• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Your own hack & slash game like Devil May Cry & Bayonetta?

Ronin

Let's rock, baby!
How would you create your own hack & slash video game series like Devil May Cry?

DMC was about demons and a half-breed human was born from both races to fight them.

Bayonetta was about witches & sages. But fake angels as the enemies.

What would be yours?

Last edited:

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
I'd be going up against zany cartoony caricatures (to take out the gore factor) of people whom I disagree with.

It'd be like Sausage Party, but with even more swearing.

Last edited:

DDutchguy

DmC hype
I was thinking of a medieval setting hack n slash, but I'm not sure how well that'd do in terms of making your character powerful enough to deal with a ton of dudes at once. Hack 'n Slash games tend to make the main character magical in some way don't they?

Besides that I've got nothing lol. I think the demons is a perfect way to do it as DMC games do.

I'd be going against zany cartoony caricatures (to take out the gore factor) of people whom I disagree with.

It'd be like Sausage Party, but with even more swearing.

That's... creative.

Last edited by a moderator:

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
Besides that I've got nothing lol. I think the demons is a perfect way to do it as DMC games do.
Well, just do it in a Nightmare Realm (like a more grounded version of Castlevania) in order to make it realistic, but still fun to play. It's kind of like Catherine, only with sword fights instead of puzzles.

Your daytime sessions could just be still screens and multiple choice questions (like in those visual novels you see all the time). At least then, it would make sense from a psychoanalytical perspective.
That's... creative.
... I know. :sneaky:

Last edited:

DDutchguy

DmC hype
What about something cyberpunk unlike Metal Gear Rising?

I found something like this: http://gameideas.wikia.com/wiki/Mechabre

The idea alone of Jean-Francois Dugas and Hiroyuki Kobayashi making a game together makes my mouth water.

Whoever made that idea put an impressive amount of thought behind it, I'd probably buy it if it was a real game. The idea of Deus Ex mixed with DMC could be an interesting one, although I'm not sure if Deus Ex's "Play however you want to play" philosphy would mix well with DMCs combat.

Ronin

Let's rock, baby!
I added Bayonetta.

How about a new half-breed vampire with a werewolf/lycan as its partner? Something that rivals Castlevania.

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
There was one I came up with a while back. It'd have multiple playable characters and an open-ended mission based structure combined with dungeon crawling aspects set in a sci-fi world.

Meg

There was one I came up with a while back. It'd have multiple playable characters and an open-ended mission based structure combined with dungeon crawling aspects set in a sci-fi world.
*is intrigued* Please continue.

Mine should be obvious. It's a hack n slash game starring Lightning. God please no story. Just. Lightning. And her gun blade thing. And that anti-gravity thing on her fingers. Bringing all kinds of butt kicking. Bada-bing. Done. Instant buy.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
I'd make a Spawn game. Why the character doesn't have a great game is beyond me.

It would have a very in depth and absolutely brutal combat system. Mixing his signature axe, chains, and firearms. Probably all wrapped around a typical story of hell on Earth just to have massive sprawling levels with a demonic, trippy twist in the vein of stuff like Limbo from DmC.

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
*is intrigued* Please continue.

Mine should be obvious. It's a hack n slash game starring Lightning. God please no story. Just. Lightning. And her gun blade thing. And that anti-gravity thing on her fingers. Bringing all kinds of butt kicking. Bada-bing. Done. Instant buy.

I would but all of my files for it are on my other computer... I suppose a summary is in order.

Essentially, there are two playable characters, both of them being escapees from a genetic modification facility. Essentially prototype super soldiers. One is named Seshus, and is a humanoid who wears a black coat and whose head is shaped like a wolf skull. The other is Mardus, a dragon-like humanoid who wears a similar black coat. The two of them were brothers as humans. They both prefer using a mixture of gun and swordplay, making who you play as a matter of preference.

The idea is that the game would take place over a long period of time (half a year or so, but can be set to be longer by the player) where each in-game day constitutes a mission that you choose from a list. There would be four enemy "factions" and your goal would be to entirely eliminated them, but making one weaker will strengthen the others.

