• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Any Christian values in the new DMC?

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
i think dante is more of a free will kind of guy and doesnt put much stock in religion.

he may believe that god exists but doesnt rely on him.

Tiran

The great pretender.
If the question is: will the game be use as a device to teach you how to behave according to the Christian ideals?

So far the hero is a sexual deviant, the least we can say is that Christianity has always been against it. (I've also heard that oriental societies suffered from less sexual taboos in their history because they were not subjected to the Christian doctrine)
If someone spots a value which is also present in the Christian behavioral ideals (after we get to know the game better) it won't mean that it has been put into the game on purpose if their are no specific clues to indicate that...
And I don't think the one who asks the question wants to be given the following answer:
yes, they happened to unconsciously and randomly endow the game with this or that Christian value...

Christianity holds no monopoly on the principles of goodness that other religions (or the lack of) do not. If this game condemns evil or taboos, it will be based on inherent concepts of right and wrong as dictated by a conscious, thoughtful set of standards that a progressive,modern, tolerant, open-minded society is based on. Any similarities to ancient texts religious, or otherwise, are coincidental or satirical.

Sparda's rejected son

For Edenoi!
Premium
Supporter 2014
The only valuable lesson I learned from this new DmC game is that when a bouncer tells you can't enter a Night Club because your not on the list. You upper cut them.
Greatest lesson I've ever learned from a Video Game.

Zilla

The inFAAMous
^ Christians aren't like that though, they believe that only their God is the true God and all other Gods are false. So when someone mentions that they're doing the work of God, it usually implies they're Christian as only a Christian believer would refer to their deity as simply God.

Also, Christianity is the biggest cult on the planet. Makes sense that the Demonic Social engineers would use that to control the majority of their 'sheeple'.

berto

I Saw the Devil
I find it that over zealous relegious people are irrational and think that their deffinition of god's work rarely meet with the intent of what the scripture accatualy says and missquote the bible for their own purposes. There have been alot of people on the news and media who resemble Bob and that's where the character comes from.

Railazel

Note: I mean no offense to Christians or any religion when I write the following, please excuse me if I sound harsh

You kind of insulted us, so... you're unexcused.

Really I never did like the idea of a "God", it always ****ed me off. The reason? God is said to be a fair and free ruler, who loves all and cares for all equally, and treats every last one of his people with respect. Well if thats the case then why is it the exact opposite.

Because it isn't. God runs by the principle of equal justice. You do right, you get rewarded. You do wrong, you get punished. If a law is placed by him, your ancestors, or authorities he chose, no matter how small the offense, you must follow that law. God doesn't excuse disobedience. He also runs by the principle of free choice. Your choice is your's, but you're responsible for the consequences of that choice.

According to most religions, We all have to kiss some God's ass or else the world will never be good, and that's what ****es me off. Half the time The "Proof" they use to prove a God exist, is that a man prayed and survived cancer or something, the ironic part is that there were millions of other people who tried it and died. Why didn't this make the news because "Man prays and dies." is not a very good title for an article now is it.

We "kiss up" to him becuase it is our choice to do so. Praise is our expression of gratitude. And the thing about miracles is that they don't happen all that often. Yes people pray and still die, no one said that praying will protect you from death. Praying is a form of communication between us and God, its not really meant for making wishes. But if God wants you to live, he'll let you, but if it's your time, then it's your time.

If you don't believe in him, you don't have to do anything for him. The Bible was written for those who believe in him.

That is another thing I think is stupid. People think they can stop wars, or save people's lives. Just by praying, well according to both common sense and science that won't work. get off your ass and do something
Now don't get me wrong, I support Christian charities and stuff that help homeless people. But according to different religions. If I punch someone, or if I die without an Aztec spear through my chest, or if I eat freaking pork, I'm going to hell.

According to Science, praying can work, and it has. Prayer puts people in a healthier mindset and there has been phenomena where people do recover after a period of prayer. There's also the mysterious miracles where illnesses suddenly disappear after spiritual healings and, again, praying. There's reseach on this stuff.

This is also why I love games where you kill gods. It is rebellious, and righteous at the same time. I actually like rebellious characters, when they are actually rebellious for a reason.

So unless we get to kill both Yahweh and Lucifer in cold blood I don't think this game should have any connections to Christianity

You can kill Lucifer, everyone would be happy for that (except Satanists) but you can't kill YHWH. You see, God is an infinite being, so that'll basically be impossible.

