• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

60% of us shouldn't play dmc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angel

Is not rat, is hamster
Admin
ratings are weird...take One Flew Over The cuckoo's Nest (awesome film) for example. It's rated 18 because of when it was released and the subject matter at the time. But if it were to be released these days, I reckon you'd be looking at a 12, maybe 15 tops.

I don't know what criteria people use when rating games but it seems like they don't always take the entire game within context into account when deciding whether it's suitable or not for a younger audience.

The Joker

Why So Serious?
DIDn't Read All the Bla Bla Blaz
My Opinion
I'm 18 Yrs Old Boy So i Can DO Anything 8)
And I Can't See Anything That Can Stop Kids From Playing DMC
No **X Scams
No H***i
O_O
If ABout The Violence No Kid Hate That :p

quiksilvershado

Dodge this!!!
devilmaycry;108289 said:
Over this side of the pond, none of the Devil May Cry games even have a rating sticker. The UK doesn't use the same system as the US, we just have age tags printed on boxes which denote how old you should be before playing a game; like "12", "15" and "18" - but, from what I can remember, not a single Devil May Cry games displays an age rating. Could be wrong, though!

All the DMC games here are 15's. Just thought I'd mention that^_^

Evil Nero

Age ratings are more guides then actual law these days.

I'd rather , when I have kids , they watch all this gore and other things when there at an early age , around 8 or 9.

It's how i learnt and i'm more confident about all these 18+ stuff.
Thats what I think anyway.

Angel

Is not rat, is hamster
Admin
What needs to be taken into account is that little kids do not have the ability to handle and process information like we do - hence why it is unsuitable to show a child a graphically violent film but as an adult, they are more likely to be able to understand what is happening and process that information in a way which does not damage them.

In a legal context, exposing young children to sexual or graphic images on a regular basis without taking their development and wellbeing into account is actually a component of child abuse in some countries, as adults are supposed to be safeguarding children, not forcing mature images and themes upon them. It is better to teach your children about certain things yourself in a sensible and responsible manner rather than make them watch/particiapte in stuff which is beyond their ability to cope with.

Janny

Dines with dementia
Compared to Silent Hill, DMC isn't at all that scary. I watched someone play Silent Hill 2 when I was around 16 and I had nightmares for a month. So, at that age I was a wuss because I was kept away from this sort of stuff, and ended up being scared by almost anything. But now that I've tried my hand at Silent Hill 4, this feeling has somewhat passed.

So, what I'm trying to say is that exposing kids to some degree of gore and spooky-ness is maybe a good idea, or they'll end up being scared of their shadow, like I once was. (Yeah, having nightmares for a month was downright terrifying, but it was worth it, because I now feel somewhat free of this feeling).

So I just recommended horror games to little kids, you may now prepare your torch and pitchforks...

Angel

Is not rat, is hamster
Admin
I see what you're saying and protecting our kids from seeing ANYTHING is probably just as harmful as exposing them to EVERYTHING - but there needs to be a degree of responsibility taken when deciding how and what to show your kids.

DMC isn't scary - but for kids with a vivd imagination, some of the character designs may frighten them. Silent Hill is a whole other ball game with deeper themes than in most games and it relies heavily on the psychological apsect rather than hack and slash. I'm no 'wuss', but Silent Hill 2 especially disturbed me because some of the imagery imitated aspects of my life prior to watching it. I would not recommend exposing an eight year old to Silent Hill as I do not think it would serve any purpose other than to disturb them greatly - how are they supposed to comprehend the connotations involved, let alone deal with what is visually happening? There is a danger to desinsitizing children - they become less aware of real-life dangers and are more blase about what happens to others. Why have your children so accustomed to violence and gore that they are unfazed by it in the future to the point where this discompassionate approach extends beyond media and into the real world?

Many cannot fully separate reality from fiction and in today's games, reality is what the creators are aiming for. It's easy to see that Banjo and Kazooie is not real and neither is the violence. But a game like Condemned or Manhunt is designed to be as realistic as possible and the effect that can have on a younger audience may be more profound than we realise at the time. And it adversely affects them - you only have to visit a child who has witnessed brutal acts to see how much it has damaged them psychologically. If that child cannot distinguish between the acts on a screen and the acts in the home, where is the dividing line between fiction and realityfor them? The characters bleed - so does mum/dad/sibling.

If kids want scary stuff, start them off with Scooby Doo, not an M rated game or R rated movie...

Black Angel

Semper Fidelis
Did you all know that there is virtually NO CENSORSHIP in Japan at all?

Japan even has a lower crime rate than the U.S.(which does censer allot)

What does that tell you?

Curse

Cursed Girl
Black Angel;108837 said:
Did you all know that there is virtually NO CENSORSHIP in Japan at all?

Japan even has a lower crime rate than the U.S.(which does censer allot)

What does that tell you?

rape is like saying hello in japan ^^ you know why? cause 3/4 of the women there get molested on trains, but it stays unannounced, or so i heard >_>
but anyway there is a censorship even in loljapan o_O

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom