• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

are we getting DmC2 or DMC5?

Jak

i like turtles
Supporter 2014
i actually liked the DmC reboot. but many people didn't and...expressed their distaste for the new game. and after the game's failure, we haven't gotten any clear news on the status of the DMC/DmC franchise. frankly, i'm worried that devil may cry is gonna get megaman'd.

Alittleacorn

Smile it confuses people
Jak, over here:
http://www.ninjatheory.com/forums/showthread.php?4903-Capcom-Reports-DMC-Sales

And the game isn't a failure, it's been said sales are solid. If they were a failure, they'd be liquid.

I'd lean more to DmC getting a make over than a DMC5 happening. I've never heard of a reboot getting dumped to do that. Often game companies will keep moving ahead rather than going backwards. It would be like if the new Tomb Raider got mixed reviews from fans, they wouldn't can it or go back to the previous world from the earlier games, they'd simply reshape and mold it into something else, much like how DMC got a reboot after DMC2. [Tomb Raider's been rebooted 2 times! And Resident Evil might undergo a minor or full reboot after RE6, it's not yet confirmed.]

But who knows, maybe they will think of DMC5, if they did, they should lean more towards DMC1's tone. Though doubt it will get megaman'd, just like Resident Evil won't get megaman'd.

Regardless it's far too early to hear news. I would wait more until the PS4 and Xboxone are near to being released, that's when you're more likely to hear something, same as we probably won't hear anything about Resident Evil's future games until then. The recent PS3/Xbox360 platforms are near the end of their time, they won't pour big budgets into titles for those consoles on their most popular series.

IncarnatedDemon

Anything is possible.

I have many thoughts:

"DmC was a failure"
"But Capcom going back to DMC will be counterproductive!"
"They got Ninja theory, they taught them stuff and they can work with them again!"
"But if Capcom had 3M sales a DmC 2 would be made pretty soon"
"Ninja theory have their own games to think of"

etc

So it can go both ways. I think Capcom going back to DMC will be bad decision considering circumstances. They showed middle finger to fans, and fans retaliated and left DmC in the dirt.
And i dont think many people will go "DMC omg ima buy that!", some people have principals and they would prolly ignore DMC 5 or buy it at lowest possible price.

Its a pity though. If Capcom put in as much effort into a DMC game as they did with DmC, i bet the sales would been pretty decent.

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
Most video game reboots aren't usually successful and if they're they don't last long....the only reboot I know that became a full fledged series was Ninja Gaiden.and Castlevania Lords of Shadow (although it only got like 2 games thus far). Its too early to say anything about Tomb Raider or DmC.

With TR its easy cause the same guys who made the past TR aren't there anymore and the old TR was going nowhere and had nowhere to go and now since Square now owns it its best to start from scratch. TR is a much older franchise with much more games and was literally declining in popularity. This reboot was the biggest sales TR had in a LONG time. Plus TR reboot sold extremely well (3+ million units) SE is just being idiots or maybe its their fault for putting WAY TOO much money into the game.

Unlike TR, the guys who worked on DMC are still mostly there so making a DMC5 (or any DMC game) can come out as easily as the president of Capcom can snap his fingers. DMC only had like 4 games versus TR's dozens of games and isn't as old as TR. DMC's story isn't nowhere near as big as a clusterf*ck as TRs. DMC's sales/popularity weren't even dropping in fact it was getting more popular and Capcom thought a reboot or westernizing it would make it more popular (face it DmC fans Capcom was being greedy and that is why DmC exists. They wanted to appeal it to a larger audience and even then that failed on them). Even Itsuno said they will go back to the old DMC if its necessary....MUTHERF*CKING ITSUNO!!!!
6777200736_45d7180fb4.jpg

DmC is the lowest selling of all the DMC games that is practically enough reason for Capcom to go back to the old series.