To put God in nutshell, he's our Father. He created this world just for us to be in and wants us to live a peaceful life. However, we set ourselves up to live a not- so- peaceful life which forced God to be put in a more authoritarian position in order to keep us from living a pretty self- destructive life.

To you, he may be just another god of some religion, but to me, he's the only person that I feel I can truly depend on to lead me in the right direction because he loves me unconditionally, and I know that because he teaches me to be kind and caring to the people around me, and I have to because it's unfair to him if I don't when he loves them just as much as he loves me.

I really would suggest reading the Bible, and I don't reading the stories and then just consider them ridiculous. The point of the Bible isn't just to instruct, but to help us understand who God is and what he wants for us.

^ Christians aren't like that though, they believe that only their God is the true God and all other Gods are false. So when someone mentions that they're doing the work of God, it usually implies they're Christian as only a Christian believer would refer to their deity as simply God.

Well, of course. We are devoted to one God because it is unfair to him if we place our devotion elsewhere. You do a favor for me, and place the credit of that favor to someone else. Won't you be upset?

[quote="Zilla, post: 355109, member: 17643
Also, Christianity is the biggest cult on the planet.[/quote]

Christianity isn't a cult, it's a religion. Cults are ritualistic and have to considered strange to people. Christianity has been accepted by alot of people and cultures. Really, it's not supposed to be seen as a religion either. Rather, a relationship between you, your fellow man as your family member, and God as your Father. So it's more of a culture than anything else.

Now, on- topic, I really would prefer it if there was a pro- religious game for once. I love playing as a god- killer as much as the next guy, but I would kind of like to play a game that portrays Christianity not as a religion but as a relationship between God and his people. Naturally that won't be the most exciting game, but I think it's worth making.

Zilla

The inFAAMous
^ Christianity is ritualistic (attending church, saying prayers, etc. Performing a set course of actions for their symbolic meaning) and is also considered strange to people (atheists for example).

Personally though, I don't support any form of religion, I see it as just another form of control, or divide between people. Like take for example where I'm from, Northern Ireland, where the whole Protestant/Catholic thing goes on, which results in very sectarian hate-crimes in some extreme cases. Incidents like that just make Me hate the whole concept of submitting to a religion.

Ronin

Let's rock, baby!
There's got to be an easier way for Sparda to give himself connections to God and Jesus Christ. God could save Dante's soul somehow.

ICallPhotoshop

According to Science, praying can work, and it has. Prayer puts people in a healthier mindset and there has been phenomena where people do recover after a period of prayer. There's also the mysterious miracles where illnesses suddenly disappear after spiritual healings and, again, praying. There's reseach on this stuff.

I dare you to find a single veritable example of prayer working in a way that can't be explained by the placebo affect. Just one.

Angel

Is not rat, is hamster
Admin
I dare you to find a single veritable example of prayer working in a way that can't be explained by the placebo affect. Just one.
The placebo affect only works for so long - anyone who has been healed through prayer would have to have had sustained health throughout a long period of time. I agree, the effect of positivity can make you feel better for a while, but the condition is still there underneath.

However, whilst I do not have medical data on account of it being not available for public use, as it is MY data, I can tell you that in 2007 I was in a wheelchair and was told I would never ever ever get better and my spine would become like one solid bar of unmovable bone in a very short space of time. I was in pain all the time, I could not dress myself, I needed constant help with every day activities. Look up degenerative spine conditions and you'll see there is no cure - not one. It's all pain management or surgery to keep your spine in place for a bit longer.

I went to church, as normal, one sunday morning in 2008 and was prayed for. Nothing fancy, none of that over-the-top wailing and shouting you see on TV...just a quiet prayer and I have never needed a wheelchair since. Nor pills, nor help, nor anything. I have had no pain since that day and it has gone in my file that for "reasons unknown", I can now walk.

All I know is that for the last 4 years I have had a perfectly-working body, no pain, no degeneration and that's nothing science did for me nor the medical profession. The placebo effect will only work for so long and provided certain parameters are in place. I have not spent my days mumbling mantras over my body or taking fake pills. I have not been floating on one massive high for the last 4 years...I know what I know.

No doubt the rest of you will spit all over that but hey, it's the internet. Everyone thinks they know better than anyone else.

EDIT: If you want something from a medical journal with statistics and all that jazz, you can download a copy of a study done to see if prayer has any effect whatsoever on two groups of people who were unaware of being prayed for as part of their treatment. Ignore the fact it's a God-site (atheists are hardly going to publish it, are they?), but you can get all the info on the study here, if you so wish.

berto

I Saw the Devil
The placebo affect only works for so long - anyone who has been healed through prayer would have to have had sustained health throughout a long period of time. I agree, the effect of positivity can make you feel better for a while, but the condition is still there underneath.

