• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

An interesting video about Otakus

Sieghart

"Plough the lilies"

This is an interesting video with Studio Khara(Evangelion's Hideaki Anno) and i must say this is a pretty nice way and a pretty creative way(Our opinion might differ) of criticizing the Otaku culture. Remember kids, liking hentai and enjoying ecchi stuff is perfectly fine but never take it to the extreme levels of obsession.

The video contains nudity and might be uncomfortable for some.

Thoughts?

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Hideaki Anno hates otaku. He's made that very clear.

His show is also absolutely awful. I freaking can't stand Evangelion. It's just highly overrated being just super f#cking pretentious and stupid. Not to mention a cast so mentally challenged since "One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest".

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
His show is also absolutely awful. I freaking can't stand Evangelion. It's just highly overrated being just super f#cking pretentious and stupid. Not to mention a cast so mentally challenged since "One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest".
Hell i don't even care if the main characters are insane the thing gets me is the ****in' teen angst and ugly mech designs.

WolfOD64

That Guy Who Hates Fox McCloud
I can't comment on the state of anime culture at all, mostly because...well, I don't really care for anime so much as I do for manga.

None of the genres that are super popular on the anime market don't particularly appeal to me...and they all seem to cater towards the same kind of audience seeking the same thing from every show: the exact same premise, filled with the exact same persistent stereotypes masquerading as characters, endearing the same slice-of-life dilemmas or comedic misadventures, in the exact same tone, style, and setting. The problem is that this kind of show is all the anime industry seems interested in making nowadays. And that is by far the biggest reason I've long since stopped watching anime at all...because the anime industry only seems to be interested in pleasing one kind of audience. The multitudinous nature of 80's and 90's anime is gone...no more branching out to different genres, no more catering to multiple demographics and audiences. Nowadays, there's no room for other genres or types of anime to be made...if it doesn't have the potential to sell like crazy, it just won't be made.

It's gotten to the point where I'm almost entirely convinced that if shows like Cowboy Bebop, Ghost in the Shell, Ruroni Kenshin and Berserk had been conceived in this day and age, they would have never gotten anime adaptations.

Manga spans multiple genres, and there's no limit on the quality or scope of the manga other than the limits the creator's imagination limits upon it. But anime? Nowadays, there's only bishonen and bishojo popularizing the market, and the lack of variety that's making the current anime industry a bore for people like me.

That's why I prefer to read and dig up manga for genres that are so bizarre and estranging, that they'd never be made into an anime, much less get the same mass popularity and financial success as recent runaway sucesses like Attack on Titam or Kill La Kill---two shows that embody the concept of being "overhyped to absurdity." Some of the best manga ever made is actually in the seinen genre...and very few of them have received proper adaptations or have even been given half of the hype and marketing of the aforementioned shows.

Some manga have been dug out of obscurity, and have blessed their fans with splendorous adaptations like Hellsing Ultimate, Black Lagoon, or the recent Berserk: Golden Age Arc Trilogy, but their numbers are so painfully few---and even those were just lucky enough to be movies or OVAs than actual shows.

Last edited:

Sieghart

"Plough the lilies"
So the youtube have taken down the video so here: http://animatorexpo.com/mememe/

@WolfOD64

While it's true that anime now a days doesn't have that much variety but it isn't completely true that great anime shows doesn't exist now a days. They are just rare. As someone who is consistently watching anime, in a single season there can be two, three or 4 sleeper hits. Generally, the most popular shows are the ones that is made by KyotoAnimation and the like of Moe blob shows. But there are still shows like Fate/Zero, Shinsekai Yori, Kara no Kyoukai, Baccano!, Psycho Pass, Aoi Bungaku, Hunter X Hunter(2011), Uchuu Senkan Yamato 2199, Usagi drop, Mushishi, Steins;Gate, Seirei no Moribito to name a few that are still great shows that pops once in a while.

I have been fan of this medium for way too long and i can enjoy moe blobs and Slice of life anime but there are genuinely good SoL anime out there such as Usagi Drop, Aria the Origination, Barakamon and Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-Kun.

Some of the best manga ever made is actually in the seinen genre...

Seinen, Shonen, Shoujo, Josei are not genres they are simply demographics. Fantasy, SciFi, Thriller, Horror, those are genres. For example, Shonen means "boy" or "for boys". It simply refers to a person of that age and shonen manga are marketed towards that age. Seinen on the other hand are marketed to people who are over 17 or older. The female equivalent are Shoujo(For Girls) and Josei.

WolfOD64

While it's true that anime now a days doesn't have that much variety but it isn't completely true that great anime shows doesn't exist now a days. They are just rare. As someone who is consistently watching anime, in a single season there can be two, three or 4 sleeper hits. Generally, the most popular shows are the ones that is made by KyotoAnimation and the like of Moe blob shows. But there are still shows like Fate/Zero, Shinsekai Yori, Kara no Kyoukai, Baccano!, Psycho Pass, Aoi Bungaku, Hunter X Hunter(2011), Uchuu Senkan Yamato 2199, Usagi drop, Mushishi, Steins;Gate, Seirei no Moribito to name a few that are still great shows that pops once in a while.
*SIGH* I'd be inclined to share your optimism if we were talking about literally any other medium...but finding a genuinely unique and superb anime nowadays---even among sleeper hits---is like trying to find vegetation in the arid wastes of the Sahara. But even now, I'm still looking...

On a side note, I still have yet to give Fate Zero a shot. I tried watching an episode of Fate/Stay Night, but I couldn't make it through half the runtime before the sheer, generic nature of it almost made me puke. The only positive motivation I have for going towards Zero is the stunning animation I've seen from various clips.

Seinen, Shonen, Shoujo, Josei are not genres they are simply demographics. Fantasy, SciFi, Thriller, Horror, those are genres. For example, Shonen means "boy" or "for boys". It simply refers to a person of that age and shonen manga are marketed towards that age. Seinen on the other hand are marketed to people who are over 17 or older. The female equivalent are Shoujo(For Girls) and Josei.
Whoops...Sorry for making you give a small lecture on information I already knew. I actually meant to type "category" instead of "genre." :blush:[/QUOTE]

Sieghart

"Plough the lilies"
On a side note, I still have yet to give Fate Zero a shot. I tried watching an episode of Fate/Stay Night, but I couldn't make it through half the runtime before the sheer, generic nature of it almost made me puke. The only positive motivation I have for going towards Zero is the stunning animation I've seen from various clips.

And that is why Fate/Stay Night had a remake. The first one's story was very compressed and most of the characterization was left out. Not to mention, it based on the weakest route of the Visual Novel. Do try Fate/Zero sometime. After that you can try F/SN(2014) which is currently airing at the moment.

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
*SIGH* I'd be inclined to share your optimism if we were talking about literally any other medium...but finding a genuinely unique and superb anime nowadays---even among sleeper hits---is like trying to find vegetation in the arid wastes of the Sahara. But even now, I'm still looking...
Well that's because anime wasn't really mainstream in the 80's and 90's it was more for a niche audience than just catering to the lowest common denominator.

That's the price anime has to pay to stay as a mainstream medium i guess.

WolfOD64

Well that's because anime wasn't really mainstream in the 80's and 90's it was more for a niche audience than just catering to the lowest common denominator.

That's the price anime has to pay to stay as a mainstream medium i guess.
Yes, but it's a decision that alienates just about anyone who isn't enveloped in the joyous wonders of blazing bishonen madness and cringe-inducing moe blob ecstasies.

berto

I Saw the Devil
I studied animation and I'm, eventually, going to have to start my portfolio. I remember this and I thought that yeah, Miyasaki is right, anime is not, per se, the classical concept of animation. Animation is the imitation of life but anime rarely does that. It probably wouldn't be an issue if more anime was diverse and followed life rather than it's own set of archetypes because there is alway a place for everything in this world but in anime there is practically nothing else.

I like anime, I like it quite a bit, but I also started hating it just as much. Bland, uninteresting, repetitive characters that in real life would never react to situations like that and with twisted priorities that make no sense. It's all for otakus and almost no room for anyone else to enjoy. There was a time when anime had so much to offer to a whole lot of genres but now, not so much.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
The only contemporary anime I've gotten in to over the past couple years were Attack on Titan and Watamote. And these particular shows don't succumb to the typical anime bullsh!t that's been plaguing the medium. Maybe a couple more, but I can't think of many off the top of my head.

I would compare something like Attack on Titan to The Walking Dead. My grandma loves The Walking Dead, and I told her to give Attack On Titan a shot and she also loved it. Pretty much everyone I introduced that show to liked it. It isn't so "anime fan exclusive". Just generally a good show. And Watamote was a show that was kinda taking the p!ss out of anime at times while also being just a surprisingly funny slice of life type deal.

berto

I Saw the Devil
I think the reason he dislikes otakus, and this is from what I've heard so it might be baseless, is because they were trying to force him to make anime that was more like what they like and not like what he made. In a sense it might be the reason Ghibli is shutting down, because of their behaviour or lack of support.

Again, this could be baseless.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
I think the reason he dislikes otakus, and this is from what I've heard so it might be baseless, is because they were trying to force him to make anime that was more like what they like and not like what he made. In a sense it might be the reason Ghibli is shutting down, because of their behaviour or lack of support.

Again, this could be baseless.
Disliking otaku is not an abnormal thing in Japan. The weeaboos in the west may embrace it, but like I said, over there in the east it's not generally a nice term at all.

berto

I Saw the Devil
It's also not a term limited to anime fanatics. It's more broad than that, from what I know.

Top Bottom