As for "solid sales" pfffftttt its Capcom why would they want to settle for solid (especially when its far below their initial expectations and I'm referring to 2 mil) when before they were doing better than solid. I mean new IPs in the same genre (Bayonetta and Darksiders) do better than DmC in terms of sales and you know what happened to those games/companies. THQ went bankrupt and SEGA couldn't afford to make Bayonetta 2 cause the first games didn't sell well enough to warrant putting money into a sequel. Granted Capcom's financial issues aren't as bad as SEGAs or nowhere near as bad as THQ but they still have financial issues just like SEGA they had to pour millions of dollars (or yen) into completely restructuring their company and before it they were losing money (millions of dollars a year). In Capcom's financial situation solid ain't going to be good enough if they want to survive and a DmC2 would almost practically be suicide on their part or a huge gamble. When you have the welfare of thousands of workers would you want to risk it?

Despite what Capcom says to satisfy their shareholders "solid" doesn't mean "good" or "beneficial". A lot of game companies complain when their games don't reach 2 mil (but still sells better than DmC) and DmC was an AAA game (2 mil is practically a standard for an AAA games especially those from an existing series).

IncarnatedDemon

^ I think DmC had more money put into it than DMC games.
+ a correction: Capcom's expectation for DmC sales was 4-5m.

Their ESTIMATES was 2M, then 1.5, then 1.2 and it stopped at 1.15m.

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
^ I think DmC had more money put into it than DMC games.
+ a correction: Capcom's expectation for DmC sales was 4-5m.

Their ESTIMATES was 2M, then 1.5, then 1.2 and it stopped at 1.15m.

I don't count wishful thinking the say way how Itsuno hoped or "expected" Dragon's Dogma (before Dark Arisen) to sell

10 million units

Although Capcom was impressed with how much DD sold and I think that was 1.3 mil to 1.5 mil units...whatever it was it was higher.

Capcom hoped the game will sell 5 mil (to show that its goal to draw in a large fanbase and compete with God of War was a smashing success) but they most likely marketed and put money in the game to sell 2 mil (at max or that is all they need)....only RE6 is when they needed that over-bloated amount of sales.

IncarnatedDemon

I don't count wishful thinking the say way how Itsuno hoped or "expected" Dragon's Dogma (before Dark Arisen) to sell
10 million units

Although Capcom was impressed with how much DD sold and I think that was 1.3 mil to 1.5 mil units...whatever it was it was higher.

Capcom hoped the game will sell 5 mil (to show that its goal to draw in a large fanbase and compete with God of War was a smashing success) but they most likely marketed and put money in the game to sell 2 mil (at max or that is all they need)....only RE6 is when they needed that over-bloated amount of sales.
DMC 4 sold 2M and it was half assed.

4M sales for DMC game isnt wishful thinking considering how much DMC 4 sold.

And expectation is different from estimates.

+ Itsuno expecting 10m units sold compared to Capcom wanting 4m-5M sales for DmC is whole another thing.
1) DD was new IP
2) a new IP selling 10m is bullshit.
3) Itsuno must have smoked weed while developing Dogma.
4) No past sales history of DD to go based on.

Alittleacorn

Smile it confuses people
DmC is still selling though, you realize that right? It's not going to reach a certian number and then no one ever gets it. And it isn't a bad game, if critic's had given it terrible reviews I could buy into that, but it's not terrible, it just needed more Devil May Cry injected into it.

And hey, I like Tomb Raider. It isn't a clusterf**k. And if it is, then it's no better than Devil May Cry was. They did spend a lot on that TR, not as much as the budget I think DmC had to say the least, but TR looks like a game that had a lot of money poured into it by a visual perspective because so much detailed was crammed into the areas and explosions. If anything, it felt like there was too much detail. They could've easily have cut TR's budget by 1/4.

IncarnatedDemon

^ I don't think it matters what DmC sells afterwards.
I mean if you go based on that then you could get the sales for DMC 3, DMC 1, DMC 4 after the periode Capcom got their statistic from.

