forced you to fight aerially in Devil Trigger. It forced platforming sections upon you. In-game cutscenes, too. I'm sure I could go on, but you get the picture.
Also, are you implying previous DMC games restricted creativity more than DmC? Because DMC4 let you use all styles and weapons. As far as I know, you can do as much in DMC4 as you can in DmC. Maybe you missed something.

No, I'm positive people have said on this forum that Ninja Theory worked on the gameplay the most. I thought Capcom did, but people from the 'pro DmC side' have been telling me NT did most of the work (with just a little bit of help from Capcom), so you're wrong about that. Unless they've been lying to me for some reason.
Not really relevant which of the two companies is responsible anyway... DmC just didn't do much that DMC4 hadn't already done.

I'm glad Frost posted that video of the combat system. My friend it is easily distinguishable between which has the most creativity restrictions.

In DmC, as you can see in Sam D's video, you can continue a combo after switching a weapon and if you want to, you can reset that combo like in previous Devil May Crys. This demands players to be creative with their combos. You can start a Rebellion combo and switch (fluidly) in the middle of the combo to an Arbiter finisher or just a smash and finish the combo off with an Osiris finisher. That's 2 medium strikes, 1 heavy, into 1 light. I hope you know what I mean by this because in other games you had to start at the beginning of the weapon's combo when you switched. I mean, you can do the directional attack in those games to give a false sense of fluid combat, but usually the directional attacks are always strong and throw the opponent.

Malice is different an aspect of the gameplay to immerse the player in the game. That type of stuff never actually happened in any Devil May Cry. An enemy you can't destroy in Devil May Cry. It does, force you to run. It grounds Dante and lets you know that he isn't an overpowered being. He has something there that can stop him from progressing and it shows during the story. In the previous games, there was force that kept you in the room and just threw enemies at you. Malice actually reacts and creates obstacles during combat.

People on the forum or the fact that in interviews and articles they've said they're working closely with Capcom on the combat. On top of that, you're aware of Capcom's signature way of doing combat. DmC's combat is most definitely Capcom and the rest is Ninja Theory. Which is why they pushed for people to understand that DMC DNA is the gameplay. NT's first attempt at combat gameplay can be seen in their first gameplay trailer. The environmental moves and finishers. That's not how Devil May Cry worked in the combat department. I think Capcom went in, listened to the weapon ideas, made a moveset for those, excluded anything that could slow the pace of the combat down.

Now the devil trigger bid. It does not force you to fight aerially. You can fight on the ground if you wanted. The whole point of the DT in DmC was to influence you to try out the vast amount of combos in the air. Other games did not have this and it's why I don't rate them high. They'll have one or two combos then you'd have to rely on body jumping and combo resets. That meant memorizing what each air combo starts with, does to the opponent (knockback, slam, etc), and how much damage it does. I mean, that's how I got great at them (in the past).

The game scored high because of these changes and on the surface, the game has more options than Bayonetta does in the air (at least). At least, from what I can remember Bayonetta felt like a direct rip off of DMC. I didn't like it because of that feeling while I was playing it. I enjoyed it though.

People can say Platinum Games has awesome gameplay. They can't say that it's something new or that it innovates. All it is "flashy flashy flashy PAUSE flashy flashy Really flashy." Seriously, when you're playing a Platinum game, just say that as you do a combo. You'll understand what I mean. I'm not saying they suck for that, I'm just saying they need to innovate and stop remaking the same game and adding a few new flashy moves to the list.

Last edited:

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
In DmC, as you can see in Sam D's video, you can continue a combo after switching a weapon and if you want to, you can reset that combo like in previous Devil May Crys. This demands players to be creative with their combos. You can start a Rebellion combo and switch (fluidly) in the middle of the combo to an Arbiter finisher or just a smash and finish the combo off with an Osiris finisher. That's 2 medium strikes, 1 heavy, into 1 light. I hope you know what I mean by this because in other games you had to start at the beginning of the weapon's combo when you switched.
This, combined with the spinning camera and Malice, is the very thing that made DmC such a great experience to begin with.

The free-flowing combos (combos that do NOT need to be reset every time you change weapons) and the fact that you can spin the camera while you do them (unlike previous DMCs) set its combat apart not only from the old series, but from almost every other action game out there as well.

Last edited:

Maxman

I think Capcom going over to platform holder, aint gonna happen

My Spider-Sense tells me that

DEMON-999

My favorite games from CAPCOM are Devil May Cry and Sengoku Basara i play them all the time

and it would be a dream come true to see Platinum Games make a DMC game finally , Capcom is a dead horse at this point they seem confused on what direction to go with their games and what audince to appeal to
if other companies can bring back a fallen franchise from retirment and make it go into the right direction i am all for it
i grew up playing CAPCOM games , it is kinda sad to see them in the situation , but hopefully better things awaits

Enigma

Crimson Sentinel
In DmC, as you can see in Sam D's video, you can continue a combo after switching a weapon and if you want to, you can reset that combo like in previous Devil May Crys. This demands players to be creative with their combos. You can start a Rebellion combo and switch (fluidly) in the middle of the combo to an Arbiter finisher or just a smash and finish the combo off with an Osiris finisher. That's 2 medium strikes, 1 heavy, into 1 light. I hope you know what I mean by this because in other games you had to start at the beginning of the weapon's combo when you switched. I mean, you can do the directional attack in those games to give a false sense of fluid combat, but usually the directional attacks are always strong and throw the opponent.

Malice is different an aspect of the gameplay to immerse the player in the game. That type of stuff never actually happened in any Devil May Cry. An enemy you can't destroy in Devil May Cry. It does, force you to run. It grounds Dante and lets you know that he isn't an overpowered being. He has something there that can stop him from progressing and it shows during the story. In the previous games, there was force that kept you in the room and just threw enemies at you. Malice actually reacts and creates obstacles during combat.

People on the forum or the fact that in interviews and articles they've said they're working closely with Capcom on the combat. NT's first attempt at combat gameplay can be seen in their first gameplay trailer. The environmental moves and finishers. That's not how Devil May Cry worked in the combat department. I think Capcom went in, listened to the weapon ideas, made a moveset for those, excluded anything that could slow the pace of the combat down.

Now the devil trigger bid. It does not force you to fight aerially. You can fight on the ground if you wanted. The whole point of the DT in DmC was to influence you to try out the vast amount of combos in the air. Other games did not have this and it's why I don't rate them high.

The game scored high because of these changes and on the surface, the game has more options than Bayonetta does in the air (at least). At least, from what I can remember Bayonetta felt like a direct rip off of DMC. I didn't like it because of that feeling while I was playing it. I enjoyed it though.

People can say Platinum Games has awesome gameplay. They can't say that it's something new or that it innovates. All it is "flashy flashy flashy PAUSE flashy flashy Really flashy." Seriously, when you're playing a Platinum game, just say that as you do a combo. You'll understand what I mean. I'm not saying they suck for that, I'm just saying they need to innovate and stop remaking the same game and adding a few new flashy moves to the list.

- ''You can continue a combo after switching a weapon''. You could do that in previous DMCs too (at the very least in DMC4). If you were too slow to do it, that's not the game's fault.

- ''Malice is different an aspect of the gameplay to immerse the player in the game''. Sounds like a sales pitch to me, not an actual argument. It kills you if you don't move at the right time, therefore it is nothing more than a QTE in disguise. It can shorten game levels substantially by stretching them out, putting huge stretches of *nothing* (holes in the ground, etc) between platforms. This gives the illusion that the levels are big when in fact they're quite small.
So no, it is not an amazing innovative gameplay feature. Haven't gotten obstacles created during combat either: only when I progress through the game by moving forward.

- People on this forum (who support DmC) specifically said that to me. If they were wrong and I was indeed right, then I guess they only said that to support their arguments at the time. Kind of annoying. Also, what first gameplay trailer? I remember a trailer that showed Dante fighting enemies, shooting them with his guns and stuff, and grappling and throwing cars on top of them (I think), but it did not show off the gameplay: it was just an introduction video. Just like the intro video of Halo 3 (with him using a bubble shield and jumping into a pack of brutes) wasn't gameplay either.

- Well, it doesn't literally force you to, but it does throw enemies into the air without your consent. It's kind of a shame: the DT makes you powerful, but then slaps you in the face by telling you to ''try out combos in the air'', as you put it. If you want to fight on the ground, there's not much you can do. You can fire ebony and ivory at those flying enemies, or you'll have to bring them down to the ground one by one. Or wait for them to come back down. It's just very restrictive. Period.

- If Bayonetta felt like a ripoff of DMC, that might be because it was... you know... made by the guy who developed DMC1. It's also kind of weird to call it a ripoff if the same developer made it - that's like saying the sequel to any game is a ripoff of it. Anyway, Bayonetta had several gameplay features that set it apart from DMC. You could transform into different animals, becoming able to fly or run at high speeds. You could pick up enemies' weapons. You could start QTEs yourself and increase the power of your combo. There were minigame-like things you could do, like flying in a ship, shooting enemies out of the sky. And there's probably more that I can't remember.

''They can't say that it's something new or that it innovates. All it is "flashy flashy flashy PAUSE flashy flashy Really flashy. Seriously, when you're playing a Platinum game, just say that as you do a combo. You'll understand what I mean.''