Altech Global Industries: The human faction. Their soldiers are genetically augmented to fight toe-to-toe with the renegade super soldiers and they also have mechanized weaponry as well. The main antagonist group responsible for the creation of the other factions. Their dungeons can be munitions factories, research facilities, and army barracks.

Krimson Robotics Incorporated: Originally run by Altech, Krimson was taken over by a rogue AI that sees humans as dead weight and wishes to purge them. Entirely based around mechanical enemies, sometimes mechanical recreations of enemies from other factions. Always seeking to improve their strength. Their dungeons are mechanical factories, industrialized underground complexes, and converted office buildings.

The Afflicted: Feral humans and mutated monstrosities experimented on by Altech. Once meant for use as a bioweapon, their inability to take commands or act in a sentient manner left them to be thrown away. Now they are a powerful force on their own. Smart enough to use weapons but bloodthirsty enough not to listen to reason. Their dungeons are abandoned apartments, destroyed warehouse areas and overrun military bases.

The Twisted: Altech's "last resort", essentially a reset button in organic form. The Twisted are former humans that have been modified into monsters hardly resembling their origin. When activated, they converge together to form massive spires and abduct living creatures to turn into more Twisted. They take many forms, and are essentially the game's "endgame" enemies. Their dungeons are underground hives, overrun urban areas and their enormous spires.

Dungeons would work on a floor-by-floor basis with anywhere from 1 to 10 floors, with special dungeons able to exceed 10. Dungeons 3 floors or longer have a mid-boss in the middle floor (I.E. if it's a 1 to 5 floor dungeon the mid-boss would be on floor 3, and so on) with a guardian boss in the room preceding the dungeon's core. Once the core boss is destroyed, currency and weapons are awarded to be used or sold along with upgrade materials for weapons.

Missions are what you play between dungeons. They consist of short objective-based stages such as "destroy group of renegade Twisted" or "defeat Krimson Inc. boss robot". Once a certain number of missions are completed, a dungeon belonging to the weakened faction opens up. Once the dungeon is completed, it is considered destroyed, though it can be revisited for gameplay purposes.

EDIT: Upon painstakingly hooking up my old computer to get the document back, I've made a few errors. There are 8 playable characters with a different passive and active skill each, meaning choice suits player preference in a different way. The names of the main two viral constructs (apparently they never were human, schwoops) are Ezek and Rai, respectively.

Last edited:

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
There's the Sausage Party thing, but there's also several other hack n' slash games (combined with other genres) that I want as well.

I'd combine Zelda, Sonic, and DMC into one glorious overworld that you can run and dash through.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
I wanted to do something like what Splatoon was for shooters. Maybe a world of cartoon animals or one like the Struggle mini game of KH2.

I wanted to have a team of space cadets be the heros as they fight through a conflict within the solar system.

A game where you play as a young werewolf who was raised by his parents to kill vampires.

A world like the boy and the beast

Goldsickle

Did a side-scrolling hack and slash game but had to cancel halfway because the programmer isn't around a lot and the project was way too ambitious for just two people.
I needed one more person to draw tiled backgrounds.

The thing about side-scrolling games is that every time you see one, it's a "retro homage" kind of crap where your character can only shoot left or right or get damaged by touching the enemy.

The game I made has various stances and animations, like attacking, guarding and even parrying.
Took me 6 months (with some procrastination in between) just to draw and animate the main character and her enemies, even though the enemies were palette-swaps.
You can also launch an enemy up to the air and hit them with an air combo but it's not as smooth as in Devil May Cry.

At the very least there was a "playable demo" which I submitted to Newgrounds and deviantART, just so people can experience the engine a little.

I feel like returning to make another side-scrolling game one of these days but programmed by myself.

Ronin

Let's rock, baby!
Would you all want a hack & slash vampire/dhampir to be the next hero?

DMC: Half-demon
Bayonetta: Umbran Witch & Lumen Sage child
God of War: Child of a Greek god

Absent Nova

Phantom Thief
I want this guy in a hack n slash

images

AgentRedgrave

Legendary Devil Hunter
I already have an oc who's a dhampir (that's a human/vampire hybrid, for those who don't know) who works as a paranormal investigator/monster hunter.
The tone and setting is very Sin City like, accept instead of over-the-top criminals, it's vampires, werewolves, demons, and other supernatural creatures.

Top Bottom