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
DmC is still selling though, you realize that right? It's not going to reach a certian number and then no one ever gets it. And it isn't a bad game, if critic's had given it terrible reviews I could buy into that, but it's not terrible, it just needed more Devil May Cry injected into it.

And hey, I like Tomb Raider. It isn't a clusterf**k. And if it is, then it's no better than Devil May Cry was. They did spend a lot on that TR, not as much as the budget I think DmC had to say the least, but TR looks like a game that had a lot of money poured into it by a visual perspective because so much detailed was crammed into the areas and explosions. If anything, it felt like there was too much detail. They could've easily have cut TR's budget by 1/4.

I'm referring to the old TR before the reboot and when one plot twist is Laura's dead mom rising from the dead to betray her and teaming up with Laura's evil clone for some evil scheme you know its time for a reboot.

If DmC's budget was higher Tomb Raider's I'm surprised that the president of Capcom didn't commit seppuku over its poor sales.

TR had bigger, more costly actors than DmC. They had to put a lot of money alone to just develop an engine for the game. DmC used Outdated Engine 3 (game design wise it wasn't using up much money). Crystal Dynamics poured tons of time and money into making Laura's hair looks realistic. DmC hair looks like wigs.
tumblr_mi03k25h6s1rblqwco1_400.gif

Creating gameplay isn't that expensive especially great gameplay (see. Bayonetta). In fact the most costly games are the ones that aren't fast, explosive, deep gameplay action games....although fighting games do cost a lot actually.

Alittleacorn

Smile it confuses people
I'm referring to the old TR before the reboot and when one plot twist is Laura's dead mom rising from the dead to betray her and teaming up with Laura's evil clone for some evil scheme you know its time for a reboot.

If DmC's budget was higher Tomb Raider's I'm surprised that the president of Capcom didn't commit seppuku over its poor sales.

TR had bigger, more costly actors than DmC. They had to put a lot of money alone to just develop an engine for the game. DmC used Outdated Engine 3 (game design wise it wasn't using up much money). Crystal Dynamics poured tons of time and money into making Laura's hair looks realistic. DmC hair looks like wigs.
tumblr_mi03k25h6s1rblqwco1_400.gif

Creating gameplay isn't that expensive especially great gameplay (see. Bayonetta). In fact the most costly games are the ones that aren't fast, explosive, deep gameplay action games....although fighting games do cost a lot actually.
Huh, nu nu I didn't say DmC's budget was higher-nevermind @.@

I think they used Engine 3 because it was one they knew how to use and were familar with. I remember reading something about it sometime last year, they said learning another engine would've taken a lot longer to do. With the PS3 and Xbox nearing the end of their cycle and fan response, spending all that effort wouldn't have been worth it. It's probably now after finishing DmC, they'll learn a new program for their future projects.

And they did look like wigs :lol: I'm glad they made Kat's locks move, but it does seem like Engine was restricted on certian things like how much they could move hair or even Dante's necklace. The DMC3 costume really could've done with this because the hair looks stiff.

I didn't play all of Underworld, but I lose interested on that one. The two games before were okay, but like Angel of Darkness it was time for change.

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
Huh, nu nu I didn't say DmC's budget was higher-nevermind @.@

I think they used Engine 3 because it was one they knew how to use and were familar with. I remember reading something about it sometime last year, they said learning another engine would've taken a lot longer to do. With the PS3 and Xbox nearing the end of their cycle and fan response, spending all that effort wouldn't have been worth it. It's probably now after finishing DmC, they'll learn a new program for their future projects.

And they did look like wigs :lol: I'm glad they made Kat's locks move, but it does seem like Engine was restricted on certian things like how much they could move hair or even Dante's necklace. The DMC3 costume really could've done with this because the hair looks stiff.

I didn't play all of Underworld, but I lose interested on that one. The two games before were okay, but like Angel of Darkness it was time for change.