- Well, that was the idea. Bayonetta and DMC were kind of like that, wouldn't you agree? Platinum did plenty of new things with Bayonetta, like I said in the previous paragraph. Just because you don't want to acknowledge it (or think it's less important than DmC's new things) doesn't mean it's not true. Also, they're not ''remaking the same game over and over''. Does Bayonetta have exactly the same story as DMC3 or DMC4 or something? Does it have the same characters? Does it have the same combos? The same weapons? The same world? I could go on and on, but I think you're criticizing Platinum too harshly. Why do I think that? Because I remember several people bashing Metal Gear Rising for 'not being DMC, but trying to be DMC'. Well, I never got the idea that Rising tried to be anything other than Rising. If it plays similar to DMC, that's probably because it has some of the same gameplay features, like giving you the possibility of doing combos. It's even made by the same guy who did DMC, so his likes, humor, and interests are obviously reflected in all of his games. I'm not going to whine about how Mighty No. 9 looks so much like Mega Man, because it's common sense that it looks similar.

I'm also getting sick of this view that each and every game needs to innovate. Seriously? So when devs can't come up with new things anymore - because they've already tried almost everything, or another developer already has - does that mean they should go bankrupt because they can't innovate anymore? I'm certain there are plenty of games from the '90s that didn't innovate at all, but were excellent nonetheless. I think Croc might not have done anything new either, but it was still a decent game. Shouldn't innovation take a back seat to good gameplay? Gameplay that doesn't force you to do anything?

PS: I'm not going to reply again, because I really should take a break from this site. If I don't, I might get problems with my school work. I also don't want to completely derail the thread.

Last edited:

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
I decided to come back just this once to ask this...
Why are you saying you 'have no faith in the series anymore', when the series has always been pure bullsh!t story-wise? Each game has had a different story, basically. Did you just figure out yesterday that DMC didn't make sense? I thought that has been clear since... well... DMC2. Barring that, DMC3.
Why say ''why care about a series whose track record in story is that of an anime for twelve-year-olds''? You haven't been here that long, I think, but you were here before DmC. So... did you just decide to join a forum dedicated to a game series you don't like? How does that work? If you found the games to only be nice for children, why did you play them? Sorry if my question sounds aggressive or anything... I'm just confused by this.
You're free to think and feel however you want, but Devil May Cry to me lost a lot of its appeal and honestly feels like a shallow hack n slash series for it to only have 2 out of four good games and then a reboot comes out that didn't bring sails any higher for the series. Devil May Cry is on thin ice, and I don't want to be next to it when it falls in the cold lake. Sure it might pick itself back up again, but for me the damage is already done.

Also, there's nothing wrong with the DMC games' stories in terms of how adult they are. DMC3 and DMC4 were enjoyable; I could be 22, or frickin 40 for that matter, I would still enjoy them and find they're suited to adults. Just because there's no bare boobs, not too much cursing, and because the characters are not dressed 'normally' or act 'normally' (in a western style), that doesn't mean the games are not adult. Anime-like? I suppose. For twelve-year-olds? I don't see why. Please don't bring DMC4's love story into the debate again - DMC has never been quite like that, and even if DMC4's love story is mushy, who cares? That doesn't mean it's not adult, or that DMC4's entire story is suddenly cr*p. I actually don't find DmC's story to be any better or less childish than those of the previous games. I mean, it's just the old 'Illuminati conspiracy theory' bull all over again. The kind of stuff you find teenagers spouting on Facebook or whatever. It's something that takes no time to think of. I'm not saying DmC's story doesn't have any redeeming qualities, because it certainly does. But there's just not much objectively wrong with the DMCs' stories aside from the fact that, as a series, they clash with each other.

Again, good on you bro, but that isn't going to really do anything if DMC doesn't start doing something more interesting with both characters and story. And I never said characters should be normal, I meant more dynamic and unique then what I've seen of Dante. To me, DMC4 Dante was just a copy and paste of DMC3 and it didn't fit with the fact that this was Dante after DMC1 where he was much more serious but still able to have fun. To me, I just don't find Dante all that cool anymore. Both reboot and definitely original. All that thunder Devil May Cry had was, to me, lost long before the reboot was even announced. And though the reboot, for me, is still fun, it's obvious that it's not a good way to restart the series.

Alittleacorn

Smile it confuses people
I don't know how to really feel about it, but if it means some of their old titles come back then I'm cool on that. I friggin miss Clock Tower and Dino Crisis, and Mega Man needs some love too. They've just done NOTHING with those titles for years.

And E3 was terrible, they didn't have even a mention of Resident Evil 7, even though there's hints of some Relevations type title in the works called Enhanced Veronica, but nothing announced. As for Devil May Cry, er...is it bad that I just don't care anymore? We haven't heard a thing in ages. Maybe they should just give it to Platinum Games or that series will just die like every other title Capcom has done.

Seriously though, I really just want to see something good done. I miss the Capcom of my childhood.

Top Bottom