However, whilst I do not have medical data on account of it being not available for public use, as it is MY data, I can tell you that in 2007 I was in a wheelchair and was told I would never ever ever get better and my spine would become like one solid bar of unmovable bone in a very short space of time. I was in pain all the time, I could not dress myself, I needed constant help with every day activities. Look up degenerative spine conditions and you'll see there is no cure - not one. It's all pain management or surgery to keep your spine in place for a bit longer.

I went to church, as normal, one sunday morning in 2008 and was prayed for. Nothing fancy, none of that over-the-top wailing and shouting you see on TV...just a quiet prayer and I have never needed a wheelchair since. Nor pills, nor help, nor anything. I have had no pain since that day and it has gone in my file that for "reasons unknown", I can now walk.

All I know is that for the last 4 years I have had a perfectly-working body, no pain, no degeneration and that's nothing science did for me nor the medical profession. The placebo effect will only work for so long and provided certain parameters are in place. I have not spent my days mumbling mantras over my body or taking fake pills. I have not been floating on one massive high for the last 4 years...I know what I know.

No doubt the rest of you will spit all over that but hey, it's the internet. Everyone thinks they know better than anyone else.

EDIT: If you want something from a medical journal with statistics and all that jazz, you can download a copy of a study done to see if prayer has any effect whatsoever on two groups of people who were unaware of being prayed for as part of their treatment. Ignore the fact it's a God-site (atheists are hardly going to publish it, are they?), but you can get all the info on the study here, if you so wish.
Well, that's something, ain't it. My mother beat breast cancer, she atributes it to prayer.

While not all thing of this nature can be explained there is a possible science behind it. Energy conects the whole of creation, and prayer might be considered a form of energy transferance from one person to another.

For the record I am christian and I belive in god. I also belive in science and I find it dumb that people force themselve to belive in one but not the other. But that's just me.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
You kind of insulted us, so... you're unexcused.

Because it isn't. God runs by the principle of equal justice. You do right, you get rewarded. You do wrong, you get punished. If a law is placed by him, your ancestors, or authorities he chose, no matter how small the offense, you must follow that law. God doesn't excuse disobedience. He also runs by the principle of free choice. Your choice is your's, but you're responsible for the consequences of that choice.

We "kiss up" to him becuase it is our choice to do so. Praise is our expression of gratitude. And the thing about miracles is that they don't happen all that often. Yes people pray and still die, no one said that praying will protect you from death. Praying is a form of communication between us and God, its not really meant for making wishes. But if God wants you to live, he'll let you, but if it's your time, then it's your time.

If you don't believe in him, you don't have to do anything for him. The Bible was written for those who believe in him.

You can kill Lucifer, everyone would be happy for that (except Satanists) but you can't kill YHWH. You see, God is an infinite being, so that'll basically be impossible.

To put God in nutshell, he's our Father. He created this world just for us to be in and wants us to live a peaceful life. However, we set ourselves up to live a not- so- peaceful life which forced God to be put in a more authoritarian position in order to keep us from living a pretty self- destructive life.

To you, he may be just another god of some religion, but to me, he's the only person that I feel I can truly depend on to lead me in the right direction because he loves me unconditionally, and I know that because he teaches me to be kind and caring to the people around me, and I have to because it's unfair to him if I don't when he loves them just as much as he loves me.

I really would suggest reading the Bible, and I don't reading the stories and then just consider them ridiculous. The point of the Bible isn't just to instruct, but to help us understand who God is and what he wants for us.

Well, of course. We are devoted to one God because it is unfair to him if we place our devotion elsewhere. You do a favor for me, and place the credit of that favor to someone else. Won't you be upset?

[quote="Zilla, post: 355109, member: 17643
Also, Christianity is the biggest cult on the planet.

Christianity isn't a cult, it's a religion. Cults are ritualistic and have to considered strange to people. Christianity has been accepted by alot of people and cultures. Really, it's not supposed to be seen as a religion either. Rather, a relationship between you, your fellow man as your family member, and God as your Father. So it's more of a culture than anything else.

Now, on- topic, I really would prefer it if there was a pro- religious game for once. I love playing as a god- killer as much as the next guy, but I would kind of like to play a game that portrays Christianity not as a religion but as a relationship between God and his people. Naturally that won't be the most exciting game, but I think it's worth making.[/quote]

werent lord of shadows and dante's inferno religiuosly theme games?

on topic- i dont no if i need DMC to go religious but it depends on how it was done.