"They did spend a lot on that TR, not as much as the budget I think DmC had to say the least,"

Sounds like you did.

Still....building a new powerful engine that far surpasses an old engine that anyone can use and is practically outdated from scratch costs much more than using an old outdated engine.

Plus shows how more dedicated Crystal was if they could pour all that time and money into just creating a new powerful engine from scratch than NT who well ya know.

Plus NT practically spent a whole year coming up with the proper designs and in the planning phase before even started making the game (you tell me they couldn't learn how to use a new engine). This game was in development for almost 4 years.....they've already took a long ass time.

Alittleacorn

Smile it confuses people
"They did spend a lot on that TR, not as much as the budget I think DmC had to say the least,"

Sounds like you did.

Still....building a new powerful engine that far surpasses an old engine that anyone can use and is practically outdated from scratch costs much more than using an old outdated engine.

Plus shows how more dedicated Crystal was if they could pour all that time and money into just creating a new powerful engine from scratch than NT who well ya know.

Plus NT practically spent a whole year coming up with the proper designs and in the planning phase before even started making the game (you tell me they couldn't learn how to use a new engine). This game was in development for almost 4 years.....they've already took a long ass time.
I phrased it wrong, sorry about it.^__^;

It might be dedicated, but I still think Crystal went a little overboard. If they could've spent more time on the character details for the secondary characters Lara hangs out with, instead of all so much on the landscapes or so many models of Lara with mud or gaining injuries that didn't add much to the plot, I would prefered that. But even so, when Capcom made Resident Evil 6, to cope with the amount of campaigns, they cut corners and at some points that does show. Dedication is good, though you have to be careful not too overdo something when it comes to a budget.

And long ass time, should say that about that XIII versus. How long's that game been in production now? @.@ I think they're gonna skip this console altogether. Anywho, every game is different and can vary on how long it takes to make it. Making a reboot for DMC wasn't an easy fleet. But because one game's production takes longer than others, doesn't make it poorly made or worse. Sometimes it can be the complete opposite if a game comes out too quickly and winds up being rushed.

You can say 'okay learn this program' but if gaming programs are as complex as something like Blender, it would take a large amount of time to figure it out and to become accustomed to it, enough that you can work on it's easily without getting lost on what to do. And what if you already have things you made already in production? You've got to somehow transfer all that and make updates to it so it works on the newer system. And this isn't just one person that has to learn this new program, it's a whole big team of people, they all need to know what they're doing, otherwise there would be problems and further delays.

If they had spent that extra or so year figuring things out on a new program, by then XboxOne and PS4 may be out, or near to coming out and it wouldn't have been worth it. They would've winded up needing to delay DmC even further to make it a next gen game instead.

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
I phrased it wrong, sorry about it.^__^;

It might be dedicated, but I still think Crystal went a little overboard. If they could've spent more time on the character details for the secondary characters Lara hangs out with, instead of all so much on the landscapes or so many models of Lara with mud or gaining injuries that didn't add much to the plot, I would prefered that. But even so, when Capcom made Resident Evil 6, to cope with the amount of campaigns, they cut corners and at some points that does show. Dedication is good, though you have to be careful not too overdo something when it comes to a budget.

And long ass time, should say that about that XIII versus. How long's that game been in production now? @.@ I think they're gonna skip this console altogether. Anywho, every game is different and can vary on how long it takes to make it. Making a reboot for DMC wasn't an easy fleet. But because one game's production takes longer than others, doesn't make it poorly made or worse. Sometimes it can be the complete opposite if a game comes out too quickly and winds up being rushed.

You can say 'okay learn this program' but if gaming programs are as complex as something like Blender, it would take a large amount of time to figure it out and to become accustomed to it, enough that you can work on it's easily without getting lost on what to do. And what if you already have things you made already in production? You've got to somehow transfer all that and make updates to it so it works on the newer system. And this isn't just one person that has to learn this new program, it's a whole big team of people, they all need to know what they're doing, otherwise there would be problems and further delays.

If they had spent that extra or so year figuring things out on a new program, by then XboxOne and PS4 may be out, or near to coming out and it wouldn't have been worth it. They would've winded up needing to delay DmC even further to make it a next gen game instead.

Versus XIII is different that is more of a business problem than a development problem.

I'm not saying DmC because it took longer its bad. No if it took longer it should've been better and despite being having the largest dev time of any DMC game it still disappointed me the most (even more than DMC2).

Capcom was already using up time to teach NT how to make a DMC game frame by frame and all the deep underlying stuff and they even offered to teach them how to use MT Framework.

If Crystal can spend the time to create a brand new engine and learn how to use it what is NT's excuse to not learn how to use an already established engine with guys who knew how to use it because they made it and considering that DmC team had 10 workers from Capcom (DMC3/4 dev team) including Itsuno.

Capcom even brought NT to their university (they have an university) to teach them how to make a DMC game and like I said offered to teach them how to use MT Framework all within a year but NT refused not because they didn't want to waste time cause with time management they wouldn't have spent as much time as you think....learning how to use a new game engine doesn't take much time if your GOOD at making games. They refused because they wanted all that flashy dynamic environments and felt THEY could only achieve that with UE3 the best.

Take this...DMC4 was I think the first Capcom games to use MT Framework so Capcom employees had to learn how to use it and make DMC4 and DMC4 had the dev time of less than 2 years. DmC had 2x the amount of time and if NT were as talented as people make them out to be learning a new engine wouldn't be that hard. I mean I'm sure when they made HS it was their first time using UE3.

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
I wouldn't mind both, however, due to DmC selling under target, Capcom will need to take time deciding their next move. They could make both, or go back to DMC5 and see how it sells, or cancel both if they feel classic DMC has been out of the public eye for too long- plus would fans of the classic buy DMC5 due to feeling betrayed by DmC?

IncarnatedDemon

Can you guys please be realistic?
Capcom releasing two games with similar characters and story and similar name is just bs.

And dont say "Megaman" because Megaman isnt a big game like DMC or DmC. If i am not wrong Megaman is 2d for most part?

Well DmC and DMC is 3d and they have cinematic way above Megaman.

So requires more work.
Besides if there is a option of "Why cant we have both" then why did this game get cancelled?
Maverick-Hunter-7.jpg

Alittleacorn

Smile it confuses people
I wouldn't mind both, however, due to DmC selling under target, Capcom will need to take time deciding their next move. They could make both, or go back to DMC5 and see how it sells, or cancel both if they feel classic DMC has been out of the public eye for too long- plus would fans of the classic buy DMC5 due to feeling betrayed by DmC?

I wouldn't mind both either, but there's another question, would fans that liked DmC feel betrayed if they dropped it to go back to the originals, especially after some of the circumstances of how it was demanded? Either way you'll have people ****ed off whatever they do, so they might stay quiet for a while until they figure out a course of action. All I know is I'll be ticked off if they dump the reboot, because that would be putting out a really bad message that you can get whatever you want by being nasty. Hell I'd lose faith in the whole damn franchise and humanity.

I'd just be mad, if despite all the praise and good reviews it got, they gave up on DmC because they were hounded into doing so. For me, it's either DmC2, or both games get a sequel together. I won't settle for a DMC5 alone.

Bazilican

Beer and big tits all around! XD
I'm kinda sick of the campyness and over-rated anime overtones of DMC, and want a little more realism mixed with crazy action scenes. If DMC can improve on this then I'm all for a DMC. But from DMC4, I doubt that will ever be the case. DmC seems like its going up my alley, but just doesn't reach very far. If NT could learn from their mistakes and fix up on the gameplay, story, and characters, then DmC could have the potential in being the better Devil May Cry series. No, I'm not crazy, NT's DmC has the potential to be better then DMC.

Top Bottom