Railazel

^ Christianity is ritualistic (attending church, saying prayers, etc. Performing a set course of actions for their symbolic meaning) and is also considered strange to people (atheists for example).

Christianity doesn't have any rituals. Everything is personal and your choice. You don't have to pray neither do you have to go to church, but you do them because they help give us wisdom and strengthen our relationship with God.

And Atheists don't count.

Personally though, I don't support any form of religion, I see it as just another form of control, or divide between people.

That's odd, most religions teach the opposite. Bhuddism and Christianity are very peace- oriented.

Like take for example where I'm from, Northern Ireland, where the whole Protestant/Catholic thing goes on, which results in very sectarian hate-crimes in some extreme cases. Incidents like that just make Me hate the whole concept of submitting to a religion.

If Christianity's a religion, then Denominations are cults (sort to speak). Denominations have their own practices and rituals that are unique to them that aren't promoted or suggested in the Bible and some of them are seen as strange to other Christians. Take the Catholic Church for example. Catholics give praise to Mary, even though the only thing she did was give birth to Jesus. Jesus himself never gave such praise to his own mother, so why they do it is odd to alot of Christians. This is not to mention the fact that a good amount of their traditions are pagan in birth and nature.

I really would suggest that you read the Bible and try to understand what Christianity's about. There are two rules that all Christians have to follow: Love thy God with all thy heart and Love thy Neigbor as one would love thyself. There is major character of God that we all believe in: God is Love. Holding these as fact, you can understand that the fault of the Church is not on God, but on the people who run it. God didn't tell the Catholics to kill thousands of heretics, it says right in the Bible not to do that. He didn't tell them to start the Crusades, the Bible gives no right to wage war for greed. So don't blame God, blame the people.

werent lord of shadows and dante's inferno religiuosly theme games?

on topic- i dont no if i need DMC to go religious but it depends on how it was done.

Religiously- themed but not in the sense of what I'm talking about. I want something detailling the relationship between Man and God. Stuff like how God loves us and what he envisioned for Man. Most of the time, in any form of media other than art and music, Religion is seen as just some people believing in some god, but it's more of a relationship than anything else. You can ask any person of any religion, we have a personal connection to those we believe in. I want a game that reflects that.

berto

I Saw the Devil
This is, and always will be, a subject people will be pationate about. It's true tha most relegions are fundementally good with an emphasis on love, peace, unity, or a higher purpose, but just like futball (soccer for you gringos) is not a sport that condones violence, people riot because of it and behave foolishly, even maliciouly, because they are passonate about it. Relegion is no different; people get heated and behave according to their personality, not their creed. If relegion was replaced by sports people would still behave as such.

Angel

Is not rat, is hamster
Admin
For the record I am christian and I belive in god. I also belive in science and I find it dumb that people force themselve to belive in one but not the other. But that's just me.
No, I'd agree with that too - science and religion complement one another rather well, in my opinion. I know some Christians who reject science because they think it's heresy or something...I think they're barking mad, personally. If my body is sick, I'll go to a doctor thank you very much.

Railazel said:
Now, on- topic, I really would prefer it if there was a pro- religious game for once. I love playing as a god- killer as much as the next guy, but I would kind of like to play a game that portrays Christianity not as a religion but as a relationship between God and his people. Naturally that won't be the most exciting game, but I think it's worth making.
The thing is, pretty much every "pro" Christianity or religion game has been awful...really really embarrassing, could-not-suck-any-more terrible. I'm not sure there would even be a market for it compared to how many people would prefer to play a god-like creature and just crush NPCs like bugs.

In every game that gives you powers, I never use them for good. In Fable, I'm evil. In Elder Scrolls games, I'm evil. Even in The Sims, I'm as evil as I can be. If there's a game that let's you choose the dark side, I'm first in the queue.

Good grief that makes me sound unhinged...

berto

I Saw the Devil
Actually, if you want a christian game with a Japanese design El Shidai: Assention of the Metatron is a Japanese take on scripture. You play as Enoch and Lucifer is your guide as the story takes place before the fall. Several renegade angels have build a kingdom on earth and disrupted the world and your job is to defeat them and return the earth to what it was before they created their relms. It was directed by a former Capcom employee who worked on both DMC and Okami. Each angel has a theme, like beauty or technology, so the game play changes a little depending on who your hunting.

Top Bottom